• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PROMETHEUS Full Theatrical Trailer (2:32) + International UK trailer (2:47)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

Several of the large scale shots are pretty reminiscent, such as the Prometheus traveling in the planets atmosphere and the ship landing.

Its just that there really aren't any other recent sci-fi films other than Avatar that properly display absolutely huge scale outer space/planet settings, so its kinda natural to see a resemblance, even if faint.

There might be one-off shots here and there but in terms of tone, atmosphere, texture and mood they couldn't be more different.

Dead

well not really...yet
Its not a surprise that a 2nd movie is at least being planned since the original idea was to make 2 films

There might be one-off shots here and there but in terms of tone, atmosphere, texture and mood they couldn't be more different.
I don't disagree

filler

Banned
So if this ends up being a big success at the box office, won't the studio do something stupid, like an Alien remake?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So Drew McWeeny says that a prequel to this prequel is already in the design stages:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-...nd-imax-trailer-reveal-all-sorts-of-new-clues

Drew McWeeny? Isn't that Jonah Hill's character from Superbad?

Utoxd.jpg

duckroll

Several of the large scale shots are pretty reminiscent, such as the Prometheus traveling in the planets atmosphere and the ship landing.

Its just that there really aren't any other recent sci-fi films other than Avatar that properly display absolutely huge scale outer space/planet settings, so its kinda natural to see a resemblance, even if faint.

I think both Avatar and Prometheus have that "80s hardcore military space" look in terms of general mechanical design, interfaces, and lighting. Aside from that though, Avatar's alien world and Prometheus' alien ship have completely different art directions and look very, very different in tone.

raphier

Banned
The control panels of the ship look similar. That's about it.

the landing sequence kind of too and the cryo tubes, which are basically the Link Module re-modeled. But that's a good thing, because it was on the set of Avatar that sparked Ridley Scott to return to Scifi. And inflluence Spielberg to make tintin in CGI 3D.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Considering EVERYTHING in Avatar was ripped off some other work, complaining about other films being superficially similar is quite laughable.

Cameron is technically gifted but creatively barren.

Not a huge fan of the spaceship Prometheus. Design smells of that Transformers bullshit of adding unnecessary metal parts on to things. Everything inside looks amazing though.

You know, something's been bugging me about all of this.
We know we're going to see something about the Space Jockey. We know there's a gigantic mid-air crash, which will cause the Space Jockey ship to plummet back to the planet. There's a lot here leading up to Alien, right?

Here's the thing.

Where does the following image from Alien...fit in?

http://www.fmtaccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Ridley-reveals-Space-Jockey.jpg

Clearly, there's a large, gaping hole in the Space Jockey's ribcage, where something had to have punched outward. Chestburster, obviously.

So if this is the same Space Jockey, it has to survive the crash. If it doesn't, then it cannot be the Space Jockey in Alien, since a chestburster requires a living host.

And if this Jockey survives the crash, then it's rather appropriate for a Jockey to become impregnated. It'd fit rather nicely within the series' fatalistic irony.

So yeah. It's going to be interesting...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
AltogetherAndrews said:
Now I've read everything. Creatively barren, eh?

Yep. Don't confuse special fx with ideas.

Everything Cameron has ever done is deeply derivative and unoriginal.

Anteater

hmm maybe I'm missin something, why are you guys thinking Prometheus will lead to the event of Alien? :eek:

The space jockey ship in alien is reeeeeally old right? Since it was fossilized, or is there a technical reason for that I'm not aware of? Prometheus only took place around 50 years before Alien at most right?

duckroll

hmm maybe I'm missin something, why are you guys thinking Prometheus will lead to the event of Alien? :eek:

The space jockey ship in alien is reeeeeally old right? Since it was fossilized, or is there a technical reason for that I'm not aware of? Prometheus only took place around 50 years before Alien at most right?

What? Prometheus takes place probably hundreds of years before Alien.

Anteater

What? Prometheus takes place probably hundreds of years before Alien.

Really? Is there an official year for the first alien movie? I think I remember reading that it was only like 50 (or was it 70 years) before alien, I'm sure I could be wrong but I want to know the timeline, was it really enough to fossilize the space jockey if it's the same ship?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anteater said:

Keywords: Evolution, Mutation, Transformation.

Now think about the specific technologies that Weyland are interested in based on the viral advertising, and what we've seen them get into in the Alien movies.

Anteater

Keywords: Evolution, Mutation, Transformation.

Now think about the specific technologies that Weyland are interested in based on the viral advertising, and what we've seen them get into in the Alien movies.

No that's not what I'm asking, I'm sure Weyland knows about the existence of the Space Jockey as hinted in the Alien movie, but I'm asking whether the 2 ships are the same, because in the first film, the space jockey seems to be incredibly old, old enough to be fossilized

duckroll

Really? Is there an official year for the first alien movie? I think I remember reading that it was only like 50 (or was it 70 years) before alien, I'm sure I could be wrong but I want to know the timeline, was it really enough to fossilize the space jockey if it's the same ship?

I'm wrong. Lol. Alien took place in 2122, and Prometheus is set in about 2073. :/

duckroll is stoopid!

Yep. Don't confuse special fx with ideas.

Everything Cameron has ever done is deeply derivative and unoriginal.

Yeah, the whole Terminator premise-totally unoriginal. How about having a strong, non-sexualised female lead in a balls-to-the-wall action action film? Pssh, been there, done that.

I'll be the first to agree that Avatar was nothing special, but to accuse the man's entire body of work as being creatively bankrupt is letting your Cameron-hate show a bit too much.

Branduil

Okay, I'm going to make a wide guess based on watching the trailer 3 times: The ship is alive, and it IS an alien. One huge super lifeform that is made up of a colony of smaller lifeforms.

"It's changing."

"What is?"

"The ship."

"They're leaving."

Well that would certainly tie into the whole biomechanical motif of the xenomorph and Giger's work in general.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I'm wrong. Lol. Alien took place in 2122, and Prometheus is set in about 2073. :/

duckroll is stoopid!

Wow. How could something fossilize in that short amount of time? So many questions.

You know it's gonna be a cliffhanger ending as well. Argh, why you hurt me so good, Scott?

Tedesco!

Yeah, the whole Terminator premise-totally unoriginal. How about having a strong, non-sexualised female lead in a balls-to-the-wall action action film? Pssh, been there, done that.

I'll be the first to agree that Avatar was nothing special, but to accuse the man's entire body of work as being creatively bankrupt is letting your Cameron-hate show a bit too much.

Not his entire career. Maybe 1992 onward?

derFeef

Wow. How could something fossilize in that short amount of time? So many questions.

You know it's gonna be a cliffhanger ending as well. Argh, why you hurt me so good, Scott?

You assume that what we are going to see is the only ship/space jockey ever existed, but that is probably not true. Those ... things had history too I would think.

It's not the same ship?

Like I said, the damage to the Alien ship doesn't seem to match up with that of the Prometheus alien ship.

Branduil

This is a lie. You can definitely tell the movie was not made in 2012.

Because it would probably look worse. :D

I definitely do believe that the limitations of technology at the time resulted in the Alien being far scarier than it would be otherwise.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol at the hate.

Avatar succeeded because as a movie it was a unique experience, and as a film there is nothing else out there that has ever looked like it.

but derp a derp, creatively bankrupt for his entire career, despite making movies no one else can make and making some of the most iconic films of all time.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It should be really easy to tell if it's the same ship when you're watching the movie. If they land on a moon that's orbiting a large, ringed planet, then it's (very likely) the same ship.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anteater said:
No that's not what I'm asking, I'm sure Weyland knows about the existence of the Space Jockey as hinted in the Alien movie, but I'm asking whether the 2 ships are the same, because in the first film, the space jockey seems to be incredibly old, old enough to be fossilized

If you read my theorycraft posts in this thread I try and explain it all.

The nub of it is that there is a "pure" form of the alien god's technology (the giant head, and the nice geometrically shaped pods in front of it) we see in the Prometheus trailer, but by the time we get to Alien we have a twisted biomechanoid corrupted version of the same thing.

My thinking has been, putting my writers cap on, how do I engineer a sequence of events getting from A to B, and how do I express that dramatically without resorting to buttload of dry expository sequences.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
PairOfFilthySocks said:

Yeah, that's why Harlan Ellison successfully sued him over the many similarities to the Outer Limits episodes "Soldier" and "Demon with a glass hand".

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Alien Resurrection, Dollhouse, a lot of people dislike the Buffy stuff and in general dislike his writing style. Even Firefly and Serenity get a lot less love these days than back when they came out it seems.

But mostly people will never forgive him for AR

I thought Dollhouse was really good ):!

GhaleonEB

It should be really easy to tell if it's the same ship when you're watching the movie. If they land on a moon that's orbiting a large, ringed planet, then it's (very likely) the same ship.

I think the big tell will be how it settles once it's stopped rolling. If it's situated as the one in the original film is, then we'll know. Scott would surely include a shot viewing it from the same perspective where that the case, it won't be left ambiguous.

Branduil

lol at the hate.

Avatar succeeded because as a movie it was a unique experience, and as a film there is nothing else out there that has ever looked like it.

but derp a derp, creatively bankrupt for his entire career, despite making movies no one else can make and making some of the most iconic films of all time.

Cameron is a great director, but an awful writer.

duckroll

I think the big tell will be how it settles once it's stopped rolling. If it's situated as the one in the original film is, then we'll know. Scott would surely include a shot viewing it from the same perspective where that the case, it won't be left ambiguous.

I would personally prefer the story to have a looser connection to Alien. The Space Jockeys are a race, not an individual being. There should be more than one ship, and more than one of their kind. Prometheus could well be a film which simply shows one group of humans making contact with one such ship and encountering a living member of that alien race, and in doing so we learn through them the nature of this alien race, their motivations in space, and the purpose of their ships.

By doing that, Prometheus can tell a complete and self contained story without being held to the timeline and details of Alien, while also giving us additional context as to why the ship on LV-426 might have been there, and why it was carrying Xenomorph eggs.

I would personally prefer the story to have a looser connection to Alien. The Space Jockeys are a race, not an individual being. There should be more than one ship, and more than one of their kind. Prometheus could well be a film which simply shows one group of humans making contact with one such ship and encountering a living member of that alien race, and in doing so we learn through them the nature of this alien race, their motivations in space, and the purpose of their ships.
Has there ever been a suggestion in the movies that the Space Jockey ship is unique? Is it some EU stuff?

The giant hidden hanger that the Jockey ship lifts out of would certainly indicate that there'd be more than one ship, so I don't see why this has to end with a direct lead into Alien (or how the atmosphere would totally change in 50 years).

Xater

By doing that, Prometheus can tell a complete and self contained story without being held to the timeline and details of Alien, while also giving us additional context as to why the ship on LV-426 might have been there, and why it was carrying Xenomorph eggs.

That is exactly what I am hoping for as well.

Kud Dukan

Holy shit this looks amazing. I've known this was coming, but haven't been paying much attention to it. Now I'm glad I did, because it's almost here and I know next to nothing about the film.

duckroll

Has there ever been a suggestion in the movies that the Space Jockey ship is unique? Is it some EU stuff?

The giant hidden hanger that the Jockey ship lifts out of would certainly indicate that there'd be more than one ship, so I don't see why this has to end with a direct lead into Alien (or how the atmosphere would totally change in 50 years).

It doesn't have to be the same ship, and no I don't believe any EU stuff has been allowed to touch on the origins or true nature of the ship ever. That's why I hope they don't try to tie it up so cleanly that the entire franchise revolves around this one ship and one Space Jockey. That makes the universe feel smaller imo.

Not to side track this conversation too much but I think it is relevant to the bigger discussion happening here... whether or not Prometheus is original.

Every director and filmmaker has a different way of telling stories. Some are more intellectual or "high art" on the surface, some are purely sensory pleasure... etc. With James Cameron his films follow a very traditional film language I think. They are written with less subtly and are very focused around the themes and messages. Visually consistent typically and of supreme visual realism, everything adds up to a very memorable experience. His films seep easily into our sub-concious and stay there. Kubrick will seemingly always be my favorite director because I think a Kubrick film can work on many different levels depending on the audience and therefore they tend to be more re-watchable and organic. But Cameron has a unique ability to capture everyones attention and although his messages may be fairly derivative, they are extremely relevant to our world currently. They typically hit the exact right notes at exactly the right time. Cameron's ability to pull together everything and deliver it when he wants to can only be from the mind of a dedicated artist imo.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
duckroll said:

I think that's exactly what we're going to get. Essentially if you look at what's been made known by Scott/Lindelof is only the start-point and the end-point and a general theme of evolution.

I'm reasonably sure that there's a whole aspect of the narrative that they are methodically keeping under-wraps, although if you watch the new trailer frame-by-frame there's an awful lot of significant stuff shown -perhaps too much even.

I think both Avatar and Prometheus have that "80s hardcore military space" look in terms of general mechanical design, interfaces, and lighting. Aside from that though, Avatar's alien world and Prometheus' alien ship have completely different art directions and look very, very different in tone.

So basically it's awesome space. Aww yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom