• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

holymantle

Neo Member
Mimic chests are maybe my least favorite thing about this DLC. I put 700+ hours into the original BoI and I'm approaching 1000 in Rebirth/Afterbirth/AB+. It's become a force of habit to charge into every brown chest I see. But after all this time, I suddenly have to take my time and approach them with caution out of fear of a mimic? There are a lot of bullshit additions to AB+, but that might be the worst. It's just so unnecessary.

That happens to me too. I think everyone does that. It feels kind of unfair to have to start being careful now (and awful for speedruns, too)

Yukinari

Now i have no intention to play AB+ but im enjoying the fact that someone on /v/ is whipping up a steak mod.

Im not sure why this was acceptable to release because now Edmund is gonna get even more flak than he already did.

zulux21

I think the mimic chests are hilarious.

I think they would be a decent joke tied to a trinket. You know one that clearly does something good such as increase your attack, but has like a 10% chance that any chest turns into a mimic one.

just having it as a random thing is rather meh.

just like I never was a fan of adding gold rooms that had enemies or spikes in afterbirth.

now it seems like half of the gold rooms have two greed enemies in there @_@

MrPanic

Just gonna chime in here and add to the sentiment that the new dlc is disappointing so far. The new floor is a total waste, the new bosses are weak additions overall and some stuff like the rather high number of portals and the mimic chest make the typical Isaac run just a bit more annoying for me. So far the new items that I got were mechanically interesting, but they really don't feel like they add anything new to the game. It might just be Antibirth that really spoiled me with lots of good stuff, but I'm just not feeling this atm.

Meia

I like the idea lore-wise of the final floor with the final boss far more than it's implementation.

There just seems to be too much RNG now, which is never fun in a game like this. Mimic chests are a low chance, I do know that, yet I've had situations where I've had them consecutively. The final floor is also a pain in that there's
a ton of boss rooms, but the real boss is hiding in one of them, while the others have regular bosses that give you powerups like always. Considering how hard the last boss is, you WANT all the powerups possible, but you may get unlucky and not get them. It's just more RNG.

The new bullet sponges aren't too bad, really. The early portals can suck, just have to almost dive bomb them first instead of killing the other enemies first, which is what we're all used to. The new spiders sort of suck with how many hits they take, but they're also slow as hell and should never hit you, so they're a low priority.

Bate

The portals are painful, but the purpose behind them from a design standpoint I get. They switch the enemy pattern up rather nicely. However, they are far, far too frequent.

What does Void do?

I press when there are coins and nothing. I press when I am in an item room and if its say teleport 2.0 it just teleports me, if its a passive item that item disappears and there seems to be no benefit

MrPanic

What does Void do?

I press when there are coins and nothing. I press when I am in an item room and if its say teleport 2.0 it just teleports me, if its a passive item that item disappears and there seems to be no benefit

It eats pedestal items. If it's a active item, its effect will get stacked onto the void item, basically allowing you to stack multiple active item effects onto the Void item. If used on a passive item, it gives a random stat upgrade. (turn on 'found hud' in the options so you can see what exactly happened)

It eats pedestal items. If it's a active item, its effect will get stacked onto the void item, basically allowing you to stack multiple active item effects onto the Void item. If used on a passive item, it gives a random stat upgrade. (turn on 'found hud' in the options so you can see what exactly happened)

So in a run I pressed it on Teleport and I teleported, when I went back to the room the teleport was still there. Would that Teleport give me aa boost and could I go back to it and redo once recharged?

holymantle

Neo Member
What does Void do?

It gave me blue flies a few times but I don't know how I did it.

MrPanic

So in a run I pressed it on Teleport and I teleported, when I went back to the room the teleport was still there. Would that Teleport give me aa boost and could I go back to it and redo once recharged?

So it copied the teleport effect but it left the Teleport item in the room? Sounds like a weird edge case to me. Voiding it again would probably just try to copy the effect again, so it wouldn't do anything useful for you since the teleport effect is already burned into the void item.

Finalow

what the fuck was this room? Full of Blastocysts when I entered, I took the screen a bit after I killed some.

D5A9D58BE7F2F719CBFF31C4BF12E69BA8D2BD78
it also had a portal in the middle. some sort of bug I want to hope because that's ridiculously stupid.
same goes for the champion version of Brownie, is that really not bugged? He spawns something like 20 Drowned Chargers after 2 seconds, if you don't have a good build to kill him fast you're just dead.

speaking of bosses, the Vis Sisters. if you thought The Bloat was bad, wait until you meet that one.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

It should make the item vanish when you use the void, sounds like a bug.

Finalow

at least, I'm enjoying the new character and the new items.

not a fan of how the new extra area is designed but I liked the boss there. I managed to beat it but I had no idea what I was going to fight and ended up being hit like 10 times, his attacks get crazy fast.

The release makes me believe that they thought that Greed mode was unpopular because it was too easy, but I don't think that's really why Greed mode was unpopular at all, and Greedier just makes the whole thing even more unfun.

Some of these new rooms and bosses feel really unbalanced and rushed.

Like they spent all their time making cool items and a new character and didn't bother testing new rooms

Facism

is Afterbirth actually required to play this? Steam page just says i need Rebirth? Would jump on it for the £5 price, but i don't have Afterbirth.

Right, their homepage says you need afterbirth and that there's a discount for afterbirth owners. Not sure why i'm getting a discount as i don't have afterbirth. They really need to sort out their information on the steam store page.

MrPanic

is Afterbirth actually required to play this? Steam page just says i need Rebirth? Would jump on it for the £5 price, but i don't have Afterbirth.

Right, their homepage says you need afterbirth and that there's a discount for afterbirth owners. Not sure why i'm getting a discount as i don't have afterbirth. They really need to sort out their information on the steam store page.

Afterbirth+ does not work without Afterbirth.

Facism

Afterbirth+ does not work without Afterbirth.

I'm either blind or they need that information on the store page. As it is, it just says "This content requires the base game The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on Steam in order to play."

Mr. Virus

After spending the night playing AB+, I can't help but feel like Antibirth is the far superior expansion from both a content and creative standpoint. A lot of the new additions in AB+ feel uninspired. Things like Stonies and Portals on the early floors can make things very overwhelming for underpowered characters, and the new bosses are even tankier and cheaper than the ones added in Afterbirth. I am enjoying the new character and the new challenges were mostly a blast, but other than that, nothing has captivated me so far.

I'll probably keep playing until I 100% the game (again), but after that I won't be surprised if I spend the bulk of my time back on Antibirth. It's such a breath of fresh air compared to AB+, which feels like more of the same (and not in a good way).

I'm really hoping the manage to get Antibirth in with Afterbirth+, or at least use the extra content from the DLC. Everything I've seen from it looks impressive, especially when AB+ seems a bit... light.

Berordn

I'm really hoping the manage to get Antibirth in with Afterbirth+, or at least use the extra content from the DLC. Everything I've seen from it looks impressive, especially when AB+ seems a bit... light.

I should think the entirety of Antibirth should be able to be added to Afterbirth+... eventually. Might take a while since I don't think they were coding in Lua but as long as the mod features are strong enough...

I think Edmund said so himself?

fake edit: he did!

Some changes I'd make

- Portals have their spawn rate reduced drastically, along with drastically lowering the chance of a portal room appearing in the earlier floors, and ramping up more towards the end of the game. Portals make no thematic sense in the basement, but are perfect for later stages like Sheol and even fit somewhat into the Womb. Add a rare champion variant that has the original spawn rate.

- Remove mimic chests entirely or tie them to a trinket. An idea I saw on reddit was for a trinket that increases stats slightly, but also gives a chance to change chests into surprise spike chests. So there's a risk/reward system. Right now the chests just slow down the game because you need to approach every single chest in the game with care, which is really bad. Spike mimics just feel completely counter to the design of the game. The series already has a "lel trollololo" chest, and it's putting troll bombs into chests. Why is there yet another layer of punishment?

- There are item rooms with poop instead of items. What in the world?

- Drastically reduce the HP of Big Horn and the Sisters Vis. It's absurd the HP they have.

- Add an animation "tell" to the Sisters so you know which attack they're going to use. It's just poor boss design to not have any sort of warning in place for what attack they're going to use, especially when they're dodged in completely different ways.

- Get rid of every single Lost run ending rooms. 7 Blasts, Drowned Leech Brownie. Those things have no place in the game at all and do not add anything to the game besides "lel you died due to a random room being unbeatable with your character" Every single room in the game should be tested with Lost to ensure it's actually possible to beat with that character. These stages and bosses just don't feel play tested at all.

- lol Greedier mode. This almost seems designed out of spite. "You didn't think Greed Mode was fun? OKAY HOW ABOUT NOW!"

Things that are good/great and don't need to change
- The Mushroom enemies are quite frankly the best new enemy. Simple in design, has RNG elements, but isn't unfair.

- The rock Fatties. Yea... I actually don't mind these. They're kind of annoying, but not really terrible. A little too common maybe. I think they're fine.

- All of the new items are fantastic. I think like 75% of the effort went into making the mod tools, 20% went into new items, and 4% on the new challenges and 1% got the rest of the effort, and it shows.

- The new character is great. Super overpowered if used right, but if used poorly is terrible. Don't suck up a D6 or D8, kids.

- The new challenges are great. Pong was the single most powerful I have ever felt in Isaac. Brim + Guppy + Tammy's Head, I was unstoppable.

Played a bit last night on a new file. Enjoying it so far, but a lot is still unseen. Mimic chests are funny, but it's going to take awhile for me to change my habits and not just instantly rush into silver chests. Only ran into one new boss, can't remember the name, but the hands come out of the ground and ruin my day. Had no clue what Void did for Apollyon. I kept restarting runs and tried to use it on enemies before just looking it up lol.

Magwik

Banned
Some changes I'd make

- Portals have their spawn rate reduced drastically, along with drastically lowering the chance of a portal room appearing in the earlier floors, and ramping up more towards the end of the game. Portals make no thematic sense in the basement, but are perfect for later stages like Sheol and even fit somewhat into the Womb. Add a rare champion variant that has the original spawn rate.

- Remove mimic chests entirely or tie them to a trinket. An idea I saw on reddit was for a trinket that increases stats slightly, but also gives a chance to change chests into surprise spike chests. So there's a risk/reward system. Right now the chests just slow down the game because you need to approach every single chest in the game with care, which is really bad. Spike mimics just feel completely counter to the design of the game. The series already has a "lel trollololo" chest, and it's putting troll bombs into chests. Why is there yet another layer of punishment?

- There are item rooms with poop instead of items. What in the world?

- Drastically reduce the HP of Big Horn and the Sister's Vis. It's absurd the HP they have.

- Add an animation "tell" to the Sisters so you know which attack they're going to use. It's just poor boss design to not have any sort of warning in place for what attack they're going to use, especially when they're dodged in completely different ways.

- Get rid of every single Lost run ending rooms. 7 Blasts, Drowned Leech Brownie. Those things have no place in the game at all and do not add anything to the game besides "lel you died due to a random room being unbeatable with your character" Every single room in the game should be tested with Lost to ensure it's actually possible to beat with that character. These stages and bosses just don't feel play tested at all.

- lol Greedier mode. This almost seems designed out of spite. "You didn't think Greed Mode was fun? OKAY HOW ABOUT NOW!"

Things that are good/great and don't need to change
- The Mushroom enemies are quite frankly the best new enemy. Simple in design, has RNG elements, but isn't unfair.

- The rock Fatties. Yea... I actually don't mind these. They're kind of annoying, but not really terrible. A little too common maybe. I think they're fine.

- All of the new items are fantastic. I think like 75% of the effort went into making the mod tools, 20% went into new items, and 4% on the new challenges and 1% got the rest of the effort, and it shows.

- The new character is great. Super overpowered if used right, but if used poorly is terrible. Don't suck up a D6 or D8, kids.

- The new challenges are great. Pong was the single most powerful I have ever felt in Isaac. Brim + Guppy + Tammy's Head, I was unstoppable.
Yeah I've come to terms with the price of the expansion being mostly for mod tools and some items.

DrArchon

What exactly makes the new character so potentially good? I've played around with them and I have no idea how to properly use Void, so most of the time he's just a WAY worse Isaac.

packy34

What exactly makes the new character so potentially good? I've played around with them and I have no idea how to properly use Void, so most of the time he's just a WAY worse Isaac.

Void takes on the powers of any active item it consumes. If the RNG falls your way, you can become insanely overpowered. You could turn Mega into a 6-charge item, stacked with whatever else you consume with Void. It's nuts.

And consuming passive items grants a random stat boost... almost always damage, from my experience.

Sucking up a D6 doesn't seem bad as implemented. It appears that you get the original item rather than the rerolled one, like Void decides its effect before it applies the reroll.

This could be a bug. Heck, this could be a bug already fixed in the overnight patch. But for now it doesn't seem to be overly useful, but not a deal-breaker.

DrArchon

Void takes on the powers of any active item it consumes. If the RNG falls your way, you can become insanely overpowered. You could turn Mega into a 6-charge item, stacked with whatever else you consume with Void. It's nuts.

And consuming passive items grants a random stat boost... almost always damage, from my experience.

OK, I get it. So I can Void up a bunch of books for example and then have them all go off at once next time I activate Void in a fight. That's pretty cool.

If you find Forget Me Now, Pandora's Box or Diplopia you've basically broken the run wide open.

Also if you collect random non-space bar items they get turned into stats. So rather than just leaving Bob's Brain sitting there, you can turn it into pure stats. This is where he can grow to be a much better character than Isaac. He's a lot more forgiving when you find terrible items since they actually serve a purpose.

Sucking up a D6 doesn't seem bad as implemented. It appears that you get the original item rather than the rerolled one, like Void decides its effect before it applies the reroll.

This could be a bug. Heck, this could be a bug already fixed in the overnight patch. But for now it doesn't seem to be overly useful, but not a deal-breaker.

From what I saw last night in a stream, D6 activated before Void and a random item was absorbed.

packy34

OK, I get it. So I can Void up a bunch of books for example and then have them all go off at once next time I activate Void in a fight. That's pretty cool.

Yes, exactly. Northernlion consumed Glass Cannon in his first run... don't make that mistake.

Yep. Just be careful, as stated there are items that can be really bad to suck up, or you need to be super careful in doing so.

Like, watch out in sucking up Kamikaze, the Bible, Glass Cannon, the Active Bomb item, Sharp Plug. Stuff like that.

That's not to say there aren't times when sucking up some of these would be really powerful. Sharp Plug can be brutal on Void, you just need to be sure you know what you are doing.

Err, I stated that weird. Obviously I mean be careful in taking Sharp Plug with Void, as you can't really suck it up except in super weird corner cases and even if you could that wouldn't be the problem.

DrArchon

Well, if you all are so convinced that the new character is good, then I'll stick with him. It's not like I have anything better to do though, except maybe Hard Greed mode.

Getting raw stats for crap like Bob's Brain or some of the random bomb upgrades when I'm sitting on a stack of bombs already seems like a nice deal. Certainly a more consistent way to deal with crappy items than praying when you use Isaac's D6.

rahji

just looked at the steam page and afterbirth+ has...mixed ratings? I read a view reviews and they seem plausible and from players who played 200+ hours of the rebirth/afterbirth and I have to ask here: is it really that bad?
I know the launch of a issac expansion is always rough but I cannot imagine that it is that bad.

packy34

just looked at the steam page and afterbirth+ has...mixed ratings? I read a view reviews and they seem plausible and from players who played 200+ hours of the rebirth/afterbirth and I have to ask here: is it really that bad?
I know the launch of a issac expansion is always rough but I cannot imagine that it is that bad.

It's not bad, but it's somewhat imbalanced right now and the new final boss may or may not be bugged in several ways.

Also, Antibirth (huge user-created mod) recently released and kinda cast a shadow over AB+ since it's a much more robust overhaul... and it's free.

Some of the new rooms, enemies and bosses are not balanced very well at all. The boss that is supposed to close out the entire series is also not really that interesting. It has one frame of animation, the rest are re-used assets...

DrArchon

I haven't played too much of Afterbirth+, but even I could've told them that Portals and Stone Fatties were popping up way too often in the first floor of the basement. The Portals are especially a nightmare the way it is now for any character I played that didn't start with some way to boost their tear power.

The Stone Fatties were challenging but mostly fine outside of a couple of cases, and the Portals would've been fine too if they didn't pump out enemies so fast. But to have both of these kinds of enemies popping up before getting to your first treasure room is a little much.

Link to the Antibirth devs talking about the mod tools?

gSREpsB.png

I haven't played too much of Afterbirth+, but even I could've told them that Portals and Stone Fatties were popping up way too often in the first floor of the basement. The Portals are especially a nightmare the way it is now for any character I played that didn't start with some way to boost their tear power.

The Stone Fatties were challenging but mostly fine outside of a couple of cases, and the Portals would've been fine too if they didn't pump out enemies so fast. But to have both of these kinds of enemies popping up before getting to your first treasure room is a little much.

Yea, I think Stone Fatties are fine as a concept, but they're wayyy too common early in the game. They're also way too common in Greed mode.

I wouldn't say Afterbirth+ is bad but I'll definitely say that when you compare it and Antibirth side by side you can see which one tried new things and came at the game from a different and incredibly creative angle.

Like, maybe after so many iterations and development the team is just burned out. I'm not gonna fault them or be angry that they gave me a game I sunk 600 hours into but after all this time they just keep adding modes or characters or items or enemies or bosses that just kinda...suck. Like they focused on the wrong things as to why we played Isaac in the first place. Like the difference between something being frustrating and something being difficult.

I wouldn't say Afterbirth+ is bad but I'll definitely say that when you compare it and Antibirth side by side you can see which one tried new things and came at the game from a different and incredibly creative angle.

Like, maybe after so many iterations and development the team is just burned out. I'm not gonna fault them or be angry that they gave me a game I sunk 600 hours into but after all this time they just keep adding modes or characters or items or enemies or bosses that just kinda...suck. Like they focused on the wrong things as to why we played Isaac in the first place. Like the difference between something being frustrating and something being difficult.

I think that's part of why they're opening up development to the community with official mods.

They've basically done everything they can think of with rooms and layouts and bosses. I believe Edmund even said as much.

I also think the update started as only mod tools, and expanding to have new content, so the new content was kind of thrown in because 10 dollars for mod tools would have been silly.

That's such a massive letdown. The past week I've been enjoying the hell out of Antibirth and how incredibly creative it was. Fast forward to yesterday and we've got champion brownie, blastocyst gang rape, unbalanced mess all around.

I just sit and look at a boss like wormwood and think "it's tough... but I can visually see what the fuck is going on and how to avoid it next time" and it's just really a letdown.

Top Bottom