• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30th Anniversary Mario Encyclopedia coming to Europe

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Still holding out for an announcement for the US, especially since it seems that Dark Horse is the one publishing it, & they've done other Nintendo books like the Zelda ones. I'd rather not have to deal with importing it.

Still holding out for an announcement for the US, especially since it seems that Dark Horse is the one publishing it, & they've done other Nintendo books like the Zelda ones. I'd rather not have to deal with importing it.

It's Dark Horse. They either cancelled, delayed or underproduced massively.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I don't know why, but I feel in the last few years Mario's image has went from sweet/loveable to... creepy. I dont know if there was some subtle design change for him that's doing it, but his face and the way they use him now just always comes off as super weird. I noticed it in the Switch video, and its especially present in the box art above. Like maybe his eyes have changed a bit or something.

Like this mario looks so much more likable and nice:

img_18376fpem.jpg

Looks fine to me.

real_mario.jpg

Raitaro

Yep, just had my Amazon UK order cancelled :(

Mine too. WTF!?

Of all the art books over the years, this was the one I was personally looking forward to the most and as such I was over the moon when I saw it show up on Amazon.uk and not just in German on Amazon.de. Heck, I must have been one of the first people to pre-order it there.

So why oh why is this now happening? I noticed a few weeks ago that the item was showing "currently unavailable", which struck me as a bit weird considering it's a pre-order, but I never would have imagined they'd outright cancel it completely!

Could this mean that another publisher has stepped in or something? Or could it really be an extremely limited quantity of books that have sold out NES Classic style? If anyone has more info on this, please let us know. I need this book in English!

Edit: also weird that the German version is still up on Amazon.de while both have Nintendo as their author / publisher.

Mine too. WTF!?

Of all the art books over the years, this was the one I was personally looking forward to the most and as such I was over the moon when I saw it show up on Amazon.uk and not just in German on Amazon.de. Heck, I must have been one of the first people to pre-order it there.

So why oh why is this now happening? I noticed a few weeks ago that the item was showing "currently unavailable", which struck me as a bit weird considering it's pre-order, but I never would have imagined they'd outright cancel it completely!

Could this mean that another publisher has stepped in or something? Or could it really be an extremely limited quantity of books that have sold out NES Classic style? If anyone has more info on this, please let us know. I need this book in English!

Edit: also weird that the German version is still up on Amazon.de while both have Nintendo as thheir author / publisher.

just pre-order it on the german or french amazon then, it's still available and they didn't cancel anything yet

Raitaro

just pre-order it on the german or french amazon then, it's still available and they didn't cancel anything yet

But they won't be in English, surely?

Edit: ah I see, they have both the English and German version for sale. Sure, I'll pre-order it there then, though I strongly suspect that it might get cancelled there as well.

In any case, here's the link to the English one on Amazon.de for those that want to try ordering there. Fingers crossed we'll actually get it.

Credo

I'm very close to ordering it from Amazon Canada, but part of me wants to hold out for a US release. Is there even any point in that? If I order the one from Canada, I'd think the only difference between it and a US release would be the few words that are spelled with -ou instead of -o, wouldn't it?

Raitaro

Ok, this is getting even weirder. Unless I'm missing something, Amazon.uk has the book up for pre-order once again despite their earlier cancellation of pre-orders. What is going on over there and why didn't they send emails to the people who had ordered one before to give them a heads-up?

Hmm...what to do now? I could cancel my Amazon.de order of the English version and go for the cheaper Amazon.uk option (36 euros vs 25 or so) but (A) cancelling pre-orders is always kind of a hassle (because I think you need to email them) and (B) how sure can I be that Amazon.uk will come through this time? Maybe I should just leave it for now.

Vespa

Ok, this is getting even weirder. Unless I'm missing something, Amazon.uk has the book up for pre-order once again despite their earlier cancellation of pre-orders. What is going on over there and why didn't they send emails to the people who had ordered one before to give them a heads-up?

Hmm...what to do now? I could cancel my Amazon.de order of the English version and go for the cheaper Amazon.uk option (36 euros vs 25 or so) but (A) cancelling pre-orders is always kind of a hassle (because I think you need to email them) and (B) how sure can I be that Amazon.uk will come through this time? Maybe I should just leave it for now.

Thanks for the heads up! They're usually good with books on pre-order, canceling it first time was weird, might have been waiting on the publisher to confirm something?

With shipping Amz UK costs me 35 euro to the Netherlands. Amz DE is 37 for my preorder. I'm staying with the Germans.

Also, cancelation is done with just a click of a button? I have never emailed Amazon to cancel a preorder.

Raitaro

Aaaand it's back to being unavailable on Amazon.co.uk. Guess they went through the extra bit of stock they got after the cancellation round?

Amazon.de still has it though.

Just wanted to give a heads-up for those still on the fence.

Vespa

My amazon uk order was just cancelled :/

Reason: "Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available."

oti

Banned
My amazon uk order was just cancelled :/

Reason: "Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available."

My hope is they're cancelling this version to release a newer one including Odyssey art at a later point. No idea how realistic that is though.

But, my German version has not been cancelled (yet?).

Vespa

My hope is they're cancelling this version to release a newer one including Odyssey art at a later point. No idea how realistic that is though.

But, my German version has not been cancelled (yet?).

I would love that! the more art they can include the better, I wish it was a pure artbook but I'll take an encyclopedia with some art in it over nothing. I'm guessing it's amazon uk just canceling prematurely since it's delayed until September.

Kovacs

Same here - email at 15:30 saying they are having difficulty finding supply. 2nd email at 18:00 advising cancellation.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Not sure how long this has been there, but I just noticed the German version of this is coming through Tokyopop and not Dark Horse. And Tokyopop actually has a listing on their official site for this. With the new September date, so I guess there's a good chance that at least the German version is still coming.

Ertai

Just got an email from Amazon.de saying they can't say when the item will be delivered and that it might not be delivered at all.

Raitaro

Just got an email from Amazon.de saying they can't say when the item will be delivered and that it might not be delivered at all.

Sorry for bumping without positive news but I just checked my email (after only now remembering this book was supposed to have shipped in June - I had July in my head for some reason) and while I did not get the email Ertai mentions, my order page does say something similar. On the amazon.uk the book is also not available, still (after coming back briefly earlier, after the initial cancellations). For the German version, however, amazon.de now states September 14th as the date on which it will be available.

Such a weird release, this! I don't think I've ever experienced so many changes from available to unavailable and back to available before along with the release date disappearing and changing for each different language version.

I do truly hope we'll see this book's release at some point!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
woah woah woah

Tokyopop?

I thought they went bankrupt. They still exist in EU or something?

Meanwhile, still no news on this coming to the US??

oti

Banned
My book arrived. It is beautiful. And also hardcover. Just as big as Hyrule Historia but fewer pages.

cyba89

Got my book too. Really nice compedium of everything Mario up until 3D World. Great page design too with lots of screenshots and colorful artworks.

Makes me excited for the upcoming Zelda enzyklopedia.

The chronological overview of every game something Mario-related appeared in is interesting.

Vespa

Glad it got released somewhere!

I might get the German version, will see if it gets picked up by another publisher. Anybody wanting the German version can get it from the Amazon UK also.

Vespa

So far it seems that only a German translated version has been published. I noticed there's a Spanish language edition listed for October the 17th on Amazon France so if that actually comes out there's hope for more languages.

Top Bottom