• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie game developer Chloe Sagal attempted suicide on TwitchTV, not dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

eldoon

According to her, she was cut off from the rest of her family when she came out as homosexual. She has been given a shite hand by the dealer of life: aforementioned expulsion from her family, her game got pirated and she got flamed when she tried to charge for it, the car crash and US health service demonstrating why they're a subject of international mockery, her successful IGG getting pulled because Reddit declared her a liar (this was before the Boston bombings, where Reddit sleuths got it horribly wrong, and presumably demoted Reddit posts to 4chan levels of reliability), subsequent harassment from people who believed aforementioned Reddit post... yeah.

Chloe is the entire reason her indiegogo campaign got shut down - not reddits
she supplied more info to them and they shut it down - since her original claims of a car accident and metal being removed were fraudulent.

I hope she/he is ok and this suicide attempt kicks their live back into order to try harder and not give up

Neiteio

I can't stop thinking about this. It could be the most awful person in the world and I wouldn't want to see them kill themselves. I'd be flipping out trying to figure out who to call to intervene if I saw something like this happening. :(

Actually, that's a good question: If you see someone about to do something like this on a livestream, who do you call? Where would you even start? :(

Chloe is the entire reason her indiegogo campaign got shut down - not reddits
she supplied more info to them and they shut it down - since her original claims of a car accident and metal being removed were fraudulent.

I see some people still believe the Reddit garbage.

sephi22

Can the authorities do something in case something like this happens?
Like can you call 911 and report that someone on this twitch.tv page is about to commit suicide, or would that not be the way of action?

I see some people still believe the Reddit garbage.
I'm not ruling it out. I wouldn't if I had evidence to the contrary.

Amalthea

Banned
Alright, I agree that this doesn't matter in this thread and the original post you was responding to is pointless for the discussion in here, but I'm still not sure what you meant at all in your original post.

The overall gist I get from some comments is that a lot of people seem to need a good reason to feel compassion for others. People feel the way they do and feelings are rarely rational. Or there is a rationality that can't be seen (like genetic or developmental reasons for certain conditions like Transsexuality)

Some, like those 4chan people who even mock prank people who attempt commit suicide seem to delude themselves into thinking that no such thing could ever happen to them so they just do it in mean spirit. What reason do they have to be so cold-hearted. Tomorrow one of them could be diagnosed with cancer and a few months later that person could post a suicide note, because he couldn't handle the pain anymore, online and get mocked by his former peers.

We have to rember that anything like that can happen to everyone of us and we should handle people in need like we would want to be handled if we were in the same situation.

Neiteio

Can the authorities do something in case something like this happens?
Like can you call 911 and report that someone on this twitch.tv page is about to commit suicide, or would that not be the way of action?
That's what I'm wondering. Like if you provided the livestream's link to 911, would they be able to do anything with it to determine where the person livestreaming is located? I'm states away from this person...

sephi22

I bet your source is lying.
I'm sorry, but you can't really squash a discussion by just ignoring what the other person says, or refuting it outright.
Maybe there's more to this. Maybe not. We don't have evidence either way.
The only thing that can clear this up a bit further is if Chloe herself, or one of her friends, or someone from Indiegogo shed light on the situation.

I do not think Indiegogo would outright stop her campaign if there wasn't any genuine cause for concern.

Neiteio

Here's a thought: How about when we see someone "fail" online (or in real life), or even make a fool of themselves, don't mock them. Is that so hard? Even someone who seems to be "asking" to be mocked, we just shouldn't do it. Never attack someone's character. If they're being mean to someone, or hurting someone, or misleading people, call them out on it. But otherwise, if they tried something and fell short, or just experienced embarrassment, or are feeling down on themselves for whatever reason, don't pile on them, don't laugh from behind your computer screen, don't add to the echo chamber of negativity inside their head. You don't know what they're going through. Just extend a comforting word wishing them well, hoping they're OK, telling them not to worry, etc. But never add to their pain.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular. Just me venting my ongoing frustrations with the cruelty of man.

I don't think i can believe anything at this point. Right now, i just really hope that she is alright, and that this doesn't have the worst possible outcome.

But, there is no evidence either way. I'm curious as to how you know for sure the situation. Its fine to trust the person's story, doesn't mean its true.

eldoon

This was around a month ago before this suicide claim and the people involved at the gog forums were the main ones trying to get people to donate to the indie gogo campaign and the later ran a separate campaign giving out games for donations to chole.
they were also there after the campaign got the cash refunded explaining how they were talking to chole and how she was taking it.
why would they lie about it and lie about knowing chole in real life back then before all the shit blew up.

Nibel

I think you should take the 18min video out of the OP Wario

Feels like rubbernecking and doesn't add much to the discussion I think..

Zukuu

Banned
I hope it becomes clear sooner than later what (hopefully didn't) really happened.

I fast clicked through he video, it really shows nothing but seeing her sit in front of her pc idling around (and yes she moves), so there is hoping this got interrupted by the police shortly afterwards.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
She was also playing with a retractable knife in that video.

I think you should take the 18min video out of the OP Wario

Feels like rubbernecking and doesn't add much to the discussion I think..

Yeah I can understand, better to remove the video and not give more attention to the fact it exists, it adds nothing.

Sorry for posting it directly, wasn't really adding much.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope she's okay, but lying about her situation in order to score some quick cash is awful behaviour that'll follow her around forever, so for her sake I also hope it's not true.

I do not think Indiegogo would outright stop her campaign if there wasn't any genuine cause for concern.

I feel that if Chloe admitting to IGG what the fund was actually for was indeed the reason for it being taken down, IGG's statement would be a little different and not just a fluff piece applauding its "algorithms", but then I'm not overly familiar with how IGG responds to media inquiries.

pelican

Here's a thought: How about when we see someone "fail" online (or in real life), or even make a fool of themselves, don't mock them. Is that so hard? Even someone who seems to be "asking" to be mocked, we just shouldn't do it. Never attack someone's character. If they're being mean to someone, or hurting someone, or misleading people, call them out on it. But otherwise, if they tried something and fell short, or just experienced embarrassment, or are feeling down on themselves for whatever reason, don't pile on them, don't laugh from behind your computer screen, don't add to the echo chamber of negativity inside their head. You don't know what they're going through. Just extend a comforting word wishing them well, hoping they're OK, telling them not to worry, etc. But never add to their pain.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular. Just me venting my ongoing frustrations with the cruelty of man.

This is the attitude of people who have yet to experience a fall. I would go out on a limb and guess that the majority of people acting like this online are young, immature inexperienced in life and living protected in their parents home. I think it is pretty to safe no matter how successful in adult life we all have dark times e.g. work issues, relationship problems, health problems troubling financial problems etc. It is impossible to get through life without shit happening at some point. While we all joke around and might be cutting online with silly matters e.g. which console is better, it is important to be respectful to those with issues with the big and important things in life.

This news if correct is a shame. I've had a friend kill themselves. Not a nice at all.

gutabo

This is the attitude of people who have yet to experience a fall. I would go out on a limb and guess that the majority of people acting like this online are young, immature inexperienced in life and living protected in their parents home. I think it is pretty to safe no matter how successful in adult life we all have dark times e.g. work issues, relationship problems, health problems troubling financial problems etc. It is impossible to get through life without shit happening at some point. While we all joke around and might be cutting online with silly matters e.g. which console is better, it is important to be respectful to those with issues with the big and important things in life.

This news if correct is a shame. I've had a friend kill themselves. Not a nice at all.

This all the way.

Korezo

I read everything, finding out he was transgender was huge. A lot of the people's comments of scam are valid. A lot of transgenders would do anything for surgery, just read about all the transgender people in prisons. They want to all commit suicide if they don't get thier stuff.

Sad if he really needed surgery for his health.

GamerSoul

This is incredibly sad to hear :( it sucks that even when she looked for help they didnt really even understand or try to understand her. Sigh...damn.

sephi22

it sucks that even when she looked for help they didnt really even understand or try to understand her. Sigh...damn.
Umm.. actually some people tried, but she hasn't been forthcoming.
She tried to make it as hard for herself as possible. Or maybe not. I don't know what her situation was. She wouldn't tell. I shouldn't judge.

But yeah, the forum posts are out there. People asked and she was uncooperative regarding her situation.

Kelthink

I read everything, finding out he was transgender was huge. A lot of the people's comments of scam are valid. A lot of transgenders would do anything for surgery, just read about all the transgender people in prisons. They want to all commit suicide if they don't get thier stuff.

Sad if he really needed surgery for his health.

Who is he? And what are you talking about?

td_rules

Neo Member
I was a little annoyed when it transpired that she may have been fooling people. I have a very strong belief that the conspiracy of deception is a large factor in slowing the growth of crowdfunding.

However, she was clearly unstable and in dire need of help. Yet people chose to see it as malicious intent to defraud, when it was clearly an act of desperation.

SHARKvince

Neo Member
She's alive and at the hospital. Not sure if I'm going to post more details but that's all I have for now, not sure if she even wants me to share that on here, but it sounds like things have gotten a bit serious... but she's okay right now.

She's alive and at the hospital. Not sure if I'm going to post more details but that's all I have for now, not sure if she even wants me to share that on here, but it sounds like things have gotten a bit serious... but she's okay right now.

Thankfully if true.

Reiko

Banned

THANK YOU.

I feel relieved.

El Sloth

Banned
Thank goodness. This is great to hear if true.

Thanks for the update.

DiscoJer

Can I have $500

Well, I only donated $5, but to me it seemed like a better cause than something buying some guy a Vita with a capture kit (some guy's IGG in the Vita thread here.)

And that's very good to hear.

Poor thing...I hope she's alive and does well. Hopefully that shrapnel can somehow be removed (I know money was an issue...), but somehow. She seems to have really taken a beating for a while. Hope she lives and feels better. : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom