• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Tales games revealed in Jump

Would it be to difficult to add english subs and menus to the japanese version? Like an International version? Can't be this hard and expensive I guess.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Namco: We're working on US Tales Release: http://www.talesunion.com/news/namco-were-working-on-us-tales-releases--1082.html

Since the release of Tales of Vesperia on the Xbox 360, which was followed by a Japan-only release of a Director's Cut version of the game on the PS3 which appeared to have been in the works from the beginning, as well as a plethora of Japan-only titles in the series, many have wondered if the company still cared about the series in North America and Europe. Namco Bandai has just made a statement on their official Facebook page about just that.

Earlier today, after receiving numerous fan posts on their Facebook page, as well on other social media websites such as Twitter and YouTube, the latter of which was likely the cause of their comments section being disabled, the company finally responded to their fans with the following statement:

Firstly, thank you all for your excitement around the series. We also love the series here at Namco of America and are working with our Japan counterparts to determine if we'll see US releases for these games. Unfortunately, we don't currently have any plans to bring Tales of Graces to the US. If this changes, we'll let you know as soon as we can!

While the company didn't announce any releases in this statement, it does correspond with a topic on the popular gaming website GameFAQs, in which a PR representative for the company stated that the company "knew (English) Tales fans have been screwed over the years".

One can hope that this move means the company is aware of the fan base and is trying to work on bringing more titles in the series over to North America and Europe. Such methods, such as a recent post on Sony's PlayStation.Blog Share, which can be found here, have sprung up recently, so hopefully this is a sign the series, even with its financial difficulties, won't stay Japan-only in the near future.

So apparently, they're aware of the crying, moaning, and bitching of no US Tales release.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
At least there's a tiny spark of hope!

Paznos

Maybe there's still hope for Vesperia in the mean time! followed by Graces PS3 and then the new PS3 Tales game!!!!............ who am I kidding. (hope it happens)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Paznos said:
Maybe there's still hope for Vesperia in the mean time! followed by Graces PS3 and then the new PS3 Tales game!!!!............ who am I kidding. (hope it happens)

It sucks that Vesperia PS3 is still around $70 to import :/

ZoddGutts

I wonder why Namco doesn't pull a Sega/Yakuza, simply release it in the U.S. with just a sub translation and no eng dub. Yakuza 3 didn't exactly light up the charts in the NPD but because they put little money into it they still able to make enough of a profit from it to end up wanting release Yakuza 4 as well. Same goes as to why not letting other publishers end up licensing their Tales games, they would end up already making money from it being licensed so it won't matter if it bombs because they already got their money from the publisher for paying licensing rights.

ZoddGutts said:
I wonder why Namco doesn't pull a Sega/Yakuza, simply release it in the U.S. with just a sub translation and no eng dub. Yakuza 3 didn't exactly light up the charts in the NPD but because they put little money into it they still able to make enough of a profit from it to end up wanting release Yakuza 4 as well.
Likely because they plan to bring some (Team Symphonia) games over and don't want the Tales series to be "tarnished" with the association with those kinds of games.

ULTROS! said:
So apparently, they're aware of the crying, moaning, and bitching of no US Tales release.

Namco is a business that knows better than its fans. Fan bases can be loud, but they don't translate to sales. If they spent the time learning some basic Japanese instead of whining, they'd be able to play the games at a basic level. You wouldn't be able to understand the dialogue, but you'd be able to play through the game at least.

Jeels

So are they aware of fans all over the web demanding certain titles year after year after year and do they plan on delivering or is this just a vague "we know you are angry".

ULTROS!

ShockingAlberto said:
Likely because they plan to bring some (Team Symphonia) games over and don't want the Tales series to be "tarnished" with the association with those kinds of games.

Well... They did bring Tales of Legendia. So I guess they learned from that?

Paznos

mjemirzian said:
Namco is a business that knows better than its fans. Fan bases can be loud, but they don't translate to sales. If they spent the time learning some basic Japanese instead of whining, they'd be able to play the games at a basic level. You wouldn't be able to understand the dialogue, but you'd be able to play through the game at least.
People shouldn't have to learn another language to any degree just to play the games they are making, all it takes is Namco actually marketing the games do some advertising they wouldn't have to be so weary on localizing Tales games.

People don't play RPG's just to play them at the basic level, well I know I don't at least I'd like to know what's going on other than fighting my way through the game figuratively and literally, not knowing what's really going on.

Brofist

ULTROS! said:
Namco: We're working on US Tales Release: http://www.talesunion.com/news/namco-were-working-on-us-tales-releases--1082.html

2mh8lg1.jpg

Negator

Oh wow, I'm actually surprised. I'm one of the people they mentioned on the Facebook page begging them to release Graces over here. I guess if people get more vocal we might see some more Tales games?

ULTROS!

kpop100 said:
http://i29.tinypic.com/2mh8lg1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

At least I didn't quote another Andriasang article (besides the Latest Famitsu one). :P

Paznos said:
People shouldn't have to learn another language to any degree just to play the games they are making, all it takes is Namco actually marketing the games do some advertising they wouldn't have to be so weary on localizing Tales games.

People don't play RPG's just to play them at the basic level, well I know I don't at least I'd like to know what's going on other than fighting my way through the game figuratively and literally, not knowing what's really going on.

Marketing is not some magical panacea when it comes to niche products like anime RPGs. Don't delude yourself into thinking that throwing up ads is going to earn the game a significant amount of sales - again Namco knows better than you. Piracy and fan translations are also important issues that eat into domestic sales. Namco is correct in not bringing over likely unprofitable games to NA.

As for 'I shouldn't have to learn Japanese', you can think whatever you want, you still won't be playing their games in english anytime soon.

mjemirzian said:

I've done that in the past. It's not really worth it.

trejo

mjemirzian said:
Marketing is not some magical panacea when it comes to niche products like anime RPGs. Don't delude yourself into thinking that throwing up ads is going to earn the game a significant amount of sales - again Namco knows better than you. Piracy and fan translations are also important issues that eat into domestic sales. Namco is correct in not bringing over likely unprofitable games to NA.

This is the same Namco that's poising Enslaved as the next Uncharted 2, right?

Yeah, I don't think I'll be subscribing to your newsletter.

As for 'I shouldn't have to learn Japanese', you can think whatever you want, you still won't be playing their games in english anytime soon.

Sure he will. That's what fan translations are for.

I'm still very sad and upset about Vesperia PS3... I really really wanted it, and will always do.

All I can hope now is that the new Tales is as good as Vesperia and Abyss... maybe even better.

TGS2010 for the first reveled Trailer I guess.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ULTROS! said:

First of all, that link says no such thing.

Second of all, Namco of America is aware of our complaints. It sounds like to me that it's corporate HQ in Japan that doesn't give a damn. And sadly, its their wishes that matter.

mjemirzian said:
If they spent the time learning some basic Japanese instead of whining, they'd be able to play the games at a basic level. You wouldn't be able to understand the dialogue, but you'd be able to play through the game at least.

Which isn't what I want at all. The Tales series may fall into some cliches, but at the same time I really enjoy the character development that these games offer. It's a big part of the reason I play these games in the first place. In addition, I don't exactly want to have to jump through hoops modding my system in order to get the game to play either.

Rpgmonkey

Jeels said:
So are they aware of fans all over the web demanding certain titles year after year after year and do they plan on delivering or is this just a vague "we know you are angry".

Sounds like one of their email responses. :lol

Rflagg

Paznos said:
I agree everyone on GAF should go, vote and post maybe it will do some good.
I did both likely won't change a thing, but only took 30 seconds and a trying a long shot is better then trying nothing.

Paracelsus

So they are not porting Vesperia PS3 because it's a port and they are not porting Graces because it was bugged. Well, Graces PS3 is not a port at the eyes of the americans and it shouldn't be full of bugs. ._.

Well that was some impressive corporate shots to fan response. Hopefully many realize the western market is pretty much a non factor to them & won't change.

Paznos

mjemirzian said:

I'm sorry but Tales games aren't as Niche as some of the other stuff coming out of Japan and STILL getting localized and please direct me these piracy problems on the PS3 which would prevent them from bring Vesperia over or Graces PS3 for that matter, and as far as fan translations that occur years after the game isn't localize shouldn't prevent them from bring games over a year or so after they are released in Japan.

I actually took a couple of years of Japanese so I know some of it but I still would like to play the games in English and fully know what's going on.

thcsquad

I think the boat has sailed on Vesperia PS3, but I'm holding out a glimmer of hope for the unnamed Tales PS3 game. I'll have plenty of JRPGs to play, as for some reason I have not played any console RPGs this generation yet.

mjemirzian said:
This...this is a serious post?

Nearly every publisher in the world has multi language releases.

The idea that Japanese publishers should be exempt from that expectation is laughable.

mjemirzian said:
Namco is a business that knows better than its fans.

mjemirzian said:
again Namco knows better than you.

This is faulty logic.

Not saying everyone here would do a good job running Namco, but the "They're a business and thus they know better" mantra is kind of stupid. They're a business that lost $300 million last year and axed much of their localization staff, which was the proverbial stake in the heart of Vesperia PS3 and Graces localizations. Six hundred and thirty people. Now, I'm no MBA, but I'm willing to bet that even a fan could have seen that a massive and unnecessary restructuring of the company to use the Japanese headquarters as a lightning rod for decisions might not be the best plan.

And Namco Bandai apparently knows better than fans all the time?

Bandai Namco said it will also "bolster quality control in Japan" and carry on improvements into the company's Japan and U.S.-based Worldwide Studio, introduced in April 2009.

Let's take a look at that timeline, shall we?

Afro Samurai
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja 4
Klonoa
One Piece: Unlimited Cruise
Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
Tales of VS
Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2
Tales of Graces
Katamari PS3
Dead to Rights: Retribution
Mr. Driller: Drill till you Drop
Dragonball:Raging Blast

So of this list, they released Afro Samurai to middling reviews, a PS2 Naruto game, a PSP version of Tekken 6 (what was it you were saying about piracy being a limiting factor in releasing games here?), a Dead to Rights game, a Mr. Driller game, and another high-res Tenkaichi mod. Good thing they don't think like fans or they might be taking risks like their massively successful Katamari franchise, of which they have brought over every single game because of one extremely risky and rewarding localization. But hey, Dead to Rights!!!

Vesperia PS3 isn't coming over due to sales more than piracy concerns.. it's already been out on the 360. The number of people willing to double dip will be an even smaller niche of the original niche that are interested in non-final fantasy JRPGs. And Graces PS3 was just announced, so they might still announce it, assuming they can make a return on investment, or not make a larger profit putting their staff on other projects. It is a business after all.

All of the games they ported to NA have minimal translation costs compared to the novels worth of text and voice acting required for a Tales game. They certainly aren't in a position to take a big risk. Namco porting another tales game does not magically make them billions of dollars, and blaming their huge losses on not bringing Tales over is delusional when sales of Tales games are part of the problem. Translating a new tales game is a big risk with a high translation cost and niche at best sales.

http://www.talesunion.com/news/tales-studios-debt-what-it-means-for-the-series--960.html
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/516469.html

"For those who have been following the Tales news as of late, you likely already know that Namco Tales Studio is in severe debt, barely covering their short-term debts and with long term debts almost four times their current reserves."

The Tales studio can't even turn a dime in Japan, let alone NA. No wonder their games aren't going anywhere. Again Namco knows better than to bring over games that aren't even doing well in Japan. Being loud and declaring how you're entitled to an English Tales game won't make them change their mind unless there's a couple hundred thousand more of you.

Datschge

Tales Studio is not a financially independent company anymore, they are wholly owned by Bandai Namco since last year so they don't do business with the outside world to earn money and instead are totally at the mercy of their parent company regarding the money flow. That the recent balance sheet even appeared is only due to them still being incorporated despite no longer having more than one stake holder. That they are in debt points more to balance manipulation than anything else.

Varion

Looks like there's going to be a launch conference for the new Tales games at 2PM Japan Time today (3hrs 15 from this post) according to the Tales Studio producer's twitter.

Wonder how much new info we'll get.

mjemirzian said:
Vesperia PS3 isn't coming over due to sales more than piracy concerns.. it's already been out on the 360. The number of people willing to double dip will be an even smaller niche of the original niche that are interested in non-final fantasy JRPGs. And Graces PS3 was just announced, so they might still announce it, assuming they can make a return on investment, or not make a larger profit putting their staff on other projects. It is a business after all.

All of the games they ported to NA have minimal translation costs compared to the novels worth of text and voice acting required for a Tales game. They certainly aren't in a position to take a big risk. Namco porting another tales game does not magically make them billions of dollars, and blaming their huge losses on not bringing Tales over is delusional when sales of Tales games are part of the problem. Translating a new tales game is a big risk with a high translation cost and niche at best sales.

http://www.talesunion.com/news/tales-studios-debt-what-it-means-for-the-series--960.html
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/516469.html

"For those who have been following the Tales news as of late, you likely already know that Namco Tales Studio is in severe debt, barely covering their short-term debts and with long term debts almost four times their current reserves."

The Tales studio can't even turn a dime in Japan, let alone NA. No wonder their games aren't going anywhere. Again Namco knows better than to bring over games that aren't even doing well in Japan. Being loud and declaring how you're entitled to an English Tales game won't make them change their mind unless there's a couple hundred thousand more of you.
I don't recall saying once that Namco should bring over Vesperia PS3.

Top Bottom