• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
There's apparently another patch coming soon to fix a sidequest issue, but it seems that based on the wording there are other things being addressed also. Hopefully maybe adjustments to the performance mode image quality

eOUKpsb.png

Finished it the other night, 113 hours clocked, all but one (bugged) sidequest complete, all regions 100% clear, 95% of VR battles done. Conclusion: GOTY. Let me get into the meat and potatoes, there is a lot to discuss here. I'll use spoiler tags where I think it's appropriate, I'm happy to say that after a 1 year media blackout I was able to avoid all spoilers throughout my playthrough, praise the Lifestream.

The original FFVII is rightly considered one of the greatest games of all time, it is one of my personal favourites and one whose impact and influence is immeasurable. Remake was a brilliant return to this world many of us hold dear to our hearts, they simply *nailed* it. The characters looked exactly as they should, the story beats were all there, key moments lavishly recreated, Uematsu's iconic sound once again driving the materia engine onward and upward. It also made clear that this would also be a reimagining of sorts, things perhaps playing out not *quite* as we remember them. Well, by almighty God I was *all in*.

My expectations were sky high for Rebirth and the team delivered ALL the goods. Let me get the things I *didn't* quite like out of the way first though:

- Overreliance on Chadley who really started to grate after the first dozen hours

- a few of the mini-games were unnecessary/annoying, should have been one and done (Chocobo wrangling, moogles)

- slow as molasses movement when doing stuff like moving crates. QTE's like crawling on the ground should have been an automated cutscenes

- I prefer the traditional limit break/summon systems though I completely appreciate how these modern systems play into battle strategy

Everything else? Straight into my veins. Loved the variety and volume of mini-games which - when considered proportionally - make perfect sense given the expanded scope/scale of the game. QB, Chocobo races, piano and Fort Condor were favourites. Combat is so damn good, I can forgive the limit break, well, *limitations* since the synergy attacks are essentially limit breaks in their own right. Really wish there were unique, three member team-up attacks, maybe in part 3... there is a dope team up cinematic with Cloud, Tifa and Barrett during the final boss battle maybe hinting at it? I'm probably reaching lol Then you've got sequences like the one in Junon, once simple transformed into the grandiose, I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was seeing.

One of the things I appreciated most was how willing the game was to be silly and over-the-top, there were countless moments that made me actually laugh out loud. I read that they really wanted to illustrate the sisterly-like bond between Tifa and Aerith which was always intended but maybe didn't come through in the original. Boy did they succeed here, it's probably my favourite dynamic in the entire game, just wholesome and charming. Ultimately all the banter between the various characters is tremendous though, a rag-tag group from my past truly brought to life.

I'd skimmed through some of the posts in this thread (careful to avoid spoilers!) as it pertains to the ending with some seeming to criticize how it all plays out. The truth is I don't know what some of you mfs are smoking because the entire ending sequence (which I count from the start of ch.13 onward) was nothing short of epic and transcendent. One couldn't have asked for a cooler final dungeon and everything after that? Wow. there were multiple moments here that genuinely made me emotional from Zack moving the hands of fate and teaming up with Cloud to Aerith pushing Cloud into the Lifestream, Sephiroth approaching behind her, absolutely spectacular stuff, the emotion and energy powerful and triumphant .

I could write so much more, this will undoubtedly be my GOTY come the end of 2024 and I couldn't be more excited for part 3, I don't know how they are going to top this. The team went above and beyond so that any issues I have with the game are completely outshone by the grandeur of the whole, this was quite the journey, a *reunion* with old friends. Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, Barrett, Red, Yuffie, Vincent, Cid and yes, even you Cait, when the time comes I'll be ready, we've got one last mission ahead of us, Final Fantasy for life ⚔️.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Jesus, Cait Sith reactor section is worst tham FF16 lets build a ship quest, geez, is a annoying slow walking mini game filled part with bad combat sections, someone just kill me... This was such a good part on the OG game, they killed all the manor atmosphere and mood, even the music is trash tier.

FFS EVERY FUCKING THING IS A FUKING MINI GAME, SO HAPPY THAT THIS GAME WAS A RENTAL.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Finally beat fucking Jules, not that the champion belt is worth it in this game. But the best advise is; mute your sound and stick to one button layout (I prefer start with L1, otherwise I reset) and stick to one speed. Don't go much faster, you need to find a certain rhythm to get about 51 ish within the time. I didn't look at the characters at all, it doesn't matter.

Jesus, Cait Sith reactor section is worst tham FF16 lets build a ship quest, geez, is a annoying slow walking mini game filled part with bad combat sections, someone just kill me... This was such a good part on the OG game, they killed all the manor atmosphere and mood, even the music is trash tier.

FFS EVERY FUCKING THING IS A FUKING MINI GAME, SO HAPPY THAT THIS GAME WAS A RENTAL.

I like this game but yes I do hope part 3 tones down on the mini games massively. I like a good chunk of them mind you, but I don't want them to be part of the main story bar a few, and side quests such as the relic quests that while lore wise are good (like in Cosmo Canyon) constantly put you into a shitty minigame which is a shame.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

I like this game but yes I do hope part 3 tones down on the mini games massively. I like a good chunk of them mind you, but I don't want them to be part of the main story bar a few, and side quests such as the relic quests that while lore wise are good (like in Cosmo Canyon) constantly put you into a shitty minigame which is a shame.
At the moment this game is a 8/10 (almost a 7 If wasnt for my nostalgia ) for me, i dont mind mini games but everything in this game is a minigame, like you said, there is good content locked behind awful side quests and mini games, i m feeling burned out by ALL of this shit, hopefully i m at the last part of the game.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

That was the greatest ever sequence I've ever experienced in a game from start to finish. The art direction, the music, the cutscene direction, the suspense, the characterisation, the battles, journey through the temple and everything about it. The emotions holy fucking shit.

I haven't even completed the game yet but I need part 3 ASAP. God speed Hamaguchi, Kitase, Nomura and co!!!

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Hopefully that patch is released soon. That side quest is all that's in my way to advancing to chapter 13 and going on to finish the game. I'm comping at the bit here.

Hopefully that patch is released soon. That side quest is all that's in my way to advancing to chapter 13 and going on to finish the game. I'm comping at the bit here.

There is no need to wait, you can do chapter select after completing the story and it saves all your completed quests progress.

Still doing side quests at 150 hours in 😅. I think this is the longest game ever for me. Longer now than elden ring anyway.

Unlike that game I'am not really feeling fatigue, between the mini games, side-quests and more varied combat I'm still loving it. Interestingly I'am not fast traveling that much moving through this world is very satisfying.

Also this game can be a proper next gen show case at times. Outside of Spider-Man 2 and Ratchet this might be the best showcase for the PS5 SSD.

Endgame Gameplay spoilers below and nerdy stats!

The Tiny Bronco is frigging fast! Using the in game meters it goes about 300km to 350km per hour. Way quicker than flying in Horizon or whatever, only Spider-Man moves as fast at least that I'am aware off.

Seamlessly driving the buggy from Gold Saucer to Costa del Sol then zipping across the ocean to Junon is one of the most Next Gen feelings I've got so far.

It's all the same world and real as far as I can see. I.e you can see Npcs from the Tiny Bronco that are present when wondering around town.

I'm really appreciate square not putting in that bullshit open fog some other games have. It really makes this open world feel much bigger than other open world games. Personally I think that's more important than being able to see peach fuzz on Aloy's chin!

Also other nerdy fact the Junon cannon is over 800m according to the games measurements!😂😂

Reaseru

I'm starting to think it will be of a extremely bad taste if Square, after putting on this "fighting fate" theme in this remake trilogy, doesn't give at least to both Aerith and Zach a happier ending

I really hope the final game makes emends with both characters. If Square didn't wanted to change their demise, why did they choose to explore this all "change fate" thing? If they wanted the story to remain the same, they should had stick with the original one (story).

Edit: All that talk about different timelines/multiverses, and the only difference between the remake timeline and the original one, seems to be that Cloud, instead of scratching his left nut in the morning, decides to scratch the right one.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I'm starting to think it will be of a extremely bad taste if Square, after putting on this "fighting fate" theme in this remake trilogy, doesn't give at least to both Aerith and Zach a happier ending

I really hope the final game makes emends with both characters. If Square didn't wanted to change their demise, why did they choose to explore this all "change fate" thing? If they wanted the story to remain the same, they should had stick with the original one (story).

Edit: All that talk about different timelines/multiverses, and the only difference between the remake timeline and the original one, seems to be that Cloud, instead of scratching his left nut in the morning, decides to scratch the right one.

I don't know what happened but perhaps Square dialed it back after the backlash Remake got. Biggs finally went nowhere, and they decided to kill Wedge via a flashback in a sidequest, while it was still kind of open in Remake as you didn't see his corpse. Jessie is also confirmed dead.

Maybe it ends as the original. But now you see Aerith's POV too. Her spirit was also present in the original ending, but you didn't see it. Now we may see what she accomplishes from the lifestream. I think she and Zack reunite there and the game ends similar to the original with them both dead. The parralel worlds will probably disappear once the battle is over.

Perhaps nothing changes after all.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
One of the things that's been bothering me...

In the original FFVII, it is implied that the Sephiroth you're chasing through most of the game is in fact a shape shift Jenova, who has apparently divided into parts after breaking out of the Shrina building. The black hooded guys were just people with Jenova cells that were being driven to the reunion due to containing the cells.

However, in this Sephiroth can apparently highjack any of the robed dudes bodies for his own benefit. Same with Jenova. This seems like a big change and I guess my question is since Jenova is no longer the one being chased, where is the one that broke out of the Shinra building?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I'm currently in Mt. Corel mine and I can't progress the Tonberry Johny quest because the path seems to be blocked. I'm safe to assume I need to progress further into the story, right?

Luipadre

Reached chapter 12 and game opens up even more with more sidequests in every area??? Shit never ends. I must say the highs are really high in this game, but the lows are also incredibly low. I'd say im having a really great time 70% of the time, the rest tho...

Lokaum D+

Reached chapter 12 and game opens up even more with more sidequests in every area??? Shit never ends. I must say the highs are really high in this game, but the lows are also incredibly low. I'd say im having a really great time 70% of the time, the rest tho...
I m at the same chapter and im feeling really burned out, i would say that aside from some cutscenes this game isnt fun anymore, i dont know who ideia to bloat the game lenght this much was ( everything that was like 15min on the OG game is now 3/4 hours )but, If part 3 is anything close to this i m out.

Now i can see why some reports shows that rebirth sold less than remake and even 16

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yes there is a lot of things to do but its not all required. However I did everything so far anyway. I liked new quests added to old locations. And for some reason I liked doing the busywork in Nibelheim. The area is kind of fun and easy to traverse. Its with Grasslands my favourite area.

I just didn't like doing all the stuff in Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon, as I don't like those fields. And Junon was so so.

I think the game was better off if not every area was filled with the same checklist. Junon could've had less, after Grasslands. Gongaga was better off being reduced too, that surrounding area sucks and the dungeon there sucks too and has to be done twice with a stupid and useless reveal at the end. Corel already has Cosmo Canyon and Gold Saucer, which have enough busywork themselves.

The game was also better off if the sidequests weren't filled with minigames. I hated the protorelic quests of Cosmo Canyon and Corel. But Nibelheim, Grasslands was good. And Junon was so so again because I like Fort Condor a lot in Intermission, but the timer fucks it up here. Pretty good materia and enemy skills are behind all the busywork, since you need to do them for the VR missions to unlock. You can beat normal mode without many of those ofcourse, as the game is very forgiving.

I hope they reduce the minigames in part 3, or at least leave them completely optional. And let Chadley be your VR combat handler and nothing more.

That said, the minigames can be of high quality, such as the Piano, Queens gambit, chocobo racing.

In short I think there is too much stuff tied to these minigames and checklist quests.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Cosmo Canyon - Glide De Chocobo - just why? Why did someone as Square think let’s put a flying / gliding mini game in next’? It’s just completely unnecessary.

Yes - I know it’s optional.

Luipadre

Who decided to make a solo combat challenge for Aerith againts 2 bombs? The fact that retrying it takes like 20 sec, because of all the slow ass shit animations and things you have to click trough makes it even more annoying. All these little animations and fade to black on every single thing is making me lose sanity after 70 hours

Flabagast

Who decided to make a solo combat challenge for Aerith againts 2 bombs? The fact that retrying it takes like 20 sec, because of all the slow ass shit animations and things you have to click trough makes it even more annoying. All these little animations and fade to black on every single thing is making me lose sanity after 70 hours
Put sleep on one of them at all times and the fight become much easier.

Also her light shield allows you to counter all their projectiles

protonion

Elemental + fire materia on armor.
Keep running to avoid the fireballs.
Attack one time at a time when possible.
Sorcerous storm close to them.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Make sure to read and understand all your abilities and spells at your disposal. Make use of buffs, debuffs, and crowd control.

A lot of folks struggling with these fights forget they have those tools.

SkylineRKR

I beat all Chocobo races. The gold cup went in one go, I used Aponi and just used her special to cut corners. You can also take the chocobo with the projectile since only Joe will be in front of you, the rest on the grid is a non issue.

So you get Hyperion gear from the first 3 legend races.. but by then you're pretty much finished.

Its tough but don't sleep on lustrous shield, you are safe behind it. And I guess you can put Elemental+Fire on her defense to nullify their damage if you've leveled up Elemental, which you should have. Give her First Strike too (I always have it on Aerith to start normal battles with Radiant Ward). And Magnify+Blizzard. I didn't bother to respec her for this fight, but this way it should be easy.

Barret and Tifa's were very easy, and Clouds is kind of easy as well if you know what to do.

Last edited:

Synless

Make sure to read and understand all your abilities and spells at your disposal. Make use of buffs, debuffs, and crowd control.

A lot of folks struggling with these fights forget they have those tools.
Alternatively, just level up element materia and fire… boom, bobs your uncle.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Basically every tough combat has its solution but at the end of the game you need to put some thought into it and be more tactical about materias and which compétences to use. Which is a good thing imho
Yeah I like how some enemies and bosses specific way to pressure them, this is why I'm enjoying those combat challenge quests.

SkylineRKR

Alternatively, just level up element materia and fire… boom, bobs your uncle.

Yeah if you've played Remake, you should know how good Elemental is. I always have it on my chars, and you can equip it with an AP up too for powerleveling. Its one of the best materias in the game alongside magnify, first strike and Enemy Skill.

Should I save these Gilgamesh island fights until after I beat the game?

I’m lvl47 and beat one of the battles but Odin and Alexander are kicking my ass

Lokaum D+

Finished the game after 100 hours and i didnt do everything, fuck nostalgia i should give this game a 7/10 but i ll end up with a 8/10.

Combat ia great but the side content is just awful imo, there is really great lore hidden on these shit sidequests and minigames, my hope is that they tune down minigames in part 3 since the atmosphere should be way more tense.

Thats It for me, ll think a little bit about the game and ll edit this post later.

Barakov

Playing the final boss and I'm pretty sure I hate everyone at Square Enix right now.

EDIT : Fuck it. I uninstalled. After a bullshit one hit kill from the final boss, I'm done with this thing. It's a little early but it's probably going to be my biggest disappointment of the year. I'm going to save the space on my PS5 ssd and play something that's actually fun. Fuck Nomura and co. they dropped the ball as far as I'm concerned. Whoever thought it was a good idea to force you to start from the VERY BEGINNING of the boss fight(which has several stages) after you die is an idiot. I'll just watch the ending on youtube.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I’m up to costa del sol and I have to say I deeply miss the weapon upgrade system from 1 that allowed me to fine tune characters a little.

The replacement is very surface level and the folios are whack.

Neolombax

Finally finished the game at close to 100hrs, finished most sidequests except for the chocobo races, the final protorelic quests and Johnny's collectathon. I've never played the OG FF7 before, I've seen my friend play bits and pieces of it, but thats about it. Had zero nostalgia for the game, and I have some issues. The story was a bit disappointing for me, more with how it was presented and I generally found it confusing. Initially planned to write down all the confusing bits about this game, but deleted it because it became a wall of text.

But I had a very good time playing this, the gameplay was a lot of fun. Minigames we're a bit on the high side, but it was still tolerable for me.

Top Bottom