• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Neoxon

Autocombos are fine as long as autocombos suck. If they do no damage, there's no use for them at even lower levels. At that point they just exist so noobs can feel like they're accomplishing something.

Not sure about DBZF but MVCI autocombos are clearly trash.
But at least MvCI lets you turn them off, which I'd imagine most people who are decent at fighting games will do.

Though for DBFZ, the unique strings for auto combos could be a legitimate reason for why you can't turn them off (if the unique strings are a thing like in P4A).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why are people so worried about turning auto-combos off? Like, I'd understand if it was like the stupid d,d motion for DP. I don't want shifting my block quickly, and pressing a punch to poke out of a block string to turn into an unsafe move. The way a DP is buffered by a forward jump in, a crouching nomal, and then shifting the finger a small motion to land the move, or how smoothly a DP motion buffers much of a double quarter circle for super, is totally loss with the new motion, too.

But mashing standing jab turning into a combo? I shouldn't be mashing standing jab that long in a row anyway. Transitioning to crouching / another button / a special is a wealth of better options, that any decent player should be doing after the first 3 minutes in matches.

Is there something more damning about DBFZ's autos that I've missed out on? Does doing a basic L-M-S gattling automatically waste a super bar without fail, or something? Do 2 light presses turn into a 5 hit string? Do they have horrible framedata? What is gained by turning off tools that you shouldn't ever stumble upon in the first place?

Justin Wong was constantly using the "Crossover Combination" supers in UMVC3 last night. Which are easy-as-hell supers for all character teams done by pressing a few buttons with no motions, right? Yet it's particular start-up and properties makes it a tool implemented for casuals, that mechanically has use for all players, too.

Similar with KoF XIV's LP Rush combos. They're not optimal, but they have normalized features in hitstun and startup across the board, and all use unique animations. They're less simply an option for noobs, and more a unique-animation-rich special universal string. They're a part of the game that gives many characters an easy-to-reach light-derived counter combo. If you don't think you'll be able to cancel LP->qcb,f+P or LK->qcb,qcb+K with Goro, for example, this is an easier-to-pull-on-reaction stopgap that lets you have SOEMTHING to fill the gap, while you master the more execution-heavy, efficient variations. Considering not every character has the luxury of Light hit -> Command Normal for easier confirms, this can be very helpful for some characters.

Hey man, sometimes it could be great for newer players to ease into fighting games these days. Easier the games to get into, the more players entering, appreciating, and playing more fighting games.

shrug

I don't mind auto combos, but is there any data that suggests that they increase game sales, player retention, or stream views?

I don't mind auto combos, but is there any data that suggests that they increase game sales, player retention, or stream views?

they're a net negative regardless of implementation since the best case scenario is always them not mattering at all

the whole "ease people into it" thing is bullshit that has been going on for years because somehow nothing is ever enough anyway

this is a real question being asked

fighting game discussion in 2017

I know a lot of people who actively enjoy playing fighters more because of this inclusion. But I guess this is the same thing as, "as long as it isn't ruining your enjoyment of a game, then why does it matter?". Certainly doesn't look like it's hurt FightersZ in terms of gameplay.

I don't think their aim is to do any of that.

Their primary purpose is to let people do cool shit with a press of a button, or in other words, let people have fun more immediately with the game. I think they're best implemented by Arc in their games by being actual parts of the characters moveset, not unlike canned strings in action games adding to their accessibility. A game with depth can still be designed around easier inputs

I still have yet to see a real convincing argument for how they hurt the game.

Raitaro

Just caught up with the Evo footage and man, this game is continuing to look incredibly amazing and spectacular. It's definitely re-awakening my childhood love of DBZ as well!

Bit of a sidenote but I can't stop salivating at the thought of ArcSys ever possibly doing other licensed fighting games. Just imagine a Berserk or One Piece one with these graphics! Or, heck why not an out-of-left-field option like a new TMNT Tournament Fighters? That would be a dream come true for me.

HardRojo

So no character trailer during the weekend? :(
ASW blew our minds with that BB crossover, but it would have been amazing to see yet one more announcement right there for this game :( Future Trunks trailer, something.

Just caught up with the Evo footage and man, this game is continuing to look incredibly amazing and spectacular. It's definitely re-awakening my childhood love of DBZ as well!

Bit of a sidenote but I can't stop salivating at the thought of ArcSys ever possibly doing other licensed fighting games. Just imagine a Berserk or One Piece one with these graphics! Or, heck why not an out-of-left-field option like a new TMNT Tournament Fighters? That would be a dream come true for me.

Doable imo. I still lol at the completely broken Fist of the North Star game lol.

Asd202

So no character trailer during the weekend? :(
ASW blew our minds with that BB crossover, but it would have been amazing to see yet one more announcement right there for this game :( Future Trunks trailer, something.

I'm still hoping for something after Tekken because Namco.

Let's go!

DDOypU6VYAAobsf.jpg:large

4bca87fb1d2d47db9c71f7fe02f0108243631aeb_hq.gif

Durden77

Had a super busy weekend and I'm just now catching up. Trunks and Piccolo announced? Yessssss. Did they have a tournament or anything at EVO? Or was it just there to play? Could someone give me some vids and info to get me up to speed?

Asd202

Had a super busy weekend and I'm just now catching up. Trunks and Piccolo announced? Yessssss. Did they have a tournament or anything at EVO? Or was it just there to play? Could someone give me some vids and info to get me up to speed?

Just Trunks but beta sign up on 26th and confirmed 9 characters in the Beta

Most likely the 3 extra characters will be Krillen, Picollo, and Trunks I'm guessing. Kinda meh if so, but I just can't wait to play the game.

sjay1994

Game looks dope, but I wish I cared about DBZ.

I just enjoy the Abridged Series.

But... I might actually consider getting this game if Hercule/Mr.Satan is in it as a playable character.

Top Bottom