• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie game developer Chloe Sagal attempted suicide on TwitchTV, not dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger X

I hope this gives a little food for thought to all of those "why so serious", "its ok its only on the internet" type of douchebags out there.

Is actually reasonable when you think of it. The people who aren't dying are vomiting when unconscious and then receiving medical treatment afterwards. Pretty much the only way you could guarantee suicide with pills is if you put duct tape over your mouth and lay down in a bath tub full of water.

I'm not trying to be morbid or insensitive, I'm just pointing out that this is a cry for help. Especially if you're streaming it. You are begging for someone to finally give a fuck and truly save your life... I hope she gets the help she needs whatever it may be.

There is truth in this post but it's definitely possible to off yourself quickly with pills or tablets, depends on what she had available to her at the time. Won't go into specifics ofcourse. If she has a history with AD meds a quick death is not out of the option, even though it's not very common.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can't imagine this having a happy ending. If it was a drug overdose she's probably going to survive, but what caused the attempt will remain.

She might get the help she needs though this way. Failed suicide attempts can be helpful as often times people and resources one didn't see before become available.

There's always someone out there that knows exactly what sort of pain you are going through, it's a big place we all live in.

Paranerd

Neo Member
An ugly story all around, although it's hard to discern from what's real and what's speculation with the whole IndieGoGo thing. Is there a TwitchTV admit who would be able to comment on why her account was shut down?

Frolow

Banned
There's a video out there now, it's just her sitting in the dark for 18 minutes doing nothing. Not linking it for obvious reasons though.

Amalthea

Banned
I'm being cynic here. It doesn't matter in this discussion. No matter what this person needed serious help. Not some kind of basic level "Why are people like that?"-talk.

Even if she was faking the suicide it was a cry for help. Arguing about ones existence and their life descisions instead of trusting a plea for help can be dangerous if the person in need isn't completely making everything up.

Im going to sound a bit callous here but isnt the problem here that indiegogo isnt set up for that kind of funding? Its not exactly a game... Couldnt she have set up a website with a donation page and linked to it? I sounds like to me she was already extremely depressed and was kind of looking for a trigger to commit suicide anyway. Its clear with her post on the forum mentioning the hardships of the LGBT community. What has that got to do with anything?

Edit: Wait, this was a trans trying to get funding for surgery? Not the shrapnel? Welp, im out before I get banned over this foolishness again.

Internet anonymity doesn't look so good when the by-product stares back at you from the abyss, I know. Makes you wonder the real reason people campaign so hard to keep it.

I'm going to drive off-topic here and give some reasons why:

1) In a dimension where every user of the internet has to register with a centralised database, that database will be worth a hell of a lot of advertising dollars, and subsequently details will almost certainly be sold: the prices would be too large otherwise.

2) If there's one thing that embedded Facebook comments (and indeed Facebook itself) have proven, even if your name and picture is attached to your post, assholes will still be assholes on the internet.

3) It can also be argued freedom of speech, although that's a bit too second-amendmenty for my liking.

There is truth in this post but it's definitely possible to off yourself quickly with pills or tablets, depends on what she had available to her at the time. Won't go into specifics ofcourse. If she has a history with AD meds a quick death is not out of the option, even though it's not very common.

Oh yeah I definitely know it's still possible no doubt about it. Especially if medication is mixed with other drugs and alcohol. The vast majority of people don't have the insane shit like vicodin or horse tranquillisers that really puts you in a rough way.

BrunoM

There's a video out there now, it's just her sitting in the dark for 18 minutes doing nothing. Not linking it for obvious reasons though.

:(
Hope it won't turn to be one of those videos that are used for bad motives in sites around the Internet that should no exist at all !!

Hope she's ok

Fuck I really do hope that at the moment she's in a hospital getting help and that right after they get her the help she needs mental health is something extremely fragile and important !!

And I'm sad to see that some people on gaf are heartless cold and sad excuses for human beings

1) In a dimension where every user of the internet has to register with a centralised database, that database will be worth a hell of a lot of advertising dollars, and subsequently details will almost certainly be sold: the prices would be too large otherwise.

2) If there's one thing that embedded Facebook comments (and indeed Facebook itself) have proven, even if your name and picture is attached to your post, assholes will still be assholes on the internet.

3) It can also be argued freedom of speech, although that's a bit too second-amendmenty for my liking.

And your post started off so well, too.

Yeah, worrying about the preservation of your guaranteed rights is something only those crazy right-wing violence-loving gun nuts do, huh Delusibeta? Yikes.

Jburton

Banned
Yeah I'm with you on this, unfortunately it will also open the door to a bunch of copy cats as well.

It has been done many times already, so much so 4chan have their own name for someone that does it.

Such a shame, having been to the dark places where these things can happen I can only imagine how lost, alone and without hope she must have felt.

R.I.P Lady.

sephi22

There's a video of the thing on youtube.
She's sitting in front of the camera. Its dark. Its scary. But nothing really happens.

18 minutes is a long time. I hope the authorities got to her. Even if she tried to do something after the camera shut off.

I don't know what the legalities are of linking it. There is no bodily harm in the video. If anyone wants to see it to assuage their worries/curiosity, quote this post.

If it is in bad taste, then I would appreciate if a mod lets me know so I edit my post, or if they could edit it for me.

EDIT: Same video as StevePharma

If the video going around is real, and that the end of the video is twitch shutting it down, she is likely alive. She is just sitting in a room. The pill story is completely false, as far as the video.

Going on the two posts quoted earlier in the thread from The Indie Stone and Chloe herself, some aspect of her original plea for funding was not true. So that is certainly something to comment on, especially considering her post was kind of a long, "wait for my announcement later" sort of statement instead of giving the details of what happened and why.

It seems as though she resorted to this attempt instead of clearing up what aspect of her story was a lie.

What a mess... I would have donated if she just needed reassignment surgery or a fix for a botched surgery. This didn't need to go this way. And I can't blame just her, considering the stigma around whether these surgeries are needed. They are. They fucking are.
Sure, I agree. I said there wasn't much to comment on, not that there was nothing to comment on.

We really just don't have the full facts. By her not releasing her four page story, we are left in the dark with her suicide attempt being the result. All we can say is we hope she's ok and our thoughts are with her.

And your post started off so well, too.

Yeah, worrying about the preservation of your guaranteed rights is something only those crazy right-wing violence-loving gun nuts do, huh Delusibeta? Yikes.

The train of thought was that freedom of speech does not require anonymity, much like "maintaining a well regulated militia" does not require every person to own a gun. It's also an argument that falls flat on its face outside of the USA.

If the video going around is real, and that the end of the video is twitch shutting it down, she is likely alive. She is just sitting in a room. The pill story is completely false, as far as the video.
What if she took the overdose, then started the camera?

Some youtube users uploaded a twitch video

[no suicide in this one but it seems to be from today]

The comments on that video are sickening.

The fact that someone recorded this is sickening.

I'm so infuriated now, it's not only depressing and irritating that some people on the internet can push and encourage someone to commit suicide, but we have people who watch it happen and then go ahead and joke and keep insulting said person after. Disgusting.

I think I'm going to go to bed, being so frustrated late at night probably isn't good. I really hope she didn't die from Over Dosing, and hopefully her family or anyone gives her the medical help she needs. :/

I don't know what the legalities are of linking it. There is no bodily harm in the video. If anyone wants to see it to assuage their worries/curiosity, quote this post.

If it is in bad taste, then I would appreciate if a mod lets me know so I edit my post, or if they could edit it for me.

[/EMAIL]

EDIT: Same video as StevePharma

Ha don't worry man. There are way more horrible suicide things on YT. Like the Jamestown audio or something like that. Now THAT is horrifying.

Terrell

I'm not denying any of those things, and the problem is endemic of the internet being left to be the new Wild West for FAR longer than it should have been. But a solution to the problem doesn't require that these points remain true, either.

And a solution to this problem is DESPERATELY needed.

I would like to refuse to think people are hopeless but reading you there gives me a bad intuition... Not sure if I should lol or cry.

honestly, I believe people like that are hopeless. I mean think about it for a second, These guys hide behind their user names and mock a person and may even cheer for a person to commit suicide. Look at this for example:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/11/teen-kills-self/
A 19-year-old Florida teen’s suicide broadcast Wednesday on Justin.tv was a result of an overdose of opiates and benzodiazepine, the Broward County Medical Examiner & Trauma Services Division said Friday.

The Pembroke Pines teen was pronounced dead about 6 p.m. on Wednesday, coroner spokeswoman Sherri Baker said in a telephone interview. She said benzodiazepine is used for depression and insomnia.

About 185 people were viewing the feed on the San Francisco-based live-streaming service. The teen had announced his pending suicide on a bodybuilding.com chat forum, which linked to the broadcast. He left an online suicide note. Viewers were seen egging him on.
The chat’s moderator called the authorities, Baker said, and police broke into the residence.

Justin.tv CEO Michael Seibel said in an e-mail: "We regret that this has occurred and respect the privacy of the broadcaster and his family during this time. We have policies in place to discourage the distribution of distressing content, and our community monitors the site accordingly. This content was flagged by our community, reviewed, and removed according to our terms of service."

Public suicides are common; people jump from bridges and buildings. But the phenomenon is now encroaching on to the global arena offered by the internet. A British man suffered the same fate two years ago after being goaded to hang himself while in a webcam chatroom. And the net is also a known medium for organizing suicide pacts.

While online viewers watched a police officer prodding the Florida teen to see if he was alive, their chat comments ranged from OMG to LOL.

Justin.tv is an open network of thousands of live streaming channels. The network, named after Justin Kan, its first star, has been the target of pranksters and hackers.

Soon after Justin.tv launched, viewers played a prank on Kan, calling the cops from his cellphone to report a stabbing. With guns drawn, the authorities broke into Kan’s apartment to the delight of viewers.

what's that saying about who a person is in the dark? Now, not everyone on the internet is like this but with all of the negative people on here you start to wonder.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Chloe responded to the comments on her youtube video by saying she was banned from Twich 18 minutes ago, it says. So she's still alive?
Or is the user who uploaded the video trying to be funny?

Edit: User trying to be funny.

sephi22

Chloe responded to the comments on her youtube video by saying she was banned from Twich 18 minutes ago, it says. So she's still alive?
Oh my pure innocent child.

You think that the person who uploaded her Twitch video is Chloe, rather than a 4chan'er making a joke that the reason she didn't commit suicide was because Twitch banned her and there was no one to see it.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
That was made by the uploader of the video dude.
Oh my pure innocent child.

You think that the person who uploaded her Twitch video is Chloe, rather than a 4chan'er making a joke that the reason she didn't commit suicide was because Twitch banned her and there was no one to see it.

All in bad taste, what a louche.

I wanted to believe it was her who responded though.

BrunoM

Some youtube users uploaded a twitch video

[no suicide in this one but it seems to be from today]

The video is long and I think it cuts off where twitch shutted her down I hope that the cops got there befor anything bad happen ..

And makes me so sad that some one even began to record it to start with what's wrong with some mother fucking people it makes me sick ..

At these point I'm sad and sick with my "gaming" community some of the shit some of you said is sad is cold makes some look like spineless fucks ...

Hope she's ok

I don't k ow why I pressed the link the comments in it are sad are cold are from people that would not have the guts to say shit in front of any one I wish those people so how would pay for the shit they say

The train of thought was that freedom of speech does not require anonymity, much like "maintaining a well regulated militia" does not require every person to own a gun.

Well it certainly doesn't hurt, especially in an age where impoliteness and the hurting of feelings continually provokes outcries of "Please, government, fix our problems with legislation!"

And I'm not getting into a retarded internet argument about gun rights, especially not on GAF, where any opinion not considered far left of center will invoke mob attack. Suffice it to say, your interpretation of the second amendment is erroneous according to the Supreme Court.

Thread derail over. Or at least, I'm not participating further in it.

Hope she's alive, whether she tried to scam people or not.

Indeed.

I'm not denying any of those things, and the problem is endemic of the internet being left to be the new Wild West for FAR longer than it should have been. But a solution to the problem doesn't require that these points remain true, either.

And a solution to this problem is DESPERATELY needed.

As Facebook has demonstrated, removing anonymity does nothing. Indeed, the problem isn't due to anonymity, it's due to a lack of repercussion. Short of every message passing through government approval, I don't think that there is a solution.

sephi22

And makes me so sad that some one even began to record it to start with what's wrong with some mother fucking people it makes me sick ..
Actually I'm glad that someone did record it.
1. It serves as evidence in case of investigations
2. It puts an end to rumors and speculation whether she did or did not do it. Better this than having someone say 'She put a bullet in her head on camera. RIP'

El Sloth

Banned
Chloe notes in the post that ghst linked to that she, "wrote up a 4 page paper with the full story that will be posted via an article in the next few days."

I wonder if that means she gave it to one of the news sites to publish?

I'm being cynic here. It doesn't matter in this discussion. No matter what this person needed serious help. Not some kind of basic level "Why are people like that?"-talk.

Even if she was faking the suicide it was a cry for help. Arguing about ones existence and their life descisions instead of trusting a plea for help can be dangerous if the person in need isn't completely making everything up.
Alright, I agree that this doesn't matter in this thread and the original post you was responding to is pointless for the discussion in here, but I'm still not sure what you meant at all in your original post.

Krilekk

Banned
I think people going out with a literal "fuck you, my family" have lost any respect for others and thus don't deserve it themselfs. You just don't do that.

DiscoJer

I was kind of afraid of something like this. I donated to her KS (er, IGG) knowing that it might not have been for the stated reason, but simply because something was obviously troubling her.

The internet never fails to show me why we're a terrible species. Then again, I've seen plenty of moments of great generosity. Someone on GAF for instance got me an air conditioner when I was at the point where I was pretty convinced I was going to die from my breathing issues in heat. Some people just need rescuing. She was desperate, and sometimes desperation breeds stupidity but is it really right to judge them for it?

sephi22

honestly, I believe people like that are hopeless. I mean think about it for a second, These guys hide behind their user names and mock a person and may even cheer for a person to commit suicide. Look at this for example:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/11/teen-kills-self/

what's that saying about who a person is in the dark? Now, not everyone on the internet is like this but with all of the negative people on here you start to wonder.
Upon reading up a bit more on that case, many people in the chat didn't believe he would go through with it. They were making fun of him because they thought it was just a cry for attention.

He OD'ed on pills and was breathing for hours, and they thought he was faking it. Then when he fell unconcious they realized it could be true. Also calling the cops from his cell phone, whether it was a prank call or not, was the closest thing someone could have done to stop it from happening.

I think people going out with a literal "fuck you, my family" have lost any respect for others and thus don't deserve it themselfs. You just don't do that.

According to her, she was cut off from the rest of her family when she came out as homosexual. She has been given a shite hand by the dealer of life: aforementioned expulsion from her family, her game got pirated and she got flamed when she tried to charge for it, the car crash and US health service demonstrating why they're a subject of international mockery, her successful IGG getting pulled because Reddit declared her a liar (this was before the Boston bombings, where Reddit sleuths got it horribly wrong, and presumably demoted Reddit posts to 4chan levels of reliability), subsequent harassment from people who believed aforementioned Reddit post... yeah.

This whole business is fucking depressing. I learnt the hard way that suicide isn't the answer to anything and I hope she's ok. I don't know how it is in the US but here in the UK there many many places to get the support you need.

Fucking commenters though. They never cease to make me feel disgusted to be a human being.

Neiteio

This is horrible. I hope she's OK. :(

Why's it so hard for people to make each other feel loved and accepted? I don't understand why people are cruel to each other. Our one goal on this earth should be to make life better for anything with a central nervous system. We're all born with different emotional makeups, come from different circumstances and walks of life, and we shouldn't judge people for their suffering -- we should be gentle and try to relieve it. Love and mercy. :(

Sigh. This is depressing. Not what I needed to read before going to bed. :(

Upon reading up a bit more on that case, many people in the chat didn't believe he would go through with it. They were making fun of him because they thought it was just a cry for attention.

He OD'ed on pills and was breathing for hours, and they thought he was faking it. Then when he fell unconcious they realized it could be true. Also calling the cops from his cell phone, whether it was a prank call or not, was the closest thing someone could have done to stop it from happening.

It's rude to refer to a trans person by the wrong pronoun.

edit: oh i hope you weren't talking about some other case, crap, oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom