• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

sasuke_91

I'm taking a last minute trip for Global King of Iron Fist so it's going to be very tight. Visitors can come in from 8:30 to 9:25.

My night bus gets to Yokohama at 6am so I'll just go to the venue direct. There's a 400 person limit at the venue.

It's brutal, this might suck if I go and I can't get in.

Any gaffers going? I think Markman is going to be there?

Nice! Have fun there and I hope you make it in in the first place :D

At the end of the day, though, I can even tolerate that Tekken 7 is just Tekken 6 with worse character designs and more egregiously hideous customs but the wait is whats intolerable. And then they expect fans to stay positive in the face of all of this.

The customs are a step-up to the bad customization options in TTT2 (just talking about options, not what people make of it) and the redesigns for returning characters have been mostly solid.

Not going to comment on anything else anymore. I'll wait until KoIFT 2016 and see what we get there.

Not if they release a FTP Tekken Revolution styled model on Steam /PSN /XBL of Tekken 7 where they can monetize the amount people play while making it region locked to Europe/NA/SA/South Asia/Middle East. And whenever they have the single player content finished they can release it as a full priced game on store shelves as the complete version for casuals.

That way they still make their money off Japan /Korea arcades and allow the rest of the world that cares to still pay and enjoy their product.

But Namco's gonna Namco.

What you're proposing here is for Namco to to take a different approach in their business model, that is a risk that big publishers will never do until that approach proved to have acceptable net gain, Harada suggested that TR wasn't profitable.
we had Tekken Revolution free-to-play, and because the fighting game started in an arcade where you pay as you go, 100 Yen or $1 per play. We tried that online virtually and it's kind of tough, but then if you make the game totally free-to-play it's hard to get enough revenue to support the game. It was quite difficult.

Sayah

The customs are a step-up to the bad customization options in TTT2 (just talking about options, not what people make of it) and the redesigns for returning characters have been mostly solid.

Not going to comment on anything else anymore. I'll wait until KoIFT 2016 and see what we get there.

I was talking in reference to Tekken 6 but even with Tag 2, the recycled customs look much worse in Tekken 7 than Tag 2 because of how jarring it is to see good graphics marred by old customs.

Sayah

What you're proposing here is for Namco to to take a different approach in their business model, that is a risk that big publishers will never do until that approach proved to have acceptable net gain, Harada suggested that TR wasn't profitable.

Even with 3 million downloads, why the heck would anyone spend actual money on Tekken Revolution when it's essentially just SP Tag 2 with a bad RPG type gimmick upgrade system for increasing health, power, etc. Killer Instinct already followed the F2P model successfully. People want to spend money on new games, not old repackaged content like TR. I say this as someone that purchased Nina in TR.

AAK

The quote is saying if they made Tekken Revolution completely free to play like Dota /LOL rather than the pay per game model seen in TR it would have been "difficult". It doesn't say anywhere that Tekken Revolution wasn't profitable.

And I agree I'm clearly saying a new model is way overdue. The current system is aggravatingly stupid.

The quote is saying if they made Tekken Revolution completely free to play like Dota /LOL rather than the pay per game model seen in TR it would have been "difficult". It doesn't say anywhere that Tekken Revolution wasn't profitable.

And I agree I'm clearly saying a new model is way overdue. The current system is aggravatingly stupid.

I meant to write that TR wasn't profitable enough, apologies.

It's more about taking the risk of doing something that might potentially hurt the franchise, SF5 is a shining example to why you need to be careful with how general audience will experience the game. While I don't think that it was responsible for the far below expected sale figures, I think the negative first impressions will haunt the game for a long time. Most console Tekken fans that are going to buy the game expects more than the game being competitively good and balanced, people complained about T5DR not having arcade endings for most of the cast, lack of causal modes and stripped content. I think that if T7 gets a some sort of initial release (F2P or not) that doesn't cater to the majority of its potential customers and misdeliver people will just lose interest and move on, and from there it's going to be really hard to bring them back.

Tekken 7 has been out for a good while at this point and surely made a lot of money already what damage could it cause now this late in the game?.

GrayFoxPL

They are not stupid. Not long after T7 hits homes, they'll release something fresh on arcades to milk players again(SCVI, TxSF?),a game that won't be ported for next 3 years, ha!

Onemic

Does Namco typically continue to support a Tekken title with balance updates after its release on home consoles?

GrayFoxPL

Does Namco typically continue to support a Tekken title with balance updates after its release on home consoles?

Tag 2 and Revo were only ones with any real post release support.
Tag2 got WTF removed not long after release(nobody wanted to pay server costs), but we got free characters and stages.
Revo got updates with fun bonuses and monthly new characters until someone said: "Stop! We'll make Tekken 7 from this shit!"
Revo unnaturally stopped dead in it's tracks, because T7 moneys.

They usually patch the game if something is broken(Tag2, even T6 stuff) but they never patched Revo disconnect glitch, because they didn't give a shit anymore.

Edit:

Sorry, you were asking only for balance updates? I didn't read carefully, fuck.

They make new versions of game usually until T7 that got new version as well as balance updates. Patches are a thing now for Tekken.

AAK

I meant to write that TR wasn't profitable enough, apologies.

The quote doesn't mention that either. It just says the full free to play model that doesn't involve the ticket system would be difficult. It doesn't say anything about how Tekken Revolution wasn't profitable enough. Besides, I'm kinda done trusting Namco when it comes to PR interviews. They were the same company claiming Tekken 7 would have every character remade from scratch during the Comic-con panel when in reality they copied and pasted 98% of the animations and outfits from the TTT2.

It's more about taking the risk of doing something that might potentially hurt the franchise, SF5 is a shining example to why you need to be careful with how general audience will experience the game. While I don't think that it was responsible for the far below expected sale figures, I think the negative first impressions will haunt the game for a long time. Most console Tekken fans that are going to buy the game expects more than the game being competitively good and balanced, people complained about T5DR not having arcade endings for most of the cast, lack of causal modes and stripped content. I think that if T7 gets a some sort of initial release (F2P or not) that doesn't cater to the majority of its potential customers and misdeliver people will just lose interest and move on, and from there it's going to be really hard to bring them back.

No one is saying make this the only model and take the risk of abandoning the Japan/Korea arcade revenue. Namco can keep their arcade business running in Japan and Korea. All I'm saying is open the market for the rest of the world that won't be serviced to Japan/Korea. And the FTP TR route is perfect for that. The software is already developed with MarkMan sitting with a copy at his home. It would be nice to deploy that software on a platform Namco can monetize from. The result is no different from what's going on now except the rest of the world can give Namco their money to enjoy the game on a platform/avenue available to them.

Sayah

The quote doesn't mention that either. It just says the full free to play model that doesn't involve the ticket system would be difficult. It doesn't say anything about how Tekken Revolution wasn't profitable enough. Besides, I'm kinda done trusting Namco when it comes to PR interviews. They were the same company claiming Tekken 7 would have every character remade from scratch during the Comic-con panel when in reality they copied and pasted 98% of the animations and outfits from the TTT2.

Same thing happened with Nina. She wasn't in vanilla because she was apparently being reinvented. I guess namco perceives reinvention as adding 2-3 new moves and changing properties for some moves.

No one is saying make this the only model and take the risk of abandoning the Japan/Korea arcade revenue. Namco can keep their arcade business running in Japan and Korea. All I'm saying is open the market for the rest of the world that won't be serviced to Japan/Korea. And the FTP TR route is perfect for that. The software is already developed with MarkMan sitting with a copy at his home. It would be nice to deploy that software on a platform Namco can monetize from. The result is no different from what's going on now except the rest of the world can give Namco their money to enjoy the game on a platform/avenue available to them.

I don't think Namco will allow Harada or any developer under their wing to discuss something the PR team forbade them to say, including the discussion of bad numbers. That's what I took form what he said about bringing Tekken as a virtual arcade machine and describing that it was tough the way it is now. I bet you that TR didn't take a lot of money and time to get it started and it doesn't require a huge investment to maintain.

And I disagree that a region locked, shy-on-content F2P Tekken 7 won't hurt their business in the regions that they want to lock out. You will offer the whole world outside of Korea, Japan and whatever country in their IP tables the convenience of playing Tekken from comforts of their homes, that's a different product and one that people most likely want to have rather than playing in arcades and possibly can get via going through VPNs or like this, creating a new problem to the development team that shouldn't exist.

AAK

And I disagree that a region locked, shy-on-content F2P Tekken 7 won't hurt their business in the regions that they want to lock out. You will offer the whole world outside of Korea, Japan and whatever country in their IP tables the convenience of playing Tekken from comforts of their homes, that's a different product and one that people most likely want to have rather than playing in arcades and possibly can get via going through VPNs or like this, creating a new problem to the development team that shouldn't exist.

You're 100% right that there will be a product that Japan and Korea will be denied. I'm of the opinion it's by and large a significantly lesser evil compared to denying every other continent with millions of more people the game with the current model. Especially when the only inconvenience for the Japanese/Koreans is to travel to their local arcade. Now compare that to the current reality where the only way the vast majority of other Tekken fans accross the world to play the game is to wait for a Wizard World or international FGC event and travel to.

lupinko

I don't think Namco will allow Harada or any developer under their wing to discuss something the PR team forbade them to say, including the discussion of bad numbers. That's what I took form what he said about bringing Tekken as a virtual arcade machine and describing that it was tough the way it is now. I bet you that TR didn't take a lot of money and time to get it started and it doesn't require a huge investment to maintain.

As someone who lives in Japan, even with a console version of Tekken 7, I would still go out and play the arcade version.

I would say the same for SFV. And my internet is fiber optic too.

It wont hurt their business model to release F2P in the west. Japanese & Korean players WANT to go to the arcade. That's why even long after console release all their tournaments are arcade tournies & they only go there. The social aspect is huge.

Every dumb outfit you see in T7 arcades, somebody is paying $3 a month for the rights to wear.

Bruhhhh Namco has the greatest con game going. Random unlocks and pay to keep!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Every dumb outfit you see in T7 arcades, somebody is paying $3 a month for the rights to wear.

It's no wonder that they're taking their sweet time to bring it home. If Tekken's gameplay wasn't so good I'd bet we'd be seeing more outcries of "scam" or "user base abuse". Personally can't imagine investing so much into a single game, especially knowing that a considerably cheaper home version is on the way. Slowly. Oh so slowly.

lupinko

The unlocks aren't random anymore. You have the option besides Lotto tickets to get items now.

A lot has changed since vanilla.

Fraeon

Yeeaah, I haven't been posting here much since what's there to say? If you think Namco of US is bad, then Namco of Europe is... well...

We have a nordic tour going with T7FR (ver B I think) and out of 30 tournaments Finland got 2. Well, it seems the situation is pretty grim for the second since the event Namco was supposed to bring T7 to (Desucon) didn't even know that they were even bringing that game.

So it's a very tentative maybe (but probably not) for that tourney.

I should go to Sweden since they seem to have a whole bunch of tourneys till the release.

We have a nordic tour going with T7FR (ver B I think) and out of 30 tournaments Finland got 2.

After the closure of the Benelux office, apparently the Netherlands is part of Bandai Namco Nordic's purview. Guess how many we got?

It's a big fat 0 of course.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Are they gonna throw us console/western peasants a bone with some news/release date after the tourney, or are they going to let 2016 end the way it began?

GrayFoxPL

After the closure of the Benelux office, apparently the Netherlands is part of Bandai Namco Nordic's purview. Guess how many we got?

Anyway, what do you guys think? Are they gonna throw us console/western peasants a bone with some news/release date after the tourney, or are they going to let 2016 end the way it began?

Julia
n
/JayCee reveal and that's it.

But if not I won't be surprised or upset for a second. They're killing Tekken everyday with their "Don't care, wait losers." attitude anyway.

Best thing that could happen to Tekken at this point is sudden(unrealistic) revival of Virtua Fighter to make them think twice about what are they doing and how they should treat old fans that are waiting endlessly for scraps like old useless hounds.

Rajang

Julia and release date.

And Lei.

Nuszka

Im back here again... Lol, doing my best to stay away from any tekken related forums as i don't see the point of hyping myself for something that is coming at some unknown future. I was weak , tomorrow might be the day.
Btw that new stage music is from Ninas reveal trailer.
Footage must be from consoles again as it lacks a lot of detail and effects.

What time do the globals start?

CzK3VPzXEAEpNqH.jpg:large

Yup.

No Asuka, Bob, Feng, Gigas, Heihachi, Hwoarang, Kazuya, Katarina, Lili, Chloe, Nina or Shaheen. Some of those are a pretty big surprise to me.

sasuke_91

Devil is a beast. Never got to play him though.
MattJF's Steve is interesting. It's cool how every Steve player has a different style.

LowParry

So with GF going on soon, are we expecting any sort of console announcement or just shred of any hope of that?

At at the very least, new character announcements?

GrayFoxPL

So with GF going on soon, are we expecting any sort of console announcement or just shred of any hope of that?

At at the very least, new character announcements?

At the very least we get nothing.

At the very best release date and Julia.

Don't hype yourself up with Namco, the tourney results are the most exciting thing about this.

LowParry

Don't hype yourself up with Namco, the tourney results are the most exciting thing about this.

I've kind of lost all hype for the console release. T7 is just spectator game for me which is super sad.

GrayFoxPL

I've kind of lost all hype for the console release. T7 is just spectator game for me which is super sad.

Most of us did. "Spectator game" - well said. T7 is indeed a spectator game for us for years now. No joke.

T7 will be an old game on the day of release.

How unimaginative!

Worst case: console version cancelled, they call us bitches and whiners again, say "we could have done nothing" a lot. Namco closing down at the end of the year.

Best case: Tekken 8 coming out on console in February 2017 instead.

=D

(Honestly i want to expect a release date and a (completely new) character, but we've been let down a lot so i don't dare hope. )

Top Bottom