• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice released on iOS/Android

GSR

So once AA4 drops in November, all the courtroom games in the series will be available on both 3DS and mobile, huh. (Except DGS2, but that came out like a month and a half ago on 3DS.) I feel like Switch/PC ports are an inevitability next time they have an off year in new entries, lol.

SoJ isn't a favorite, but I like it much more than DD, and the utter spectacle of it all makes it entertaining enough to play.

emag

A mobile version will never be a definitive version compared to a handheld version regardless of graphics. The control options are so much better on 3DS.

Not for this kind of game. The 3DS controls are much less engaging.

Jeffrey

So once AA4 drops in November, all the courtroom games in the series will be available on both 3DS and mobile, huh. (Except DGS2, but that came out like a month and a half ago on 3DS.) I feel like Switch/PC ports are an inevitability next time they have an off year in new entries, lol.

SoJ isn't a favorite, but I like it much more than DD, and the utter spectacle of it all makes it entertaining enough to play.
Don't think the og trilogy is on Android yet at least in the US?

Hilarion

I really like Spirit of Justice. It might be my favorite in the series. Then again, I also really liked the fifth game and thought it was better than any of the original trilogy, so...

Guess Who

Banned
A mobile version will never be a definitive version compared to a handheld version regardless of graphics. The control options are so much better on 3DS.

I too demand only the most tactile button to tap to go to the next line of dialogue

aravuus

The 123HD port is pretty bad on phones, yeah. A shame, because it's fine on 3DS and all the other mobile ports are great.

Yeah. Good to hear the rest are fine either way. I have a lot of different ways to replay the original trilogy, anyway.

Sciz

One of the series' best, and a huge improvement from 5 in particular.

What's wrong with Dual Destinies? I got it for 3DS few weeks back and I'm on the second case.

It's not bad, per se, but it's very much Ace Attorney by the numbers. No serious lows, but also no real highs. Most of the game revolves around Athena, and she's just not an interesting enough character to carry the lead role nor does she bounce off of the existing cast well, and Blackquill's a mediocre foe besides. The game literally starts out with a bang and it still struggles to build any tension. It's also far too eager to give you the answers before you even get a chance to puzzle out the logic yourself.

Aurelius

One of the series' best, and a huge improvement from 5 in particular.

It's not bad, per se, but it's very much Ace Attorney by the numbers. No serious lows, but also no real highs.
But you get to cross examine a killer whale!

302d6992126560d6d59bb9bbee4292e7.jpg

GeoGonzo

Yikes, the name of the first person you meet. Sounds like a Phoenix Wright game, indeed.

Anyway, this is a great way of starting a friday!

Link1110

Play the first case in Japanese if you can. There's one character that got REALLY toned down in the translation.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Yikes, the name of the first person you meet. Sounds like a Phoenix Wright game, indeed.

Anyway, this is a great way of starting a friday!

The names in Spirit of Justice do get pretty over the top, even for an AA game.

HyGogg

Banned
I'm glad the iOS version uses a DLC model, because it's a crashy unplayable piece of shit on my (older) iPad. The previous games all ran perfectly, but getting out of the main menus is a dice roll on this.

Works fine on a cheapy 5 year old Android tablet I got for free though.

MrBadger

What's wrong with Dual Destinies? I got it for 3DS few weeks back and I'm on the second case.

I thought the cases went on too long and the murder methods were too convoluted to the point where I got lost trying to follow how the killer pulled off the murder, and just stopped caring. As well as that, all the cases were too black and white. All of the villains are over-the-top evil caricatures, and the motives for their crimes are just footnotes at the end of the trials. I preferred older games, which explored the motives of the villains, and didn't absolve "good" characters of all wrongdoing the way DD does.

Having said that, the DLC case is great and doesn't really share those pitfalls. And Spirit of Justice is a much better game in general.

addik

Just wondering, I've stopped following the series after 3 mainly because I heard that 4 was a pretty awkward game. When they announced Dual Destinies, I wanted to get back into the series, especially since I heard you really didn't need 4 to appreciate that. I was wondering if I should play those two first before going to 6, or can I go into 6 and just read summaries of 4 and 5?

MrBadger

Just wondering, I've stopped following the series after 3 mainly because I heard that 4 was a pretty awkward game. When they announced Dual Destinies, I wanted to get back into the series, especially since I heard you really didn't need 4 to appreciate that. I was wondering if I should play those two first before going to 6, or can I go into 6 and just read summaries of 4 and 5?

4 takes the series in a very different direction, so I'd recommend playing that one. 5 you could probably get away with skipping, as 6 doesn't really continue its story. It has a short filler case centred around two characters from 5, but that's it.

Sami+

The sound is kind of crackly on my Pixel XL for some reason. It kinda hurts my ears with headphones lol.

Btw I went into this one blind because even though I'm a huuuuuuge fan of AA1-3 I hated 5 and was more interested in The Great Ace Attorney which we never got. Is uh... this entire game set in Khurain? I'm pretty far into the first case now and kind of hate it. The writing is really bad and I'm not about this setting at all.

Izuna

Banned
I bought this a few days ago and haven't played it at all because it is landscape only so I can't play on the bus.

I don't think I'm a gamer anymore.

But if anyone knows a fox for Android please lemme know.

Btw I went into this one blind because even though I'm a huuuuuuge fan of AA1-3 I hated 5 and was more interested in The Great Ace Attorney which we never got. Is uh... this entire game set in Khurain? I'm pretty far into the first case now and kind of hate it. The writing is really bad and I'm not about this setting at all.

No. It jumps back and forth between cases in Khurain court and classic court.

Izuna

Banned
Loved the first Act, just like the older games.

... The tube service Act I have to pay as this idiot again. Ffs

Ryu1999

So for some reason the sound effects work but there’s no music. I checked the settings and volume and there doesn’t seem to be any problems there. Anyone have any ideas? I’m on iOS

ZeroX03

Banned
How did I miss this? I knew AA4 was coming but had no idea about this.

Great game. Big step up from Dual Destinies.

So for some reason the sound effects work but there’s no music. I checked the settings and volume and there doesn’t seem to be any problems there. Anyone have any ideas? I’m on iOS

Is your phone on silent lol

Bravocado

I want to pick this up on Android for a long flight coming up, but I'm hearing that the game is unplayable if not connected to the internet?

How did I miss this? I knew AA4 was coming but had no idea about this.

Great game. Big step up from Dual Destinies.

Totally agree with you there. I really liked Dual Destinies, but I found SoJ way more entertaining, flowed better etc. SoJ seems polarizing. Some people love it, and others hate it. Myself and others have put it up with the original trilogy (I'd say below 3, but above 1 and 2), but others have called it the worst in the series. Guess it depends on what you like.

Chauzu

Totally agree with you there. I really liked Dual Destinies, but I found SoJ way more entertaining, flowed better etc. SoJ seems polarizing. Some people love it, and others hate it. Myself and others have put it up with the original trilogy (I'd say below 3, but above 1 and 2), but others have called it the worst in the series. Guess it depends on what you like.
I’m on #TeamLove at least. Fantastic game, and Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 didn’t disappoint either. I hope Capcom get their shit together soon, because quality wise at least Ace Attorney is doing work lately.

I’m on #TeamLove at least. Fantastic game, and Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 didn’t disappoint either. I hope Capcom get their shit together soon, because quality wise at least Ace Attorney is doing work lately.

Definitely on #TeamLove here too! I replayed it recently, actually. Really, really fun game. And I really dig the soundtrack especially over in Khura'in. And I even found the "filler cases" to be really entertaining this time around. I think that was my issue with Dual Destinies.. The filler cases really didn't grab my attention all too much in comparison.

Really perched for the eventual AA7 announcement tbh :'(

Just Started Spirit of Justice , Funny Story is that I have an IPad which I played all of Ace Attorney titles on it ( Except for Apollo Justice ) and I was going to buy a 3DS especially in order to play AA6 , I was going to pay for a used one in Friday 22 Seb ..... and Capcom Released it on IOS on Thursday 21 Seb , So thanks Capcom for saving me the price of buying a console in the nick of time even though I like Nintendo consoles and games but I wasn't originally had a plan to buy a 3DS for the moment if it wasn't for AA6 , But I will get one later for sure

Anyway I finished Case 2 and Something is bothering me without much Spoilers , Are the Remaining cases twists as obvious as this one , They gave away Two Major hints early in the case and a Final Major hint in the middle of it that led me to know the True identify of the Culprit , They could had revealed one and save the other late in the case in order to clear any suspicious but I was bothered that they gave away it that easy early in the case , The Old Games " except for the cases where they show the true Culprit in the prologue " gave hints here and there but Nothing was too obvious like this one

Anyway I finished Case 2 and Something is bothering me without much Spoilers , Are the Remaining cases twists as obvious as this one , They gave away Two Major hints early in the case and a Final Major hint in the middle of it that led me to know the True identify of the Culprit , They could had revealed one and save the other late in the case in order to clear any suspicious but I was bothered that they gave away it that easy early in the case , The Old Games " except for the cases where they show the true Culprit in the prologue " gave hints here and there but Nothing was too obvious like this one

I'd say they remaining cases are definitely not as obvious as Case #2. I found the Magic Show case to be a bit on the obvious side for sure, but cases #3 and #5 specifically have some really good twists etc.

I'd say they remaining cases are definitely not as obvious as Case #2. I found the Magic Show case to be a bit on the obvious side for sure, but cases #3 and #5 specifically have some really good twists etc.

Yea , I'm in the middle of case 3 , i have some theories but i am not totally sure like i was in case 2 , although outside the obvious twist in case 2 but i liked the case because i like the gramayre plot

Yea , I'm in the middle of case 3 , i have some theories but i am not totally sure like i was in case 2 , although outside the obvious twist in case 2 but i liked the case because i like the gramayre plot

Yeah, I was really glad they didn't ignore Troupe Gramarye this time around like they did in DD! Despite the obviousness of it, I did find it a fun case :).

Hope you enjoy the rest of the game!!

Yeah, I was really glad they didn't ignore Troupe Gramarye this time around like they did in DD! Despite the obviousness of it, I did find it a fun case :).

Hope you enjoy the rest of the game!!

Thanks :) , I just Saw that Huge twist regarding one of the main character's past , This is getting more and more interesting :)

MAtgS

But you get to cross examine a killer whale!

302d6992126560d6d59bb9bbee4292e7.jpg

It's amazing how little of 5 I remember. Like I think there was a college at some point, & the court room got bombed &......yeah that's it. Couldn't even tell you the main prosecutor.

Permanently A

I'm a huge fan of the AA series, but I couldn't even finish AA5 and now y'all saying SoJ is one of the best in the series?

I wanna believe....

Same boat as you man, I got tired of AA5 in the final case.

AA6 is amazing, and has one of the best plot twists I have ever seen in any medium ever.

I will never trust iOS PW ports after how messed up the trilogy port was

The Original Trilogy was a mess in IOS , But Apollo Justice , Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice are all really fine ports

Dual Destinies First episode is free I think , So you can download it and see if its performance will be Good for you

Wanderer5

How are these games on mobile compare to DS/3DS counterparts? I never did checked out Spirit of Justice, so maybe I'll look into the android version sometime.

Top Bottom