• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Tales games revealed in Jump

duckroll

Eteric Rice said:
x396jc.jpg

:p

Well, it's your opinion too, so that makes two of us! BFFs! :D

Pooya

Jigsaw said:
i dont even know who or what johntv is,but when the voice actor is asked in a video and says he records new lines then why not believe him?
wat, john tv, forum admin here on GAF, his company is 8-4 IIRC, the company responsible for localizing ToV 360.

Rpgmonkey

Big B said:
So which games are going to have 2D battles? the teams are confusing. :(

The only people that are still doing 2D stuff are only working on portables so far.

Chances are the new game is going to be 3D.

duckroll

Jigsaw said:
i dont even know who or what johntv is,but when the voice actor is asked in a video and says he records new lines then why not believe him?

No one says they didn't record the lines. We said it's not being released. There are many times where localizations are started or even paid for and completed, only for the title not to be released at all. Square Enix has done it. Namco has done it. Nintendo has done it.

I'm happy yet sad about this announcement. I feel like there is more of a chance Graces will be translated now, but it also means I'll be even more disappointed when it isn't. At least there is a chance it will be translated to english for europe and because the PS3 is region free I can just import that version, right?...right?

Jigsaw

Banned
Linkzg said:
At least there is a chance it will be translated to english for europe and because the PS3 is region free I can just import that version, right?...right?

yep,because the number of tales games on sony consoles in europe is...0 :D

the only ones that made it to europe are eternia and of the world 1 on psp

No one says they didn't record the lines. We said it's not being released. There are many times where localizations are started or even paid for and completed, only for the title not to be released at all. Square Enix has done it. Namco has done it. Nintendo has done it.

meh :\

manzo

klee123 said:
lol, I have no idea. Which sold more in Japan? Mega Drive or PC engine?

Otherwise, then Mega Drive then :p That was in 3rd place right?

Anyhow, all systems had 2 things in common. Which were lots of ADVs and Shumups.

According to Wikipedia, PC Engine sold worlwide about 10 million units (2.5 million in the states). :)

PC Engine was more popular in Japan than Megadrive.

Kagari said:
MS didn't really push for anything in Japan last year either. This isn't surprising.

Can't blame them though. They tried(?) and failed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
manzo said:
Can't blame them though. They tried(?) and failed.

It doesn't help that the one year late ToV PS3 came out and smashed the 360 version's LTD on the first day of release. I'm sure that made up Namco's mind for them.

duckroll

Kagari said:
It doesn't help that the one year late ToV PS3 came out and smashed the 360 version's LTD on the first day of release. I'm sure that made up Namco's mind for them.

I don't think a new Tales on the PS3 is surprising at all. But I think that the fact that it's not multiplatform is surprising. It might well mean that Namco truly does not view the Tales series to have any international appeal and is not interested in the market outside of Japan anymore.

Synless

duckroll said:
I don't think a new Tales on the PS3 is surprising at all. But I think that the fact that it's not multiplatform is surprising. It might well mean that Namco truly does not view the Tales series to have any international appeal and is not interested in the market outside of Japan anymore.
Sadly, you are most likely right. I hate to admit it as much as the next, but we most likely are not getting any new Tales games in the near future. I mean, Graces was a shoe-in if you think about it (large userbase, people being vocal about wanting the game), but what are we getting? A fan translation, that's what.

Paznos

Man I don't know what to think, we didn't get Graces over here so if we get it for the PS3 that would be great but knowing Namco we probably won't, we didn't get the 2nd PSP game so know we won't be getting the third, maybe we'll get lucky and get the new PS3 game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Black Rainbow said:
So they're porting Graces, a game that's already been released in Japan, to the PS3 and still no word of a Graces release in other parts of the world. And what of the DS games? Is this series Japan-only now? This is incompetence.
Considering that the ToG Wii fan translation team managed to acquire the www.talesofgraces.com URL, you can be damn sure that Scamco has no plans to bring over Graces.

Jigsaw

Banned
Mejilan said:
Considering that the ToG Wii fan translation team managed to acquire the www.talesofgraces.com URL, you can be damn sure that Scamco has no plans to bring over Graces.

there is no talesoftheabyss.com or talesofsymphonia.com either

maybe they plan to release the ps3 and wii versions simultaneously in the west

TreIII

duckroll said:

Sad but (probably) true.

On the other hand, if they're not thinking about the West at all any more, does that mean we can go back to 2D some time soon on a console? :lol

faridmon

I don't care about the console Tales games, if theye were ported to each console or what ever.

If they could localise the Handheld ones, I will be more than satisfied :(

duckroll

TreIII said:
Sad but (probably) true.

On the other hand, if they're not thinking about the West at all any more, does that mean we can go back to 2D some time soon on a console? :lol

I don't think that has anything to do with appealing to the west or anything. The fact is that when designing console level RPGs even in Japan, the expectations in terms of presentation and story scenes are such that 3D isa lot more acceptable. It's also much easier to hire experienced and talented staff within the industry who are good at 3D, rather than 2D. Detailed sprite-work is mostly restricted to handhelds these days because of resolution concerns, and I don't think it will ever change.

Rpgmonkey

duckroll said:

Yeah, after a Graces port and a PS3-exclusive, I have this feeling they're just moving everything to the PS3 and sticking with Japan now...

TreIII said:

I'd love it if they brought back 2D on consoles just once for whenever Eternia gets a remake.

But that's my (totally) insane dream and they'll probably be doing that on a handheld system anyway. :lol

Kyoufu

Rpgmonkey said:
I'm pretty sure having both of these together is just about 100% impossible, much less one of those possibilities. :lol

Yeah I don't think we'll ever see another console 2D Tales game. So sad :(

Pooya

Why you guys think this being only on PS3 means it's only for Japan? it's not like 2007-2008 when PS3 user base was small, not to mention the audience for JRPGs most likely have a PS3 by now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
duckroll said:

I wonder how much money they spend on developing this games, if it makes sense to cater to their japanese home market. Even Sega is trying to get their yakuza games being localized/recognized in the west....

Is as localization really that expensive when you already investing a couple million for a HD rpg ?

wow i don't know what's worse: Namco pulling another fuck you to day 1 fans, or how i'm going to buy ToGF anyway because it's the best rpg this gen. it's like i'm on the other side of the "who are the morons that keep buying into CoD?" shtick.

having finished ToG 3 times, i have to play it again on Wii when the translation patch comes out, and a 5th time when the PS3 version comes out. i guess i will start some futile protest by only buying 1 out of 3 games. fucking Namco.

sonitii said:
I hope they localize Graces and the new title.

Mythology 3 would be localized, Im thinking; though maybe characters would be removed. If so that would be another revealing of one of those 180 PSP titles coming through this year to the end of 2011.

Synless

miladesn said:
Why you guys think this being only on PS3y means it's only for Japan? it's not like 2007-2008 when PS3 user base was small, not to mention the audience for JRPGs most likely have a PS3 by now.
Was the already 95% done and translated Vesperia released here? No. Was Tales of Graces released in the U.S. with its huge userbase on the Wii? No. Odds are, it's not coming.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jigsaw said:
there is no talesoftheabyss.com or talesofsymphonia.com either

maybe they plan to release the ps3 and wii versions simultaneously in the west
Why specify last gen games?
Particularly one published by Nintendo and not Namco?

I'm pretty sure the original ToS US GCN home page was hosted by Nintendo. Either way, legacy Tales pages now seem to be rooted over on the tales.namco.com pages.

More to the point, talesofvesperia.com DOES exist. It's quite telling that Namco let talesofgraces.com slip away, IMHO.

Grimmy

Banned
klee123 said:
lol, I have no idea. Which sold more in Japan? Mega Drive or PC engine?

Otherwise, then Mega Drive then :p That was in 3rd place right?

Anyhow, all systems had 2 things in common. Which were lots of ADVs and Shumups.

Megadrive was a distant 3rd in Japan. The PC Engine was quite popular during its heydays.
But you are right - both seem to be homes of ADVS, Shoot-em-ups and, ugh, hentai.

Vamphuntr

Awesome. I think I will finally pick up Graces. Region free FTW without needing to use a CFW and it's problems. Also excited for the new Tales Of.

TreIII

duckroll said:
I don't think that has anything to do with appealing to the west or anything. The fact is that when designing console level RPGs even in Japan, the expectations in terms of presentation and story scenes are such that 3D isa lot more acceptable. It's also much easier to hire experienced and talented staff within the industry who are good at 3D, rather than 2D. Detailed sprite-work is mostly restricted to handhelds these days because of resolution concerns, and I don't think it will ever change.

I still think that Namco should consider such. KOFXIII and BlazBlue alike have both provided viable answers for making 2D work in a HD environment. Go for 3D backdrops and 2D sprites constructed with the help of 3D models.

I think such a thing would not only help do more to help Tales stand out from everything else on the market, but it would do a lot to help woo the older, hard-nosed fans like myself who still cling to ToD:RE - DC as the best game the series has produced in years. :lol

duckroll

miladesn said:
Why you guys think this being only on PS3 means it's only for Japan? it's not like 2007-2008 when PS3 user base was small, not to mention the audience for JRPGs most likely have a PS3 by now.

That's not what I meant though. If Namco cared about reaching as large an audience as possible outside of Japan, they would have released ToV PS3, and the next major HD Tales game would be multiplatform on PS3 and 360. Since they have no interest in doing this, it likely means the market outside of Japan no longer matters to them. If that is the case, then it means there is less chance of any Tales game being localized in future, regardless of platform.

Paracelsus

~120-150k copies is a number you can sell on whatever userbase you want. You don't need a combined multiplatform userbase of over 20 millions people to sell that little, which means you need to look at the userbase to which you can sell in both regions without losing on either front.

EDIT: This taking into account you want to go the cheap way.

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Tales games for PS3 is a good thing. Lets just hope that unnamed title is:

- 2D
- Coming to the west

If the new Tales is Team Symphonia's new game, 2d is a pipe dream.

Not that 2d really matters anymore in Tales. Graces translated the ToDr battle system to 3d pretty well. The 2d ones really have no advantage anymore.

distantmantra said:
Used copies in Japan still go for 5,000-6,000 yen.

Yeah, kind of annoying. I wouldn't mind double-dipping one of these days to try the new features, but I want the price to come down since Vesperia wasn't one of my favorite Tales.

Rpgmonkey

Paracelsus said:
~120-150k copies is a number you can sell on whatever userbase you want. You don't need a combined multiplatform userbase of over 20 millions people to sell that little, which means you need to look at the userbase to which you can sell in both regions without losing on either front.

If they aren't doing anything with the 360 anymore and they decided not to localize Graces Wii and Vesperia PS3, don't you think Bandai Namco doesn't find that to be an acceptable number (not anymore, anyway)?

I think if they saw that as acceptable and wanted to sell as much in the west as possible, a multiplatform release of this new game would have been much more likely.

Yazuka

Well I know it won't do much good. But I'm still hoping the PS3 port of Graces will get localized...
At least I'm hoping the new Tales title will make it outside Japan, but I guess it won't.

Pooya

duckroll said:
That's not what I meant though. If Namco cared about reaching as large an audience as possible outside of Japan, they would have released ToV PS3, and the next major HD Tales game would be multiplatform on PS3 and 360. Since they have no interest in doing this, it likely means the market outside of Japan no longer matters to them. If that is the case, then it means there is less chance of any Tales game being localized in future, regardless of platform.
Do they really need to release the game on 360? sales on the 360 probably going to be negligible compared to the PS3 version, when FFXIII with aggressive advertising on 360 and larger userbase can't even match PS3 numbers, for niche titles like Tales it's going to be even worse. SEGA seems to be fine with releasing Yakuza games only on PS3 for example, NIS too. I think PS3 is a viable platform for these niche games now, making them multiplat and invest even more in development will result in more sales but I don't think that extra sold copies is enough to justify the added development and publishing costs. I think even ATLUS will probably do the same, the gain isn't that high IMO. It makes sense for ultra high budget projects like Final Fantasy XIII and Versus but for these lower budget games no IMO.
And about expanding the Tales franchise outside of Japane, it's not going to happen whatever they do, JRPGs are in clear decline, nothing specific to Tales. Tales never was very popular really.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I found this at the Tales forum:

These are the characters of Tales of Graces, but apparently DEVD isn't part of the character roster at ToG Wii version I believe:
wloepj.jpg

Paracelsus

Rpgmonkey said:
If they aren't doing anything with the 360 anymore and they decided not to localize Graces Wii and Vesperia PS3, don't you think Bandai Namco doesn't find that to be an acceptable number?

I think if they saw that as acceptable and wanted to sell as much in the west as possible, I think a multiplatform release of this new game would have been much more likely.

We don't know what are they doing with the 360, they could very well announce a porting together with the western release.

Why are they not releasing the game on 360 in Japan? Basically the entire fanbase moved on PS3 and it's not they can try to port the game one year later on either platform hoping people will fall for that scam once again.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, there was also a lot of rumors about a DC with added character when Graces first came out because when the cast stands in a group there's always space for one more person :lol

Top Bottom