• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "leaving the toilet seat up" actually a problem for women?

Two Words

It's a common joke done in tv shows. Usually the husband has a bad habit of leaving the toilet seat up and the wife is irritated by it. Presumably because she falls into the toilet when she sits when the seat is up. I have never lived with a SO, but I grew up around two sisters and a mom and it never once came up.

So yeah, is this just a dumb made up issue or do women actually get bothered by this? It doesn't make sense to me since when I need to sit on the toilet, I look at it. I'm not about to sit on a toilet without seeing if it is clean.

close everything after use and before flushing

Why would anyone leave the lid up, ever? Close it and no one has any room to complain.

Not an issue for me since I keep fucking eye contact with the toilet before sitting down on it. It's a total non-issue for me if a dude does it. Just look down at the toilet before using it.

Sunster

466124_735x390.jpeg

leaving the seat up can kill

my sister and grandmother get fucking livid if anyone leaves the seat up

apparently they don't watch to see whether the seat is down before sitting down?

VeeP

It's an issue. I've been told all my life to put the toilet seat down. Till this day, I still don't understand it. Why not look before you sit? Guys do that.

tcrunch

If you don't put it down the woman has to touch it which is gross. But then if she doesn't put it back up the man has to touch it which is gross.

It's up to you to decide whether good manners to your S.O. is worth having to touch the ring of death.

Luckily if you get a dog or cat they are likely to drink out of the bowl if you don't close the seat and the cover and it alleviates this deadly question entirely.

Linkura

It's a minor annoyance. My husband pisses with the seat down (and sitting obviously), though, so it's never an issue in my house.

What I wonder is how come it's not considered rude to leave the seat down, since the person having to lift it is grabbing something a person just had their ass all over.

Odd little societal quirk, lol.

::edit:: holy shit at the seat splashers in the thread 🤣

In my lifetime, it's only been an issue once with my mom. The rest of the time, she and my brother's girlfriend look before they sit and don't mind if the seat is left up.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
My wife: "Is it so hard for you to put the toilet seat down?"

Me: "easier than it is for you, apparently"

More of a night bathroom run problem. Don't turn on light, chance of sitting down on an open seat greater.

Then turn the fucking light on haha! I wouldn't move around a room at night without a light on, grab and pull that drawstring/switch as you rush in to deposit the goods!

No. My wife doesn't care and I intentionally leave the toilet seat up as I have an overactive bladder and simply pee more than she does.

She doesn't care either way and I don't either. So sometimes it's up sometimes it's down. Doesn't factor into our marriage.

Then turn the fucking light on haha! I wouldn't move around a room without a light on, grab and pull that drawstring/switch as you rush in to deposit the goods!

There's enough ambient light to see the bowl at night in my placement but we have electronic shit everywhere.

TS-08

It's an issue. I've been told all my life to put the toilet seat down. Till this day, I still don't understand it. Why not look before you sit? Guys do that.

The one time I can remember my then girlfriend, now wife almost falling in the toilet after I left the seat up was late one night when she woke up to use the bathroom. We hadn't been living together long and I imagine she was still used to it being down, plus she was groggy. So I basically made it a habit to close both the seat and lid after that. I imagine situations like that are where this arises a lot.

Piers

Keep thinking this is referring to the lid, which I also close after flushing but don't care if people leave up.

jobrro

It sort of seems like a matter of convenience for whoever uses it.

A man might want it up.

A woman will want it down.

It is not hard for a man or a woman to change the toilet to their preferred configuration. I don't really know why "women's complaints" have made it through to mainstream media so much, I have never come across them in real life and grew up with two sisters, perhaps easy laughs, or maybe I just always closed it for some reason. I will agree a toilet looks better shut so prefer to keep it that way generally if anyone else is going to be using it.

I was once woken up in the middle of the night by a loud godammit!!

And I knew I fucked up

Pretended to sleep as my wife stumbled back to bed mumbling, pissed I left the seat up.

Be kind to to your ladies and put that seat down boys.

CryptiK

Its ridiculous. Why the fuck should I do it?
"Is it hard to put the seat up?"

My GF doesn't care, I couldnt imagine living with someone that would.

DogDude

It's like holding the door for women. They appreciate it and its easy enough so just do it. It's good manners even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.

CDX

YEARS AGO, when my sister started complaining about the seat being left up.

I started closing the whole lid.

For some reason she hated that too. But at least she eventually stopped complaining to me about it.

RDreamer

Toilet looks nicer with the lid down, so I put it down afterwards.

Also mostly because otherwise my cat will drink from the toilet and that's nasty.

Van Bur3n

I've had plenty of family members fall in because of it. Even me when I went to take a duce.

It's become a natural habit to just close the toilet all the way when you're done with it. Though not because of concern for others, but my developed obsession with simply keeping things looking clean and organized. Which extended to the bathroom. A closed toilet simply looks better to me upon entering the bathroom than one left open.

I just sit at home so it's not an issue really. Peeing standing up at toilets is gross anyway. Urinals obviously fine, but splashback at toilets is just gross.

Also it's odd that anyone would ever fall in anyway. I make sure the toilet seat is clean before I sit every single time.

It sort of seems like a matter of convenience for whoever uses it.

A man might want it up.

A woman will want it down.

It is not hard for a man or a woman to change the toilet to their preferred configuration. I don't really know why "women's complaints" have made it through to mainstream media so much, I have never come across them in real life and grew up with two sisters, perhaps easy laughs, or maybe I just always closed it for some reason. I will agree a toilet looks better shut so prefer to keep it that way generally if anyone else is going to be using it.

I never understood it either. Both sexes have to use the toilet, but it's on the guy to make adjustments? Oh well. Whatever makes my wife happy and off my back lol.

I mean it's only fair! I have to lift it! She should have to put it down.

Real answer: don't be an animal and just close the lid.

CHC

When I lived with my dad and his girlfriend at the time it was a HUGE problem for her, she would always claim she "fell in" at night if I left it up. She was also insane, though.

But I live with my girlfriend now and I always just fully shut the toilet, lid and all. A) it's gender neutral, and B) it looks nice. I don't want to look at some gaping toilet whenever I walk by.

RuGalz

Told my wife it's not exactly fair that only men have to flip the lid. She stops caring about it after that. It's not like they can assume the seat is always down when they are at someone else's house anyway so just look before sitting...

Stevey

My GF moans when I leave it up.
Her argument is that she has to touch the seat which has germs on it.
My counter is that I have to do the same.
Stalemate detected.
I just put it back down for an easy life.

Who doesn't turn the lights on when going to the bathroom?
In the middle of the night? Me, and I'm a dude. Why would I need to turn on the bathroom light if I know where the toilet is and I'm sitting down? All it's going to do is wake me up more.

The obvious exception is if you're pooping or pissing while standing. But there is zero reason to turn on a bathroom light to pee sitting down.

Top Bottom