• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Emulator RPCS3 Can Now Play Demon's Souls on PC

Trace

Banned
what will be first ? the hypothetical remastered for ps4 or the full playable emulated version for pc.

yours bets

Fully emulated. It's almost there and a remaster from announcement to release would be at least 3-6 months at minimum.

From my limited knowledge I imagine they will be easier to emulate than the PS3 in the distant future, due to architectural similarities EDIT: (To the PC, x86 etc.)

Just need MOAR POWA.

This couldn't be further from the truth bearing in mind the below relates to the original xbox and efforts to accurately emulate its x86 cpu, written by one of the CXBX devs.

"Emulating an x86 CPU is a lot harder than it sounds. I don't know where this mindless assumption comes from. Yes, there's loads of documentation on how the x86 processor works, but that doesn't exactly make it easy. First of all, the x86 instruction set is M-A-S-S-I-V-E! There can be at least 20 different versions of one instruction (i.e. There are many different versions of the MOV instruction, as well as INC, DEC, ADD, SUB, SHR, SHL, AND, OR, XOR etc.) and it takes time to implement them all. Of course, that's not exactly difficult. The real problem is that any modern x86 processor including the Pentium III can execute multiple instructions at once. So it's not like emulating a Z80 doing one instruction at a time. The actual algorithm and how x86 does this is undocumented and still unknown."

~Kinggi~

Banned
Man one of these days when this has a bunch of games under its belt ill buy a blu ray drive and try and extract my ps3 games, or just run the disks. How does the emulator run games now?

I just tried it out, its amazing. But its still very clearly a work in progress. Currently you cant leave the nexus without it crashing. Also, audio dies out after a few minutes.

Oemenia

Banned
This couldn't be further from the truth bearing in mind the below relates to the original xbox and efforts to accurately emulate its x86 cpu, written by one of the CXBX devs.

"Emulating an x86 CPU is a lot harder than it sounds. I don't know where this mindless assumption comes from. Yes, there's loads of documentation on how the x86 processor works, but that doesn't exactly make it easy. First of all, the x86 instruction set is M-A-S-S-I-V-E! There can be at least 20 different versions of one instruction (i.e. There are many different versions of the MOV instruction, as well as INC, DEC, ADD, SUB, SHR, SHL, AND, OR, XOR etc.) and it takes time to implement them all. Of course, that's not exactly difficult. The real problem is that any modern x86 processor including the Pentium III can execute multiple instructions at once. So it's not like emulating a Z80 doing one instruction at a time. The actual algorithm and how x86 does this is undocumented and still unknown."
I get that the x86 is still not fully documented but how is it that emulation of both the PS3 and 360 have come so far in such a short time?

The Cell is obviously very complex but PPC can't be that simple compared to x86 can it?

Mivey

I get that the x86 is still not fully documented but how is it that emulation of both the PS3 and 360 have come so far in such a short time?

The Cell is obviously very complex but PPC can't be that simple compared to x86 can it?
There is an active community working with the hardware. In general, people writing emulators have access to basic information that was researched, some times painstakingly reverse engineered by other people.
Meanwhile, the devs of XQEMU are complaining that no one is doing this kind of research, and that's what it really is, for the Xbox. It boils down to high complexity and lack of community interest.

PPC is very well understood in comparison to x86, its why Wii U emulation has progressed so rapidly for example.

And PS3 / 360 only very recently started to show real progress after a long period of stagnation and the real reason is simply an increase in man power and getting talented people on board.

Oemenia

Banned
There is an active community working with the hardware. In general, people writing emulators have access to basic information that was researched, some times painstakingly reverse engineered by other people.
Meanwhile, the devs of XQEMU are complaining that no one is doing this kind of research, and that's what it really is, for the Xbox. It boils down to high complexity and lack of community interest.
Well that was pretty much what I was asking so thanks for answering that too! XQEMU is showing good progress right now and plays a lot of games but would you assess the state of it right now and future potential?

PPC is very well understood in comparison to x86, its why Wii U emulation has progressed so rapidly for example.

And PS3 / 360 only very recently started to show real progress after a long period of stagnation and the real reason is simply an increase in man power and getting talented people on board.
Still though, the GPUs in those things are immense, is there some form HLE going on?

Mivey

Well that was pretty much what I was asking so thanks for answering that too! XQEMU is showing good progress right now and plays a lot of games but would you assess the state of it right now and future potential?
I am not equipped to answer that. I do find the project especially fascinating since it's essentially taking an existing hypervisor, on which you run virtual machines, and works on top of that.
The current state can be seen here, the history of recent commits. Not extremely active, but also not dead. If you read through the issue tracker, it seems, as I said, that they are often waiting on info about the workings of the console.

Oemenia

Banned
I am not equipped to answer that. I do find the project especially fascinating since it's essentially taking an existing hypervisor, on which you run virtual machines, and works on top of that.
The current state can be seen here, the history of recent commits. Not extremely active, but also not dead. If you read through the issue tracker, it seems, as I said, that they are often waiting on info about the workings of the console.
What about a brute force approach to CPU emulation, would that make work a lot easier? If that's the case I guess lack of manpower is the biggest issue.

I just hope people don't start saying the same tired shit about 360 emulation and let it die.

poodaddy

This is some truly excellent work here. I wonder if 3D Dot Heroes and MGS4 are running on this emulator well yet?

Really? It crashes every time I try and leave the nexus. What settings are you using?
Recompiler for both PPU and SPU, and using Vulkan graphics backend.

Is it hanging for you at the loading screen? That's a known issue apparently, and happens intermittently. Sometimes the game hangs at loading screens, sometimes it works fine.

Recompiler for both PPU and SPU, and using Vulkan graphics backend.

Is it hanging for you at the loading screen? That's a known issue apparently, and happens intermittently. Sometimes the game hangs at loading screens, sometimes it works fine.

Yeah, as soon as it loads after selecting the archstone it just hangs. I'm pretty sure I tried those settings too, but ill double check, thanks

NewGame

Banned
This is amazing, finally, a lot of people will have access to the real, true, best Souls game and not just shadow posers. :)

petran79

Banned
Compiled the game on Ubuntu and tested it.
LLVM is not supported unfortunately so I had to rely on Interpreter

Games run slower as a result. Hope they add a PPA of some sort in the future. Had to install QT5.9 to compile it.

des-kd11.png
4K with anisotropic filtering. To be honest, I wish I had just waited for the definitive version of the game. Networking is coming along so I'm sure there'll be a community there too so it's not like I missed out on anything.
https://rpcs3.net/blog/2017/10/03/progress-report-september-2017/

what am i doing wrong?

RPCS3 v0.0.4-6107-380f90b0 Alpha | HEAD
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz | 4 Threads | 7.89 GiB RAM | AVX+
E LDR: Disc game BLES00932 found at invalid location /dev_hdd0/game/
E LDR: Failed to move disc game BLES00932 to /dev_hdd0/disc/ (Already exists)
S LDR: Boot from gamelist per Boot: done

Ubername

Banned
what am i doing wrong?

RPCS3 v0.0.4-6107-380f90b0 Alpha | HEAD
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz | 4 Threads | 7.89 GiB RAM | AVX+
E LDR: Disc game BLES00932 found at invalid location /dev_hdd0/game/
E LDR: Failed to move disc game BLES00932 to /dev_hdd0/disc/ (Already exists)
S LDR: Boot from gamelist per Boot: done

Check the destination for a.out or a temp file or something, that might be preventing the write

Trogdor1123

I'm 100% there once networking is a go. Amazing game is amazing. I wonder if someone will complete the arch stone as a mod.

Top Bottom