• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Cat Party

PVP in this game is so stupid and broken and I love it. Weapons that reach far beyond their assets would suggest, weapon arts that track you even when you're behind the enemy, netcode that makes you feel like you're on dial up. It's such a mess but it's still fun, especially because of the community's silly rules and customs.

I guess they changed poise at some point because everyone is two handing now. I'm finally getting some wins now that I figured out how to cheese. 20 shackles to go, though.

Weiss

Banned
Fuck this game.

It's been nothing but a tedious fucking grind. Sorcery is completely worthless. The story is pathetic even by Dark Souls standards.

I'm about to snap the fucking disk over the Twin Princes. This fight is such fucking bullshit.

gogosox82

Finally got back to the game after taking a long break. Wanted to try out Vordt's Great Hammer and this thing is pretty damn strong. You need 20 str to two hand but man it hits pretty hard and stacks frostbite in like 2 or 3 hits. Also stunlocks like a beast. I couldn't believe it when I stunlocked Sulyvann twice in the same fight. Just crazy.

Fuck this game.

It's been nothing but a tedious fucking grind. Sorcery is completely worthless. The story is pathetic even by Dark Souls standards.

I'm about to snap the fucking disk over the Twin Princes. This fight is such fucking bullshit.

Just take a break man and come back to it tomorrow.

Try watching a video on youtube to see how other people do the fight. I've found videos like LobosJr's fist only fights really helpful because they go on for longer than normal and you get to recognise patterns and how to deal with each move a lot easier than in the fight yourself because you can just watch and don't have adrenaline pumping or make mistakes because of frustration.

I assume it's the second half of the fight you are having trouble with? I find in Twin Princes (actually in DS3 in general) you have to really not be greedy. Stick close to them and roll into them for each move, only attack when you're certain you can and don't get greedy.

Good luck!

neoemonk

I've never really done PVP so I decided to start invading this weekend. I am really awful at this! It can be hard to deal with lag and multiple opponents but sometimes I just get steamrolled. This is harder than I thought it would be.

Any tips for Soul of Cinder? I can do his first phase okay but his second phase is wrecking me.

I'm a dual-handed Katana/Chaos Blade melee build.

Cat Party

Any tips for Soul of Cinder? I can do his first phase okay but his second phase is wrecking me.

He has a huge lead in for the wombo combo. He shows you the lead in right when the second phase starts. Whenever he gets ready, run the other way.

Trakan

Fuck this game.

I think DS3 is the weakest of the series, but Twin Princes is one of the few truly great boss fights in the game.

gogosox82

I've never really done PVP so I decided to start invading this weekend. I am really awful at this! It can be hard to deal with lag and multiple opponents but sometimes I just get steamrolled. This is harder than I thought it would be.

Invading is not good time in DS3. You would be better off just dueling unless you like 3v1's.

You gotta watch his tells. If you can avoid that big 4 hit combo he has consistently, you should be able to dodge the rest of his rest. The 4 hit combo and the magic have pretty big tells so if you can figure out one, you'll figure out the other down too.

I can't do it. I can't fucking do it.

This fight is fucking indefensible garbage.

I think there are fights that are a lot worse than Twin Princes but I guess its depends on your build and your playstyle. I've found that his aggressiveness (a lot of times he will tp into me which usually gave me better positioning) usually worked in my favor but I do melee builds with no shields (maybe grass crest if I have the equip load for it). What is your build?

Pixieking

Banned
I can't do it. I can't fucking do it.

This fight is fucking indefensible garbage.

It means grinding, but the great thing about the SoulsBorne games is that you can just leave a boss for awhile, kill a ton of monsters, level up, and then try a boss again. It's frustrating as hell when you hit that barrier, but TP is not a garbage fight like, say, Bed of Chaos in DS1 - a fight where luck plays as much of a role as skill, and it doesn't matter what level you are.

Nando13

Finally beat Midir (solo, NG). First five tries were horrible, but once I learned his moves, the battle becomes really fun. However I took me like 10 more tries to beat him. I also beat Nameless King in fewer attempts, but the fight was boring as f***.

Fuck this game.

Whoa there. Sorcery is awesome, it's super OP. Though I admit it takes some time to get to that point.

NinjaBoiX

Lothric Castle is cool as hell! Great art design and a wonderful atmosphere. I've been playing for nearly 40 hours now and still feel like I have plenty left to see, all the DLC and a load of hidden areas I haven't unlocked yet. (Where do I use the dragon pose to go to the Aerie?)

Not really sure where to go with levelling now though, hit 40 dex (which I understand is the soft cap) I have plenty of health (level 22) and more endurance than I really need (level 38).

I guess just better damage reduction/equip load?

Have my Uchi at 8 now and my Pharis still at 7, haven't levelled my shield in a while but I don't feel like I really need to to be honest.

Basically I feel like I could use some guidance at this point, I don't really want to do the Ashes DLC because it's doing my nut in, I don't know where to access the Ringed City and I don't know where to fight the final boss or really where else to head after finishing up Lothric Castle...

Cat Party

Lothric Castle is cool as hell! Great art design and a wonderful atmosphere. I've been playing for nearly 40 hours now and still feel like I have plenty left to see, all the DLC and a load of hidden areas I haven't unlocked yet. (Where do I use the dragon pose to go to the Aerie?)

Not really sure where to go with levelling now though, hit 40 dex (which I understand is the soft cap) I have plenty of health (level 22) and more endurance than I really need (level 38).

I guess just better damage reduction/equip load?

Have my Uchi at 8 now and my Pharis still at 7, haven't levelled my shield in a while but I don't feel like I really need to to be honest.

Basically I feel like I could use some guidance at this point, I don't really want to do the Ashes DLC because it's doing my nut in, I don't know where to access the Ringed City and I don't know where to fight the final boss or really where else to head after finishing up Lothric Castle...
In Irithyll Dungeon, there's an outside area near one of the shortcut elevators with a bunch of corpses doing the path of the Dragon pose. Join them.

After Lothric Castle, you continue through the Grand Archives and then fight the final Lord of Cinder. After that, you go back to Firelink to enable the final boss.

NinjaBoiX

In Irithyll Dungeon, there's an outside area near one of the shortcut elevators with a bunch of corpses doing the path of the Dragon pose. Join them.

After Lothric Castle, you continue through the Grand Archives and then fight the final Lord of Cinder. After that, you go back to Firelink to enable the final boss.
Ah ok, so I'm on the right path to head towards the end, cheers. And it's my understanding that the game doesn't end when you kill the last boss? So I could continue with all the other stuff without going straight into NG?

Also, is the area you're referring to the path to Profaned Capital? Where you fight your first gargoyle? I just went back there and there was nobody around...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also, is the area you're referring to the path to Profaned Capital? Where you fight your first gargoyle? I just went back there and there was nobody around...
Nah. It's the area between the elevator shortcut and the jailers congregation:

dark-soul-3-wiki-archdragon-peak-1.jpg

Cat Party

Ah ok, so I'm on the right path to head towards the end, cheers. And it's my understanding that the game doesn't end when you kill the last boss? So I could continue with all the other stuff without going straight into NG?
Correct. You can start NG+ any time you want after beating the final boss.

B D Joe

I've tried farming the skeletons for shackles without success as only need Warmth for the trophy plus im a pyromancer as main class

Anybody on PS4 wanna buddy up and take turns getting shackles, i know it's a cheese but i much prefer being a friendly summon than an invader too so figure this is the best way

If you wanna team up message me your PSN ID and i'll add you later when im on :)

Cat Party

I've tried farming the skeletons for shackles without success as only need Warmth for the trophy plus im a pyromancer as main class

Anybody on PS4 wanna buddy up and take turns getting shackles, i know it's a cheese but i much prefer being a friendly summon than an invader too so figure this is the best way

If you wanna team up message me your PSN ID and i'll add you later when im on :)
I was in your position last week and ended up getting my shackles from pvp. Just drop a red soapstone sign outside the pontiff bonfire and you'll get summoned constantly.

I'm on Xbox or I'd offer to help.

The Hobo

I completed Sirris' questline, so am I free to join Rosaria's covenant now? I've heard it glitches sometimes, with Sirris opting to leave and become an enemy.

Sande

I wish From didn't shy away from impactful effects on equipment. Take Flynn's Ring. Cool item for glass cannon builds on paper but in reality it's pretty much useless because From didn't want it to actually do a damn thing for some reason (it's like max 15% dmg if your're naked... wooow). Then there's Pontiff's Right Eye that should be perfect for daggers and other fast weapons... but nope.

The really bizarre part is that many of the boring vanilla rings like Ring of Favor, Havel's Ring and Ring of Steel Protection (not to even mention the +X versions) are actually pretty good so it's not like From is completely against rings that matter. It's only when the effect of the ring is actually interesting and could affect your play style in meaningful ways when they slam the brakes.

NinjaBoiX

I wish From didn't shy away from impactful effects on equipment. Take Flynn's Ring. Cool item for glass cannon builds on paper but in reality it's pretty much useless because From didn't want it to actually do a damn thing for some reason (it's like max 15% dmg if your're naked... wooow). Then there's Pontiff's Right Eye that should be perfect for daggers and other fast weapons... but nope.

The really bizarre part is that many of the boring vanilla rings like Ring of Favor, Havel's Ring and Ring of Steel Protection (not to even mention the +X versions) are actually pretty good so it's not like From is completely against rings that matter. It's only when the effect of the ring is actually interesting and could affect your play style in meaningful ways when they slam the brakes.
Woah, hang on, it doesn't even really do anything? I figured as a dex build slashing 6 to 7 times a combo this would be the ideal ring for my build. I've got to be honest, I can't say I've managed to track and accurately measure the numbers that pop out of enemies heads but what, it's next to useless?

My whole life (or at least the last 20 hours of this game) are a lie...

Cat Party

I completed Sirris' questline, so am I free to join Rosaria's covenant now? I've heard it glitches sometimes, with Sirris opting to leave and become an enemy.
Yes. It's not a glitch though. Her quest line fails if you offer even 1 pale tongue to rosaria, because they are sworn enemies.

Sande

Woah, hang on, it doesn't even really do anything? I figured as a dex build slashing 6 to 7 times a combo this would be the ideal ring for my build. I've got to be honest, I can't say I've managed to track and accurately measure the numbers that pop out of enemies heads but what, it's next to useless?

My whole life (or at least the last 20 hours of this game) are a lie...
It boosts your damage a bit after a lot of attacks (I think 7.5% after 4 or 5 attacks, up to 15% after maybe 15 attacks?). Almost any enemy is dead or surely about to retaliate by the time you reach 10%. Not worth it imo when, like I said, many of the unconditionally useful rings are always about as good as these kinds of rings are at their best. Lloyd's Sword Ring is more or less a straight-up (and boring) upgrade of Pontiff's Right Eye in most situations and with most weapons.

NinjaBoiX

It boosts your damage a bit after a lot of attacks (I think 7.5% after 4 or 5 attacks, up to 15% after maybe 15 attacks?). Almost any enemy is dead or surely about to retaliate by the time you reach 10%. Not worth it imo when, like I said, many of the unconditionally useful rings are always about as good as these kinds of rings are at their best. Lloyd's Sword Ring is more or less a straight-up (and boring) upgrade of Pontiff's Right Eye in most situations and with most weapons.
I use both, dual wielding a +8 Uchi wrecks fools.

Sande

I use both, dual wielding a +8 Uchi wrecks fools.
Yeah, I mean it gives you a pretty decent boost if you're already going for that kind of play style. But it's nothing exciting, nothing to really build your character around. I think having items that do that would be amazing for the build diversity and replayability of these games.

B D Joe

I was in your position last week and ended up getting my shackles from pvp. Just drop a red soapstone sign outside the pontiff bonfire and you'll get summoned constantly.

I'm on Xbox or I'd offer to help.

thanks, i'm halfway there now. Ended up having more success just invading and hoping it wasn't me against 3 havel wearing beasts (this seems to be the norm) - I mean seriously PvP is sooo boring in this game if you're a magic user. The amount of times you getting beating to a pulp by heavily armoured / biggest weapon wielding players is ridiculous as there seems to be no variety in the way people play it. Luckily coop and PvE make up for it by being amazing otherwise i would have given up on these covenant items long ago.

Daante

Started a ng+ run like 1-2 months ago, and beat the two DLC :s (including Midir) for the first time like 2 weeks ago. Had a str/dex/faith build that I played with mostly light heavy weapons, except a few times where I took out the Black Knight Greatsword +5 and did some mayhem :)

Having thought a bit about what I think of the game with the DLC:s included i give it 9/10. I don't think I will revisit the game, start a ng++ run or roll a new character in the future. I feel kinda done now with the Souls games, unless a Demon Souls remaster becomes a reality or when you can run it through the ps3-pc emulator with more enhanced graphic options.

Thanks FROM for making three great Dark Souls games <3

Legend.

NinjaBoiX

Sorry guys, I need some help again.

So I'm back at Firelink ready to make my way to the final boss, I have placed all the cinder lord thingys and spoken to the fire keeper but I'm not sure where I need to go next!

Soulblighterr

Neo Member
Sorry guys, I need some help again.

So I'm back at Firelink ready to make my way to the final boss, I have placed all the cinder lord thingys and spoken to the fire keeper but I'm not sure where I need to go next!

I think you need to interact with the bonfire, if that is what you are asking. After that should be self-explanatory.

NinjaBoiX

I think you need to interact with the bonfire, if that is what you are asking. After that should be self-explanatory.
Yeah, I just triggered the cut scene accidentally by trying to head back to the archives!

Cheers anyway.

Edit: "Oh wow, I'm going to beat him first try?

Oh, he does that."

:|

Edit 2: haha, second try with two summons's, maimed him!

NinjaBoiX

That's fine. Just don't act surprised when the boss goes down with barely a struggle ;)
I wasn't at all surprised, we basically bullied him! It was pretty funny.

But yeah, he looked like an annoying boss from my first attempt "I've got all the move sets in the game, poise up the wazoo and I hit like a train. I've also got two life bars because Souls." so I thought I'd save myself the headache.

I actually really liked the Ancient Wyvern fight, an unsual one for Dark Souls! It was like a set piece, loved it.

Kieli

Finally beat Midir (solo, NG). First five tries were horrible, but once I learned his moves, the battle becomes really fun. However I took me like 10 more tries to beat him. I also beat Nameless King in fewer attempts, but the fight was boring as f***.

At first, I thought Midir was really shitty with his huge hitboxes and erratic patterns. But after fighting him repeatedly, I realised it was very predictable and the battle did indeed become fun.

With practice, I could consistently get him down to low health. The only thing that kills me typically are the lasers which I can't consistently dodge.

Sande

I wasn't at all surprised, we basically bullied him! It was pretty funny.

But yeah, he looked like an annoying boss from my first attempt "I've got all the move sets in the game, poise up the wazoo and I hit like a train. I've also got two life bars because Souls." so I thought I'd save myself the headache.
People enjoy these games for different reasons, but I couldn't imagine essentially skipping one of the better bosses of the game (and the series). To each his own I guess.

People complain about multiple health bars but I think they're fine as long as they're not overused and make sense in the fight. Soul of Cinder
(changing from an amalgamation of past chosen undead to Gwyn)
was an amazing use of multiple health bars imo. The fight was also clearly balanced around both forms. Either stage alone would be way too easy for the final boss and even together they're definitely manageable, maybe even a bit too easy tbh.

NinjaBoiX

Meh, I fought him once, was a bit cheesed that he just kept switching movesets and that was before he just went "yeah, I've actually got another health bar".

Nah mate, fuck off, gonna gank you and I don't even care. I enjoyed it, like a middle finger to the designers that they offered me the opportunity to cheese a cheesy boss. Fight fire with fire and all that.

For what it's worth, my favourite bosses from the whole series are Artorias and Manus, defeated both solo and enjoyed every minute.

People enjoy these games for different reasons, but I couldn't imagine essentially skipping one of the better bosses of the game (and the series). To each his own I guess.

People complain about multiple health bars but I think they're fine as long as they're not overused and make sense in the fight. Soul of Cinder
(changing from an amalgamation of past chosen undead to Gwyn)
was an amazing use of multiple health bars imo.
The fight was also clearly balanced around both forms. Either stage alone would be way too easy for the final boss and even together they're definitely manageable, maybe even a bit too easy tbh.
I don't know what any of this means but to me it was just "oh look, he's not dead yet", I thought it was lame and he didn't even seem like a very fun boss fight anyway.

"We didn't really decide on a specific boss so just fight a load of different move sets with shit loads of damage." OK, yay...

Manus and Artorias were amazing bosses, cinderbro kind of seemed placeholder to be quite honest.

Top Bottom