• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Kurita

I'm fine with the Italian Dungeon Food, but looking at France and Spain, you guys got a clever name for it.

Heh, literal translation is also good.
I think the "problem" is that to market something overseas having a catchy name is more important than in Japan where it doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker when your title is simple.

cntr

Banned
I think the "problem" is that to market something overseas having a catchy name is more important than in Japan where it doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker when your title is simple.
From what I know, most manga titles do sound catchy or memorable in Japanese, but they don't when translated because...well, different languages.

I'm sure a lot of good English titles sound lame when translated to other languages too

Kurita

From what I know, most manga titles do sound catchy or memorable in Japanese, but they don't when translated because...well, different languages.

I'm sure a lot of good English titles sound lame when translated to other languages too

I guess you're right yeah

7 deadly sins 203-207

Had to catch back up on this now that weekly manga recap is adding it to the line up. I forgot this was a flash back initially and was very confused. Not sure where this is going.

Tripon

Torajiro probably never read the manga version.

If you watched Usagi Drop season 1 and never knew how the series really ended, you'd be for a second season as well.

Torajiro probably never read the manga version.

If you watched Usagi Drop season 1 and never knew how the series really ended, you'd be for a second season as well.

In theory a filler second season that just kept Rin a little girl would probably be very well received.

convo

I remember coming across "Love trouble" in my german manga store and thinking "so this was the pun all along for To Love-Ru!?"
You gotta love language.

upandaway

This is awesome.

Why is English so bad.

Why are English localizers so terrible and DUMB.
The pun works in English too though doesn't it? it sounds fine to me

I wish localizers changed titles more often, the authors' English titles are usually broken english like in this case

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gluttons & Dragons
Dungeons & Diners
Dungeon Meals
Dungeon Dinner

mdubs

Banned
Reminds me of how horrible it is that We Never Learn is being referred to as We Can't Study by people because literal translation. We Never Learn is a vastly superior title and is localization done right

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah Dungeon Meshi was fine. It didn't need localization at all because it's short and simple.

cntr

Banned
I should ask the Legends of Localization guy about the differences between manga and game translation

my general impression is that (recent) game translations tend to be a lot less literal and overall better made

Conan-san

Wow, U19 really scared everyone off for translating the Jump Starts.

I mean it should, it was a really atrocious comic that used the unholy soul of Jack Chick for a Menials vs People who actauly knew what a Thatcher actually was story with all the stubbly of a Let's Player playing Exiles of Conan so yeah.

Melancholia 3

J74ZwQB.png

2nd most cheerful thing I've read today. It's a TBC, so I guess the next chapter'll show Mr 86 honouring her request. Either that or we'll see how deep the Mario hole goes.

Natsunokumo Ch1-23: Just accidently stumbled across this little gem of a Sci-fi manga and what a little gem it is (In it's own weird little way). Only problem is I can't really begin to explain any of the plot related greatness as it all only makes sense by the end of the first arc.

The manga is set in a net-game VRMMO made up of many individual boards, what makes this interesting is the way certain communities are made up, with whole boards dedicated to helping people via role-play therapy inside the game itself. In addition you also have Assassin's, people who operate at the command of a therapist, who target addicts within the game itself expunging them from the game and helping them in their 'real-life'.

If you're into Video games, Sci-fi and Psychology I'd give it a look in, just for how the first arc is dealt with on it's own.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wow, U19 really scared everyone off for translating the Jump Starts.

I mean it should, it was a really atrocious comic that used the unholy soul of Jack Chick for a Menials vs People who actauly knew what a Thatcher actually was story with all the stubbly of a Let's Player playing Exiles of Conan so yeah.

Gotta wait for Monday

I don't get why people are saying U19 is good though...
Art is bad, characters are stock, story is dumb

Natsunokumo Ch1-23: Just accidently stumbled across this little gem of a Sci-fi manga and what a little gem it is (In it's own weird little way). Only problem is I can't really begin to explain any of the plot related greatness as it all only makes sense by the end of the first arc.

I started this series over 10 years ago...
maybe one day I will finish it!

mdubs

Banned
Gotta wait for Monday

I don't think we were saying it was great or anything, just that a number of us couldn't see how people were reporting it as trash after one chapter primarily focused on setting up things

Sandfox

Gotta wait for Monday

The initial posts about it were people saying it's the worse thing they ever read and other simply said it's not as bad as those people led them to believe.

Based on the first chapter I would say that the art is fine for a new mangaka and the actual premise itself isn't a bad idea for a story.

Gotta wait for Monday

I don't think we were saying it was great or anything, just that a number of us couldn't see how people were reporting it as trash after one chapter primarily focused on setting up things

The initial posts about it were people saying it's the worse thing they ever read and other simply said it's not as bad as those people led them to believe.

Based on the first chapter I would say that the art is fine for a new mangaka and the actual premise itself isn't a bad idea for a story.

Yeah the story is dumb but at the same time its an interesting enough premise (anime codename knd) that I'm willing to give it a chance. Of the many dime a dozen shonen shit that jump picks up the world of U19 is certainly fairly unique. I wouldn't really call the characters stock since our lead is fairly unique in the world of shonen heroes, how many other shonen manga have their protagonist take on gender defying hobbies? The art is also fine its not eye gouging bad like Samon was and that somehow endured.

Helck 89

The choice that is being given to Helck is a very harsh one. I cant help but think that the "King" is up to no good. Anyway, Anne won't let it happen.

Also, the Valentine Day omake was cute.

wamberz1

Helck 89

We SOMA now boys

Going to be interesting to see if Helck takes the deal. Knowing him he'll probably accept, unless a third option is presented.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Helck ch. 89

Kind of endearing how Vamirio immediately turns the offer down for him. I don't think Helck refuses here though. Not for that trade off.

The Promised Neverland ch. 27

This is certainly a plan alright. Emma's almost a little too proud of her idea, heh.

Melancholia ch. 3

A feel good chapter to cap off the night, thanks Sayman.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 25
From the cradle to the grave. Your grave, princess. I'm unsure what the fuss over that fluff bug's predicament was, when it could've just been resurrected anyway. Well, maybe the demons have bigger hearts than I do.

Conan-san

Gotta wait for Monday

My point is usually those who are so inclined usually don't wait but I haven't even seen spoilers for U19 chapter 2 or this week's (Prince Poro's Picture Diary or something?) Jump Start which means the comics suddenly got a hell of a lot more fluant or they just don't care too.

And given U19 was awful, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 21

Pfft, when I was 4 days old I could already walk, talk and laugh at other people's misfortune. This chapter gets my seal of disapproval, fortunately there's a 2.57% chance of him being a reoccurring feature. Also plz no drill Miyubi.

Zweizer

Banned
Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch25

On the bright side, she didn't cause any carnage this time. Truly, they ought to honor her desires more often.

Henjo - Hen na Joshi Kousei Amaguri Chiko ch21

She's true to her word at least, in that she successfully protected her, lol.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch21

This does raise the question: what defines a baby?

Qurupeke

So, I started Dungeon Meshi. It's pretty good. A lot of text but I still find the attention to detail very interesting. Also, I really like all the members of the party. A lot of deadpan expressions and Marsilla's reactions are always good. I hope the rumors of an anime adaptation are true.

Also, I read about 10 chapters of Kumo desu ga, nani ka?, the one about the girl transforming to a spider in a fantasy world. It's actually better than I expected. Similar premise to the one with the Slime, but the execution seems more interesting. Instead of turning her to a hero, she's basically a low level monster.

mdubs

Banned
My point is usually those who are so inclined usually don't wait but I haven't even seen spoilers for U19 chapter 2 or this week's (Prince Poro's Picture Diary or something?) Jump Start which means the comics suddenly got a hell of a lot more fluant or they just don't care too.

And given U19 was awful, I'm leaning towards the latter.
This is such a weird train of thought

Top Bottom