• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

data

Question about Fata Morgana, I thought the game was a kinetic novel but apparently it's not. Will I know when to save so I can get all the endings?

Tonton

Question about Fata Morgana, I thought the game was a kinetic novel but apparently it's not. Will I know when to save so I can get all the endings?

The game auto saves on any important choice

It gives enough save slots to just save on every choice too if you want too (there aren't that many either)

LayLa

my Steam Sale VN haul:

House in Fata Morgana
Harmonia
Flowers
Sweetest Monster

mix of long and short, old and new. these and some of the Humble Bundle games should keep me going for a while.

my Steam Sale VN haul:

House in Fata Morgana
Harmonia
Flowers
Sweetest Monster

mix of long and short, old and new. these and some of the Humble Bundle games should keep me going for a while.

Flowers deserves more love.

Also, having just finished it, Utawarerumono is the best game of the year and you all really shouldn't miss out.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Also, having just finished it, Utawarerumono is the best game of the year and you all really shouldn't miss out.

I'm currently playing it. The anime started good, and then just felt disconnected in the plot flow :/ Like it had to rush to the ending and didn't know how to lead into the third act properly. Already a few hours into the game, and it's already soooooo much better!

Speaking of Steam sales, how is Harmonia? Looks like another Planetarian type? Not sure if it's even kinect or not, or what the length is.

I'm just finishing Utawarerumono, but I've been repeating to a few friends that it's my GOTY 2017 so far.

The user comments on this seem really good thus far :D. Does it follow the story -> battle -> interlude format that they used in Tears to Tiara II? And also does it allow saving during the story portions or is it only at predetermined points?

The user comments on this seem really good thus far :D. Does it follow the story -> battle -> interlude format that they used in Tears to Tiara II? And also does it allow saving during the story portions or is it only at predetermined points?
Yes it follows that format, just lots and lots of story. You can save pretty much anywhere. It's a VN. :p

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it follows that format, just lots and lots of story. You can save pretty much anywhere. It's a VN. :p

I prefer playing VNs when I have a good chunk of time to get through it, but it's great having the "save anywhere" feature, to add a bookmark if something comes up.

My play time on them are never accurate either. It's like reading a book, it's relaxing, so sometimes makes me sleepy if I play them in the afternoon.

It's not really structured like Tears to Tiara II because it has significantly less combat than that game. TtT2 had like 50 story missions and a ton of post game content, Utawarerumono is not nearly as meaty. But you can save anytime.

It's not really structured like Tears to Tiara II because it has significantly less combat than that game. TtT2 had like 50 story missions and a ton of post game content, Utawarerumono is not nearly as meaty. But you can save anytime.

Thank you both - much appreciated :D. Being able to save anywhere is handy. I like the combat in TtT2, but am glad that the "no saving" isn't a common thing for Aquaplus' VNs. That's my biggest gripe with it. Definitely want to try Utawaruremono once I can.

Is there a reasonable chance for Clannad/Grisaia/Muv-Luv releasing in Vita in 2017/2018?

I haven't been following VN updates for a while, with Summer Sale underway I'm thinking of getting the House of Fata Morgana and maybe one or two of titles above. But I'll gladly wait (and pay more) if they plan to release any of them in Vita this year :/

fertygo

looking to steam summer sale

wtf happened to muv luv alternative localization?

why its not there after a year, do I miss some drama?

Buzzi

looking to steam summer sale

wtf happened to muv luv alternative localization?

why its not there after a year, do I miss some drama?

Not drama but delays since Extra, which was supposed to release by March 2016 and instead arrived on July and without the 18+ patch.
MLA is definitely missing summer, probably releasing in fall, 2018 would be incredibly disappointing for such an easy to predict amount of work with a budget way higher than needed.

jonjonaug

bought all the currently released higurashi chapters

what sort of combined length am I looking at for the 5 of them?

1/2/3 are all around the same length and can be cleared in probably around 10 hours each. 4 is somewhat shorter than those, 5 and 6 are somewhat longer. 7 and 8 are the really long ones but those aren't out yet.

Lain

Looks like Chuusotsu - 1st Graduation: Time After Time passed 26k in total funding (26.387) through backerkit upgrades and add-on purchases, so the side story Chuusotsu - 1.5th Graduation: The Moving Castle is getting made.
I wonder if they'll manage to reach the 27.500 to get the new opening done.

Thanks to the surge of upgrades and add-on purchases on BackerKit, we've now passed $26.000 total funding, meaning... the side story, Chuusotsu - 1.5th Graduation: The Moving Castle will be produced by Studio Beast! We're super excited to have a chance make the creation of all-new content possible.

The side story is expected to be 1-2h in length will introduce a new character to the game. We'll give you more details when those are confirmed (including estimated release date). It will be added for free to all backers whose tier includes the game.

This isn't the end of the stretch goals, either! We currently have a total of $26.387 raised, and at $27.500 Studio Beast will create a new opening video for the game!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception. It's far, far ahead of everything else I played this year as my GOTY for now.

I really can't wait to get to the second (well, third) one. The pacing is great already in the game compared to the anime, and you really get to know the characters a lot better. I have sooo many questions from the anime, and I doubt this game will answer any, until the next game comes out in a few months. It's also kind of neat to go into the game with the knowledge that
Oshtor = Ukon

I really can't wait to get to the second (well, third) one. The pacing is great already in the game compared to the anime, and you really get to know the characters a lot better. I have sooo many questions from the anime, and I doubt this game will answer any, until the next game comes out in a few months. It's also kind of neat to go into the game with the knowledge that
Oshtor = Ukon

September has felt insanely far away since I finished the game.

Thinking of picking up Clannad at last in the Steam sale - I presume most would concur that that's a decent decision?

rickyson1

so after playing probably a dozen or so visual novels over the past half decade now i've come to realize that horror ones tend to be my favorites(Saya no Uta,The House in Fata Morgana,Higurashi looks like it will likely end up joining that group although it's still too early to say for sure)

from what I understand there aren't really all that many great ones but are there any others I might not be aware of?

Shoyz

so after playing probably a dozen or so visual novels over the past half decade now i've come to realize that horror ones tend to be my favorites(Saya no Uta,The House in Fata Morgana,Higurashi looks like it will likely end up joining that group although it's still too early to say for sure)

from what I understand there aren't really all that many great ones but are there any others I might not be aware of?

My personal favorite is Chaos;Head, shame there's no official release coming it looks like.
And Phenomeno, a free short VN which is an adaptation (maybe pseudo advertisement) of the first part of the first book of the same name.

Maybe it's due to so few offerings available but I did also enjoy the very indie-feeling title 'The Noose'. There's also Banshee's Last Cry which is only available on iOS, but it's more of a murder mystery than horror really. And everyone knows 999. Wish there was more Horror VNs because it's my favorite genre too.

aravuus

Just finished Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception. It's far, far ahead of everything else I played this year as my GOTY for now.

I've seen multiple people say this, which is honestly kind of surprising. Didn't expect it to be that good.

How much slice of life stuff is in it, though? Cause I've got the feeling it's got a lot, and I rarely really care for that sort of stuff. Otherwise I'd just take the leap and see for myself, but the PS4 version is 50 euros, which is a bit much for what's essentially a VN imo.

I've seen multiple people say this, which is honestly kind of surprising. Didn't expect it to be that good.

How much slice of life stuff is in it, though? Cause I've got the feeling it's got a lot, and I rarely really care for that sort of stuff. Otherwise I'd just take the leap and see for myself, but the PS4 version is 50 euros, which is a bit much for what's essentially a VN imo.

A lot.
There is a lot of events made for knowing the characters , their like and dislikes and place them in the world
If i have to say , it's 30% srpg , 40% slice of life, 30% serious stuff

It's a VN with good srpgs elements , so the pricing matches, it's up to you not liking the slice of life elements to make your decision , but to be fair , this is good SOL , it's not that much fanservicy ( a couple of events max ) and it's more world building that anything else.

I'll echo the above, in that the slice of life is necessary to building up characterisation so that when it ramps up in its final act, the narrative beats impact hard.

Probably one of the most immaculately structured VNs I've ever read.

A lot.
There is a lot of events made for knowing the characters , their like and dislikes and place them in the world
If i have to say , it's 30% srpg , 40% slice of life, 30% serious stuff

It's a VN with good srpgs elements , so the pricing matches, it's up to you not liking the slice of life elements to make your decision , but to be fair , this is good SOL , it's not fanservicy of any kind and it's more world building that anything else.

To be fair, it does have like 1-2% fanservice, saying there's none of any kind just isn't correct, haha. Agreed it's good slice of life though (and the occasional fanservice can be kind of hilarious tbh)

aravuus

I see, thanks. It's a tiny bit disappointing, but it's not like SOL stuff is bad by default, so I think I'll check the game out after all when it's on sale or something.

jonjonaug

Usually I check out if there's too much SOL in a visual novel that tries to balance it with more serious aspects, but the SOL scenes in Utawarerumono 2 are mostly all really great so it never bothered me. There is a ton of world building and character building in them too and there are very few scenes that ever feel like they were "wasted" and didn't serve either of those purposes.

It's a VN with good srpgs elements , so the pricing matches, it's up to you not liking the slice of life elements to make your decision , but to be fair , this is good SOL , it's not fanservicy of any kind and it's more world building that anything else.

This is a big lie though, there is plenty of fanservice and such.

To be fair, it does have like 1-2% fanservice, saying there's none of any kind just isn't correct, haha. Agreed it's good slice of life though (and the occasional fanservice can be kind of hilarious tbh)

This is a big lie though, there is plenty of fanservice and such.

Well i've just checked the gallery and the only thing "fanservice" are the bath scenes ( kuon and nosuri ) 3 events then in a 30 hour game.

i stand corrected.
They are so much Not the focus that i've forgot them

Well i've just checked the gallery and the only thing "fanservice" are the bath scenes ( kuon and nosuri ) 3 events then in a 30 hour game.

i stand corrected.
They are so much Not the focus that i've forgot them

Uruuru and Saraana
would be argued as some as fanservice-excuse characters.

I'd disagree though - they have some of the funniest lines in the thing outside of everything that comes out of Atuy.

Yep , that ending ..was ... something else.( FEELS X1000 )
Man do i was angry when i realised the truth

Yeah I was surprised:

They showed Sol & Mil through out the credits and Mil dying two years later, I was like shit....I know it's cheap to have a person be sick and give them 'x' amount of time to live to bring feels but damn

A bit disappointing we are getting a prequel so we won't find out what's happening with Ritonia anytime soon.

Arthea

I seriously think that as far as love stories go Cupid, which is a free VN is better than Fata Morgana, I can't be only one seeing it this way, can I?

Knurek

God damn it, Dies Irae is just like Fate/Stay Night having a baby with Friedrich Nietzsche.
Not something you ought to read while being even a bit tired.
I kinda wish there was a bit more punching each others in the faces instead of both sides discussing the merits of their worldview about punching the other side in the face

I seriously think that as far as love stories go Cupid, which is a free VN is better than Fata Morgana, I can't be only one seeing it this way, can I?

Sadly, most people haven't read Cupid.

Arthea

I can't quote your post Knurek, cuz of a spoiler, but tell me you are overselling it, because that sounds too good to be true

jonjonaug

I can't quote your post Knurek, cuz of a spoiler, but tell me you are overselling it, because that sounds too good to be true

No that's pretty much literally what it is. The main character's nickname is Zarathustra and eternal recurrence is a huge part of the plot.

Top Bottom