• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Emulator RPCS3 Can Now Play Demon's Souls on PC

iavi

Should they not? If not, why not?

They absolutely should. I was just answering the question as to why it seems emulation can't be discussed in the last few weeks without the capes coming out with "omg but the pirates".

I'm all for emulation. Hell, I just bought a refurb Wii U and a copt of BOTW just so I can play it on CEMU.

PaulloDEC

They absolutely should. I was just answering the question as to why it seems emulation can't be discussed in the last few weeks without the capes coming out with "omg but the pirates".

While I'm sure the Patreon stuff hasn't helped, I feel like the real cause of the current level of upset is...

I'm all for emulation. Hell, I just bought a refurb Wii U and a copt of BOTW just so I can play it on CEMU.

Well yeah, that. Not what you're doing obviously, but that entire scenario has made a lot of people suddenly very concerned about the effects of emulation on game sales.

Durante

In the last five years CPUs have hardly progressed at all. What makes you think that's going to change over the next five?
I don't think this is really accurate. Sure, there haven't been huge clock increases, but e.g. Intel improved branch prediction trememdously -- this is particularly relevant for interpreters, so it fits with the topic at hand.

In fact, I remember some microbenchmarks in a paper about this that show an interpreter running over twice as fast on (I think it was) Broadwell than it did on Sandy Bridge, at the same clock.

Vuze

I don't know why this forum is suddenly incapable of discussing emulation without throwing piracy concern trolling into the mix. I guess we need to start being harsher on this again.
Yes please 👏 It's borderline unbearable at times.

Speaking of unbearable, the comment sections of these videos sure are something...

nkarafo

Jesus that performance looks unplayable.

Think I'll stick with my PS3 version.
I assume you are new to emulators, right?

Because the performance is incredible all things considered (like context). It's the first footage of a newly emulated game running in interpreter mode. If i didn't see the video, i would guess it runs at 2 fps max.

Tain

Super, super dope.

I'm a picky, finicky dude that generally finds PS2 and Wii emulation to still be inferior to using the real hardware due to what many would consider to be minor issues (minor visual and audio errors, the occasional stutter, etc) so it will probably be a very long time before this becomes the preferred way to play Demon's Souls for me, but I'm still very happy to see this emulated.

I'm completely ignorant of the techniques behind emulation, so I never understood why do you need such powerful PCs compared to the original console you're emulating, can someone with knowledge explain?

ShdwDrake

Banned
I'm completely ignorant of the techniques behind emulation, so I never understood why do you need such powerful PCs compared to the original console you're emulating, can someone with knowledge explain?

Your computer has to pretend to be another computer. Its not about if your processor can run the game its does your processor have enough power to pretend that its a completely different processor.

AU Tiger

This is amazing. My PS3 is literally just my Demon's Souls machine.

PS4 or PC. don't matter. I need it on a system that isn't over a decade old (my PS3 is a launch month unit)

Shaneus

Ah, all this and we still don't have OG Xbox emulation :/

Still, possibility of playing since rarer PS3 games without needing a console is pretty great.

pa22word

Well yeah, that. Not what you're doing obviously, but that entire scenario has made a lot of people suddenly very concerned about the effects of emulation on game sales.
Those people are idiots. Skyward Sword was playable day one on dolphin and surprise surprise the game still sold very handsomely. People concern trolling over a game that won't be playable in a real way for maybe a fucking year need to grow up a bit.

They say shadows do not render. Is that not maybe because the game is unpatched? Wasn't there something about player shadows being added in a patch?

PaulloDEC

Those people are idiots. Skyward Sword was playable day one on dolphin and surprise surprise the game still sold very handsomely. People concern trolling over a game that won't be playable in a real way for maybe a fucking year need to grow up a bit.

Totally. It's always surprising to me that people think emulation is going to have a significant on sales, especially emulation as immature (in the technical sense) as last-gen emulation. I'd be confident in saying that even among core gamers it remains a very niche interest.

Dr. A

Super, super dope.

I'm a picky, finicky dude that generally finds PS2 and Wii emulation to still be inferior to using the real hardware due to what many would consider to be minor issues (minor visual and audio errors, the occasional stutter, etc) so it will probably be a very long time before this becomes the preferred way to play Demon's Souls for me, but I'm still very happy to see this emulated.

I can't speak for Wii emulation but PS2 emulation is in a very advanced state now - it supports supersampling, AA and a host of other enhancements that elevates the experience beyond what the original hardware can do.

Compatibility is vastly improved too. I believe there are many PS2 titles that play perfectly from start to finish now.

Good times 😁

Dahaka

beautiful - now Sony will definitely press for a PS4 remaster
BELIEVE

Edit: damn it, I haven't watched DS footage in ages. This brings back memories. Demon's Souls remains best Souls.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seeing one of the best games of all time like this

Crying

That is amazing! Would a 3570k @ 4.4ghz be enough for Demon's Souls? I have it on my PS3 digitally but it's the only Souls game I haven't played so far.

Holy shit. Did they somehow manage to get multiplayer running (the white specters during the Vanguard fight)?

Damned impressive stuff. Ball's in your court now, Sony. :p

There are offline ghosts for the tutorials.

Now I hope they can start looking at increasing resolution. I want to play Demon's Souls in 4K.

eot

Banned
It's cool that these emulators are progressing so well, for a while I was worried we'd never have PS3 emulation.

Solrac

what will be first ? the hypothetical remastered for ps4 or the full playable emulated version for pc.

yours bets

Top Bottom