• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Parmenide

So I'm rolling a Faith build and almost every miracle I find is pretty bad (WoG being the first decent damage wise), are the ones in the DLCs good?

So I'm rolling a Faith build and almost every miracle I find is pretty bad (WoG being the first decent damage wise), are the ones in the DLCs good?

The lightning arrow is decent (I might have the name wrong). Of course great lightning spear and sunlight spear as well. But miracle is more about support than dps. Tears off denial will save you more often than some more dps. Earl is the game cleanse (and heck even the small heals when you have only a few estus) are a godsend.

If you can get faith jacked up lightning blade is pretty great... that + sunlight straight sword carried me through end game and both dlc. (45 faith).

Faith seems (to me) more about a d&d style cleric or paladin. Good armor good shield and some magic to help you out of tight spots. I'm sure you could play it as a pure caster, but it won't be as smooth as a sorcery or pyromancer. Imo the offensive spells just gobble up too much fp for too little damage in return.

NinjaBoiX

I killed
Pontiff
on my third try (with two summons), basically stood there spamming arrows at him, haha.

Then I stepped out into
Anor Londo
and immediately got invaded. I killed them just fine but urgh, I hate that. I really don't like the menchanic of someone randomly jumping into your single player game for an impromptu face off without your prior consent, it feels invasive.

I think I'll play offline for now.

(My sharp Uchi+6 with my dex at 40 is doing nearly 400 damage now...)

NinjaBoiX

OK, poor choice of words to describe an "invader" but you know what I mean, it's like an unwelcome outside influence messing with your game to me. If I want to fight PvP it should be a choice not put upon me.

The first few times it happened I just opened the dashboard and disabled the internet as that is the only way out of it...bad design IMO. The only other choice is to play offline which disables the messages, boo!

(There is probably some obscure item or covenant you can join to disable it but I choose to ignore a lot of the extraneous aspects of the game to not over complicate it. There is a lot of stuff to learn at the best of times!)

Cat Party

OK, poor choice of words to describe an "invader" but you know what I mean, it's like an unwelcome outside influence messing with your game to me. If I want to fight PvP it should be a choice not put upon me.

The first few times it happened I just opened the dashboard and disabled the internet as that is the only way out of it...bad design IMO. The only other choice is to play offline which disables the messages, boo!

(There is probably some obscure item or covenant you can join to disable it but I choose to ignore a lot of the extraneous aspects of the game to not over complicate it. There is a lot of stuff to learn at the best of times!)
You only get invaded when you're embered (as far as I know).

Wear the Way of the Blue and you'll get friendly phantoms summoned to help you.

NinjaBoiX

You only get invaded when you're embered (as far as I know).

Wear the Way of the Blue and you'll get friendly phantoms summoned to help you.
Yeah, you only get invaded when embered.

Not sure what Way of the Blue is, if it's a covenant then I wouldn't know because I don't bother with them.
If you want the convenience of co-op partners then you have to deal with invaders. It was designed this way for a reason.
I only ever want a co-op partner for bosses, so I just pop an ember outside the fog gate, then shut off the internet if I get invaded afterwards.

Everything in life is generally "designed for a reason", doesn't mean it's a good reason.

NinjaBoiX

I get why they exist, I just personally don't like them. You're just mooching along enjoying your adventure then some laggy, dodgy hit box, cheesy PvP enemy is thrust upon you without warning.

Like, as soon as it pops up I just shut off the internet and start up again in offline mode. Once I've inevitably lost my ember I'll turn the internet back on.

Nice design there guys...

Van Bur3n

I get why they exist, I just personally don't like them. You're just mooching along enjoying your adventure then some laggy, dodgy hit box, cheesy PvP enemy is thrust upon you without warning.

Like, as soon as it pops up I just shut off the internet and start up again in offline mode. Once I've inevitably lost my ember I'll turn the internet back on.

Man, what a killjoy.

NinjaBoiX

People who DC upon invasions make me laugh. Just fight, ya coward lol. Or play offline to begin with.
They're invariably a crapshoot of dodgy connections and laggy collision detection. That's why I don't bother with them.

And playing offline denies you access to the player messages which is a big part of the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Seems fair. You're on your own, or you have help from messages and other players but are open to hostiles as well.

Lag is always a pain, but that's a separate problem from the concept of invasions.

Trakan

I thought this way at one time, but I eventually embraced and really enjoyed it. Most people who do random invasions are bad. It's free souls and doesn't take up too much of your time.

I'd recommend not reading messages on your first playthrough. They've gotten so specific that it flat out spoils exactly what you're supposed to do in a lot of situations.

NinjaBoiX

I suppose the balance of getting help from players and getting invaded is a fairly well judged mechanic I just don't enjoy it.

It might be alright if the net code was better but it's woeful.
I thought this way at one time, but I eventually embraced and really enjoyed it. Most people who do random invasions are bad. It's free souls and doesn't take up too much of your time.

I'd recommend not reading messages on your first playthrough. They've gotten so specific that it flat out spoils exactly what you're supposed to do in a lot of situations.
That's exactly how I like to play these games, if I'm in the least bit lost I'll just ask for help. I actually enjoy gleaning information from others to help myself through the experience.

Fuck fumbling around for hours on end hoping to stumble upon the solution, the game is too opaque for that for my tastes.

Trakan

I suppose the balance of getting help from players and getting invaded is a fairly well judged mechanic I just don't enjoy it.

It might be alright if the net code was better but it's woeful.

That's exactly how I like to play these games, if I'm in the least bit lost I'll just ask for help. I actually enjoy gleaning information from others to help myself through the experience.

Fuck fumbling around for hours on end hoping to stumble upon the solution, the game is too opaque for that for my tastes.

Fair enough, though there's a difference between trying to find the solution like you did and asking here vs a message flat out telling you before you can even figure it out.

daninthemix

Am about to play this again after a year away (PVE only). Are straight swords still undisputedly the way to go, or have there been significant balance changes?

Trakan

Am about to play this again after a year away (PVE only). Are straight swords still undisputedly the way to go, or have there been significant balance changes?

Their AR was nerfed a bit but they're still top tier. Really with PVE though you're fine with most weapons.

daninthemix

Their AR was nerfed a bit but they're still top tier. Really with PVE though you're fine with most weapons.

So it used to be:

- start with Raw Astora's for a good long while
- switch to Anri's SS or maybe Carthus Curved

Have any of those been majorly nerfed? I also saw a video that said Vordts Hammer is really good now.

So it used to be:

Have any of those been majorly nerfed? I also saw a video that said Vordts Hammer is really good now.

Vordts was good but I tore that game up with a greataxe farmed from high wall. Just took a lot of kills to get it to drop ;)

I did an asotra raw run as well. No problems it works great. But post nerf raw longsword is better and takes no faith. Only downside is if you want it from th start either be a knight or farm it from hollows with a low drop. Id say astora only ran out of steam at profane capital. I don't think it's worth it to take to +7 or higher get something better instead. But prior to that its still great.

Trakan

So it used to be:

All three have received specific nerfs. They're all still good. Vordt's got buffed, it's good. You really can use most anything you want in PVE, honestly.

NinjaBoiX

So I just killed the dude in
O&S's boss room
, pretty fun fight and not too difficult, took about 4 tries, but now I really don't know where to go.

(I actually died exactly as I killed him, the cut scene played then I died immediately as it came back into gameplay, lol)

I feel like
Anor Londo
is exhausted now so what do I do next?

I'm pretty much at the end right?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I just killed the dude in
O&S's boss room
, pretty fun fight and not too difficult, took about 4 tries, but now I really don't know where to go.

(I actually died exactly as I killed him, the cut scene played then I died immediately as it came back into gameplay, lol)

I feel like
Anor Londo
is exhausted now so what do I do next?

I'm pretty much at the end right?

Did you visit the Irithyll Dungeon yet?

You've already killed Yhorm haven't you NinjaBoiX?

If you've done Abyss Watchers, Aldrich and Yhorm - you should automatically be transported to where to go next. Unless I'm forgetting something?

NinjaBoiX

Did you visit the Irithyll Dungeon yet?
Yeah, I did Irithyll dungeon and Profaned Capital.
You've already killed Yhorm haven't you NinjaBoiX?

If you've done Abyss Watchers, Aldrich and Yhorm - you should automatically be transported to where to go next. Unless I'm forgetting something?
I've killed all these bossses. I got a cut scene about taking care of prince something or other, then landed back at Anor Londo. Went up the O&S lift to were Gywendollin or whatever she's called (the bird with the tits) was in DS1, got an item, now I don't know what to do.

I hope me dying upon killing Aldrich didn't mess up my progress...

You need to go back to Emma, the old woman in the chair at High Wall of Lothric and interact with the statue behind her. Warp to Vordt's boss room is the closest bonfire.

Alright SoulsGAF, just defeated Yhorm, now level 60, 50,000 souls to spare. Any weapon advice? The +6 or whatever Heavy Greatsword is still serving me really well. Eyeing up Yhorm's Greatshield for the ultimate Strength build, but not sure... Also I got Smough's hammer from... somewhere?! Can't even remember where, as I've not done Anor Londo yet...? Anyway, might transition to that. Thoughts?

Also I realise I'm sorta ploughing through this game now - as in, I'm missing a fuck tonne of side quests it seems. I wanted to follow Siegward's line, but I'm just having a blast exploring and killing enemies and bosses. I'm not missing out too much am I?

Übermatik;245587866 said:
Also I realise I'm sorta ploughing through this game now - as in, I'm missing a fuck tonne of side quests it seems. I wanted to follow Siegward's line, but I'm just having a blast exploring and killing enemies and bosses. I'm not missing out too much am I?
I think it's difficult to do all the NPC questlines in Souls games on your first playthrough unless you are reading a FAQ, some of them are just too hidden or time-sensitive and such - you never really miss anything major other than completist stuff like NPC armour sets, weapons, spells etc. I would leave it for NG+, another playthrough or something - I think playing through without huge spoilers is more fun than getting every last little piece of dialogue or loot available. You only get one first playthrough of a Souls game! :)

NinjaBoiX

I feel like I lose a certain part of the experience ignoring side quests in Souls games (I've never done them) in terms of loot and lore but I usually just find a few weapons I vibe off (invariably the boss soul weapons are strength orientated, something I heard was fixed in this game but apparently not, it's always great this or heavy that, I'm a dex build you fucks!) so I just pop them for souls.

And I don't care for the lore regardless, even the main path generally bores me to tears with the "ashen ones this and unkindled flame that", zzzz....

I just pick some gear that suits my build, whack some monsters over the head and enjoy the scenery. Works for me!

(I feel like I'm almost done with the main quest, still on Dancer but I get the feeling it's endgame time.)

Parmenide

Is the Yuria katana better than Uchigatana? Currently running my last build (DEX) just to try some cool weapons as Friede's Scythe and Midir's Katana. What's the best weapon I can get know (Cathedral of the Deep/Farron) the Warden's twin blade has been underwhelming, the bleed effect only really work against flesh enemies.

NinjaBoiX

Is the Yuria katana better than Uchigatana? Currently running my last build (DEX) just to try some cool weapons as Friede's Scythe and Midir's Katana. What's the best weapon I can get know (Cathedral of the Deep/Farron) the Warden's twin blade has been underwhelming, the bleed effect only really work against flesh enemies.
This guy is asking my kind of questions!

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I feel like I lose a certain part of the experience ignoring side quests in Souls games (I've never done them) in terms of loot and lore but I usually just find a few weapons I vibe off (invariably the boss soul weapons are strength orientated, something I heard was fixed in this game but apparently not, it's always great this or heavy that, I'm a dex build you fucks!) so I just pop them for souls.

And I don't care for the lore regardless, even the main path generally bores me to tears with the "ashen ones this and unkindled flame that", zzzz....

I just pick some gear that suits my build, whack some monsters over the head and enjoy the scenery. Works for me!

(I feel like I'm almost done with the main quest, still on Dancer but I get the feeling it's endgame time.)

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Ok, how fucked am I? Fancied a bit of PVP so I summoned a dude just past the Pontiff Sulyvahn bonfire... He appears, looks at me, and I die instantly.
"Fucking cheaters" I mumble, and get back to my game upon respawn.

Except now, I'm permanently taking tick damage. It won't go away.
Left area, restarted game, no luck. Is this some sort of code injection? What the fuck?

I'm currently re-installing, but I can't help think this wont solve anything. Anyone experienced this? It's not the first time I've found cheaters (infinite Estus is a common one), but this is new entirely. Can't find anything online either.

Top Bottom