• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

HardRojo

They seriously gotta work on the reveals. One at EVO had to be a must, it's the biggest FG games tournament of the year and Trunks has been "revealed" already, throw us a bone! Come on!

Sheroking

They seriously gotta work on the reveals. One at EVO had to be a must, it's the biggest FG games tournament of the year and Trunks has been "revealed" already, throw us a bone! Come on!

Comic-con is in 6 days and DBFZ is going to be there.

So I can see why they may not make reveals at EVO this year.

Boke1879

I'm in the camp that a new reveal would have been perfect for Evo, but I'm not mad that there isn't.

I feel them actually getting the game in the hands of these people and showing a mini tournament is much more apt.

IMO they can reveal characters when they wish. They have plenty of avenues to do so.

DrDogg

Do we have confirmation that there won't be a reveal or is this just speculation?

Since it's Namco I could see a reveal during Tekken top 8, especially if they have Tekken character reveals as well.

AESplusF

Do we have confirmation that there won't be a reveal or is this just speculation?

Since it's Namco I could see a reveal during Tekken top 8, especially if they have Tekken character reveals as well.

No confirmation, just speculation, there are two more tourneys tomorrow anyway.

TreIII

I'm in the camp that a new reveal would have been perfect for Evo, but I'm not mad that there isn't.

I feel them actually getting the game in the hands of these people and showing a mini tournament is much more apt.

IMO they can reveal characters when they wish. They have plenty of avenues to do so.

Yeah, this is where I am. They know that a character drop is just another means to keep the game visible, so there's not as much of a need to have one at EVO. People are just having fun playing what they can.

I'm at least hoping we get the beta confirmation this weekend. Y'know, for those of us stuck at home.

I kind of have a new policy to never buy fighting games again because I never have the time to really learn them the way I want (NetherRealm games are exempt because I can just play through the story mode), but I'm pretty sure I'm going to break that policy for this. Assuming it has a decent training mode that is which is likely considering this is ArcSys. Looks so good.

delta_reg

They must be planning for some characters to have pretty powerful assists if they feel it would make up for not having the power to beat a better fighter like Goku one on one, for example. Plus she confirmed only one assist per character, and that characters are chosen based on the unique moves they can being. It'll be very interesting to see how they handle that with this game, it seems based on what's being said that the team aspect could be a lot more important than how it's been with the six fighters shown so far.

delta_reg

That's actually really lame. Really limits team building and character synergy. :/

This is too early to say, but so far Freeza's assist seems really good (it's the only I've seen actually get abused, a lot of people started putting Freeza at anchor for it.), Vegeta's also good and the rest don't seem as great.

I think it just means you need to be more careful about which fighters go with which when building a team, cause just having three powerful fighters might not be enough if none of them have good assists. So it could be looked at as a limitation sure, but it also could help give more fighters a chance to be effective and actually feasible to use within their niche imo. It all depends on the implementation.

That's actually really lame. Really limits team building and character synergy. :/

This is too early to say, but so far Freeza's assist seems really good (it's the only I've seen actually get abused, a lot of people started putting Freeza at anchor for it.), Vegeta's also good and the rest don't seem as great.

It's effectively just like every Marvel game for 99% of the cast.

It's effectively just like every Marvel game for 99% of the cast.
Sure, but the option is there anyway in case . It's like if Sentinel only had the Bomb variant of Sentinel Force and Dante only had crystal, and then you'd be missing out on the other Sentinel Force and Jam Session. Though I hope this means they'll make sure characters will actually have a good assist. None of them seem outright bad so far.

That bit in the interview that made it sound they're deliberately designing the weaker in canon characters to be only useful as assists is more concerning, actually.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I really hope they add Janemba

ans-260853694

Sheroking

No it doesn't

How could it not?

Some Marvel characters only have one useful assist, but in lots of team compositions and match-ups you pick different assists to compliment different point characters. It really adds to the exploration of different teams and play-styles. Limiting to one assist - and most of the assists seem bad - can only make the game more limited.

Considering the game is already going to be overly homogeneous thanks to an inevitable small cast, is a bit disappointing.

How could it not?

Some Marvel characters only have one useful assist, but in lots of team compositions and match-ups you pick different assists to compliment different point characters. It really adds to the exploration of different teams and play-styles. Limiting to one assist - and most of the assists seem bad - can only make the game more limited.

Considering the game is already going to be overly homogeneous thanks to an inevitable small cast, is a bit disappointing.

This game isn't Marvel

We literally have no idea what goes into team composition in this game system. Let's figure the game out before we start crying about it being limited

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
it'd be cool to get two characters revealed tomorrow and then a new build of the game at whatever the thing is next week

no, that's not true at all

Comic-con next week. I want Piccolo bad, he should be one of the more unique ones from the early cast at least. Gimme dem stretchy limbs!

i see everyone talking about assist.. Was it not when you summon someone from your team to do an attack?

Anyone can point me out to a video where we see an assist? Like the one with frieza? Thanks

i see everyone talking about assist.. Was it not when you summon someone from your team to do an attack?

Anyone can point me out to a video where we see an assisit? Like the one with frieza? Thanks

You can pick any video and see assists. We are just talking about being able to select assists like in MvC where you can choose from 3 different attacks as an assist. On the other hand DBZ will only have one specific assist per character.

You can pick any video and see assists. We are just talking about being able to select assists like in MvC where you can choose from 3 different attacks as an assist. On the other hand DBZ will only have one specific assist per character.

ho that's what i didn't understand, when people said "one assist" i thought it was one character! Thanks

RocBase

New interview with Tomoko http://www.shonengamez.com/2017/07/14/dragon-ball-fighterz-interview-no-crossplay-planned-update-on-switch-version/

One assist per character confirmed, a little disappointing but oh well.

Edit: beaten

So I just read the full interview. RE: Characters working better as assists:

So in this game we want to push forward the idea that it isn’t a 1 V 1 game. It’s 3 v 3 game, your characters are playing as a team. This means that some characters won’t be.. its really difficult to get into without talking about specific characters, but there are definitely some characters that are better as an assist that can maybe support you or cover you. Those characters will be announced on another day, but what we’re trying to do is create a balance with you as a team, but still not ruin the Dragon Ball image, because you know, you wouldn’t see weak characters simply defeat strong characters individually. We want players to overcome those power differences uses team balance.

I actually like the idea of emphasising the support aspect in a team based game, though it doesn't mean they'll necessarily be ass on point as I do trust they'll make it all work. Not many seem to be very keen on this but I'm honestly looking forward to seeing how they play it out.

Sheroking

So I just read the full interview. RE: Characters working better as assists:

I actually like the idea of emphasising the support aspect in a team based game, though it doesn't mean they'll necessarily be ass on point as I do trust they'll make it all work. Not many seem to be very keen on this but I'm honestly looking forward to seeing how they play it out.

It's solid conceptually but I am concerned they won't have enough characters to avoid homogeneity.

This is a game archetype that demands like 40 characters and we may have as few as half that based on what we know about ArcSys and how long it takes them to animate characters in this style.

Top Bottom