• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary Collection announced for Wii

That dead ass rom dump collection, a mess.

At least try something more up to date, like Dragon Quest VIII. But this is an anniversary thing, so ok.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I was hoping for a DQVII remake to lay out the ground for DQX, but I'm fine with this too.

If this doesn't come overseas I hope we get DW1-3 on the Virtual Console then.

Still hoping for a DQ7 remake too, but now I'm less confident it'll happen.

Yottamole

Banned
Aren't the mobile phone versions of DQ1 & 2 more advanced (at least graphically) than the SFC versions? They should also be included.

I wouldn't be able to play them unless they found a way to speed them up considerably. I just can't stomach the speed of the NES versions of the DW games. Can anyone say if they sped them up much for the GBC variations?

Aeana

Yottamol said:
Aren't the mobile phone versions of DQ1 & 2 more advanced (at least graphically) than the SFC versions? They should also be included.
Yes, the mobile versions use DQ3 SFC's tileset.

flintstryker said:
man would it have killed them to add dq4?
This is for the Loto trilogy only.

BMF said:
I wouldn't be able to play them unless they found a way to speed them up considerably. I just can't stomach the speed of the NES versions of the DW games. Can anyone say if they sped them up much for the GBC variations?
GBC versions are based on the SFC remakes, which are much faster, yes.

fates

Have to say this is pretty exciting.

But the chances of it being localized are... slim to non-existant. 3rd party game on Wii? Especially after E3 with Nintendo new's console. Doubtful.

fates said:

But the chances of it being localized are... slim to non-existant. 3rd party game on Wii? Especially after E3 with Nintendo new's console. Doubtful.

That's like saying the DQ VI remake localization wouldn't have happened because the 3DS came out yet it did. If it's not localized, that's not the reason...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I could see Nintendo publishing this in the states. Maybe...as a giveaway for preordering DQ X...yeah...I guess not.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't have a Wii that plays Japanese games (yet), but I will probably buy this because I"m a DQ whore.

fates

Bel Marduk said:
That's like saying the DQ VI remake localization wouldn't have happened because the 3DS came out yet it did. If it's not localized, that's not the reason...

Yeah but the DS didn't have as big a 3rd party issue as the Wii did.

Don't get me wrong I think this COULD make waves here if (preferably Nintendo) marketed it right. But I don't think they'll bother simply because of the situation the Wii is in.

Aeana said:
Yes, the mobile versions use DQ3 SFC's tileset.
I didn't realize that there was a mobile phone version. Maybe they rewrote it in C so that it's portable. I would certainly buy a 3DSware/DSiWare version if it were available.

Zihark

fates said:

RFO is coming......

fates said:
Yeah but the DS didn't have as big a 3rd party issue as the Wii did.

Don't get me wrong I think this COULD make waves here if (preferably Nintendo) marketed it right. But I don't think they'll bother simply because of the situation the Wii is in.

OK now, the Wii isn't dead in NA/EU. We're not talking about the PSP here when it comes to SW.

donny2112

Never played 2, and after playing IV-VI on DS, it'd be interesting to check them out on SNES. (Oh, it's the DQI-III SNES remakes.) If this comes out in the U.S. for $30, I'm getting it. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sounds awesome. Wish it also had 4 though 6, but that is still pretty good. Hope it comes out in English.

Aeana said:
It'd be nice if they fixed DQ1 and 2 FC. Or at least added saving to them (the Japanese originals only have passwords).

Maybe they will have both the JP and NA versions.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
BMF said:
I didn't realize that there was a mobile phone version. Maybe they rewrote it in C so that it's portable. I would certainly buy a 3DSware/DSiWare version if it were available.
I'll take iOS if nothing else for god's sake

gblues

Banned
Aeana said:
Might as well. Although if they don't fix 1 and 2 Famicom (they won't), then there's no reason to play them. NA got much upgraded versions of those games on the NES. I don't want to keep track of 52 character passwords for DQ2 anymore.

Yeah, the US release also got fancy stuff like left/right facing sprites for the main character!

I've been working on a design document for a DQ1 remake that IMO would be awesomely fun and yet still be classic Dragon Quest, and I think would be a better anniversary project than 20+ year old ROM dumps.

Aeana

gblues said:
Yeah, the US release also got fancy stuff like left/right facing sprites for the main character!

I've been working on a design document for a DQ1 remake that IMO would be awesomely fun and yet still be classic Dragon Quest, and I think would be a better anniversary project than 20+ year old ROM dumps.
Having to choose which way to talk in is annoying, but the passwords are more annoying. :\

That sounds like a cool project.

gblues

Banned
Aeana said:
Having to choose which way to talk in is annoying, but the passwords are more annoying. :\

That sounds like a cool project.

It's certainly very cool in my head! It's a little off-topic for this thread, so shoot me a PM if you'd like to hear the details.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Will this really sell much? Don't fans already have all of them, since these aren't remakes?

Aeana

Alextended said:
Will this really sell much? Don't fans already have all of them, since these aren't remakes?
[WII] Super Mario All-Stars (Nintendo) {2010.10.21} - 803.453 / 803.453

It would make sense for Nintendo to localize these for the US considering you can pick up from 3 and move onto 4-6 on the DS, but that's likely more work than they want to do.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've been waiting for them to hack some English text into SFC Final Fantasy V for years. I would gladly pay for a ROM on a disc of that.

Square Enix hacking English into 4 DQ roms? Nah, really isn't happening.

Chairhome

I would love to get this in the US, since I've heard that the SFC version of DQIII is pretty great. I think III could be my favorite.

Top Bottom