• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "leaving the toilet seat up" actually a problem for women?

Oberon

Banned
I don't understand why anyone would put the toilet seat up. Sitting on the cold toilet without a seat is just irritating. Also, just look at the toilet before siting on it, can't be that hard. Why is this even an issue for anyone?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
My GF gives me shit for not closing the whole lid. At first I didn't get it, but then she explained about the amount of bacteria it spreads by flushing without the lid closed which just hadn't really crossed my mind before so I kinda get why she was annoyed by the habit.

That sounds like bullshit to me. Bacteria isn't stopped by a toilet seat.

Personally, it has nothing to do with a toilet seat touching.

It is increasing the chances of falling into the toilet with the seat up. It is not a pleasant experience.

That being said, after being in a male dominate house, I've trained myself to unconsciously to put my hand out first to catch myself in case the seat is left up. Less wet butt that way.

You're probably the wrong person to ask since you've been able to train yourself at this point, but under what circumstances do you sit on a toilet without making sure the seat is down?

Tigress

close everything after use and before flushing

Why would anyone leave the lid up, ever? Close it and no one has any room to complain.

Yep. And then the cats stop trying to go into the toilet and drinking from it. Worse than the dog cause they have to step into the toilet to reach the water. And then they walk over everything (your bed, your counters, your kitchen table).

Tigress

I don't understand why anyone would put the toilet seat up. Sitting on the cold toilet without a seat is just irritating. Also, just look at the toilet before siting on it, can't be that hard. Why is this even an issue for anyone?

Uh, that's not the issue. The issue is when we forget to look and assume the toilet seat is down and instead fall into the toilet.

Did you really think it was because so many women were too lazy or maybe squeamish to just flip the seat down?

It is increasing the chances of falling into the toilet with the seat up. It is not a pleasant experience.

That being said, after being in a male dominate house, I've trained myself to unconsciously to put my hand out first to catch myself in case the seat is left up. Less wet butt that way.

what the fuck? why can't you just look before you sit? this seems like it's completely on you. it's like a guy saying they'd start pissing without looking and end up pissing all over a lid-down toilet.

look before you leap - simple. goes both ways.

Clockwork

Put the lid and seat down, you monsters.

This.

BUT...

The real question is why are so many people blindly sitting down on a toilet? Why is this a thing? I do not understand.

Uh, that's not the issue. The issue is when we forget to look and assume the toilet seat is down and instead fall into the toilet.

Why do you forget? It seems instinctual to me (no thought involved, it just naturally happens). Why would you assume?

I don't get it and I always thought it was a US-only idiosyncrasy. I feel like this complaint has a memetic quality to it and I feel most people complaining would be hard-pressed to actually find a rational explanation for their irritation.

In my case I never raise the seat as I don't pee standing up in my own house... But whenever I close the cover my GF yells at me because she doesn't turn on the lights at night and ends up sitting on the cover. So, yeah... Maybe it's the same thing.

You're all a bunch of nasty heathens. Fucking close the seat AND lid after using the toilet every time, man or woman.

Why else do you people think there's a lid in the first place?

You're probably comfortable doing things a certain way at this point, but you don't need to use your hands. Assuming you're using a computer without the aid of a speech-to-text program, you have functioning eyeballs, which provide you with faster and more accurate sensory information.

JeTmAn81

My wife says she needs the seat down so she can sit at night without falling in. I always put the seat down. I have no personal use for the seat though since I'm a hoverer. #hoverlife

Edit: She does make me mad by refusing the close the toilet lid to keep our kid out. Hypocrisy.

Chococat

You're probably the wrong person to ask since you've been able to train yourself at this point, but under what circumstances do you sit on a toilet without making sure the seat is down?

As I explained, in the middle of the night when there are no lights on. Turning on lights would wake people in 2 bedrooms.

Side note, I find it completely odd that people need to turn the light on at night to get from point A to point B in their own house. Seriously, you can't navigate your own house in the dark?

eizarus

Banned
Do some of y'all fuckers close their eyes when they walk into the bathroom or something? It's not hard to see that the seat is down. Just look and lift it up if it's down.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You're probably comfortable doing things a certain way at this point, but you don't need to use your hands. Assuming you're using a computer without the aid of a speech-to-text program, you have functioning eyeballs, which provide you with faster and more accurate sensory information.
They obviously mean in the dark... but don't let that stop you from being oh so clever

Just close the lid you monsters

Seirith

It's an issue for us because we have cats and they will get in open water and play in it. Honestly, I also think leaving the toilet seat up is gross IMO. I have always been taught to put the seat down before I flush. I don't see why it is such a big deal for men to put the seat down after they are done.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Never made any sense to me since I don’t know why anyone would sit down without looking first. You never know if someone peed all over the seat. If you’re blindly sitting down then you’ve got some balls.

My ex and my other ex were very adamant about it. I don’t get it.

We all need that toilet seat from that one episode of Home Improvement where Tim refurbishes his master bathroom and surprises Jill with an automatically lowering toilet seat.

DavidDesu

It's such a stupid thing to complain about. I've been in the habit for years to lower it when I know others are going to use it, but I don't see why it should be solely on men to always return it to that particular state. Sure men sometimes need to sit down and women always need to sit down so a majority of the time it needs to be down... but also it tAkes like one second to change it to the appropriate usage.

Also I'd say I pee way more than most people so it averages out that it probably needs to be up more than it needs to be down! :p

Anyone who gets genuinely enraged about this is silly.

Chococat

Do some of y'all fuckers close their eyes when they walk into the bathroom or something? It's not hard to see that the seat is down. Just look and lift it up if it's down.

Do you not experience night time where every you are from?

Half of GAF lives in basements, being in darkness should be natural. /s

louiedog

If only someone would invent a device that would throw off just enough light to see this sort of thing. Some sort of light just for night...

Chococat

I'm usually in the habit of leaving the seat down so my cats don't try to get at the toilet water.

Yah, this solve the problem for both sexes. If the lid is down by default, then both have to lift it to use it.

I'm trying to change by own bad habit because of my cat. LOL.

I've had plenty of family members fall in because of it. Even me when I went to take a duce.

It's become a natural habit to just close the toilet all the way when you're done with it. Though not because of concern for others, but my developed obsession with simply keeping things looking clean and organized. Which extended to the bathroom. A closed toilet simply looks better to me upon entering the bathroom than one left open.

This is absolutely bizarre

People fall in? Wtf?

Clockwork

If only someone would invent a device that would throw off just enough light to see this sort of thing. Some sort of light just for night...

Also what does waking up people by turning on lights on the way to bathroom have to do with turning on the actual light once you are in there? You are in a bathroom with a closed door, that shit isn't waking anybody up.

A night light is a good compromise, but it still doesn't explain the strange trend of not looking before you leap.

Chococat

I sleep in a room with blackout curtains. Nightlights are definitely a non starter for me. I get upset when my husband leave is handheld on the bed stand and that fucking thing blinks throughout the night.

And again, it is about not being a dick to other people sleeping. Turn on lights in the middle of the night is a dick move unless you are sick or it is an emergency.

Wildo09

It's not just women, one day I was sluggishly going to the bathroom after just waking up and I proceeded to sit down on the toilet just to fall into the bowl, thankfully my big ass saved me from submerging myself into the water.

Also, I have bad eye sight and it's even worse when I get out of bed in the morning.

When you are so used to the layout of your house and you are in a hurry you can usually just navigate through your house with lights off and do things automatically, especially when you are in zombie mode in the morning.

louiedog

I sleep in a room with blackout curtains. Nightlights are definitely a non starter for me. I get upset when my husband leave is handheld on the bed stand and that fucking thing blinks throughout the night.

And again, it is about not being a dick to other people sleeping. Turn on lights in the middle of the night is a dick move unless you are sick or it is an emergency.

Are you sleeping in the bathroom?

It's such a stupid thing to complain about. I've been in the habit for years to lower it when I know others are going to use it, but I don't see why it should be solely on men to always return it to that particular state. Sure men sometimes need to sit down and women always need to sit down so a majority of the time it needs to be down... but also it tAkes like one second to change it to the appropriate usage.

Also I'd say I pee way more than most people so it averages out that it probably needs to be up more than it needs to be down! :p

Anyone who gets genuinely enraged about this is silly.

TBH, peeing standing up isn't some type of requirement. It's something us men choose to do (well I don't, but yeah..).

It's really odd to read some people in this thread use the logic of 'why are men the only one's who have to do it'..it reads as if some feel it is a requirement to pee standing up, lol.

why would it be a bigger problem than finding the toilet seat down for men ?

Probably because women don't have any other choice, and no one is forcing men to have to stand up to pee. I think it is silly that some women just don't look before they pee, but yeah..it's a pretty different situation because let's be real, us men are the one's changing things up when we really don't have to. That makes it our responsibility, which sounds fair to me.

G.ZZZ

Just pee sitting down. Also, there's a reason a lot of men piss seated down, but if you don't know why it is, you don't need to.

eso76

why would it be a bigger problem than finding the toilet seat down for men ?

(seated pee ftw anyway)

My wife and I always close the lid before flushing. Stops particulates from getting into the room, looks better, and closes off something you could accidentally drop something in.

Chococat

Are you sleeping in the bathroom?

The bathroom borders all the bedrooms. Closing the door does not stop the light from coming out under the door. It is a small house.

Like I said, if you turn on light in the middle of the night in my house, the assumption is someone is sick. It wakes everyone and and we yell out to see if everyone is alright.

eizarus

Banned

It's not just women, one day I was sluggishly going to the bathroom after just waking up and I proceeded to sit down on the toilet just to fall into the bowl, thankfully my big ass saved me from submerging myself into the water.

Also, I have bad eye sight and it's even worse when I get out of bed in the morning.

When you are so used to the layout of your house and you are in a hurry you can usually just navigate through your house with lights off and do things automatically, especially when you are in zombie mode in the morning.
I'd be too worried that I'm split streaming onto the floor.

Pluto

I'm a guy and I HATE when the seat is up because it means someone peed standing up and that means the entire toilet and the floor around it is now sprinkled with piss. And no, it doesn't matter how good someone aims because your pee isn't just one stream, there's always a pee fog that sprinkles everything.

Just pee sitting down!

TBH, peeing standing up isn't some type of requirement. It's something us men choose to do

Probably because women don't have any other choice, and no one is forcing men to have to stand up to pee. I think it is silly that some women just don't look before they pee, but yeah..it's a pretty different situation..

Speak for yourself! Some men have huge penises and cant sit down

I'm a guy and I HATE when the seat is up because it means someone peed standing up and that means the entire toilet and the floor around it is now sprinkled with piss. And no, it doesn't matter how good someone aims because your pee isn't just one stream, there's always a pee fog that sprinkles everything.

Just pee sitting down!

Wait, what?

Nah.

Wait, what?

Nah.

He's right (well except for that single stream thing).

Unless you have like no water in your toilet.

Cleaning up after friends who come over is the worst..the worst is that most guys don't even realize this is happening because they are just so used to peeing standing up in general. Splashback is real, guys.

Speak for yourself! Some men have huge penises and cant sit down

Oh, okay.

Top Bottom