• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've already seen some leaked screens and they were so freakin good. Come on translators!

Yeah I've already read the episode and I can't wait for the translation. There is some incredibly interesting visual stuff going on in this chapter and I'm curious what Schierke and Farnese are saying.

Grudy

Yeah I've already read the episode and I can't wait for the translation. There is some incredibly interesting visual stuff going on in this chapter and I'm curious what Schierke and Farnese are saying.

The symbolism present in this chapter is quite amazing. I don't wanna comment on anything until I read the mangastream translation though.

I'd assume the Young Animal preview is different from the chapter we're expecting? 11 pages is too short.

It's not the full chapter. There was another comment on reddit in the same thread that linked to the full one.

Btw next chapter is on 28 April.

HStallion

Casca ain't coming back.

Wouldn't that be some shit. Mind so shattered by everything that happened there is nothing to really salvage and heal. I don't think that will be the case but damn that would be a horribly depressing outcome.

i hope casca doesn't come back. i want to see pain and sorrow from guts, true despair.

I want Casca to come back and, in her despair over the Eclipse, to be the one who activiates the behelit Guts is carrying.

Well you two would certainly be fun at a party. Yeesh. After waiting so many years for this moment, that would be crushingly depressing and rather disappointing, to be honest. I think we will see her return, the question will be how she reacts to the other "party members" that increase by the day. That in itself will be fun to see. She will probably be surprised that Guts has managed to grow his own "family" despite being in such a bad spot (both with his health mentally and physically).

Also, with Rickert, Erica, Silat and Daiba soon joining the party, I think, it might actually help Casca recover, especially seeing Rickert again.

HStallion

Well you two would certainly be fun at a party. Yeesh. After waiting so many years for this moment, that would be crushingly depressing and rather disappointing, to be honest. I think we will see her return, the question will be how she reacts to the other "party members" that increase by the day. That in itself will be fun to see. She will probably be surprised that Guts has managed to grow his own "family" despite being in such a bad spot (both with his health mentally and physically).

Also, with Rickert, Erica, Silat and Daiba soon joining the party, I think, it might actually help Casca recover, especially seeing Rickert again.

I don't know how quick we will to see these characters join up with Guts and his group. They are very far apart and some heavy shit is going to go down inside Casca's mind and I assume in general through the rest of Elfhelm.

jett

D-Member
Man this chapter seemed so short.

I don't know how some of you have endured reading Berserk like this in these short bursts over so many years.

Sou Da

Man this chapter seemed so short.

I don't know how some of you have endured reading Berserk like this in these short bursts over so many years.

Just let it wash over you, accept it. Become Guts.

d4c4dc1a-6c49-4c2c-aa47-0bb84af9ffd9.png

Zolo

Yes she is. All this build up can't be for nothing. We have to have some payoff!

The story would benefit from Casca coming back much more than if she didn't.

Yeah. I definitely see Casca coming back. The depressing part will be how she acts towards Guts while they've been talking about her fear and dislike of him. I expect she'll come back to normal, Guts will expect things to go back to normal, Casca will reject him, and so on from there. Things will likely get better over time. I expect we'll see her bond more towards Farnese and possibly more members of the current group.

HStallion

This chapter is weighing heavy on my mind. Its not even 30 pages and just seeing what was left of Casca inside the casket and the representation of Guts as a wounded dog constantly being attacked while dragging around a huge heavy coffin was heavy as hell. We haven't had Berserk this dark and fucked in a long time and combined with such a long awaited event and the call backs to even worse times is something else. I was hoping to get sleep but I kind of want to read the last few chapters up to these events again lol

Sou Da

Yeah. I definitely see Casca coming back. The depressing part will be how she acts towards Guts while they've been talking about her fear and dislike of him. I expect she'll come back to normal, Guts will expect things to go back to normal, Casca will reject him, and so on from there. Things will likely get better over time. I expect we'll see her bond more towards Farnese and possibly more members of the current group.

Is it not heavily implied that she's holding him back?

Kieli

Why would there be animosity from Casca or Gut's companions towards Guts? The events of the Eclipse should paint him as heroic, if anything.

remz

welll, the dream sequence from this chapter is her internal world right? if so
it doesn't seem that she holds any real animosity toward him. if anything a lot of her fear or negative emotions are towards herself, she see guts as a wounded dog, burdered by dragging her around. I don't see that as animosity, but maybe guilt, or something?

Zolo

it doesn't seem that she holds any real animosity toward him. if anything a lot of her fear or negative emotions are towards herself, she see guts as a wounded dog, burdered by dragging her around. I don't see that as animosity, but maybe guilt, or something?

Possibly both, but we'll see how things work out.

Grudy

There were two things that really got to me. First was the fact that the dog was chained to the coffin. It could have been tugging on a small rope, or carrying the doll on its back, but its chained to it, which says a lot about the relationship between the two at this point. Second was those tattered flag poles that turned into hawks and started poking the dog with the flag that Guts once carried into battle. The whole thing is just so perfect. I can't think what the peak in the distance might be, but I think its safe to asssume that Griffith will be there.

Chestnut Casca is the freaking best too. Cute as fuck. I need one :(

It can be both. She was clearly afraid of him in the past, but it could be just her basic human nature because he did try to her when they got back together. Maybe she won't remember anything post-eclipse.

Exodust

Banned
That was a great chapter. I know we waited months till this one(and years on end for others) but i hate that I have to wait another month.

I'm only on 33 right now, finally at THE BOAT and well past all of the stuff I remember from high school and college.

Gotta say the idea of
Guts and Zodd
teaming up was so baffling when I saw a pic of that before I got there - it makes more sense now.

The fact that Casca's own mind recognizes subconsciously
that Guts is essentially carrying her around like a burden to his death was...

Harrowing. It's nice to see that, if she does get "fixed" she understands what he's sacrificed and done to protect her.

Listening to behelit on repeat while going through this is amazing. Totally thought cascas mind was just gunna be an eclipse flashback. This seems so much more thoughtful and seems like its going to be at least a two year arc.

Mr Git

So bleak it's brilliant. Berserk is back to a regular serial ffff so happy. I'm off to Japan in the morning so will buy some of the latest issues.

Grudy

Listening to behelit on repeat while going through this is amazing. Totally thought cascas mind was just gunna be an eclipse flashback. This seems so much more thoughtful and seems like its going to be at least a two year arc.

Oh man I did the same. It was beautiful. The song fit the whole mood perfectly.

Oh man I did the same. It was beautiful. The song fit the whole mood perfectly.

twinsies. aw man hopefully there are flashbacks of some of the more horrid eclipse things like
judeau's death, pippins death/body used as a decoy, cascas multiple rapes,and ofc griffith's betrayel

twinsies. aw man hopefully there are flashbacks of some of the more horrid eclipse things like
judeau's death, pippins death/body used as a decoy, cascas multiple rapes,and ofc griffith's betrayel

I think we're going to get all of that and more. Think Miura thinks it's about time the others find out about Guts and Casca's
back story and seeing it in this really horrific way will no doubt shock them to the core
(Puck is the only one who has seen glimpses of it so far, the rest have only overheard bits and pieces)

I do think Casca's mind will be repaired at least to some extent.
If it couldn't, the Queen wouldn't be helping them any further, and she's guiding Farnese and Schierke, meaning she knows what to do to get the job done.
The symbolism in this chapter is both tear-jerking and heartwarming, really.

Still, time to wait another month for another chapter, I suppose...

Man, I had been starting to turn my back on Berserk from the constant hiatuses, the terrible new anime and ho-hum musou game. Sat down and read the last few chapters I had missed and quickly remembered why I love the series so much in the first place.

This latest chapter has me so excited. Casca may never return to her original self, but to finally make it to this point after all these years of "Let's go to that elf island and try to heal her" feels real damn good.

Top Bottom