• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

teaveee

Best Buy put up some switch accessories for pre-order today. Good way to use the Visa Checkout $25 of $100 promo. I ordered the BOTW amiibos and a charging grip and got $25 off.

FWIW, from reading press impressions from Switch demos, it sounds like many/most people actually prefer using Joycons in the Joycon holder over using the Pro Controller. One article I read said there's even a screen at the start of Zelda that recommends you use Joycons instead of the Pro Controller.

Really? I wouldn't have expected that.

deleted

Oh it's not about foresight, it's a deliberate decision on their part.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it changed at some point.

Exactly, didn't Nintendo issue a statement where they said that it's technically possible, but they didn't allow it yet, because people won't realize before it's too late that you can't take the games on the HDD with you?!

I guess they'll put that option behind some warnings after a while and then allow it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
FWIW, from reading press impressions from Switch demos, it sounds like many/most people actually prefer using Joycons in the Joycon holder over using the Pro Controller. One article I read said there's even a screen at the start of Zelda that recommends you use Joycons instead of the Pro Controller.

Best Buy put up some switch accessories for pre-order today. Good way to use the Visa Checkout $25 of $100 promo. I ordered the BOTW amiibos and a charging grip and got $25 off.

Thanks for this info. I still lean toward the pro controller, but went ahead and preordered a charging grip in case it does end up not great or impossible to find at launch as I don't want to hassle with using the tablet to charge joycons as I won't have my dock super accessible in my tv stand. I'll cancel it and preorder the pro if it come available though mostly likely.

Also preordered Horse and Archer Link and Zelda Amiibo despite my Amiibo shelf being full. Don't care for the guardian or goblin one.

We dont need to go too far down the rabbit hole to get to basic data support. It would be highly unlikely to put USB on the dock and not have it support the USB data lines. The ethernet adapter support really closes the door on any technical concerns.

The issues would be maters of practicality. External HDD based games would crash when Switch was removed from the dock.

So the Switch would have to copy the game over to internal memory at boot, which would be like installing the game ever time you boot it.

I love cheap external hard drives, but heck with my Wii U I used a USB stick for one port and size simplicity. You could have multiple microSD cards for a reasonable price. Not the best price per GB, but the physical size can't be beat.

I think another, alternative implementation could be to have the ability to download games onto a HDD for storage only. Games would only be bootable once moved onto the system itself. I think most people could fit whatever they are currently playing onto a 128GB or smaller card.

Just get a pro then. Only get joy cons if you think you want more than two player motion controlled games, are want to do 4 player MK or whatever with the joy cons as individual controllers.

Otherwise, the pro controller is $70 vs. $80 for a joycon pair plus $30 for the charger grip, or $15 for a third party non-charging grip (GameStop has some up).

seems the best idea. I have a 20% off deal for accessories on launch day that's why I was wondering. if there was a grip packed in with them I'd get the joycons.

Nerazar

Just takes a little thinking outside your box and some empathy to see why thing that don't negatively affect us can be bigger issues for others.

Well, I do empathize with people in that situation, but it's more of a slight nuisance than a problem. Nintendo cannot cater to everyone.

If I want to play with a PS4 on multiple TVs... guess what: I would need to buy that many consoles or carry the whole console with me all the time.

The dock is absurdly priced, yes, I think that Nintendo would still make a profit with $50. But then again, for many people that price would still be too high.

The market (so the competitors) sets the prices and compared to what other companies offer, Nintendo is not too high in the clouds for demanding that amount of money. It's USB-C after all and the dock provides USB functionality.

The situations you describe can be solved by taking the dock with you, since you only have one device to begin with. It's still lighter and more portable than a XBO / PS4. If that is not a good solution, then you would have to pay up. Finally: in that box, you'll get another HDMI cable and another AC charger, so with that in mind, the dock itself would be priced around $50 anyway.

As I said: the prices are inflated so that you are pushed into buying the whole product (again) instead. Classic marketing / pricing trick which you can see everywhere.

It doesn't matter if you're not happy about it. You're doing it, that's all that matters in the business sense.

Yeahhh I'm fully aware that I am enabling it with my dollars, but I'm just that guy unfortunately. The more I think about it though, I guess the Joy-Cons make a bit of sense considering they have IR Pointers, "HD Rumble", and slide onto the tablet itself, but even then it doesn't really excuse all the other accessories.

So I just wonder: why would you need a second dock? Everything you need for gameplay is inside the box already. The only additional things you might need are:

• A pro controller
  • 2 joycons + (charging) grip

If you have a second TV somewhere and really want to not move the dock along, then I'll get your point. But how many of us really run into that problem? Especially since the Switch can be used everywhere?

Why are they selling it if you dont need it?

My only grip is why they put two different colored joycons on the system. I would love a neon-blue only joycons god dangit. :(

They do sell a two-pack of blue joycons, they also sell a neon two-pack that is the inverse of the neon console. Such that, if you were to buy the neon console, then the neon two-pack, you would be able to switch between dual reds, dual blues, or one of each.

All of these options require dropping $80 though. :/

Memles

They do sell a two-pack of blue joycons, they also sell a neon two-pack that is the inverse of the neon console. Such that, if you were to buy the neon console, then the neon two-pack, you would be able to switch between dual reds, dual blues, or one of each.

This is 100% what I did, but I got it down to $60 using the Best Buy Visa Checkout deal, which helps me justify it.

TrojanAg

I don't think Nintendo wants to go that route until they see how this thing sells this year and when it comes time to decide how they can make it cheaper. Still too early to do that.

We dont need to go too far down the rabbit hole to get to basic data support. It would be highly unlikely to put USB on the dock and not have it support the USB data lines. The ethernet adapter support really closes the door on any technical concerns.

The issues would be maters of practicality. External HDD based games would crash when Switch was removed from the dock.

So the Switch would have to copy the game over to internal memory at boot, which would be like installing the game ever time you boot it.

I love cheap external hard drives, but heck with my Wii U I used a USB stick for one port and size simplicity. You could have multiple microSD cards for a reasonable price. Not the best price per GB, but the physical size can't be beat.

I don't think it's that big a deal to use external HDDs. I mean sure the game crashes if you remove the Switch from the dock. The game will also crash when you remove the cartridge or sd card from the slot. You fix that issue by plugging them back in. If they want to promote it as a home console then there's no problem with treating it as such and supporting other storage options. Everything they've done so far is make it clear that it really is just a handheld with TV out support.

No, they just want you to buy the console itself. They inflate the price perception with accessories, but every hardware producer does that. A 360 controller is never worth $50 to begin with. Just like the Vita Memory Cards are not worth their price (they're like 10 times as expensive as normal SD cards).

So I just wonder: why would you need a second dock? Everything you need for gameplay is inside the box already. The only additional things you might need are:

• A pro controller
  • 2 joycons + (charging) grip

If you have a second TV somewhere and really want to not move the dock along, then I'll get your point. But how many of us really run into that problem? Especially since the Switch can be used everywhere?

Personally I go to my mom's house every few weeks to spend the night/weekend. Occasionally my wife comes. It'd be nice to have a dock there so we can play some games on some down time. At first the cost of an extra dock immediately had me saying absolutely not, but I'm re-considering..

Memles

Personally I go to my mom's house every few weeks to spend the night/weekend. Occasionally my wife comes. It'd be nice to have a dock there so we can play some games on some down time. At first the cost of an extra dock immediately had me saying absolutely not, but I'm re-considering..

Is it that hard to travel with the dock, though? It's just an AC Adapter, the tiny dock, and an HDMI cable—obviously, it may be inconvenient depending on how you have it hooked into a home stereo setup, but it doesn't require a second dock to move to a second location.

-shadow-

Yeah I hope I can get one of my friends to buy a pack of either two red or two blue so I can do the same but with the other colour. That way I can have two sets. But I'll see by that time.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is it that hard to travel with the dock, though? It's just an AC Adapter, the tiny dock, and an HDMI cable—obviously, it may be inconvenient depending on how you have it hooked into a home stereo setup, but it doesn't require a second dock to move to a second location.

It's the inconvenience for most. Especially with the cords since many will have them organized with other tv/home theater wires with velcro or zip ties etc.

Though I suppose one could just buy another charger and hdmi cable to leave at there other tv and then just move the dock and that would be cheaper than buying another dock.

Nerazar

Why are they selling it if you dont need it?

Because if, say, 500 people buy that product for that price, they have a nice revenue coming out of it. It's aimed at a small percentage of users who really need / want that second dock somewhere. I'm not among those, but I can understand why it is needed and why the price is too steep for most people.

Maybe it's foreshadowing a "Switch Go" which does not have a dock in the box and is sold as a handheld device which can be combined with a Switch Dock to get the TV mode running with better performance than as a handheld. It may still be called "Switch" because of the Joycons, but hey, now I'm speculating.

What I want to say is that companies oftentimes put random stuff out there to accompany a console launch. I never needed anything but the box and/or controllers even though every manufacturer pushed way more things into the market. But it's nice to have options, it seems. This and the psychological game of "we're putting so much value into the box!".

I mean not really I guess, but I would have to buy an extra AC adapter and HDMI cable. Would probably cost around 30-40 bucks total. Cheaper than 90..better than nothing?

JCX

I don't have a use for it as I only game in my mancave, don't have kids etc.

But I can easily see why others would want a second dock.

Easy moving between a main area TV for the kids/families to use or during parties and the gaming room/media room/mancave/whatever where the Gaffer does their gaming.

Use at multiple households. Lots of uses there, people that go back home regularly and want to game with parents/siblings, divorced families where they want the kids they share custody of to be able to bring their switch along without having to unhook the dock everytime.

Specfic uses for sure, but it's the same problem with people not seeing why not having the charger grip attached is such an annoyance for some. People to easily dismiss other's usages and needs when they don't mirror their own.

No charger grip is no problem for someone who'll regularly switch and/or have the dock easily accessible. But it's a kick in the nuts to the console only gamer who's already annoyed that they have to buy this hybrid device to play Nintendo games when they'll never use the tablet an would like to stick it back in a shelf in their tv cabinet out of site--but have to buy a $30 charger grip to do that as otherwise its a pain to regularly get to the tablet to charge joycons.

$90 dock is absurdly priced, but most don't care as they have no use to have it docked to more than one TV. But it stings for a divorced parent wanting his children to be able to easily play switch on TV at both mom and dad's house. Or the family saving to buy one who'd like to easily be able to move it between the big screen in the living room to a secondary TV so their kids can play when they want without causing fights over a TV.

Just takes a little thinking outside your box and some empathy to see why thing that don't negatively affect us can be bigger issues for others.

Their goal is for many people to buy this so if you're at a buddy's place you can dock your Switch at their place. If they don't have one, then you're in the same boat as if you wanted to bring you PS4 or XB1 somewhere on vacation. I agree the dock is expensive, but outside of a small subset of hyper enthusiasts (gaf), I can't see anyone really needing multiple docks.

My game pad still works fine, my Wii U pro controller too, but 3 different DS4 have broken on me (triggers). I'll pay more for Nintendo controllers, I've never had one break on me going all the way back to the NES.

specdot

My game pad still works fine, my Wii U pro controller too, but 3 different DS4 have broken on me (triggers). I'll pay more for Nintendo controllers, I've never had one break on me going all the way back to the NES.
Oh don't do that. I've had N64 controllers and Game Cube controllers whose thumb stick would just dangle off center. Wii remotes stop functioning and stop connecting with my Wii and the same thumb stick problem with the Wii nunchuck. In that same light, my PS2, PS3 controllers still work fine and I've had 3 Dualshock 4's since launch and they work flawlessly. Let's stop acting like your precious Nintendo is safe from hardware malfunction.

Oh don't do that. I've had N64 controllers and Game Cube controllers whose thumb stick would just dangle off center. Wii remotes stop functioning and stop connecting with my Wii and the same thumb stick problem with the Wii nunchuck. In that same light, my PS2, PS3 controllers still work fine and I've had 3 Dualshock 4's since launch and they work flawlessly. Let's stop acting like your precious Nintendo is safe from hardware malfunction.

I had to replace my pack in PS3 controller due to triggers too. I was giving my personal experience and I am a huge Nintendo AND PS4 fan. I have bought 2 PS4 pros and 1 PS4 so far, so let's not assume I only like Nintendo. Never had any Xbox Duke/S or 360 controller issues either. Did I say Nintendo controllers don't have problems? Nope, I said I'VE never had any problems. Personal experience is weighted heavily by all people.

Top Bottom