• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

Wish I didn't have Auto Update on... I don't care about a few frame drops here and there, with Supersampling it looked amazing and ran a damn site better than standard PS4 anyway, stupid fucking move ND.

So...if I play this game on a 4k TV my options are 4k/30 fps or 1080p/60 fps with better shadows?

It looks like we still get 1800p with minor drops on 4k sets. It looks like it only applies to Pro owners with 1080p TV's. At least that's how I understood it. I bought the game for cheap just to see 4k and HDR on my TV. I think it looks gorgeous and I prefer 1800p at or close to 60fps over 4k with locked 30fps. It still looks amazing at 1800p.

I played the game for about a few hours and then caught the rest on youtube lol. But anyways, I didn't notice the frame drops at all. Whatever it is, I think it's minor and not a big deal. But people want to make it a big deal then this is what you get.

ZeroCDR

Well my PS4 is off and hasn't downloaded anything yet, what's the best way to block this bullshit update? I'll turn off my internet to start.

R3TRODYCE

Hah maybe they should have left the PRO in the oven a bit longer. I'd be all over it because I like new hardware but it's been really mediocre.

kyser73

Hah maybe they should have left the PRO in the oven a bit longer. I'd be all over it because I like new hardware but it's been really mediocre.

The Pro is fine and there are plenty of games that make good use of it. ND fumbling the ball on this and UC4 Pro patches is disappointing but using it as some kind of stick to make general statements about the hardware is nonsense.

onQ123

Thank you Naughty Dog for showing people that they don't really want that base mode option as much as they thought they wanted it.

I do think its important for a Sony dev to uphold the guidelines Sony set out. And it was more than 1-2 frames. Maybe they found more instances. DF didn't test every area, it was just a quick look and found multiple instances.

I suppose native 4k 30 is still in for downsample so people crying about base modes remember that.

What's next, they're going to downgrade UC4's 1440P mode to 1080P because there's a 1fps dip during a really intense chase scene?

jett

D-Member
Developers really need to start giving players options.

Huh, don't get why they'd bump the resolution all the way down to 1080p.

If there were only minor drops at 1800p, wouldn't something like 1440p be a good way to prevent drops while retaining supersampling for 1080 TVs?

Maybe the game still dropped frames at 1440p. Who knows.

Consider this another vote for a slider ND.

Simple shadows, ss, and unlocked 60 on one end and current mode on the other. Seems simple. Should never remove functionality imo, unless crucial.

KORNdoggy

Unfortunately they will never be able to please everyone but I think they did the right thing. Performance over IQ was the right way to go.

Yeah, because those 2 dropped frames every now and then was totally damaging the experience. Please.

They've just killed yet another reason to even bother buying the pro if you're a 1080p set user. Fucking dumb.

Everyday i think the PS4 Pro is a waste of money right now.

I can't agree, just some devs making dumb ass moves... Others look great TF2, R&C.

For 1080p users, myself included, the Pro version of TLOU is now just a bog standard PS4 version with worse IQ. Oh and nicer shadows in 60fps? I couldn't give a shit about that, especially when there's jaggies and shimmering everywhere, which was once removed in the previous update thanks to the supersampling provided that performed pretty well anyway.

Great, thanks ND
/s
for taking a feature out of your game which been paraded around as one of Pro's key benefits for 1080p users. I had started to play through TLOU again but no reason to carry on the same experience I had on PS4 now.

FuturusX

Is there a community manager that could shed some light on the thinking, perhaps even put the old mode back in addition the changes in 1.08?

The Pro is fine and there are plenty of games that make good use of it. ND fumbling the ball on this and UC4 Pro patches is disappointing but using it as some kind of stick to make general statements about the hardware is nonsense.

No, it isn't fine. It's being positioned as something it's not, and that's causing developers issues when they try to support it.

This could be another bug, I remember a similar thing happened with shadows in the 60fps version that everyone thought was a downgrade. It turned out to be a bug that got fixed.

ND guys and gals - Stop reading NeoGAF.

That comment that one of you made at a panel (was it Druckman?) about GAF being full of "noise" is true. And it's only getting worse.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Thanks to everyone that whined about the minor drops... thanks for nothing.

The expected result was for ND to fix the problem areas that dropped, not to simply flip a switch that forced 1080p and call it a day.

Sure, it takes some resources to fix it properly, but Sony should be covering that dev time cost to show that they and their first party developers are 100% supporting the new features of their new $400 Pro console.

This is a really bad look for them.

I'm hoping that ND is still hard at work fixing the problem areas... but who knows

People were asking for a base PS4 mode for 1080p owners. ND gave you one better with locked 60fps and high quality shadows yet some are still unsatisfied?

PS4 Pro has the best version of The Last of Us now.

Ricky_R

People were asking for a base PS4 mode for 1080p owners. ND gave you one better with locked 60fps and high quality shadows yet some are still unsatisfied?

PS4 Pro has the best version of The Last of Us now.

I'm sure most were asking for an option.

ND's pro modes have been really underwhelming imo. I assume it's just because they're busy but it's weird considering they are inarguably sony's flagship studio.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
lol. OK, this is seriously amateur hour from ND if it's true. They really couldn't downsample from 1600p instead? Downsampling removed from 4K mode as well? Why the hell would they do that??

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah stop reading gaf. How fucking stupid do you have to be to do this. The vast majority of gamers don't give a Fuck about minor framerate drops.

Fisty

Is there not a way to force 4k mode on a 1080p set and at least get some downsampling at 30fps? This is NOT what I want in regards to 1080p support on the Pro.

leng jai

Have to laugh at the posts blaming Neogaf in this thread. This is clearly either a bug or ND not putting in the effort to make it run at higher resolution. They least they could have done is leave in the 1800p option in the first place.

ND's pro modes have been really underwhelming imo. I assume it's just because they're busy but it's weird considering they are inarguably sony's flagship studio.

I dunno all the demos of Pro I saw before release were Horizon and First Light. ND had nothing for Sony on their UK tour, no U4 or TLOU demonstrations. In terms of tech and Pro support ND seem to be lagging behind both Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games. We'll see if anything new shows up at PSX though with proper Pro support from them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There are plenty of other games where the Pro is significantly better than the base PS4. The differences will only get bigger.
Well, this game on Pro is now better or the same than on base model. No longer worse in any way technically! People got exactly what they asked for, but they didn't ask the right question, lol.

I wanted a 60fps mode with better shadows, so this is ok for me, as they stood out in the presentation more than the resolution did
IMO, there weren't even that many shadows that were noticeably affected by this, but resolution improvement due to supersampling is literally visible everywhere.

Max_Po

Banned
Honestly, not worth it. The game looked incredible downsampled and it's not like the performance was unplayable. Pretty bad choice here in my opinion.

You can thank Digial_Foundry for that !

few dips which were acceptable .... really surprising and disappointing in my opinion .... from Naughty_Dog!

Boooo !

oSoLucky

No, it isn't fine. It's being positioned as something it's not, and that's causing developers issues when they try to support it.

Sony is positioning it as a slight upgrade over the PS4 that provides better/more stable framerates and better IQ, especially for those who own a 4k TV. How is that something it's not? There's complaints all over about the Pro not having enough marketing or message but you're suggesting that they're overselling its capability?

Top Bottom