• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

Yeah, because those 2 dropped frames every now and then was totally damaging the experience. Please.

They've just killed yet another reason to even bother buying the pro if you're a 1080p set user. Fucking dumb.

2016-11-1116_17_40-thj7usi.png

Sustained drops to the low 50s and constant fluctuation at the best of times. It was damaging the experience; wobbly 50-ish framerates on a 60Hz screen appear very stuttery. Dropping all the way down to 1080p seems like going from one extreme to the other, but who's to say whether they tried 1440p and couldn't make it work. People in the last thread were reporting that Left Behind was running even worse than the base game in 1800p mode.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was going to rebuy this. Was.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sustained drops to the low 50s and constant fluctuation at the best of times. It was damaging the experience; wobbly 50-ish framerates on a 60Hz screen appear very stuttery. Dropping all the way down to 1080p seems like going from one extreme to the other, but who's to say whether they tried 1440p and couldn't make it work. People in the last thread were reporting that Left Behind was running even worse than the base game in 1800p mode.
1440p could still have had some drops, but really, as long as it's not worse than PS4 (and how on earth could it be...) it would have been fine. Really though, ND should have some dynamic resolution solution in place already. I understand if such a thing was not feasable here though. What would have been feasible is to leave the 1800p/1600p/whatever supersampled mode as an option in 60FPS mode. Also, why the hell did they remove supersampling from the 30FPS mode?

Seriously considering returning this fucking PS4 pro. FFXV issues then ND dropping supersampling is nuts.

Sony you're drivimg me toward upgrading my PC.

Yarbskoo

Fine with me, since this is how I would prefer to play anyway, but I'm not sure removing the high quality mode option for 1080p users was a good idea.

Are you fuckin' kidding me? I'm so choked right now. I was so excited to play my favorite game of all time with super high image quality. I don't give a fuck about a slightly smoother framerate. Unreal. I won't bother replaying it on my 1080p TV now. What a stupid decision.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is there not a way to force 4k mode on a 1080p set and at least get some downsampling at 30fps? This is NOT what I want in regards to 1080p support on the Pro.

A 1080p TV won't accept a 4K signal.
Downsampling to 1080p has to happen in the console/PC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great. As always, the loudly yelling vocal minority gets their way :-/

1800p at 50+ FPS was A-OK. This is not a twitch shooter, it did not require a rock solid 60 FPS at all times. sigh ..

Did you expect PS5 for a SKU that is $100 over the Slim?
Obviously not smart guy. I did expect supersampling on a 1080 with games like last of us. Removal of something like that irks the shit out of me. If ND had made other graphical improvements besides shadows I would be less butt hurt about it.

Also, why the hell did they remove supersampling from the 30FPS mode?
The only evidence they did is one guy (correction: two guys now) in this thread saying the jaggies look the same to him. They might have done so, but I wouldn't say it's certain. Anyone on a 1080p display want to post screens in the same place on high framerate and 30fps lock modes?

Did they take out the 4K/30fps mode at 1080p as well? I just turned on 30fps and the IQ still looks bad.
Can you take a screenshot, then turn on 60fps mode and take the same screen?

Yarbskoo

Did they take out the 4K/30fps mode at 1080p as well? I just turned on 30fps and the IQ still looks bad.

See, now I'm confused again.

Maybe they broke something?

Not that I really care. I just got a PS4 Pro today with the Uncharted collection, and switching from that to the original 30fps PS3 copy is painful. Literally gave me a headache.

So I won't be playing in 30 frames mode for TLOU anyway.

This iterative consoles thing is going to be a bumpy ride.

I hope this is just a bug and that a new patch gives players the option to select high resolution modes in 1080p.

People paid for awesome image quality. Others paid for improved performance. Developers need to satisfy both groups or face the outrage from frame and pixel counters.

Nameless

At least give us the option. I've been replaying here & there since getting a Pro and the dips in fps were minor and sporadic. Less dramatic than the drop in image quality. Shimmering is back when you zoom to aim, environments are no longer silky smooth, and the character models lose that bullshot-ish quality. Instantly felt like a downgrade.

onQ123

Why remove the option for 30fps down sampled mode? That mode was perfectly fine.

Because it went from only rendering in a UHD frame buffer to rendering in HD for HDTV & UHD for UHD TV.

I think it's just a quick fix so that no one can complain about it running worse on PS4 Pro until they can actually use some of the added features of the PS4 Pro GPU.

Notice that neither one of ND games use checkerboard rendering , geometry rendering , dynamic rendering or anything I think they are working on something

Velikost

Too many devs continuing to drop the ball with PS4 Pro support.

13ywPzPJdfhmBG.gif

I've been keeping mine sealed to see how this all shakes out, but it's not looking good right now.

Kinyou

Not sure why they don't just give an option to make everyone happy. They were already willing to do this with the 30 fps lock

The 60 fps 1080p and 30 lock modes look the same when you flip between them, except for framerate of course, jaggies and shimmering are there. 60fps mode, fine for framerate lovers but why on earth 30 lock didn't retain the supersampling IQ I have no idea, there's no reason for the 30 lock mode to be there with this update when IQ and shadow wise they now look the same.

Rellik

At least give us the option. I've been replaying here & there since getting a Pro and the dips in fps were minor and sporadic. Less dramatic than the drop in image quality. Shimmering is back when you zoom to aim, environments are no longer silky smooth, and the character models lose that bullshot-ish quality. Instantly felt like a downgrade.

They should be giving you a refund.

Not sure why they couldn't have just left the option in or lowered the resolution down to 1440p like Uncharted 4, seems kind of like a big "fix" for a small problem.

Top Bottom