• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Tales games revealed in Jump

Paracelsus said:
Given the damage suffered this "round", you've gotta wonder whether there will be a next gen Tales period.

A Tales of 3DS is a given at least.
It's not exactly the kind of series that benefits from the kinds of things "next-gen" allows for. See also: 99% of JRPGs...with the 1% being debatable.

The Tales franchise is pretty market-dependent and as Namco has shown they're very averse to risks. By default this franchise is doomed in the US because there's nothing but risk involved. N/B expects to sell so many Tales games even though they come dangerously close to over-saturation. That shit wouldn't fly for a minute in the rest of the world. Sucks for us because it's the kind of franchise that depends on constant releases but whatevs.

At least PS3 Tales looks to be a sure thing for awhile. Namco will ride that horse until the wheels fall off. Maybe we'll get one of those games in the US. Then when it doesn't sell to expectations we'll be back where we started..or worse off than ever...who knows?

Unrelated - Come on guys if you're going to learn Japanese to play a handful of games at least find some unique ones. Tales of Anime Archetypes should not be at the top of your list.

hxa155

Kirashi said:
wait what? one of the hardest languages in the world? where's this lol coming from. oh, and i did it. plenty others have done the same thing also.

What's your native language? Cuz the difficulty depends, you know. I might take some classes for Japanese but I dont wanna risk bringing down my GPA.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hxa155 said:
What's your native language? Cuz the difficulty depends, you know. I might take some classes in Japanese but I dont wanna risk bringing down my GPA.
You should be fine with the first semester at least. That shit's ridiculously easy. Give it a test run to see if you'd like to pursue it if you're interested in Japanese.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
InfiniteNine said:
You should be fine with the first semester at least. That shit's ridiculously easy. Give it a test run to see if you'd like to pursue it if you're interested in Japanese.

For a native English speaker, the kind of thing you would learn in a first semester Japanese course is the kind of thing you would intrinsically know if you were trying to learn something like German, Spanish, or French.

Kana/Kanji recognition is the kind of thing that's an extra step when learning a language like Japanese. We already know the Latin alphabet, so we've already got a major foothold in pronunciation other Latin languages. We also already know the basic ideas of Latin sentence form, subject and predicate and that sort of thing. But the sentence structure of Japanese is significantly different. That's why I say it's one of the hardest languages to learn, because there's so many extra steps for somebody who's native to a Latin-based language like English.

MechaX

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Unrelated - Come on guys if you're going to learn Japanese to play a handful of games at least find some unique ones. Tales of Anime Archetypes should not be at the top of your list.

While learning an entire language for the Tales titles might be a mismatch in priorities, I can understand why some one would want to take matters into their own hands to play a series they might like in a genre they may also like. Anime Archetypes, true, but the series always has fun or unique gameplay and is usually a pretty meaty game in its own right. Moreover, JRPGs have been floundering on consoles for this entire generation, and the fact that the localizaton exclusion of a routinely good (or not) franchise is essentially assured at this point doesn't help things.

But going back to my rather jaded perspective on things, it's not like learning the language is really needed to understand what's going on in a Tales game at all. Pick up on a few buzz words and pseudoscientific terms that are bound to show up in any Tales game (fonons, blastia, mana, swordians, etc, etc) and maybe read a FAQ for a bare-bones summary here and there, and you'll be able to actually get the jist of many conversations and plot points without actually understanding what each and every person is saying.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ZealousD said:
For a native English speaker, the kind of thing you would learn in a first semester Japanese course is the kind of thing you would intrinsically know if you were trying to learn something like German, Spanish, or French.

Kana/Kanji recognition is the kind of thing that's an extra step when learning a language like Japanese. We already know the Latin alphabet, so we've already got a major foothold in pronunciation other Latin languages. We also already know the basic ideas of Latin sentence form, subject and predicate and that sort of thing. But the sentence structure of Japanese is significantly different. That's why I say it's one of the hardest languages to learn, because there's so many extra steps for somebody who's native to a Latin-based language like English.
I found it pretty simple to understand with my self teaching, but I get off on doing things that are hard to do for some reason. If only my laziness didn't hinder me after about 3-4 weeks I'd understand a lot more than I do now... oh well I still remember enough kanji and basic grammar to get by on some things. I need to stick to the schedules I make for myself. Besides it's not like you need to know a lot to get by on a JRPG, and there is always the internet and OCRs for help.

DR2K

Banned
Grimmy said:
You think it will do that number if the PS3 version comes out on the same day?
No.

I think there's a considerable amount of sales potential in a X360 release. In the east and west. Makes little to no sense that here isn't one, but then again at least Namco is being consistent with the Tales series.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Awntawn said:
Vid is recorded off Dolphin running at 720p allegedly, so I figured it would be a good sample of what to expect ;o
I don't know I'd think the models would updated a bit. It already looks pretty great, so probably not too much.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DR2K said:
I think there's a considerable amount of sales potential in a X360 release. In the east and west. Makes little to no sense that here isn't one, but then again at least Namco is being consistent with the Tales series.

You could have said the same thing reversed about the initial ToV release, heh.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
So should I wait for the PS3 version for Graces or just get the Wii one when it comes out! :p
The Wii one has been out for a while hasn't it? The PS3 version is due for winter anyways, so it'd probably be best to wait to get some more content and a better resolution.

InfiniteNine said:
The Wii one has been out for a while hasn't it? The PS3 version is due for winter anyways, so it'd probably be best to wait to get some more content and a better resolution.
Oh, I was joking, since I know they'll never localize this!

And although I would love to learn how to speak Japanese, I don't think I want to invest years of learning it just to play a few RPGs!

*sigh* Bamco, IMO, has been the most disappointing developer of this current gen. :(

Grimmy

Banned
DR2K said:

It's pretty obvious Namco has given up on the West. That leaves Japan. Porting a game to the XB360 to sell, what, 100K? That's pretty much a wasted effort.

Rpgmonkey

DR2K said:

That only makes sense if they actually want to bring any of these over though. If they've (finally) pulled the plug on Western releases, a PS3-exclusive works fine and it's hardly a nonsensical decision.

Multiplatform when they're not bringing the game over isn't a very worthwhile endeavor considering how things tend to go with multiplatform games in Japan, and the PS3 should suit their needs just fine if they're only releasing the games in Japan anyway.

Bandai Namco makes nearly every HD game that they intend to give a western release multiplatform. These games being excluded from that is probably a sign that they're not planning on doing so. :p

Grimmy said:
It's pretty obvious Namco has given up on the West. That leaves Japan. Porting a game to the XB360 to sell, what, 100K? That's pretty much a wasted effort.

Given up in the West, to focus on bringing over even more Naruto titles in the West. Excellent decision cause their good games.

Isnt it shocking to think that Naruto and DBZ brings in more sales than Tales games over here. Whats that say about us consumers and our loyalties and focus.

Emotions

This is certainly good news.... but... the future doesnt look so bright for western gamers.. i highly doubt Scamco will bother localizing these.I wish it was safe to assume the PS3 port and the new game would come over ..but it's not
Too busy with DBZ and Naruto.

Paracelsus

Grimmy said:

That is what it would sell in the West on 360, supposedly, in Japan it would be lucky to sell half that amount launching together with the PS3 version.

Also, stop saying stuff about Naruto and DBZ games, they don't cost nowhere near as much as Tales to localize.

DeVeAn

I see this as sad news because most of the Tales game released recently have not come to the USA. Just a damn tease.

jiggle

maybe it's a good thing they're giving up Tales in the west
maybe now they will actually be willing to let other companies license the games

/pipedream

matmanx1

I'd be interested to know if any third party publishing company has spoken to Namco recently regarding Tales localizations. I'm assuming that Namco's stance would be the same that it's always been but if Namco is truly giving up on Tales in the West then that might provide an opening for someone else.

At any rate I think the ToG F on the PS3 announcement is good news as it will be an easier import than the Wii version would have been. I'll still hope for an actual Namco localized and published Tales game in the US sometime in the future because I really like the series but if I have to resort to imports and guides from here on out then I will do it.

PusherT

Why didn't Nintendo step up to the plate for Tales of Graces like they did for DQ 9 and the original ToS? I know NoA can't even bring over there own games but Namco seems to to respect Nintendo of America enough to let them handle there Tales games

PusherT said:
Why didn't Nintendo step up to the plate for Tales of Graces like they did for DQ 9 and the original ToS? I know NoA can't even bring over there own games but Namco seems to to respect Nintendo of America enough to let them handle there Tales games

Maybe the sales for Symphonia 2 were so disappointing that graces wouldnt even be worth it.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Not really surprised by the port, hope it does nicely on the PS3

SlipperySlope said:
How much did Graces sell on the Wii?
Depends on the tracker:
177,925 - Famitsu (from launch till 12/27/09)
194,378 - Media Create (from launch till 01/03/10)

PusherT

Dedication Through Light said:
Maybe the sales for Symphonia 2 were so disappointing that graces wouldnt even be worth it.
Symphonia 2 a shitty spinoff outsold the mainline ToV on X360 in NA. But yeah its telling even NoA didn't want to go into partnership with Bamco. Look at the stuff NoA is doing for SE on DQ9 heck they even threw a llaunch event at the Nintendo World store in NYC and flew Yuji Horii to NYC

icecream

Public Health Threat
Paracelsus said:
Wow, you just had to read the full post and you did not.
He's not crazy though. Namco knows by now releasing both versions side by side will never end well. Nor will anyone believe into any Tales game they release for anything other than the PS3 will be the decisive version ever again, now that they've cut both the Wii and the 360 users.

If they aspire to pull off the double-dipping scheme again, this would certainly be the only way to pull it off successfully.

manzo said:
Super Robot Wars, Macross and 2 Tales games. PS3 really kicks some ass in Japan right now.

I wonder how the small 360 camp feels like after TGS? :lol
MS had their chance with this generation already, and they didn't pull it off. Being the first console out, they were able to convince many JP developers to take a chance with several franchises on them. Yet they let each title fail one by one, and now that everyone's learned their lesson, it's down to multiplatform scraps and dwindling niche exclusives until the end.

manzo said:
I'm guessing that there won't be a +50k game other than Halo Reach this year in Japan.
That's only because that's the only big exclusive they have left for the year, unless Black Ops makes it this year as well. (Of course if you are considering what's already been released, MHFO did ~100K.) Everything else is multiplatform or niche.

Next year they'll have Gears3 and IM@S2, so that's two right there.

Jigsaw

Banned
they should just release it without english voice acting,just translate the subtitles and dont expect to sell more than 30k like yakuza

or even better,put english subtitles into the asian version like in demon's souls,this was probably the best decision a developer ever did

Jeels

Second said:
I'd buy both Ps3 Tales games in they were in English. But Namco-Bandai doesn't want my money.

This is basically how I feel. My boycott since no Vesperia Ps3 is still going strong :lol

Bluth54

It's too bad Graces and this new PS3 game aren't likely to get an English localization, Tales is one of the only JRPG series I still play

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Jigsaw said:
they should just release it without english voice acting,just translate the subtitles and dont expect to sell more than 30k like yakuza

or even better,put english subtitles into the asian version like in demon's souls,this was probably the best decision a developer ever did

You know, I remember when The Right Stuf first wanted to put an anime called "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor" on DVD. Before they could promise the DVD set, they asked the fans to pre-order it, ensuring that if they met X number of pre-paid preorders, they'd release the show on DVD. I wonder why Namco couldn't try the same thing with Tales of Graces Wii or Vesperia PS3? There's obviously a very loud audience of Tales of fans that want these games. Convince them that if, say 30,000 (or whatever they need to profit even just a little) of them preorder the game in full directly from Namco, they'll print the copies for them. If they fall short of the threshold, they refund the money.

graywolf323

whee more Tales games on PS3 that will for some godforsaken reason never come to America

Second said:
I'd buy both Ps3 Tales games in they were in English. But Namco-Bandai doesn't want my money.

Jeels said:
This is basically how I feel. My boycott since no Vesperia Ps3 is still going strong :lol

it's not hard to boycott when they really don't bring anything to America I have any interest in :lol

Vrakanox

I'm still Tales loyal even after all this. I dunno, I just can't help it. That feeling of playing through an epic well written RPG with my significant other can't really be beat. The only other thing is going back and playing the old secret of mana games but that gets boring after awhile.

Einbroch

Banned
Hmm, couldn't they translate the game and release it for Wii and PS3 at the same time? A new costume and new specials aren't too much extra work. It's not like it's a whole new character requiring new voiceovers, a bunch of new content, etc. It's only a port with a few upgrades. They could basically just do a once over. FUCK, JUST GIVE ME SUBTITLES.

Bebpo

Banned
Einbroch said:
Hmm, couldn't they translate the game and release it for Wii and PS3 at the same time? A new costume and new specials aren't too much extra work. It's not like it's a whole new character requiring new voiceovers, a bunch of new content, etc. It's only a port with a few upgrades. They could basically just do a once over. FUCK, JUST GIVE ME SUBTITLES.

This is just the announcement. Over the next few months they'll reveal the rest of the additions. Good chance there will be an entirely new character and new story bits/skits.

Einbroch

Banned
Bebpo said:
This is just the announcement. Over the next few months they'll reveal the rest of the additions. Good chance there will be an entirely new character and new story bits/skits.
I hope not. That would mean even less of a chance. I'd rather have a 0.5% chance than a 0.1% chance. :(

Firestorm

Vrakanox said:
I'm still Tales loyal even after all this. I dunno, I just can't help it. That feeling of playing through an epic well written RPG with my significant other can't really be beat. The only other thing is going back and playing the old secret of mana games but that gets boring after awhile.
Yeah, Tales has its niche and those who fall in it can't really go anywhere else. I don't do them multiplayer, but I just love the battle system too much. Not to mention it's one of the few games I feel like can completely relax during. It's just familiar in every regard. I sit back, play an hour or so without even having to force myself to the next "good part". Feels even brainless, but in a good kind of way.

Sagitario

Firestorm said:
Yeah, Tales has its niche and those who fall in it can't really go anywhere else. I don't do them multiplayer, but I just love the battle system too much. Not to mention it's one of the few games I feel like can completely relax during. It's just familiar in every regard. I sit back, play an hour or so without even having to force myself to the next "good part". Feels even brainless, but in a good kind of way.

What a great way to express it! I completely agree, it just feels good to play them...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Rpgmonkey said:
Bandai Namco makes nearly every HD game that they intend to give a western release multiplatform. These games being excluded from that is probably a sign that they're not planning on doing so. :p
Yep, and its even worse when talking from the perspective of being PS3-only. Namco has only localized two PS3 only games, both of which were launch titles (and one of which was just a 360 launch title repackaged). At this point, "No 360 version = no localization" is probably a steadfast rule for most Japanese games/publishers (with the obvious exceptions of course).

Top Bottom