• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary Collection announced for Wii

fates

Outside, but I don't see it happening, not with Square Enix in the hole they are in. Even if Nintendo markets they're still gonna be left with the localization work.

Oxx

That helmet does look pretty awesome.

Despite my DQ fandom the only piece of merch. I have is the free key-ring that came with DQ9.

fates said:
Outside, but I don't see it happening, not with Square Enix in the hole they are in. Even if Nintendo markets they're still gonna be left with the localization work.
The localization for DQ1-3 is already done, twice over even (NES and GBC). The only thing they'd need to do is insert the GBC english script into the SFC ROMs. Even if it was just the NES originals, I think it'd be worth the effort (though I'd rather get DW1-4 on VC personally). Nintendo might push for it too, they'll want to keep DQ on western gamers minds while we wait for DQX.

I'm still holding out hope for a DQVII remake though.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The GBC localizations are abhorrent.

Plus, they probably wouldn't 1:1 match the SNES versions anyway, it's not as simple as just inserting a script in most cases.

Princess Skittles said:
The GBC localizations are abhorrent.

Plus, they probably wouldn't 1:1 match the SNES versions anyway, it's not as simple as just inserting a script in most cases.
I thought they were direct (as possible) conversions of the SFC remakes? What changed between them?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
lunchwithyuzo said:
I thought they were direct (as possible) conversions of the SFC remakes? What changed between them?
Enix America fit English text in the same amount of space as the Japanese characters for most of the localization, that's the primary problem (hence Metaly and Metabble).

I'm sure they are script differences between the Japanese versions too (SFC->GBC), there's always stuff changed, added or removed in ports, even if minor.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wario64 said:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/20...ds/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Square Enix is celebrating Dragon Quest's 25th anniversary with more than just the recently announced Wii compilation of the first three games. Retailers have revealed some sweet commemorative Dragon Quest series goods for release later this year.

So far, we know of three items:

Happy Birthday Slime Big Sofbee
¥8,950, release in June. A 1/1 size slime with a radius of 30 centimeters.
Dragon Quest Legend Items Gallery Special Loto Helmet
¥13,440, release in July. A replica of the Loto Helmet that appears in Dragon Quest. It's a full size recreation (but I don't think you should actually stick you head in it).
1/1 Loto Symbol
¥10,500, release in June. A 1 to 1 replica of the Loto no Shirushi item.

OMG NEED

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wow, i would love to have the helmet + the slime figure... ill have to hook up with some j-gaffer.

Yottamole

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
I'm still holding out hope for a DQVII remake though.
It will happen, just like every DQ game that came before it. It's just a matter of time and platform. A full-fledged DQ7 remake on HD Cafe in year 2013 maybe (or on 3DS)?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wario64 said:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/20...ds/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Square Enix is celebrating Dragon Quest's 25th anniversary with more than just the recently announced Wii compilation of the first three games. Retailers have revealed some sweet commemorative Dragon Quest series goods for release later this year.

So far, we know of three items:

Happy Birthday Slime Big Sofbee
¥8,950, release in June. A 1/1 size slime with a radius of 30 centimeters.
Dragon Quest Legend Items Gallery Special Loto Helmet
¥13,440, release in July. A replica of the Loto Helmet that appears in Dragon Quest. It's a full size recreation (but I don't think you should actually stick you head in it).
1/1 Loto Symbol
¥10,500, release in June. A 1 to 1 replica of the Loto no Shirushi item.

http://i.imgur.com/WuLlW.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kSxhF.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CQ83X.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Those are awesome, but god damn are they pricey. Wish I had the money for them.

Is Loto or Roto the correct English translation of the name, or was it never given? I always liked Roto more.

Drkirby said:
Those are awesome, but god damn are they pricey. Wish I had the money for them.

Is Loto or Roto the correct English translation of the name, or was it never given? I always liked Roto more.
They used Loto in the GB/C games, anyway.

Cheerilee

Drkirby said:
AFAIK, Roto was the more commonly-accepted spelling, but Enix America went against the grain with with DQ1-3 GBC and spelled it Loto because there is no correct translation, and they wanted to avoid possible "Roto Rooter" jokes.

Edit: And DQIX more recently went back and embraced the original "Erdrick" localization.

Just woke up and saw the news!

....then realized, yeah, they'll never localize this and I'll never get to proper play DQI-III

T__T

Zee-Row

Banned
ruby_onix said:
AFAIK, Roto was the more commonly-accepted spelling, but Enix America went against the grain with with DQ1-3 GBC and spelled it Loto because there is no correct translation, and they wanted to avoid possible "Roto Rooter" jokes.

Edit: And DQIX more recently went back and embraced the original "Erdrick" localization.

Probably because Nintendo translated the game right? Erdrick Nintendo translated Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior and they inserted the name in both.

Zee-Row

Banned
I wonder if these did by some slim chance come to the U.S. would they keep the Dragon Warrior name on the NES versions or would they make the effort to change the title screen back to Dragon Quest? On the virtual console they've shown that they are to lazy to change the Final Fantasy games title numbers back to the originals with FF4 and FF6.

Aeana

Zee-Row said:
Probably because Nintendo translated the game right? Erdrick Nintendo translated Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior and they inserted the name in both.
The same people who translated 8, 4 and 5 translated 9.

Zee-Row

Banned
Remember that item in the original Dragon Warrior "The Fighter's Ring" that was in that cave west of the main castle? Did it ever do anything useful? I remember always putting that ring and being unaware of what it actually did. It didn't seem like it increased attack or anything.

apujanata

Aeana said:
Might as well. Although if they don't fix 1 and 2 Famicom (they won't), then there's no reason to play them. NA got much upgraded versions of those games on the NES. I don't want to keep track of 52 character passwords for DQ2 anymore.

And people nowadays complained about friend code :)

Bring on 52 character passwords. 52 byte strength encryption FTW.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm racking my memory on I-III (it's been a while) and I'm not hitting any specific risqué scenarios right off, it could just be incidental NPC dialog that's been changed.

Johnas

Oh cool, another slap in the face as an American DQ fan that the superior SFC versions of I, II and III are releasing yet again, and yet again NA gets stiffed. Thanks SE, I needed that.

This disc would have been a great warmup to DQX. Nintendo needs to make good on those previous comments about increasing DQ sales in the U.S. and work on getting this brought over.

I know it won't happen, but my point still stands.

Cheerilee

Princess Skittles said:
I'm racking my memory on I-III (it's been a while) and I'm not hitting any specific risqué scenarios right off, it could just be incidental NPC dialog that's been changed.
In DQ1, after you rescue the princess from the dragon, and you're carrying her home, if you stop at an inn along the way, the innkeeper comments that the two of you didn't get any sleep.

Zing

Banned
I recently played through Dragon Warrior on my NES. Great game. Perfect length. Nothing obfuscated. Fun, linear romp.

I then started Dragon Warrior II with high hopes. I eventually gave up. Deaths in battle are far too common. I am not saying the battles are hard, I am saying they are random. You will be doing well, then suddenly you are jumped by four whatevers and next thing you know, someone* in your party is dead and there was nothing you could do about it. I got pretty far in the game without using any FAQs or maps. It just stopped being fun. The music isn't as good. The gameplay isn't as good.

I own Dragon Warrior III, but I haven't tried it beyond running around town.

*It's always the Prince of Cannock.

Zing

Banned
Zee-Row said:
Remember that item in the original Dragon Warrior "The Fighter's Ring" that was in that cave west of the main castle? Did it ever do anything useful? I remember always putting that ring and being unaware of what it actually did. It didn't seem like it increased attack or anything.
The only thing it does is change what one soldier in the game says to you. I forget which town he is in but he initially says something about wearing a ring.

ruby_onix said:
In DQ1, after you rescue the princess from the dragon, and you're carrying her home, if you stop at an inn along the way, the innkeeper comments that the two of you didn't get any sleep.
Me carrying my woman home:
5486148883_b0758ce0b1_m.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I actually own the original famicom and super fami carts for every game in this collection, and I'm STILL going to buy this. I am part of the problem. The sexy sexy problem.

Jomjom

Banned
I hate that this was even announced. Knowing that it most likely won't make it here to the US, I would rather never have heard of its existence.

MYE

DXB-KNIGHT said:
After preparing my Wii for Xenoblade I grabbed it from PlayAsia although I can't understand a thing but it was worth it for the clasical music

Wow, its really expensive in PlayAsia

edit: Found it for £16.39 on Ebay.UK

How import friendly is it and how hard is it to make it run on a pal Wii?

MYE said:
Wow, its really expensive in PlayAsia

edit: Found it for £16.39 on Ebay.UK

How import friendly is it and how hard is it to make it run on a pal Wii?
I know its expensive but I don't buy lots of games except for certain titles and if its from my favorite series like Zelda and Dragon Quest I can get a bit crazy. Regarding how import friendly it is I don't think its that much since I only go through battles with people, equip my hero and arrange my deck other than that I don't know anything.

Zing said:
I recently played through Dragon Warrior on my NES. Great game. Perfect length. Nothing obfuscated. Fun, linear romp.

I then started Dragon Warrior II with high hopes. I eventually gave up. Deaths in battle are far too common. I am not saying the battles are hard, I am saying they are random. You will be doing well, then suddenly you are jumped by four whatevers and next thing you know, someone* in your party is dead and there was nothing you could do about it. I got pretty far in the game without using any FAQs or maps. It just stopped being fun. The music isn't as good. The gameplay isn't as good.

I own Dragon Warrior III, but I haven't tried it beyond running around town.

*It's always the Prince of Cannock.

DQ2 wasn't that well balanced. The Prince of Cannock and Princess of Moonbrooke just aren't powerful or resilient enough.

To answer the earlier post, IIRC the Fighter's Ring in DQ1 enhances critical hit chances.

Top Bottom