• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

RedEther

I'm pretty sure we'll get a trailer sometime this weekend for Trunks, so he's def off the table.

Yeah Rhymestyle definitely hinted at something at the the end of the tournament.

So I'm guessing it's probably a trailer for Trunks most likely, I think we won't see anything until finals day probably.

There aren't a lot of prominent female Dragon Ball characters to choose from besides 18. Maybe they could do something for Chi Chi or Videl, and it's too soon for Caulifla or Kale.

True 18 is the only one I could picture getting in atm.

Crocodile

If new characters are to be revealed in less than a week in V-Jump, shouldn't they just reveal them this weekend @Evo with a further info dump in the magazine. Makes more sense to give the Evo crowd the big scoop than the V-Jump crowd no?

If new characters are to be revealed in less than a week in V-Jump, shouldn't they just reveal them this weekend @Evo with a further info dump in the magazine. Makes more sense to give the Evo crowd the big scoop than the V-Jump crowd no?

They didn't expect to be at Evo. It was a last minute thing.

It's a jump property so they're probably somewhat invested in selling copies of the magazine. Vs having no stake whatsoever in EVO

Crocodile

They didn't expect to be at Evo. It was a last minute thing.

It's a jump property so they're probably somewhat invested in selling copies of the magazine. Vs having no stake whatsoever in EVO

I didn't know Evo was a last minute thing. What y'all are saying make sense even if I think Evo would have been the better info drop point. It is an international event after all with lots of Japanese eyes on it and DB is MASSIVE in the West. Seems like the ideal audience but alas.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ASW Shows off Single frames / screenshots, and then full gameplay later on traditionally, no? It's much easier to produce a few frames to show people, and then worry about having them semi-content complete, ready to show in action, weeks later.

Trunks has taken weeks to have gameplay shown. Seeing him animated this weekend, and then seeing stills with V-Jump for new characters, sounds reasonable.

Seems the same way MVCI is handling Gamora, so far.

HardRojo

Watched a couple of matches. Damn people are getting the hang of things now. Game's gonna be absolutely incredible when it finally comes out.

Neoxon

What? There's autocombo? It ruined Persona Arena and Kof 14 for me... Please confine that shit in a Stylish control mode!
Yeah, most of us are hoping for an option to turn it off like in MvCI. But if it's anything like Persona 4 Arena (Ultimax), it'll probably have exclusive strings.

mooncakes

There aren't a lot of prominent female Dragon Ball characters to choose from besides 18. Maybe they could do something for Chi Chi or Videl, and it's too soon for Caulifla or Kale.

You forgot Bulma and Baba. There is plenty of female in the series. You don't have to look for actual female fighters.

Put Bulma in a mech suit and make her toss capsules with RNG properties. Make her play like Tron Bonne + Faust.

HardRojo

By the time the game comes out Kale and Caulifla will have been fully fleshed out. Still, I have no confidence of them making it into the base roster, but it'd be fucking awesome to see them appear in the same somewhere down the line.
Edit: New character trailer pls.

BossRush

Man, even though I'm sure it won't be too much of an issue. I have no idea why some companies are so against the idea of auto combos being optional.

Linari

Neo Member
https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdbloodedLovelyNostrilMau5

Reminds me some marvel dhcs. Hopefully Piccolo and Frieza have great synergy.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AgreeableEncouragingDuckJonCarnage

It looks like you can cancel the hit part of the teleport as chris draws things player does it twice after getting hits in.

Autocombos are a non issue for me as I played Persona 4 arena and ultimax seeing how arcsys handle that game with autocombos, especially if you can jump cancel some of them. People should stop worrying about autocombos, it doesn't make you any less of a player using them and if your problem is mashing then you need to play more fightings games or hit the training mode asap to remove the need to use the autocombo.

Slaythe

https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdbloodedLovelyNostrilMau5

Reminds me some marvel dhcs. Hopefully Piccolo and Frieza have great synergy.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AgreeableEncouragingDuckJonCarnage

It looks like you can cancel the hit part of the teleport as chris draws things player does it twice after getting hits in.

Autocombos are a non issue for me as I played Persona 4 arena and ultimax seeing how arcsys handle that game with autocombos, especially if you can jump cancel some of them. People should stop worrying about autocombos, it doesn't make you any less of a player using them and if your problem is mashing then you need to play more fightings games or hit the training mode asap to remove the need to use the autocombo.

Excuse me but why should we care if they're an issue for you ? If they're not m, good for you. Nobody is telling you how to play. Just like some people prefer fight stick over pad, understand that some people hate autocombos, especially with light AND medium attacks leading to them. Having the option is always preferred over shoving down people's throat a mechanic that adds only negative for them. Nobody is saying it shouldn't be in the game or that people should feel bad for using it. Everyone is free to play the way they love.

And that's why we want the option :/ .

"I don't care about it so it's not a problem" is such a selfish way to look at things.

Spman2099

Xbox if I had to guess

Seems like a weird guess... PS4 tends to be the tournament standard these days, so probably that.

Excuse me but why should we care if they're an issue for you ? If they're not m, good for you. Nobody is telling you how to play. Just like some people prefer fight stick over pad, understand that some people hate autocombos, especially with light AND medium attacks leading to them. Having the option is always preferred over shoving down people's throat a mechanic that adds only negative for them. Nobody is saying it shouldn't be in the game or that people should feel bad for using it. Everyone is free to play the way they love.

"I don't care about it so it's not a problem" is such a selfish way to look at things.

I think what he probably meant was that once you get used to them you probably won't even notice that they are there. That was certainly the case for me and the Persona games. However, once again, clearly the optimal solution is an option to turn them off. I think we can all agree on that. We don't need to get nasty over this, guys.

The bigger detractors of the auto combo should probably tweet the producer and let her know Bandai Namco and let them know how you feel. The more she they hears about it, the more likely the inclusion of an option to turn it off will be.

Linari

Neo Member

My bad and I apologize if that came off as dismissing others' opinions. I understand and care about it since I'm studying game design in hope of designing a fighting game myself in the future and I like learning the psyche of players in comparison to mine on experiences with fighters like Dbfz.

Options to turn off autocombos would be great. But going by the history of a past title Arcsys did, Persona 4 Arena, they seem to be designing the game mechanics with autocombos in mind. I don't think there will be an option similar to BB or GG's stylish modes. I'm sure it won't be much of problem with a little practice and familiarity.

Why are autocombos such a negative? Why does it feel like that are shoving a mechanic down your throats? Those reasons seem a bit strange when it is mechanic that have unique options for each and are easily avoidable as one can learn and develop familiarity with the game.

Pompadour

Why are autocombos such a negative? Why does it feel like that are shoving a mechanic down your throats? Those reasons seem a bit strange when it is mechanic that have unique options for each and are easily avoidable as one can learn and develop familiarity with the game.

I think some people's issues with autocombos are when they lock unique moves behind a string of light attacks. I'd be fine with Guilty Gear/MvCI autocombos where mashing an attack button gives you a simple combo.

I don't even like proximity normals for the same reason (although that's a different situation). I want to do a specific attack when I want to do it, even if it's a terrible idea.

Linari

Neo Member
this is a real question being asked

fighting game discussion in 2017

Hey man, sometimes it could be great for newer players to ease into fighting games these days. Easier the games to get into, the more players entering, appreciating, and playing more fighting games.

shrug

Sheroking

Autocombos are fine as long as autocombos suck. If they do no damage, there's no use for them at even lower levels. At that point they just exist so noobs can feel like they're accomplishing something.

Not sure about DBZF but MVCI autocombos are clearly trash.

Alienous

Autocombos are lazy, imo.

Fighting games should give players a path to competency with the mechanics, not just 'Eh, let them mash buttons'. If the mechanics are too complicated they should look at simplifying them across the board without reducing depth.

I think if auto combos yield unique strings, they're more of an option/tool than a feature. So it doesn't really make sense to turn them off anymore than it would make sense to turn off any other part of a character's movelist.

I don't really get the arguments against them here

Won't happen but wish they'd stop with the "counter" thing being announced every time. Was annoying in GG and BB.

It's good when they actually matter. I didn't realize how much I relied on the sound cue until I played games without them

You can always tell when beginner's are playing each other though because they're happening CONSTANTLY lol

Top Bottom