• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Tales games revealed in Jump

jcm

mjemirzian said:
Vesperia PS3 isn't coming over due to sales more than piracy concerns.. it's already been out on the 360. The number of people willing to double dip will be an even smaller niche of the original niche that are interested in non-final fantasy JRPGs. And Graces PS3 was just announced, so they might still announce it, assuming they can make a return on investment, or not make a larger profit putting their staff on other projects. It is a business after all.

All of the games they ported to NA have minimal translation costs compared to the novels worth of text and voice acting required for a Tales game. They certainly aren't in a position to take a big risk. Namco porting another tales game does not magically make them billions of dollars, and blaming their huge losses on not bringing Tales over is delusional when sales of Tales games are part of the problem. Translating a new tales game is a big risk with a high translation cost and niche at best sales.

http://www.talesunion.com/news/tales-studios-debt-what-it-means-for-the-series--960.html
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/516469.html

"For those who have been following the Tales news as of late, you likely already know that Namco Tales Studio is in severe debt, barely covering their short-term debts and with long term debts almost four times their current reserves."

The Tales studio can't even turn a dime in Japan, let alone NA. No wonder their games aren't going anywhere. Again Namco knows better than to bring over games that aren't even doing well in Japan. Being loud and declaring how you're entitled to an English Tales game won't make them change their mind unless there's a couple hundred thousand more of you.

That doesn't explain why they don't sell the international rights and let someone else shoulder the risk.

jcm said:
That doesn't explain why they don't sell the international rights and let someone else shoulder the risk.
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but isn't it basically because its a series they take pride in. It's their franchise.

Rpgmonkey

Varion said:
Looks like there's going to be a launch conference for the new Tales games at 2PM Japan Time today (3hrs 15 from this post) according to the Tales Studio producer's twitter.

Wonder how much new info we'll get.

Usual stuff they do at every year's conference. Talk about the direction they want to take Tales in, give a few details and screenshots of new games, hype up the game with the closest release date, present some art, producers say some stuff about the game they're involved with, and the day is over. :p

They'll definitely elaborate on the new content on ToG-F and what the F is supposed to symbolize.

It'd be nice if they have another piece of concept art for the new game since I don't expect much beyond that. Wonder if they'll jump the gun even more and say they also have something for the 3DS in the works. :lol

jcm said:
Because they want to release some games here, not all.

That complicates things when people are publishing other games in your series.

jcm

Rahxephon91 said:
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but isn't it basically because its a series they take pride in. It's their franchise.

Maybe, but if they need cash and they aren't planning their own release it might make sense. Movie studios do it all the time. They actually pre-sell international rights to fund development budgets.

ShockingAlberto said:
Because they want to release some games here, not all.

That complicates things when people are publishing other games in your series.

They wouldn't have to sell the rights to anything they wanted to keep for themselves. Vesperia PS3 has a completed game and a nearly complete localization. I'd think they could finish it for no more than a few hundred thousand dollars. That's a valuable asset.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Varion said:
Looks like there's going to be a launch conference for the new Tales games at 2PM Japan Time today (3hrs 15 from this post) according to the Tales Studio producer's twitter.

Wonder how much new info we'll get.

Haha, just came to post this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Will there be any live coverages, twitter updates, or live blogs about the conference?

Firestorm

ULTROS! said:
Will there be any live coverages, twitter updates, or live blogs about the conference?
Usually some Japanese liveblogs that can be translated if any of the Japanese Tales fans on GAF can actually stand wading through these topics after all the "WAAAAHHH NAMCO STUPID WONT TRANSLATE OUR GAME" posts.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There's another RPG for the PS3 that's not Tales of PS3 nor Tales of Graces F according to the official site (bandainamcogames.co.jp).

Aeana

Firestorm said:
Usually some Japanese liveblogs that can be translated if any of the Japanese Tales fans on GAF can actually stand wading through these topics after all the "WAAAAHHH NAMCO STUPID WONT TRANSLATE OUR GAME" posts.
Well, I'll be following it. If nobody else translates the stuff, I will.

ULTROS!

Aeana said:
Well, I'll be following it. If nobody else translates the stuff, I will.

Thank you. :D

Rpgmonkey

ULTROS! said:
There's another RPG for the PS3 that's not Tales of PS3 nor Tales of Graces F according to the official site (bandainamcogames.co.jp).

That's been there for years IIRC, best to ignore it.

ULTROS!

It's 2:00 PM in Japan now. Hope to see/hear good info about the next Tales Of.

ULTROS!

It's almost 3:00PM in Japan... No word yet?

ULTROS!

According to my Google Translator... It says that the new entry of the Tales series is a slightly dark and serious game.

Rpgmonkey

ULTROS! said:
According to my Google Translator... It says that the new entry of the Tales series is a slightly dark and serious game.

Just talking about the atmosphere given off by the artwork we've seen.

ULTROS!

And I was expecting a grittier/darker Tales game. :/

Aeana

Well, it's not surprising that there wasn't much at the event. It doesn't seem like they're ready to show the new game. I did expect a bit more info on ToGf, though.

Rpgmonkey

hteng said:
sounds like nothing much :/

The conference usually gets "better" as it goes along.

Usually the new games are introduced first, then they start going into detail. Though I'm not sure if it's over yet or not.

ULTROS! said:
And I was expecting a grittier/darker Tales game. :/

It still might!

Tailzo

ULTROS! said:
If that means grown-up main charatcers, I'm happy.

If it means "next gen brown and gray" I am not happy.

Aeana

vectorman06 said:
What was the point of this event? :lol
Formal announcements of the new games. The Jump info we got last week was a leak. The actual issue actually comes out today.

Rpgmonkey

Huh, first year this thing was uninteresting. :lol

There's usually a lot more to them.

Seems like ToPS3 might be a repeat of what they did with Graces. Say it's in development with few details, trailer at TGS (or Jump Festa), trailer included with the bonus DVD for preordering Graces, formal announcement sometime next year, release in the Summer or Winter.

Tales of Graces F
Wii's Tales of Graces, powered up for PlayStation 3. The new version includes an after-story that wasn't in the original Wii version. A release is set for Winter 2010.

"Next Tales of"
This is what Famitsu uses to refer to the new PS3 title. A number of concept images were shared at the press conference. These left the site's reporters with the impression that the new game will have a darker feel than past Tales games. Namco Bandai did not share release info.

The site promises additional details to follow.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/02/tales_games_confirmed/

ULTROS!

Interesting, so will we finally see a "Final Fantasy Versus XIII" equivalent of the Tales series (that is, going for a darker feel)?

Top Bottom