• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice released on iOS/Android

I didn't even realize there was one after Dual Destinies. As a one-time fan of the series, I feel like the quality really dropped off a cliff after AA3. I didn't much like Dual Destinies. How is this one compared to that?

LordKano

I didn't even realize there was one after Dual Destinies. As a one-time fan of the series, I feel like the quality really dropped off a cliff after AA3. I didn't much like Dual Destinies. How is this one compared to that?

Much better, it's easily amongst the best in the serie.

Shiggy

In addition to the main game (Episodes 1 through 5), the Special Episode and Costume Set add-ons are also included with the purchase of this app.

That's good. On 3DS you had to pay for them.

I personally found this one more engaging than the fifth game. It is a proper continuation of the story from Ace Attorney 4 with many callbacks and references to that game. The new setting is also refreshing and I enjoyed the many twists and turns that the cases had (even if case 4 was a slog)

Spirit of Justice is arguably best in the series, other than maybe 3. They came out too far apart for me to decide between the two.

It's way better than Dual Destinies (though I still liked that game too).

Most people (Myself included) think it better than Dual Destinies. It still has a few cliches and isn't the Mia/Maya(even though she returns)/Gumshoe/Godot greatness that AA3 was but it has 5 great cases and 1 not so good one, which all the games have TBF, with case 3 being the best.

Then again I really liked Dual Destinies so maybe disregard me lol.

Solid, I'd argue it still lacks the punch of the original trilogy from an overall writing standpoint but it stepped up a lot from Dual Destinies in pretty much all departments.

I do have to admit though, one of my problems with this series being sold on smart devices means I have issues playing it without an internet connection. For example I purchased Ace Attorney 4 for my iPad but all I can play without a connection is the free starting chapter. I can only access the other episodes, which I paid for and downloaded, if I’m connected to an internet source.

These games are perfect for when I’m on a train for 5 hours every few months but I can’t play them due to this stupid thing.

cHinzo

Then again I really liked Dual Destinies so maybe disregard me lol.

I liked DD too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Love how there was not much backtracking (even though the exploration part got dumbed down), the new characters were great and the story was solid. Only the cases in the middle were boring as usual (only T&T had entertaining ones).

Anyone bought the mobile version and how does it compare to the handheld one?

ryushe

I'm a huge fan of the AA series, but I couldn't even finish AA5 and now y'all saying SoJ is one of the best in the series?

I wanna believe....

NSESN

I'm a huge fan of the AA series, but I couldn't even finish AA5 and now y'all saying SoJ is one of the best in the series?

I wanna believe....

It is the best game from the second triology and better than AAI1 and AA2. It is silightly behinnd AA3 for me. AAI2 and the first AA are untouchable tho.

ryushe

It is the best game from the second triology and better than AAI1 and AA2. It is silightly behinnd AA3 for me. AAI2 and the first AA are untouchable tho.
Does one have to finish AA5 to play AA6?

I understand how silly that question is, especially given the context of this series, but I REALLY did not like AA5.

I understand how silly that question is, especially given the context of this series, but I REALLY did not like AA5.

First AA game I found a slog to get through.

And I can't even identify why, really. Still haven't finished it.

Not really. Only Athena and Simon are characters from AA5, you just might not get why they are there or not known their personality quirks.

I just realised that the Trilogy isn't even up on Android yet while the rest of the main series is. Good job Capcpom lol.

Oh and the Spirit of Justice page doesn't even include "Ace Attorney" or "Phoenix Wright" in the title.

NSESN

I would say AA4 is more important than 5. Apollo is much important tha Athena in this game.

Gaspard

You don't HAVE to finish AA5 to do AA6 imo. Athena and Simon really are the only elements brought from that game, not any significant plot iirc.

I do recommend case 1 of AA5 because it raised my respect for Apollo since AA4 made him kind of a doormat.

Griss

Dual Destinies put together a fantastic engine for modern PW games - beautiful visuals and fantastic animation. Unfortunately that's about all it did as (most of) the cases, the overarching story, and most new characters were all poor.

Spirit of Justice takes that excellent technical foundation and actually builds a good story around it. For the first time ever, Apollo Justice is a worthwhile character here, Athena is mostly shoved back in a closet somewhere which is a huge improvement over AA5 already. The kingdom of Kurain gets enough screentime and worldbuilding that you do start to care about it - which matters as more than 50% of the game is about it.

Honestly, I liked every single case in this game. The very last one (or the second half of it, anyway) is probably the weakest just because it goes so far over the top. But as a whole hugely superior to AA4 and AA5.

Way better. I think it's too 3 for sure. Even the bullshit filler case is fun.

Fuckin' FINALLY for Android stuff, my god. Now bring trilogy over here too

I would say you definitely need to play AA5 to play AA6. That being said, I didn't like this one too much because it:

Goes all in on that fuckin Kurain shit that was always annoying in the other games
Has the worst prosecutor in the history of the series

Griss

Fuckin' FINALLY for Android stuff, my god. Now bring trilogy over here too

I would say you definitely need to play AA5 to play AA6. That being said, I didn't like this one too much because it:

Goes all in on that fuckin Kurain shit that was always annoying in the other games
Has the worst prosecutor in the history of the series

The bolded is definitely the weakest part of the game. They should just have dropped the idea that the prosecutor needs to be built up into a huge rival, since that's not really what this game is about, and the prosecutor here doesn't have enough to him to stay interesting over the course of the entire game.

So yeah, that's the weak point.

Brine

This was one of the AA games that I actually had to force myself to finish. I personally just dislike the Spirit stuff and this amped it up to another level.

emag

I liked AA5 a lot more than AA6, though that's possibly due to playing AA5 on iOS (iPad Mini 2) and AA6 on a 3DS (XL).

I especially disliked how drawn out some of the cases were in AA6, despite the scenario being blindingly obvious from the get-go (Case 3 was particularly egregious in how slow Phoenix was to realize what had happened, and Case 5 was far too lengthy as well). The less said about AA6 Case 4, the better. Also, the "final boss" in AA5 was amazing, whereas AA6's was all bark and no bite. AA6 Case 2 was great, though, even though it was entirely disconnected from the rest of the game (it might as well have been a DLC for AA5).

That said, you don't have to play AA5 to understand AA6. There aren't really any story threads that you'll be missing out on.

NotLiquid

You can play any game in the series without having had to play any previous game.

That said, AA6 is kind of like AA3, in that the game becomes a lot more satisfying if you've played the previous games, since it concludes several character arcs that were established throughout their respective trilogy with a huge bang.

Frost_Ace

You should play the fan translation of Ace Attorney Investigations 2, probably the best game in the series.

The bolded is definitely the weakest part of the game. They should just have dropped the idea that the prosecutor needs to be built up into a huge rival, since that's not really what this game is about, and the prosecutor here doesn't have enough to him to stay interesting over the course of the entire game.

So yeah, that's the weak point.

I felt like AA5 did a pretty good job with this, in that Simon's pretty even-keeled for the most part. Felt more like AA1 where Edgeworth would switch sides if needed.

ryushe

I would say AA4 is more important than 5. Apollo is much important tha Athena in this game.
already played and finished AA4. And I liked it more than others and was the biggest reason I was so excited for AA5, cause it was the return of mentor Wright.

Then I played it and I was as if Phoenix's character regressed to a first year law student.

You don't HAVE to finish AA5 to do AA6 imo. Athena and Simon really are the only elements brought from that game, not any significant plot iirc.

I do recommend case 1 of AA5 because it raised my respect for Apollo since AA4 made him kind of a doormat.
Oh, I've played through the first 3 cases. I just have no desire to go back and finish the last two(?).

You can play any game in the series without having had to play any previous game.
I don't know if I'd say that, but I get you.

Menitta

I really liked AA6 as I do every game in this series but I did find it the weakest entry. That being said it does have some really solid investigation sections, and Ema Skye is great. It's also got the greatest new AA character ever.
ON YOUR FEET SOLDIER!!

Edit: also the music isn't as good as AA5 but that's not even fair imo.

Jawmuncher

Nice. What's the pricing for all the episodes?
Edit: Ahh seems to be $20. Though considering this a better price than the 3DS version and is superior that's not bad.
Now to wonder if they've put the series on sale on iOS.

Edit 2: IOS Pricing if you just want the story is 16 + tax
18+ tax if you want the additional episode.

You save some money compared to the Android Version. But you don't get the costumes.

Top Bottom