• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just gonna drop in and say this was an incredible game. It's not perfect, but when you have over 100 hours of content with a huge amount of variety, that's to be expected. The scope and scale is amazing, it really felt like an expanded version of a PS1 JRPG, with the variety and all. No cut corners anywhere, well, besides the whole cutting into 3 parts thing... but still, I remember a lot of people thinking they were gonna cut/simplify certain things: they didn't. While I don't think it was a good idea to filter every open world activity through Chadley, the side quests, especially by JRPG standards were really good, as well as the protorelic questline was surprisingly enjoyable too.

The game having the confidence to have stretches where combat takes a backseat is nice to see as well. Wish FF16 had some of this energy. The ending was a little too busy, but I'm kinda liking the direction they're going. That being said, both this and Remake continue to excel when they're recreating the original moments with additions - the extra character interactions, chemistry, mini arcs are all amazing.

Easily one of the most soulful and purely entertaining games I've played in years.
Who said they were cutting things? They made a 30-50 hour game 3 games bro.

Go_Ly_Dow

Chapter 12 knock at the door question:

I got Red and wanted one of the gals and I have now basically done all the available sidequests with them but I still keep getting Red dammit! Is it unlikely I'll be able to change who I go on the date with as my affinity with him is probably max or close to it? Any tips?

Thanks.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
After multiple tries I finally manage to beat Jules in the sit up minigame.

Whoever decided it was a good idea to invert the direction of the prompts randomly can kiss my ass.

Cat Working Out GIF

After multiple tries I finally manage to beat Jules in the sit up minigame.

Whoever decided it was a good idea to invert the direction of the prompts randomly can kiss my ass.

Cat Working Out GIF
Yeah that was rough. The changes were so annoying. That was before I knew you could change game settings to easy to effect minigames though, I wonder if it's not so bad that way.

Just got to chapter 4 on hard mode. Game is going great. Even the regular chapter bosses need you to learn to play to beat them on hard. I really enjoy the character interactions at this time in the game too. Like every one in the party telling each other every favour they want will cost 2 grand.

I know the Turks are in OG FFVII, but what about Elena? Is she a new character? No vanilla!

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Yeah that was rough. The changes were so annoying. That was before I knew you could change game settings to easy to effect minigames though, I wonder if it's not so bad that way.
Yeah, I was this close on deactivating the adaptive triggers, because sometimes it seemed like they were creating too much resistance when I was pressing the button, but I ended up clearing it with default settings.

Thaedolus

Just got to chapter 4 on hard mode. Game is going great. Even the regular chapter bosses need you to learn to play to beat them on hard. I really enjoy the character interactions at this time in the game too. Like every one in the party telling each other every favour they want will cost 2 grand.

I know the Turks are in OG FFVII, but what about Elena? Is she a new character? No vanilla!
Elena was in the original
46IX9eh.png

Tomeru

Finished it yesterday. Loved the story and characters. I played with jap dub (eng dub is downright wrong. Just wrong). I now love Aerisu, I think her character is amazing in the game (Tifa still numero uno). I also love Yuffie, which I thouht will never happen.

Didn't really like anything else. I gave up in cosmp canyon, lowered to easy and ran with the story. Didnt bother fighting anything I didnt need to, and didn't bother with any side content or side quests anymore. I just couldn't do it anymore.

I have no idea how 90% even look like when used, because I never felt I need to, when even on normal difficulty every fight was easy. Just build synegy, stagger and unleash abilities. Repeat when needed. Never had any reason to use anything but phys attacks and abilities. Just focused on stat boosting materia.

Also those stupid minigames - sometimes were too stupid to bear. Artificially extending play time.

Summons? Used phoenix a ciuple of time. Checked out shiva once. Also Alexander and Kujata (I think was its name). Only nice when it does its ult and it finishes the fight. Didnt bother with it almost never.

Gear? Bigger number > status effect protection.

So much bloat. I feel like all of that wouldve had more effect with turned based combat. Battles are too hectic to enjoy visual effects, or even the awesome soundtrack, and many of the iconic battles were diminshed for me because of it.

Anyway, amazing story and cast, ok gameplay, and many wasted hours on side content.

Not gonna bother with it ever again, and can only hope the last part is tighter and more meaningful with its content.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm not that far into the game, but I'm already wondering what everyone is using for their party members?

I mostly just stick with controlling Cloud and have Red + Aerith with me.

FUBARx89

I got Red and wanted one of the gals and I have now basically done all the available sidequests with them but I still keep getting Red dammit! Is it unlikely I'll be able to change who I go on the date with as my affinity with him is probably max or close to it? Any tips?

Thanks.

He's just the highest rated affinity, in chapter 8 I had Tifa knock. I was consistently abit of a dick to Red & Aerith but somehow ended up with Red in 12. I personally think he has most side quests in the game so could be that, you can't really do anything about it now til "NG+" if you've done all side stuff etc

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
And of course there’s a fucking mini game to pick mushrooms.

Yes. I know it’s optional however if your going for the platinum it isn’t.

Yeah, I was this close on deactivating the adaptive triggers, because sometimes it seemed like they were creating too much resistance when I was pressing the button, but I ended up clearing it with default settings.
I don't know if they fixed it with the latest patch but the minigame was impossible to complete with adaptive triggers off. I had them off for the majority of the game but had to turn it back on for that minigame, otherwise the R2 and L2 prompts would instantly fail.

If you're on normal make sure you're making use of item master, item economizer as well as liberal use of items, should get you through just about anything.

I wasn't I'm sure that would have helped. It's just crazy how hard some of the fights were. Especially when you compare this game to FF16. It's wild how different the games can be (in a good way).

I find this to be an issue with meat popular games in last few years. It’s all tuned to be souls streamer difficulty. People who play games constantly.

And it’s so tiresome. Ff16 had somewhat better difficulty curve on normal and was a game I didn’t feel the need to lower the difficulty. Hogwarts was also god this way. And both of these are criticised for being too easy which is mad since they were just right and actually playable without swearing like many new gestures are. It’s like good enjoyable design is thrown out of the window in order to appease difficulty masochists

I do see it being more and more of a things lately. FF16 was to easy to me but at the same time I still loved it. FF7 Remake I also thought was hard but I made it through the game. I like Souls games a lot and enjoy difficulty in games but there's a time and a place and I need to be ready for it. I wasn't ready for it this time and I didn't want to deal with hard in FF7 Rebirth.

Last edited:

Synless

Elena is an original cast member of the Turks.

Go_Ly_Dow

He's just the highest rated affinity, in chapter 8 I had Tifa knock. I was consistently abit of a dick to Red & Aerith but somehow ended up with Red in 12. I personally think he has most side quests in the game so could be that, you can't really do anything about it now til "NG+" if you've done all side stuff etc
I managed to complete one more sidequest with Tifa and got the magic knock. The following scenes were well worth it. (y)

omegasc

Just finished the game. What a ride. Loved most of the 108hs. Didn't care much for the robot mini game and that's it.
Still not sure what to think of the ending... Can't wait for Part 3!

Lokaum D+

Damn, 80 hours into this at Cosmo, JRPG has a serious problem with side quest in general, every single thing in this game is a fucking mini game, this game has the sames problem of 16, its full of shit content that dosent respect your time and its just ther to bloat the hours.

Imo the more "mature" tone of the OG FF7 is way better, good game for now, worst them OG and at the moment i think i prefer 16.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Damn, 80 hours into this at Cosmo, JRPG has a serious problem with side quest in general, every single thing in this game is a fucking mini game, this game has the sames problem of 16, its full of shit content that dosent respect your time and its just ther to bloat the hours.

Imo the more "mature" tone of the OG FF7 is way better, good game for now, worst them OG and at the moment i think i prefer 16.

It is entirely optional and you don't have to do it. If you find it is pointless content, good news. You don't need to do it. You don't need to grind to beat any of the remaining bosses or dungeons, so you can just follow the narrative with no real issues.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

I just finished the main story, took me about 30 hrs, mostly just focused on the story and did minimal side stuff. I'm looking forward to how they conclude the final chapter.
Excellent story and the music packs a massive punch with Nobuo at the helm.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm still playing the game over a month after release. Starting to get to that point I get to in every game at some point where I want to wrap it up. But I still have a bunch of side stuff to do. Hopefully I won't need to complete hard mode to be able to beat the toughest optional bosses. Not sure I want to go through a hard mode, I don't have the patience. Or at least most of them anyway.

Nitty_Grimes

It is entirely optional and you don't have to do it. If you find it is pointless content, good news. You don't need to do it. You don't need to grind to beat any of the remaining bosses or dungeons, so you can just follow the narrative with no real issues.
But if your going for the platinum then they are all mandatory?

I guess it's fine for those not chasing inanimate objects - but for those that do? Pretty fucked right?

Nitty_Grimes

There's some absolute piss poor ones out there. The mushroom one is a joke. So is leading chickens home with a fucking tin can.

Not mentioning the ones that do lock story progression.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
But if your going for the platinum then they are all mandatory?

I guess it's fine for those not chasing inanimate objects - but for those that do? Pretty fucked right?

If you are going for 100% in any game you would be forced to do content you may not enjoy. That is still an optional choice you make for yourself. If you aren’t enjoying it but do it anyway for chasing a digital icon, that is on you. Not the game.

FUBARx89

I managed to complete one more sidequest with Tifa and got the magic knock. The following scenes were well worth it. (y)

You can choose who to have your date with after completing game. I immediately went back and did Tifa. Much better scene than Red's.

Straight up grassing on Aerith to you and that.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

If you are going for 100% in any game you would be forced to do content you may not enjoy. That is still an optional choice you make for yourself. If you aren’t enjoying it but do it anyway for chasing a digital icon, that is on you. Not the game.
Yeah yeah, lets blame the playing consumer for shit content, some of you guys cant take companies dick out of your mouth.

FUBARx89

This. Remake was a tedious platinum aswell having to get all 3 dresses. Cyberpunk 2077 was awful having to find all the fast travel points and all the cars. Dark Souls 2 was awful farming a singular NPC that spawned when it wanted to for a spell or something cause the matchmaking system was crap.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Yeah yeah, lets blame the playing consumer for shit content, some of you guys cant take companies dick out of your mouth.

Some folks enjoy the content, others don’t. If you aren’t enjoying it then stop forcing yourself to play through all of it. There are too many games and things to do with your time.

It has nothing to do with “sucking company dick” and more to do with needing to learn to say “I am done” and move on. It’s about self control.

Last edited:

Are you mildly retarded or full on? The conversation is specifically about going for the platinum trophy, nobody is "blaming the consumer" for anything. As someone who has 100 plats - some of them incredibly difficult/rare - there are 3 main criteria I have for attempting a plat:

1. I have to absolutely love the game.

2. I don't find any of the trophies overly tedious.

3. I have to still be enjoying my experience and wanting more. This means I have some games where I needed just one more trophy for the plat but I felt like I had my fill and moved on.

Now, these are my personal criteria but I can't think of many things more mind-numbingly stupid than playing a game/going for the plat trophy if you aren't truly enjoying it. Time is the most precious resource we have and we're spoiled for choice when it comes to videogames, why waste that time trying to obtain what is essentially a meaningless, digital trinket if you're not genuinely loving the experience needed to get there?

That's what it really comes down too, criticisms of the game are valid, just try actually *reading* what is being discussed before tooting your horn.

I think people saying "just skip the open world stuff if you find it boring, it's all optional" are being a bit disingenuous.

Like yes, you can technically skip that stuff, but doing so will detract from the main gameplay significantly (that being the combat). Almost all of the interesting, unique, or powerful materia are obtained through Chadley's VR development, which you unlock by doing the open world combat challenges. Want to have cool and powerful summons? Scan all the summon crystals. Want to craft useful and interesting items and equipment? You'll need to find the hidden transmuter chips to keep up with the crafting EXP level up requirements. And to find all these events on the map you'll need to climb all the towers and scan all the life springs. So you're really looking at doing 70-80% of every open world region's activities if you want to truly keep up with the battle system and experience what it has to offer.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I think people saying "just skip the open world stuff if you find it boring, it's all optional" are being a bit disingenuous.

Like yes, you can technically skip that stuff, but doing so will detract from the main gameplay significantly (that being the combat). Almost all of the interesting, unique, or powerful materia are obtained through Chadley's VR development, which you unlock by doing the open world combat challenges. Want to have cool and powerful summons? Scan all the summon crystals. Want to craft useful and interesting items and equipment? You'll need to find the hidden transmuter chips to keep up with the crafting EXP level up requirements. And to find all these events on the map you'll need to climb all the towers and scan all the life springs. So you're really looking at doing 70-80% of every open world region's activities if you want to truly keep up with the battle system and experience what it has to offer.

You can ignore all of it and never feel too low leveled where you are unable to beat combat encounters. The only reason you would need to do all the side content is if you want to play Hard mode in Ng+. None of the normal mode story bosses require the usage of powerful materia or summons to succeed. The only time they felt useful in non-hard mode was doing the end game side content.

Last edited:

Neff

Thanks.

Exact same thing happened to me, I reloaded the only old save I had, losing some 20 hours of progress, no regrets. There was no way in hell I was missing out on my date with Aerith.

If you have any Synergy Abilities/Skills with the girls you haven't used or unlocked yet, you could try those, since they boost your affinity. Otherwise, you might be shit out of luck.

I also love Yuffie, which I thouht will never happen.

I know, right? I can't stand her in the original, but she's great in this.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Some folks enjoy the content, others don’t. If you aren’t enjoying it then stop forcing yourself to play through all of it. There are too many games and things to do with your time.

It has nothing to do with “sucking company dick” and more to do with needing to learn to say “I am done” and move on. It’s about self control.
I think I am genuinely getting to the ‘I am done’ stage and moving on.

Nitty_Grimes

Do it. There is no point in playing a game you aren’t enjoying. There are hundreds of games to choose from, no need to force yourself with this one.
I meant finishing the story and not trying to 100% each area. I wanted this game to be an experience of modern times due to my love of the OG.

Bojji

Completed it today, ~100h

I did all side quests and 99% of field stuff - side quests are usually good but that map stuff is just fucking waste of time.

Game has some brilliant moments and lot of love was put into making it, but of course if player chooses to do side stuff it starts to drag... and there are way too many mini games (card game is not bad I defeated everyone aside "last boss").

Overall it definitely isn't 9/10, more like 8/10.

I've replayed every FF since IV. Can't see myself ever replaying Remake, or this one. Really wish they would have taken the vast amount of side content and focused it into fewer, and better, optional experiences.

My favorite thing in all the FFs is always towards the end of the game when you go around the world and do all the secret/extra stuff, and this game has one of those, Gilgamesh.

Really hope they tighten things up for the last one. Hopefully the (seeming, haven't seen concrete numbers, could be wrong) lackluster sales for a FF title make SE really bring their best for the last game.

taizuke

Is there a benefit to playing the demo even if I have the game? I know some data carries over. Should I just play the game and forget the demo?

I got the game since it came out but haven't touched it due to being busy with other games.

Is there a benefit to playing the demo even if I have the game? I know some data carries over. Should I just play the game and forget the demo?

I got the game since it came out but haven't touched it due to being busy with other games.
Having a save file of the demo gives you a kupo charm and a few additional starter items to claim in the DLC menu. Pretty minor stuff.

Flabagast

Just go straight into the game

Five level 3 Limit Breaks in a row:

Kujata/Phoenix was the most difficult battle of the bunch, beat the rest on my first attempt including Gilgamesh, Normal difficulty, I don't do that easy shit lol.

Finished the game two nights ago, still gathering my thoughts for a longer post but I can now definitively say it's my GOTY 👌

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Currently in Chapter 10. The side content does start to feel long in the tooth. I wouldn’t have minded some areas not having the same number of things to do as others. Still though, having a blast!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm one of the unfortunate souls who has experienced the side quest glitch in chapter 12 and can't complete it until a patch is released. This blows.

Finally got to Cosmo Canyon.

I'm loving the game, GOTY even, but why the fuck did they overcorrect from Remake and add so many fucking minigames? Should just keep Queen's Blood and the Gold Saucer ones and axe the rest. But no, gotta ace them all for shit for Johnny's Inn, which is a trophy required for the platinum.

(And I can't not go for it, since I've platinumed OG FFVII, Remake, Intergrade/Intermission (though Intergrade was from my imported PS4 save) and Crisis Core Reunion)

Top Bottom