• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

Bebpo

Banned
At least the game has Impulse as a unit. It was cool enough for the intro/early stages which is all I need out of support units. Especially now with Rescue Unit so you don't even need to bring a healer/EN unit it.

Hyakushiki sucks, but if Quattro isn't piloting it I don't expect it to be good. Same with Zeta when Lu is piloting it.

So, at stage 37/38 splits now (did the super robo Shin Mazinger one first) and the story around stage 30-40 is ok but a little dull in that it's literally just the same subplots as Z3 which was not that long ago. I mean in the 30-40 middle area it's like Unicorn plot, FMP novel plot, Eva plot, Shin Mazinger plot and it's like I just did all of this 2 years ago in Z3 zzzz.

V is great, but that's the downside of re-using a handful of the Z3 plots. At least it moves through them REALLY fast. Like holy fuck all the sudden Unicorn stretches and turns green and no one says anything and suddenly next map Red NT-D is completely gone and you're in Green NT-D form and then 3 maps later you'll Full Armor Unicorn. FMP moving fast is good too. I liked how Eva 1.0 start was literally "Hey Shinji, welcome to class -> BEEP BEEP BEEP WARNING -> map starts Shinji is fighting the Angel->2nd angel comes in mid-battle". Because as much as like being anime/manga/novel accurate, when you're 25 maps into the game, the last thing you want is sitting through a 40 minute pre-map intro novel covering everything until the new character gets in their mech for the first time.

Also V has the least grunts in a SRW game in probably 20 years. When I was trying to get my ACE kills (have 26 now, yay), it was the first time I was wishing the game had more grunt filler padding. I haven't even needed to use MAP weapons at all in V because there are so few grunts and without a tag/squad system they go down quick.

Basically the game is non-stop improvements to the SRW formula that's gotten a bit stale over the past 20 years. If they take this and the animation quality/style and do an all new SRW licensed entry next in a couple years it'll be great.

Oh and the 1st press OG units map #2 where they get their upgrade move was like the hardest map in the entire game for me since I'd never used either unit and they were like lvl.20 with no upgrades. Thankfully the real robot one could dodge and counter everything, but the Grunst was useless ><

It can't do shit without custom bonus (lol, 2-range P attacks), has no normal Beam Rifle attack, Clay Bazooka is B in air, and it's only reasonable attack (Beam Rifle Rensha) has a goddamn 110 Morale requirement. It's literally a worse version of Daguza's Jegan. And to make things worse, it has no Mega Bazooka Launcher, while I once had Conroy in his Jegan rack up kills until it ran out of EN because they kept targeting him.

B in air is pretty normal for SRW or should be. Mobile suits are intentionally sub par units in air to air combat and Hyaku Shiki is absolutely one of the units designed for space use only. Not to mention it's kind of a mediocre unit to begin with as just another test bet for prototype systems for future Gundam designs that never actually worked like Rick Dias. Let's not even talk about the pilot who is a washed up has been failing to keep up with a new generation of aces.

Impulse is generally weaker than a goddamn GN-X. And it can't even use Blast/Sword Silhoutte or a Blast->Sword attack without Density.
Besides the Red/Green GN Particle business with cancer and creation of Innovators, there isn't a huge difference in terms of GN drives. It's still a mobile suit based on a power plant that ignores the laws of physics. While Impulse is a battery powered piece of junk because for one reasons or another ZAFT didn't want to supply their "best pilots" with unstoppable warmachines. The only thing Impulse ever had going for it in an SRW game was a pilot with SEED factor and VPS armor.

I've finally gotten around to playing SRW V and man, the experience is totally different when you actually understand the plot. I'm still early on, but the whole desperate mission to space on the Yamato is weirdly engrossing.

On a different note, is the F91 Gundam worth using? I don't have any connection to the Crossbone Gundam people, so I'm thinking of kicking out their pilots and putting in different people, but being unfamiliar with Gundam in general, I don't really know which are the good Gundam and which are the scrubs

I've finally gotten around to playing SRW V and man, the experience is totally different when you actually understand the plot. I'm still early on, but the whole desperate mission to space on the Yamato is weirdly engrossing.

On a different note, is the F91 Gundam worth using? I don't have any connection to the Crossbone Gundam people, so I'm thinking of kicking out their pilots and putting in different people, but being unfamiliar with Gundam in general, I don't really know which are the good Gundam and which are the scrubs

I like it alot personally and find the Crossbone Gundam good as well. The main bad Gundam units are the Hyaku Shiki, the Gundam Mk2, and well compared to a Kamille piloted Zeta the Zeta. It sounds like the Impulse is bad. The grunt units are technically bad as well.

I need to get a MG Crossbone and F91.

Best Ending Requirement Spoilers

So I understand you need 25 Ace pilots in order to get the best ending. I'm still early on, but is it difficult to get that many Aces in this game? Like do I have to carefully balance out kills, or does the game throw enough grunts at you that normal play should see that many Aces?

Bebpo

Banned
It's not difficult, but you do need to keep an eye out a bit and not let a single unit or 3 hog all the kills. I was concerned it'd be difficult, but I just hit 26 ACEs at mission 38, so plenty of time left. If I kept at the even distributing I could probably ACE like 40+ characters by mission 50 since I've got 10 or so of them that only need 10 more kills.

t26

Asides from the Unicorn/Banshee team up attack, are there any other UC Gundam attacks that require their canon pilots?

I know I'm committing Gundam sacrilege, but I tend to throw out the main gundam pilots and put in supporting characters, mainly women, to try balance out the genders of my pilots a little better.

I had Marida in Zeta (she even has Zeta specific lines!) and Haman in Banshee in Z3, and will probably continue using Marida in the Zeta for this game as well. I recall shoving one of the Purus into Crossbone Gundam way back in A2, though I'm not sure if I'll be using them this time around.

Nu Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and ZZ Gundam's strongest attacks require Amuro, Kamille, and Judau respectively.

Bebpo

Banned
So, while I haven't seen the end of yet, being at map 39, having never watched the anime at all, Cross Ange seems...surprisingly enjoyable? Has a lot of plot movement, lots of characters, antagonists, mecha units. Can't tell if I just have a high tolerance for trashy mecha shows, or if SRW just makes bad anime better.

I mean it's waaaaaaaay better than all the Aquarian Evol filler maps in Z3. Then again, maybe Evol would've been more tolerable in a single game SRW like V pacing.

Also on a random note, SRW has a serious problem plot-writing space shows in anymore since so many titles are earth-based. They struggled to make the 2nd half of Gurren Lagann work in Z once they leave orbit, and Yamato was super great for the first 15 maps or so until it drops out of the game entirely for what I assume is until endgame like GL Z3-2. I don't remember GGG Final having this issue in @3, but maybe it did. When they called this game SRW VOYAGE I was expecting the entire game to be an outer space journey that somehow fits in the other shows.

I like SRW games where you just teleport around between worlds and then everything works like SRW K.

So, while I haven't seen the end of yet, being at map 39, having never watched the anime at all, Cross Ange seems...surprisingly enjoyable? Has a lot of plot movement, lots of characters, antagonists, mecha units. Can't tell if I just have a high tolerance for trashy mecha shows, or if SRW just mechs bad anime better.

I mean it's waaaaaaaay better than all the Aquarian Evol filler maps in Z3. Then again, maybe Evol would've been more tolerable in a single game SRW like V pacing.

Also on a random note, SRW has a serious problem plot-writing space shows in anymore since so many titles are earth-based. They struggled to make the 2nd half of Gurren Lagann work in Z once they leave orbit, and Yamato was super great for the first 15 maps or so until it drops out of the game entirely for what I assume is until endgame like GL Z3-2. I don't remember GGG Final having this issue in @3, but maybe it did. When they called this game SRW VOYAGE I was expecting the entire game to be an outer space journey that somehow fits in the other shows.

I like SRW games where you just teleport around between worlds and then everything works like SRW K.

I took the pungle and bought the Blu Rays. Its not an amazing show but I am glad I bought it and dont feel like i am wasting my time watching it.

Must warn you a metric ton of fan service is in the show.

RichyMtl

Neo Member
Just got the game 6 weeks after ordering, stupid canadian customs! Loving it till now and I have to say setting up a Singapour account was far easier than i thought!

Bebpo

Banned
Plot seems a bit messy around where I am. Too many characters, blowing through stuff so fast they don't even mention when you get new attacks sometimes. So many units. It's a bit nuts.

But man, these new animations. Omg. Mazinger Zero/Mazin Emperor G, Eva 13's new spear attack IS SO GOOD, Eva 2's ZA BEAST, the new Mari dynamic rotation cut-in for Eva 8's long range rifle attack, Full Armor Unicorn's new final awakened NT-D attack. So many amazing new animations.

And it's like they read my mind. Every single change I asked for in Z3, even down to the little things are fixed here. Like it bugged me in Z3-2 how Angel #10 with the wavy slicey arms didn't have a physical arm slicing attack and only had an eye cross beam. So now in V Angel #10 has two attacks, the old eye cross beam and AN ALL NEW WAVEY ARM SLICING ATTACK.

Tsukumo

Plot seems a bit messy around where I am. Too many characters, blowing through stuff so fast they don't even mention when you get new attacks sometimes. So many units. It's a bit nuts.

But man, these new animations. Omg. Mazinger Zero/Mazin Emperor G, Eva 13's new spear attack IS SO GOOD, Eva 2's ZA BEAST, the new Mari dynamic rotation cut-in for Eva 8's long range rifle attack, Full Armor Unicorn's new final awakened NT-D attack. So many amazing new animations.

And it's like they read my mind. Every single change I asked for in Z3, even down to the little things are fixed here. Like it bugged me in Z3-2 how Angel #10 with the wavy slicey arms didn't have a physical arm slicing attack and only had an eye cross beam. So now in V Angel #10 has two attacks, the old eye cross beam and AN ALL NEW WAVEY ARM SLICING ATTACK.

Game is really fantastic. Do we know anything about shipped copies/ sold copies?

How likely will a version with all the DLC be released?

Follow up would be: would the dlc and patches be baked in (either on disc or cart for Vita). I am really enjoying this title on the go but also feeling the itch to get the DLC but I don't want to go through the account switching hassle.

Same baked on question goes to Gundam Generations and Breaker 3 (I know Breaker 3 is getting a collected edition but not sure if dlc is voucher or everything is on cart/disc).

I wish in Vita's waning time they would update the firmware to have similar account workings as PS4...

Does sales data for SE Asia ever pop up? Curious how the English language versions of Gundam Breaker 3, SRW Moon Dwellers, SD Gundam G Gen and SRW V have done.

Bebpo

Banned
Game definitely need another track or two for each series. Maybe should've gone for the premium edition. Mazinger Zero having the same old Shin Mazinger OP2 theme feels weird. I feel like Mazinger Zero's theme should be some sort of death metal or something lol

Does sales data for SE Asia ever pop up? Curious how the English language versions of Gundam Breaker 3, SRW Moon Dwellers, SD Gundam G Gen and SRW V have done.

I'd be surprised if they didn't sell well. I know Trails of Cold Steel/Sky is selling well in Asia, almost 1:1 or more with Japanese sales which I think was part of the drive to get these versions out.

Hopefully if sales in Asia match or exceed Japan sales they'll make up for the drying up Japanese market and the non-existent western market.

I'd be surprised if they didn't sell well. I know Trails of Cold Steel/Sky is selling well in Asia, almost 1:1 or more with Japanese sales which I think was part of the drive to get these versions out.

Hopefully if sales in Asia match or exceed Japan sales they'll make up for the drying up Japanese market and the non-existent western market.

I don't think copies sold via import companies like Play Asia are counted in that data, but I'd love to know if this gambit is paying off for Bandai Namco. I'm guessing so since they keep localizing them.

Surprised Play Asia hasn't released their internal sales numbers.

Does the F91 Gundam ever learn any new attacks? I'm trying to decide on how much to invest in it since I like its design, but I'm not sure if it can hang with the other units

manfestival

so the only way to pick up this game is through play asia? Only time I ever bought a game through that website was YEAARS ago for gundam ex vs(awesome game). I might get into imports considering english is now in like every game... just want to know if there are... other ways

so the only way to pick up this game is through play asia? Only time I ever bought a game through that website was YEAARS ago for gundam ex vs(awesome game). I might get into imports considering english is now in like every game... just want to know if there are... other ways

Yes Asia also carries it.

Bebpo

Banned
Does the F91 Gundam ever learn any new attacks? I'm trying to decide on how much to invest in it since I like its design, but I'm not sure if it can hang with the other units

Nope. Don't think it carries over since his upgrade is:

Crossbone X-1

F91 is pretty darn good though. Even in the endgame with almost no upgrades I had Seabook taking out all the grunts with 0% on being attacked and V.B.S.R. counter-attacks. He actually gets hit more in his upgrade lol

Speaking of upgrades, what's up with Awakened Eva 01 having better attacks than Eva 13? Kinda annoying since I like 13 because Kaworu and more variety of attacks, but Awakened hits harder and ha a map attack so it's kinda a bust. Hadn't maxed out Eva 01 by 39 so I don't really want to spend $$$ upgrading both units. Need to pick one -_-

Also speaking of Eva, again on the lack of music tracks in V, Z3 had at least 1 (maybe both?) of the vocal 2.0 movie songs. V doesn't have either. Boooo. I should really custom soundtrack some new tunes, but at 40 maps in I'm almost at the end so not really worth the time.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, I'm looking at the Premium Sound Edition tracklist and while V is nice and at least Namco didn't push a 2 game format on it, I think the one area where the publisher probably screwed the game over slightly is nerfing the in-game BGM list to sell the Premium Sound Edition version. Like ZZ should've had more than 1 track. Same with Mazinger.

If the regular game had instrumental BGMs of a lot of those tracks in the premium edition it'd be fantastic. I'm of the mindset that in SRW you need at least 2 BGMs per most units. 1 for their original unit and then a new BGM for their upgrade unit.

Nope. Don't think it carries over since his upgrade is:

Crossbone X-1

F91 is pretty darn good though. Even in the endgame with almost no upgrades I had Seabook taking out all the grunts with 0% on being attacked and V.B.S.R. counter-attacks. He actually gets hit more in his upgrade lol

Wait,
doesn't Crossbone X-1 join at the same time as F91? Are there two X-1s?
Sorry, I don't know shit about most Gundam series.

Wait,
doesn't Crossbone X-1 join at the same time as F91? Are there two X-1s?
Sorry, I don't know shit about most Gundam series.

According to Akarusu the Crossbone becomes the Crossbone Full Cloth (explains the master grade kit I found) Seabook (kincaid) gets the Crossbone X1 and you dont keep the f91

You know, I'm looking at the Premium Sound Edition tracklist and while V is nice and at least Namco didn't push a 2 game format on it, I think the one area where the publisher probably screwed the game over slightly is nerfing the in-game BGM list to sell the Premium Sound Edition version. Like ZZ should've had more than 1 track. Same with Mazinger.

If the regular game had instrumental BGMs of a lot of those tracks in the premium edition it'd be fantastic. I'm of the mindset that in SRW you need at least 2 BGMs per most units. 1 for their original unit and then a new BGM for their upgrade unit.

I was getting that feeling from some other posts in this thread. My main beef is they dodnt release a premium sound edition with English subtitles. In the battle between extra/non-MIDI music and English subs. English subs win. Hopefully V2 (which is what I imagine is what's next) has an Asian English CE set or the JP CE has English subs. Switch release with English subs would be nice.

.I was getting that feeling from some other posts in this thread. My main beef is they dodnt release a premium sound edition with English subtitles. In the battle between extra/non-MIDI music and English subs. English subs win. Hopefully V2 (which is what I imagine is what's next) has an Asian English CE set or the JP CE has English subs. Switch release with English subs would be nice.

SRWV really felt like a single-release SRW; it didn't leave all to many dangling plot threads. It also gave a bunch of token epilogues to series that haven't even ended in real life (ie, evangelion) so I'm thinking the next one will be standalone or a start of a new series.

Frankly I like the faster pace of the standalones anyways.

Also despite not having a premium sound edition SRWV does come with a robust BGM customization system. You can tag songs to certain series, and basically more or less fix the BGM issue with a little bit of hunting around. There are tons of past SRW BGMs you can steal and plenty of online instrumental remixes.

So I only watched the Nadesico tv series, and uh, what the hell happened in the movie?

Ruri is Captain now, Ryoko is unrecognisable and someone kidnapped Akito and replaced him with fucking Shadow the Hedgehog

Bebpo

Banned
So I only watched the Nadesico tv series, and uh, what the hell happened in the movie?

Ruri is Captain now, Ryoko is unrecognisable and someone kidnapped Akito and replaced him with fucking Shadow the Hedgehog

lol

Yeah the movie was pretty bad when it came out. It was one of those late 90s "let's just turn everything dark and edgy BECAUSE" kinda things like the Escaflowne movie. At least the Cowboy Bebop movie didn't go that direction too much. I don't think anyone I've ever met liked Prince of Darkness, it basically ruined Akito's character and the villains suck.

Also Black Selena is a cool lame mech. It looks cool when it's not moving and is just a "hey this mech looks cool" but it's pretty lame when it attacks and all it does is turn into a ball and ram mechs zzzz Going from YOU GET TO BURNING & Gekiganger punches to bop bop bops and instrumental bgm sucks.

It tends to get into SRW because it's cheap and has very few units to animate and only needs a few maps to do the whole story. Same thing with Gundam 00 movie although that has more units.

I'm hoping that next licensed game when we probably start a new series, licensed SRW can take a break from Gundam 00 movie, Mac F (so thankful it wasn't in V) and maybe Unicorn for a while. Maybe not do Shin Mazinger again so soon after 3 games in a row as well. I think one of the weaker parts of V is simply that a lot of these show plots have just been in 3 games in a row with Z3-1,Z3-2 and BX. If someone's first SRW game was V and they never played those I can see V being even more enjoyable.

manfestival

super close to pulling the trigger on this. shipping states it could be about a month before it actually delivers. What are your experiences with economy shipping? express is tempting but if it doesnt make sense to do it then why bother right?
for the record this will be my first SRW game that isnt OG. What am I in for?

Tsukumo

super close to pulling the trigger on this. shipping states it could be about a month before it actually delivers. What are your experiences with economy shipping? express is tempting but if it doesnt make sense to do it then why bother right?

This is pretty much the GOAT SRW, so you are in for a treat.
As for getting the game, you can easily make a Singapore account, get a gift card, and download the digital version, instead of going through the excruciating torture of economy shipping...

lol

Yeah the movie was pretty bad when it came out. It was one of those late 90s "let's just turn everything dark and edgy BECAUSE" kinda things like the Escaflowne movie. At least the Cowboy Bebop movie didn't go that direction too much. I don't think anyone I've ever met liked Prince of Darkness, it basically ruined Akito's character and the villains suck.

Also Black Selena is a cool lame mech. It looks cool when it's not moving and is just a "hey this mech looks cool" but it's pretty lame when it attacks and all it does is turn into a ball and ram mechs zzzz Going from YOU GET TO BURNING & Gekiganger punches to bop bop bops and instrumental bgm sucks.

It tends to get into SRW because it's cheap and has very few units to animate and only needs a few maps to do the whole story. Same thing with Gundam 00 movie although that has more units.

I'm hoping that next licensed game when we probably start a new series, licensed SRW can take a break from Gundam 00 movie, Mac F (so thankful it wasn't in V) and maybe Unicorn for a while. Maybe not do Shin Mazinger again so soon after 3 games in a row as well. I think one of the weaker parts of V is simply that a lot of these show plots have just been in 3 games in a row with Z3-1,Z3-2 and BX. If someone's first SRW game was V and they never played those I can see V being even more enjoyable.

I'd love to know the rationale behind how they choose which series to include; some stuff like the aforementioned series pop up so frequently that it's almost kind of tiring. But it seems strange to me they'd throw in ZZ gundam after such a long hiatus but don't even bother covering the events of the story... and Daitarn seems so ubiquitous but I'm not even sure why. I think SRW does sometimes pick a series and then just run with it over and over... a bunch of G-Gundam SRWs, a bunch of Machine Robo, a bunch of GGG.

Like I get the feeling that Cross Ange and Yamato probably won't be making many if any re-appearances; they are hard to fit in setting wise. And alot of Gundam shows they throw in end in a "but more adventures are yet to come" way, at least the ones that don't kill everybody off.

Wish they'd bring back stuff like GunXSword, Zoids, NINJA ROBOTS, hell G Gundam is due for a comeback.

There are amazon 3rd party sellers that offer prime 2 day or same day delivery. 86USD for the PS4 and 76 for the Vita.

Bebpo

Banned
I'd love to know the rationale behind how they choose which series to include; some stuff like the aforementioned series pop up so frequently that it's almost kind of tiring. But it seems strange to me they'd throw in ZZ gundam after such a long hiatus but don't even bother covering the events of the story... and Daitarn seems so ubiquitous but I'm not even sure why. I think SRW does sometimes pick a series and then just run with it over and over... a bunch of G-Gundam SRWs, a bunch of Machine Robo, a bunch of GGG.

Like I get the feeling that Cross Ange and Yamato probably won't be making many if any re-appearances; they are hard to fit in setting wise. And alot of Gundam shows they throw in end in a "but more adventures are yet to come" way, at least the ones that don't kill everybody off.

Wish they'd bring back stuff like GunXSword, Zoids, NINJA ROBOTS, hell G Gundam is due for a comeback.

Yeah ZZ feels like an after thought. No story, not that many animations. Feels like they just put it in to do the Plu meets Marida crossover like how Z3 did Char & Amuro meet Full Frontal.

G Gundam would be cool. V Gundam is still the only SRW Gundam that hasn't had a sprite update since the PS1 days. 0079 would be too if it wasn't for A Portable.

Next console licensed SRW will probably have Iron-Blood orphans & Thunderbolt + some classics. I have a feeling they'll do G-Reco but it'll be in a portable title like AGE-3 was in BX. G-Reco unfortunately wasn't very popular. I'd love to have it in the next big budget game though.

I have a feeling they're never going to do Build Fighters because there's so many units to animate. At best I can see it in a portable entry.

I am watch V Gundam again (forst saw it via bootleg Chinese dvds with horrible English subs) I'd love for it to be in a new SRW game. I don't think it was that popular though. I love it. Can't decide if I prefer Zeta or V.

A problem SRW has is there really arent alot of new mecha shows coming out like there used to.

I can see IBO and Thunderbolt come out in the mext SRW game. Build Fighters would be cool. However that raises a question with the Switch what will become of handheld SRW titles. Will we see another 3ds game or will the series go Switch/PS4 with the odd lower budget Switch only release?

Also I wonder how much Bandai influences the games? We literally had a 1min sequence in Unicorn to just show the Jesta Cannon. Wonder if that extends to SRW or do the devs just pick what they like.

All this talk makes me want another crossover SD Gundam game. Also Bandai for the love of God HGUC Victory Gundam units. I'd love a Jamesgun/Javelin HGUC atleast. Id even buy the Zanscare units as well. Also side note Gundam UC really needs to drop its hard on for Zeon vs Federation.

I know I said Gundam needs to move beyond fed vs zeon but I wouldnt mind a new SRW focusing on 0079. Or maybe remakes of the older games. Lol if they get official english subs might as well re-release everything. Id play through Z2 and z3 if I could do it in english.

I dunno, there's alot of untapped fertile ground they haven't really tried yet. Granted there hasn't been a GOOD Mecha show in what feels like forever, everything that's come out seems rather bad.

Star Driver seems like it'd be really easy to fit in. There's a new Aquarion... a new Macross, and a bunch of reviled stuff like Guilty Crown. They could do GoLion again. There are like a million brave series and whatnot to tap into too.

Haven't been many mass market mecha successes outside of Gundam stuff. I'm curious how they'd fit in Thunderbolt. It's less of a "both sides are right and conflict sucks" story and more of a "everybody is an asshole" type of story. Could do something interesting and make all Thunderbolt characters enemy bosses. GBF seems impossible to fit in unless it's like that SRW School spinoff on the DS.

It could be a way to go back to the One Year War era. It is a OYW side story after all. Perhaps even add Origin missions as a prologue.

Bebpo

Banned
I dunno, there's alot of untapped fertile ground they haven't really tried yet. Granted there hasn't been a GOOD Mecha show in what feels like forever, everything that's come out seems rather bad.

Star Driver seems like it'd be really easy to fit in. There's a new Aquarion... a new Macross, and a bunch of reviled stuff like Guilty Crown. They could do GoLion again. There are like a million brave series and whatnot to tap into too.

Haven't been many mass market mecha successes outside of Gundam stuff. I'm curious how they'd fit in Thunderbolt. It's less of a "both sides are right and conflict sucks" story and more of a "everybody is an asshole" type of story. Could do something interesting and make all Thunderbolt characters enemy bosses. GBF seems impossible to fit in unless it's like that SRW School spinoff on the DS.

See when you filter in GOOD and successful, yeah it cuts the list down, but honestly licensed SRW has been very slow over the past decade at adding new shows and so there are tons and tons of mecha anime they still need to add.

I remember around Z2's release feeling like at the rate they were going, they were going to run out of new mecha shows to add. Z2 bringing in Gundam 00, Macross F, Shin Mazinger, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann; was pretty epic and a nice follow up to Z1 which brought in Destiny, Aquarion, Eureka Seven.

I do this list like every 6 months in a SRW thread for the last 10 years, but the list of major mecha shows in the last decade (~2007 onward) that still need to have a proper appearance in licensed SRW:

-Break Blade movies / Novels (this is awesome and needs to get in)
-Star Driver (mobile line defense doesn't count)
-Fafner Exodus aka. S2 (this is gonna get in for sure on a portable one since they love Fafner there)
-Majestic Prince
-Valvrave
-Aldnoah Zero
-G-Reco
-Gundam Thunderbolt
-Gundam IBO
-Gundam The Origin
-Gundam Build Fighters (I don't think plot-wise it's hard to fit in, but w/e)
-Gundam Build Fights Try (same)
-Macross Delta
-Captain Earth ( :\ )
-Code Geass Akito OAV
-Knights of Sidonia
-Kuromukuro
-Bokurano (pretty sure this will NEVER get in, but it would work fine like Eva if they wanted)
-Muv-Luv Alternative
-Heroic Age :)\)
-Rinne no Lagrange

And I know I'm missing a couple of lesser known crappy fanservice mecha shows in that list.

Considering that there's a licensed SRW at 1 game a year at best, and more like every 2 years at average, and that a licensed SRW usually only has about 3-5 new entry shows + a couple new entry old retro shows + regulars, just going through that above list at 3-5 entries per game, it's going to take decades to catch up and that's only if they stop making new mecha anime every year which probably won't happen.

What is interesting is that 95% of that list is real robot shows. They hardly make new super robot shows, so more and more imo it's why the super robots in SRW are first appearance retro shows or regulars like Daitarn to fill the super side.

Bebpo

Banned
My ideal "Next major SRW" lineup cast would be:

*-Gundam IBO
*-Gundam Thunderbolt
*-Break Blade (game 1 do the movies, game 2 or 3 do the novels like FMP)
*-Macross Delta
*-Star Driver
*-Majestic Prince
*-Valvrave
-Escaflowne
-L-Gaim
-Victory Gundam
-Kotetsu Jeeg
-Grendizer
-Some form of Getter Robo

But even that would be unrealistic as too many "new entry" series. Also I'd like Five Star Stories to get in, but given the tight control freak grip Nagano has on that series, it'll never get in.

One thing is for sure that the next time Mazinger gets in (regular, Shin or Zero) final dynamic special NEEDs to come back. The fact that Mazinger Zero, Mazin Emperor G and Shin Getter Robo don't have a final dynamic special in V is one of the few really sad moments of the game. Even just a Zero & Mazin Emperor team up attack would've been insanely epic and the highlight of the entire game.

So, I'm in chapter 13 now. This Might Gaine arc is so stupid and boring. And the worst thing is that it never ends!

Regarding the mechanics, will there be 'team system' like in the previous SRW Z games? Or like in Moon Dweller? I'm not a fan of that system. So far every unit is alone and I've yet to see any indication of teams in the game. I hope that's the case in this game.

Bebpo

Banned
So, I'm in chapter 13 now. This Might Gaine arc is so stupid and boring. And the worst thing is that it never ends!

Regarding the mechanics, will there be 'team system' like in the previous SRW Z games? Or like in Moon Dweller? I'm not a fan of that system. So far every unit is alone and I've yet to see any indication of teams in the game. I hope that's the case in this game.

No teams or squads in V. Keeps the speed up in maps.

And I'm with you on Might Gaine. The plot is really weak for a Yuusha show. Maybe Gaogaigar spoiled me, but Might Gaine is zzz in plot/characters and mechs outside Joe who is kinda cool.

Top Bottom