• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Super Star Wars Trilogy on SNES - A Gaming Renaissance For A Classic Franchise

Fake

Journey back with us to 1992 and the release of Super Star Wars on Super NES - and the beginning of a renaissance in spin-off media from the classic trilogy. dark10x and Audi Sorlie assess all three Super Star Wars trilogy titles, their ports, prototypes - and even the series' predecessor on the original NES.

00:00 - Introduction
01:58 - Title Sequence
02:28 - Episode I - The Dark Times
07:04 - Episode II - A New Hope?
19:44 - Episode III - Super Star Wars
30:37 - Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Prototype
34:49 - Cancelled DOS Version
42:04 - Episode IV - Super Empire Strikes Back
52:14 - Episode V - Super Return of the Jedi
58:38 - Episode VI - The Finale

Last edited:
I miss them, but do not miss their difficulty. Seems that when the rereleased the first snes game to ps4, the built in cheats no longer work unless I missed something.

Stuart360 Stuart360

Im 1000000% positive they used that YT thumbnail before. Its not deja vu...I saw that for sure. I think maybe im mixing it up with what i posted above but Im still certain ive seen them having this thumbnail before.

The Shepard

They never did release the second and third super star wars on ps4, what happened there? Not enough sales perhaps. They should release them as a trilogy on all consoles and pc.

Romulus

I remember my neighbor was a genesis fan and suddenly wanted to come over every day when I got Super star wars. He was pretending not to be all that interested in it, but I knew he was. "It's alright, something different I guess until the next genesis game comes out." lol
I let him see half the game then started making excuses why he couldn't come over from that point on. That Christmas, he asked his parents for a SNES and Star Wars after saying he would never buy an SNES lol

Last edited:

SCB3

They never did release the second and third super star wars on ps4, what happened there? Not enough sales perhaps. They should release them as a trilogy on all consoles and pc.

good point, I think it sold well, it was part of a bundle with a few ps2 era games as well,

I wouldn’t mind these being in NSO or ports to switch and steam tbh

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I completed them all b ack on the sens, such rock solid games. I can’t remember some of those levels seeing them in the videos. I remember the mode 7 levels the most especially the empire strikes back with hills and stuff, it was like voodoo magic back then seeing that

00:00 - Introduction
01:58 - Title Sequence
02:28 - Episode I - The Dark Times
07:04 - Episode II - A New Hope?
19:44 - Episode III - Super Star Wars
30:37 - Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Prototype
34:49 - Cancelled DOS Version
42:04 - Episode IV - Super Empire Strikes Back
52:14 - Episode V - Super Return of the Jedi
58:38 - Episode VI - The Finale

Thank DOS version is totally awesome!

I had the first two games as a kid and remember playing them a lot (especially Super Star Wars). Sadly my parents never got us RotJ (despite them being SW fans) and I still haven't played it to this day. I should track down a copy or finally open up my Snes mini and mod the thing.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I had the first two games as a kid and remember playing them a lot (especially Super Star Wars). Sadly my parents never got us RotJ (despite them being SW fans) and I still haven't played it to this day. I should track down a copy or finally open up my Snes mini and mod the thing.

I would defiantly seek it out, finish the trilogy

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I played the shit out of the first SSW, but never got the sequels even if SESB looked awesome on magazines. And frankly, looking back at my SNES collection and the retrospectives on the series, I think I did the right thing. SSW was awesome for the time it came out, but come summer of 1993, SNES really kicked into full gear and much better stuff was coming out for the system. I remember briefly trying SESB on an emulator years later and getting my ass kicked so badly, haha.

Thinking about it, the craziest thing about all this is that Star Wars was almost dead in the mainstream for a good decade, and it was video games that brought it back to the spotlight before the saga returned to cinemas in 1997. Truth be told though, for a lad who actually discovered SW through the NES game, that very game was more interesting than the bombastic SNES game - it’s closer to the “SW metroidvania” someone mentioned ITT than anything else. (Unfortunately, TESB on the NES and GB was some labyrinthine shit with terrible controls and impossible difficulty) Also, I think that the PC games, particularly X-Wing, resonated more in the gaming scene at the time than the console games. X-Wing was incredible back then - I was no PC gamer, but I still have the C+VG issue reviewing it and it said the game needed 4MB of RAM to run; imagine that!

Ozzie666

Lucafilms not making Star Wars games early on is like Marvel selling assets to Fox for movies.
Imagine what we could have had in the 80's in line with Maniac Mansion. Anyhow, the trilogy was awesome and epic at the time, even Indiana Jones was decent too. Something about the music and sounds, were just authentic at the time.

Top Bottom