• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

Jacob4815

[UPDATE 17-09-2017]

PATCH 1.09:RESOLVED!!

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ption-to-toggle-supersampling-for-1080p-users

[UPDATE 11-01-2017]

First and original feedback thread is back online:

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ption-to-toggle-supersampling-for-1080p-users

UPDATE 7-12-2016
Useful link to inform ND about the issue:

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...stions/17346652-please-put-supersampling-back
EDIT: All threads on SS removed.

The following two links were removed from the public list after targeting more than 500/600 votes.
Labeled "Waiting for moderation approval"

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ch-1-08-1080p-supersampling-removed-from-30fp

UPDATE 6-12-2016

Digital Foundry video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8H0vOfIL0

There is Tom's video. Now you can stop blaming DF for this issue.

Naughty Dog COMPLETELY fixed the frame-rate when running at 1800p (the 4K mode). It's buttery smooth and better than it has ever been.

They didn't remove super-sampling to improve performance. That is the take-away here. They actually went in and solved the real problem.

Which completely changes this issue - why on earth would they remove super-sampling if they solved the performance problems then? THAT is what does not make any sense. IT's either a bug or...I dunno, I can't explain it. It is wrong of them to do that. They definitely dropped the ball here.

I still think Sony needs to implement this feature at an OS level and let users decide for all games.

UPDATE 4-12-2016

They edited the old novembre PS Blog article about the Last of Us features on PRO. Before the editing, supersampling was listed.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/10/uncharted-4-and-the-last-of-us-remastered-on-ps4-pro/

So the removing from 30 fps mode is probably not a glitch.

However, those using PS4 Pro with a standard high-definition (1080p) display will also benefit. Uncharted 4 will render at the highest resolution and downscale the super-sampled image to 1080p, resulting in noticeably crisp and smooth graphics. Meanwhile, The Last of Us Remastered will feature high-quality shadows while maintaining a high level of performance.*

*This post has been updated to reflect a change with regards to PS4 Pro’s benefits for The Last of Us Remastered running on standard 1080p displays. For more information on the update, visit this link.

UPDATE 3-12-2016

SUPERSAMPLING IS REMOVED FROM THE 30 FPS MODE TOO.
NO SUPERSAMPLING AT ALL AFTER PATCH 1.08

Shadow problems:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225908475&postcount=519

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous story:

http://community.us.playstation.com...08-and-Left-Behind-1-02-Updates/td-p/46064531

In an update to The Last of Us Remastered today, we introduced bug fixes and optimizations that will ensure a consistent and high level of performance on the PS4 Pro. Now, when running The Last of Us Remastered on the PS4 Pro on a standard high-definition display, the game will run natively at 1080p and offer high-quality shadows when running at its high-framerate mode.

1080p users (and only them) are now forced to 1080p native with high-quality shadows. Framerate should be locked 60fps.
But they removed supersampling from 1800p, so now it looks like image quality is worse and very jaggied.

Is the supersampling removed from the 30 fps mode (4k native) too?
To be verified.

Natels

I just checked it and I'm pretty sure there is no downsampling at 30fps as well.

Exact same jaggies on both

Elios83

LOL hopefully now people who cried about slightly lower frame rate won't cry about the loss of supersampling as well :p

Honestly, not worth it. The game looked incredible downsampled and it's not like the performance was unplayable. Pretty bad choice here in my opinion.

LOL hopefully now people who cried about slightly lower frame rate won't cry about the loss of supersampling as well :p

Unfortunately they will never be able to please everyone but I think they did the right thing. Performance over IQ was the right way to go.

What the hell.

Guess people asking for a base mode option will be happy.

I'm not happy though.

Not going to bother with my planned replay.

leng jai

Can't complain too much if it's locked 60fps, not really a big upgrade from the base PS4 in that case though aside from shadows.

It's ironic that out ND's Pro enhancements have been some of the most underwhelming.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Why not let the player decide with in game settings?

Because some very loud dumbasses wouldnt stop shouting from the rooftops that PS4 Pro makes performance worse for most games.

Heres your better performance and thats the end of that.

LewieP

Doesn't it run at a1080p 60fps on a standard PS4? So all you're getting from the Pro is improved shadows?

wow that is fucking stupid. The drops on the 1800P mode was VERY minor and not worth even fucking removing over. This is why these headlines and stuff are just a waste.

Wow HQ shadows i'm sure people will be very impressed on the Pro. :/

Can't complain too much if it's locked 60fps, not really a big upgrade from the base PS4 in that case though aside from shadows.

It's ironic that out ND's Pro enhancements have been some of the most underwhelming.

Hey! They're busy working on the Last Of...

Oneself

Drama queens and click bait headlines won.
At least it runs butter smooth now (locked 60fps from what I saw) and still looks very good, jaggies included.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I wanted a 60fps mode with better shadows, so this is ok for me, as they stood out in the presentation more than the resolution did, but very odd it's mandatory for 1080p users rather than an option. I guess 4K users can only use the pre-patch setup then?

Had the game installed a couple of days ago to enjoy my Grounded + playthrough, that I had been saving up for over a year, in all its downsampled glory.

I won't bother now though, thanks for fucking nothing.

Harp

Well I hope DF wont know complain that the game no longer is super sampled. Considering they never brought up the fact the game dropped 2 frames because of the higher resolution.

I also hope they understand when you focus on Click bait, it typically isn't good for gamers.

orochi91

Well I hope DF wont know complain that the game no longer is super sampled. Considering they never brought up the fact the game dropped 2 frames because of the higher resolution.

I also hope they understand when you focus on Click bait, it typically isn't good for gamers.

Is that what all the hoopla was about? A loss of ~2fps?

Huh, don't get why they'd bump the resolution all the way down to 1080p.

If there were only minor drops at 1800p, wouldn't something like 1440p be a good way to prevent drops while retaining supersampling for 1080 TVs?
Agreed.

Seems like ND overreacted in this instance.

zoozilla

Huh, don't get why they'd bump the resolution all the way down to 1080p.

If there were only minor drops at 1800p, wouldn't something like 1440p be a good way to prevent drops while retaining supersampling for 1080 TVs?

Tagyhag

I mean, I'm glad they chose performance over graphics, but I never understood why developers are so afraid of giving people options. Just add this mode but keep the older one as well.

We're not stupid.

kanuuna

That absolutely blows for the photomode. I was looking forward to playing the game again supersampled and snap some 4K screenshots along the way.

Edit: Setting the 30 fps lock to on runs the game at 4K? Is this confirmed?

Mr_Moogle

I don't understand why they can't just give users two options with a small amount of text explaining the difference.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

"The Last of Us Remastered PS4 Pro vs PS4 Gameplay Framerate Test"

Mm, yes, what appalling click bait.

KyleCross

Did... they seriously go from 1800p all the way down to 1080p because the performance dropped 1-2 frames every now and then...?

Can't wait to see what Digital-Foundry has to say about this, I can't imagine this was the outcome they were hoping for when they made this known.

leng jai

I'm not sure why but it seems like almost all the developers are allergic to providing actual information and mode descriptions in game. You should have search on the internet to know what each mode actually does.

Seems like 1440p would have been the way to go, but oh well. When you have two distinct modes, a 30FPS focusing on eye candy one and a 60FPS one focusing on performance, you don't need the 60FPS one also focusing on eye candy at the expense of performance.

Did... they seriously go from 1800p all the way down to 1080p because the performance dropped 1-2 frames every now and then...?

Can't wait to see what Digital-Foundry has to say about this, I can't imagine this was the outcome they were hoping for when they made this known.
Pretty sure in their video, they said 1440p would have been a better compromise. ND fucked up

I assume 1800p is still there for UHDTV owners.

Maybe another patch will come and they just removed it because it was more than 1-2 frames if I recall and went against Sony's guidelines and they're a Sony dev.

Problem with frame rate vs resolution is there's many who will favour either. You buy a Pro expecting downsample. You can play 60fps on PS4 already.

Thelasrword will be fuming right now

Top Bottom