• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well...

Just a tad hyperbolic, no?

I believe earlier you said they "spit in your face" by making the game the way they did?

That is kind of crazy

These are what we call opinions, and people can have different ones. That is not 'obvious' in the least, as those are two parts of the game that are mostly very well liked. Especially the gameplay.
Whatever... I find it hard to defend repeating the same open world activities 50 times but maybe I am not a fan of open world games

Edit. I was banned from this thread. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! My opinions are not even that outlandish. What a circlejerk. I am not even criticizing it that hard... There are whole vids criticizing the same things.
Critique is what makes games better...
cMelNYu.png

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Whatever... I find it hard to defend repeating the same open world activities 50 times but maybe I am not a fan of open world games

Edit. I was banned from this thread. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! My opinions are not even that outlandish. What a circlejerk. I am not even criticizing it that hard... There are whole vids criticizing the same things.
Critique is what makes games better...
cMelNYu.png

Youre "not a fan of open world games" yet you drool all over forspoken and have it as your avatar 😆 You are one big walking contradiction

N30RYU

Another one with the G-bike bug in the "Can't Stop Won't Stop" quest with the digital game... so I have to wait for a patch
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Lambogenie

The game keeps going. Same shit, different region. But I like the character moments, so ugghhh, fine.

But given how much Chadley talks, I would not at all be surprised if the story has some BS about Chadley observing shit through VR and Cloud is his lab rat or some random. Chadley has way too much dialogue to just be a side quest machine. Chadley is new Master of Masters.

Well I beat the game. Without getting into spoilers, luckily I wasn't expecting square to really bring the narrative home strong at the end or anything like that. Pumped for more. If they do a Vincent solo dlc or something like they did for Yuffie with Remake, I'll be all over it.

Somebody earlier in the thread said that the game is kinda like a an FFVII theme park instead of the actual FFVII story, and I think that's true. But it's to the game's benefit, given modern Square Enix's story telling methods are so meta and pretentious. I was having a blast when the characters were on a rollercoaster ride of boss battles and silly fun stuff.

The fact im being forced to play this fucking card game to advance the story is lame as hell

This might sound weird but I actually think that card game is awesome and story (at least the serious, dramatic parts) is lame as hell

Last edited:
Why are you all acting like I am crazy here?
The game obviously has poor open world gameplay
And the game obviously has unpopular direction of the story. Square betrayed everyone and it's not for a good surprise
The open world stuff I think is fine and interesting. Just don't do it if you don't like it - I put way more hours into the game than I thought I would and I am definitely an outspoken critic of what they "did" with Remake, so I completely agree that Square "betrayed" everyone. Facts. What's worse is it seems like they think they are doing something "interesting" and "subversive". The only thing they are doing, IMO, is subverting the value of what FF VII is, but that's not new. They've been whoring out VII since all the compilation garbage began. I hate all expanded universe FF VII stuff. It's one of those things that sounds so awesome but then you play it and see what they have in mind and it's tragic. Final Fantasy prided itself on being one and done and moving on - I think the spawn of sequels and spinoffs of mainline games is a plague on the franchise.

That said, like Remake, I still like the core game and that's what's do frustrating about these two games for me. I love the gameplay, presentation, combat, etc.. but hate the liberties they have taken. So much.

So it's like this massive bitter pill. Game is still great overall though, I just have to consciously ignore the dumbass shit they keep shoehorning into these.

Another one with the G-bike bug in the "Can't Stop Won't Stop" quest with the digital game... so I have to wait for a patch
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN
I did find a solution but you will need to have the physical copy

Hey guys I ran into a quest breaking glitch for the "ultimate party animal" quest.

It was fixable after some research but unpleasant to do so. It's possible to get stuck in the VR bike challenge part of the quest with the current patch. Maybe make a few different saves if you are near that part of the game. The issue is the quest will not update when you beat your opponent's score and the solution is to uninstall the game, disconnect from the internet, reinstall the game (takes forever) and then the quest will work properly and update. Then you can get the latest patch again.

Finally made contact with my boy VV, by far my favourite character from OG FF VII, they absolutely nailed the design, love it. Now I'm just waiting for him to join the gang after which I'm sure he'll become a permanent member of my battle party, been using Cloud, Tifa, Yufi 80% of the time, sometimes sub Barrett in for one of the girls.

One thing I will say 80 hours in is Chadley has started to grate on me lol. I liked him in Remake and the first dozen or so hours of Rebirth but I've long reached the tipping point, he needs to shut his android ass up. One of the few blemishes on what is otherwise an absolutely spectacular modernization of one of my favourite games of all-time, the scope, scale and production values are mighty impressive indeed.

Last edited:
Finally made contact with my boy VV, by far my favourite character from OG FF VII, they absolutely nailed the design, love it. Now I'm just waiting for him to join the gang after which I'm sure he'll become a permanent member of my battle party, been using Cloud, Tifa, Yufi 80% of the time, sometimes sub Barrett in for one of the girls.

One thing I will say 80 hours in is Chadley has started to grate on me lol. I liked him in Remake amd the first dozen or so hours of Rebirth but I've long reached the tipping point, he needs to shut his android ass up. One of the few blemishes on what is otherwise an absolutely spectacular modernization of one of my favourite games of all-time, the scope, scale and production values are mighty impressive indeed.
Yeah I think they could make a cool Vincent DLC like the Yuffie DLC to work out how his combat works and give us something while we wait for Final Fantasy VII Requiem.

You held out well with the gigachadley, I hated him from the first conversation in remake

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Fort Kondor manages to be such a cool surprise and at the same time a very infuriating one.
Did alright with fort condor. Are you referring to the protorelic missions?

The last mission I just swamped the right hand side then had Cloud and Tifa engage at pretty much the same time. Managed it with about 40 seconds left.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
The fact im being forced to play this fucking card game to advance the story is lame as hell
As has been said you can forfeit it however I felt dirty doing that. Took loads of attempts to get the last player down. Go across the middle was the advice I was given - maybe back a couple of pages in this thread.

Psychostar

To be fair that happened to a lot of people including myself. I love Rebirth but the options for the Continue screen are badly designed.
I managed to make this mistake one time too admittedly lol. Realized I needed to swap my materia out to get an edge in a section and did not notice I was able to hold a button prompt during the cutscene to visit the menu before the fight :)

Psychostar

The direction square took this whole project in is criminal. And I wouldn't mind changes since I don't have nostalgia for original.. but You see what they are doing and it's destroying any emotional impact where it should've been.
Have to disagree with you here.

If you had experience with FF7 you wouldn't buy into the negative hype train " Oh this is just another multiverse bla bla bla"

Watch Advent Children and pay attention to the lifestream/aerith related moments then rethink about the ending you saw in part 2 and tell me that it doesn't fit in.

They are not straying from the source material. The lifestream has always worked this way, it's just been expanded upon.

I think that for people who are going in blind, yes it can feel like a cop out is ensuing since you don't have the full story to play through yet. I have a strong feeling that part 3 will rectify that.

For people like me that have dipped into the expanded universe, we are more accepting of what could be happening and happily theorizing.

It's entirely possible that we are being given something closer to the original but being shot from a different angle and we don't even know it. Cloud could be losing his mind as he did in OG with all the manipulation from Sephiroth/Jenova.

It's also entirely possible that the lifestream is giving us another chance at redemption. Sephiroth may not have liked how the previous events transpired and since he is tied to the Lifestream and able to influence it like Aerith, he is probably the reason behind why we are seeing alternate splits. The lifestream /planet is trying to protect itself.

They already did a great job at explaining the Gi and how they cannot be accepted into the world/lifestream as they are essentially considered a virus and not from it. Sephiroth transends this as he is a half-blood (one winged angel. Not entirely from the heavens) Cloud is of the earth but infected with cells that Sephiroth/Jenova can manipulate due to the gene therapy Hojo performed on him in Crisis Core.

Last edited:

Psychostar

Have to disagree with you here.

If you had experience with FF7 you wouldn't buy into the negative hype train " Oh this is just another multiverse bla bla bla"

Watch Advent Children and pay attention to the lifestream/aerith related moments then rethink about the ending you saw in part 2 and tell me that it doesn't fit in.

They are not straying from the source material. The lifestream has always worked this way, it's just been expanded upon.

I think that for people who are going in blind, yes it can feel like a cop out is ensuing since you don't have the full story to play through yet. I have a strong feeling that part 3 will rectify that.

For people like me that have dipped into the expanded universe, we are more accepting of what could be happening and happily theorizing.

It's entirely possible that we are being given something closer to the original but being shot from a different angle and we don't even know it. Cloud could be losing his mind as he did in OG with all the manipulation from Sephiroth/Jenova.

It's also entirely possible that the lifestream is giving us another chance at redemption. Sephiroth may not have liked how the previous events transpired and since he is tied to the Lifestream and able to influence it like Aerith, he is probably the reason behind why we are seeing alternate splits. The lifestream /planet is trying to protect itself.

They already did a great job at explaining the Gi and how they cannot be accepted into the world/lifestream as they are essentially considered a virus and not from it. Sephiroth transends this as he is a half-blood (one winged angel. Not entirely from the heavens) Cloud is of the earth but infected with cells that Sephiroth/Jenova can manipulate due to the gene therapy Hojo performed on him in Crisis Core.
To add to the above, At the end of Remake and in Rebirth, Sephiroth mentions the planet has 7 seconds left. Enough time for Cloud perhaps. Final Fantasy 7 had inspiration from DragonBall and I connect lifestream moments very similarly to when Goku uses the planet's collective will ( A spirit bomb) to save it. This has happened at the end of OG FF7 in it's own way. It has happened in Advent Children too and it is happening in these games too..

Cloud has a fractured mind/ PTSD and a copied persona from Zack. Rebirth has hinted heavily toward this but in the OG game, you don't properly cover this ground until what would be considered part 3, and they have followed the OG game's pathing quite heavily so I am sure part 3 will resolve a lot of your confusion just as it did for us in 97.

Many others have their own opinions but if you take the anime narrative and break it down, Aerith is guiding Cloud through the lifestream towards achieving the planet's protection (It was explained that the Cetra interact differently with the lifeastream compared to the rest of the human race. Think of them as Night Elves?). That's all there is to this. Sephiroth is trying to manipulate Cloud just as he always did as he is his puppet. Sephiroth is a spiritual virus as he cannot be ingested fully by the planet, making him the counter to what the Cetra would be considered.

Last edited:
I haven't done any research but from the sound of it I shouldn't go for Gotterdamerung first to try and make hard mode easy, I should level up in hard mode before I take on the VR challenges?

Did you fight Weiss in remake? How does he compare you think?
I don't remember Weiss being in Remake, was that in DLC? I platinumed Remake so whatever was required for that but its been years but it was IMO easier to do than Rebirth, but it's based on memory. They are just long bouts, up to 10 rounds with no save but a lot of times it's just one or two rounds in the 10 that are actually hard and the others are just time sinks.

I'd say do whatever order you want or feel like. I did some VR challenges until I hit a wall then did some hard mode, then back to VR then back to finish hard. I ended up finishing hard with two VR challenges remaining and those were the last two things I did.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Combat is great. Story, not so much. Which is weird, since they can lean on the original, but don’t and every change/addition seems to be for the worse.

RedXIII is used in a much better way in Rebirth though, but I think it’s because he’s being used as a narrator/encyclopedia for the stupid changes in story. Like his vast knowledge in everything, including Weapons. As good as his voice acting is, having a human doing the animal noises he makes is fucking retarded. Hearing a man go “Grrr” sends cringe shivers down my spine.

I don't remember Weiss being in Remake, was that in DLC? I platinumed Remake so whatever was required for that but its been years but it was IMO easier to do than Rebirth, but it's based on memory. They are just long bouts, up to 10 rounds with no save but a lot of times it's just one or two rounds in the 10 that are actually hard and the others are just time sinks.

I'd say do whatever order you want or feel like. I did some VR challenges until I hit a wall then did some hard mode, then back to VR then back to finish hard. I ended up finishing hard with two VR challenges remaining and those were the last two things I did.
yeah he was big vr boss. Must have been dlc.

10 rounds sounds a bit rough lol

just cleaning up Johnny's treasures a bit for now

Combat is great. Story, not so much. Which is weird, since they can lean on the original, but don’t and every change/addition seems to be for the worse.

RedXIII is used in a much better way in Rebirth though, but I think it’s because he’s being used as a narrator/encyclopedia for the stupid changes in story. Like his vast knowledge in everything, including Weapons. As good as his voice acting is, having a human doing the animal noises he makes is fucking retarded. Hearing a man go “Grrr” sends cringe shivers down my spine.
remember what u said about changes regarding red and lower expectations

Psychostar

For anyone affected by the UPA sidequest G-bike bug, if you have a physical copy of the game , just turn off your Playstation's internet connection and re-install the game to play the version before the patch that breaks this sidequest. Currently on this new patch version it is no longer possible to complete this task when beating his high-score in G-bike without doing the above ^. I was scooping up the last bits and pieces for Johnny and found this workaround.

Does anyone else wish we could get the kickass costumes from the Gold Saucer special? :p I was so annoyed to find that they made Cait Sith and Red's versions available post game but not the rest lol. Would love to replay hard mode with them!
Yeah, I don't know why they aren't available being that they already exist!

N30RYU

For anyone affected by the UPA sidequest G-bike bug, if you have a physical copy of the game , just turn off your Playstation's internet connection and re-install the game to play the version before the patch that breaks this sidequest. Currently on this new patch version it is no longer possible to complete this task when beating his high-score in G-bike without doing the above ^. I was scooping up the last bits and pieces for Johnny and found this workaround.
Sony should let you not to download the latest patch on digital games... at least on non serices or mmo games

I have the digital game and the no disc PS5... so I have to wait

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

That’s… quite a take sir.
Happy to hear counterpoints. Everything I've said is pretty much self-evident. I've given plenty of examples in this thread.

Some people might be happy to overlook that, or even enjoy that kind of that design. Me, I find it tedious, and it's not because of short attention span or a lack of patience, it's because it's mind-numbing.

One thing I will say 80 hours in is Chadley has started to grate on me lol. I liked him in Remake and the first dozen or so hours of Rebirth but I've long reached the tipping point, he needs to shut his android ass up. One of the few blemishes on what is otherwise an absolutely spectacular modernization of one of my favourite games of all-time, the scope, scale and production values are mighty impressive indeed.

How does Chadley even get to places? I can accept for the first half of the game he's more or less following the party around I guess, but how did he get to Cosmo Canyon and Nibel? He didn't fly on the Bronco with the party and it's like a whole continent flight away. I know, I know, video games, it's just funny it's never thought about or explained, lol.

Goliath77

This is absolutely correct… and up until 40 hours it wasn’t as bad. Once you get to Corel it’s disaster city when it comes to bloat and bad pacing.
And all the mini games and bloat aside..: the worst part of the game is story. It’s nonsense. They butchered the original story ridding it of all the beautiful simplicity and subtlety. All emotional impact is gone and replaced with multiverse nonsense and noise.

The feeling of “yeah remake was good aside from that weird ending” carries over to the whole story here.
I still think this should’ve never been a new game but a normal remake. Nobody wanted new ff7. And very one wanted remade ff7. The same game.
In 2015 everyone was happy not because new ff7 was announced but because it was a remake of their fav game.

This could’ve been called ff7 versus or any other thing. It has nothing to do with being a remake. In fact it’s a spit in the face not only to those who wanted real ff7 remake but also to me. A newcomer.
Playing this as a newcomer all I feel is “wow this must’ve been impactful in 1997 in original story” while some bs emotionless multiverse moment is happening.
It’s a tragedy…. And a game itself is bloated open world.

Shame because I love some characters, graphics, music and overall game but once you question any of it, the whole thing falls apart.
I am enjoying Rebirth but I do wish we had a complete remake in the style of Octopath Traveller or Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes. For me that would have been so much more satisfying.

I have to say though, the music has been fantastic. I have really enjoyed the new take on the soundtrack, thinking of booking tickets to see the orchestra.

Edit. Reading through some comments here. I have really enjoyed up to Corel but I have 100% everything up to this point, including top scores on all mini games possible plus towers, fights etc. I think im feeling a bit of the open world fatigue so going to focus on main objectives and leave some of the side content for a while. I do feel this is a massive improvement over part 1 though.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I haven't played OG FFVII in a long time, so maybe I'm just not remembering correctly, but I could have sworn in the OG FFVII, the game they pushed Aerith as the top interest of Cloud where in Rebirth it seems they try to push Tifa a little more than Aerith as Cloud's interest.

But maybe I'm not remembering the original well enough. I'm on chapter 11 so I've only seen up to this point.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I haven't played OG FFVII in a long time, so maybe I'm just not remembering correctly, but I could have sworn in the OG FFVII, the game they pushed Aerith as the top interest of Cloud where in Rebirth it seems they try to push Tifa a little more than Aerith as Cloud's interest.

But maybe I'm not remembering the original well enough. I'm on chapter 11 so I've only seen up to this point.

It depends on your choices because there was an affinity system in the game.

The reason they push Tifa more in the remake, is because she is ultimately the one Cloud ends up with, so I think they’re just acknowledging that. I think the reason Cloud crushes hard on Aerith is because mentally he’s still 16 years old, and Aerith comes on very strong towards him with the flirting. And looking the way she does, any dude his age would be wrapped around her finger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom