• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

So, I'm in chapter 13 now. This Might Gaine arc is so stupid and boring. And the worst thing is that it never ends!

Regarding the mechanics, will there be 'team system' like in the previous SRW Z games? Or like in Moon Dweller? I'm not a fan of that system. So far every unit is alone and I've yet to see any indication of teams in the game. I hope that's the case in this game.

I am DONE with squad based SRWs, they are beyond frustrating. At first it's cool since you can field what feels like your whole army, but in the end it's just a bunch of busywork. Like casting Flash on 20 people in a single turn, or having to deal with the stupid 10 seconds of your squadmates exchanging potshots before the actual real animation. It just engenders a dependency on BS MAP attacks, ESPECIALLY late game, which is a grind in any SRW. I don't think I could've finished SRWZ without Nirvash, or OG2nd without all the Masoukishin. Hell I think the most tolerable squad system was SRW@3 which was super umbalanced with superpowerful ALL attacks everywhere.

I get that if you have like more than 20 main characters in the roster it makes sense to do a squad based system, but it really kills the pacing.

If we're talking about future SRWs I really hope they change the Sub-Order system so that your experience gained is relative to the level. SRW is not really a challenging series, I think it should made as painless as possible to keep all members of your squad at the same level. The other customization stuff works, but you should be able to swap in and out to keep things fresh.

No teams or squads in V. Keeps the speed up in maps.

And I'm with you on Might Gaine. The plot is really weak for a Yuusha show. Maybe Gaogaigar spoiled me, but Might Gaine is zzz in plot/characters and mechs outside Joe who is kinda cool.

I guess I am really easy to please. I like Mightgaine if it had a dubbed US release I'd buy it.

Also I finished Cross Ange and I would rate it as pretty good. Doesnt seem to have been really popular though. I could only fnd a few mecha collector figures and no PVC character releases.

To add about future SRWs I think a refund system should be put in place. Definately not getting all of the money you spent back but say 80% so you can upgrade other units.

Also for Gundam specific crossovers I recommend SD Gundam Advance and DS.

massoluk

Banned
Just got to Cross Ange Arc, more convinced now that the anime could have been so much more without rapey t&a fanservice

ZZ was in Alpha just like GGG, the only difference is that ZZ just gets wrapped into the overall Universal Century. The perceived bias really depends on what games you played I guess.

manfestival

It's very long, 40 to 50 hour mark, even with minimal watching of the actual animations. The maps tend to go on for a long time and there are tons of dialogue (though cool dialogue!).

this pretty much seals the deal. Just did my taxes and I am getting 243 back so guess where some of that money is going!

"Take this ramen recipe. The Akito you knew is dead. I want you to have what remains of him."

Seriously, what the fuck happened in the Nadesico movie? Who thought this was a good idea??

Reishiki

Banned
"Take this ramen recipe. The Akito you knew is dead. I want you to have what remains of him."

Seriously, what the fuck happened in the Nadesico movie? Who thought this was a good idea??

90s edginess.
Buried somewhere in one of my boxes is a copy of the Sega Saturn game produced to bridge series and movie, although I've never had a chance to play it.

90s edginess.
Buried somewhere in one of my boxes is a copy of the Sega Saturn game produced to bridge series and movie, although I've never had a chance to play it.

Oh god. I'm genuinely curious what kind of tone the game struck. Nadesico TV and what I've seen of the movie makes them feel like they might as well be completely different series

Well, damn. Ange's bgm is so good it's growing on me.

I was never huge on the Cross Ange opening but it works super well as a battle bum. I was legit hype when Vilkiss transformed and the theme kicked in for the first time in the game

massoluk

Banned

There is no Nadesico movie

I'm on to stage 23 now. So far so good, the stages aren't pretty long like in Moon Dwellers and previous mainline SRW games.

I like the new touches on spirits usage in this game. I don't feel the need to use a spirit for every unit on the map each turn. It was a major hassle in previous games. And I think this new system is the main cause of this faster pacing.

I also like that there's now several leader units on the map so I don't really need to use spirits every time. Right now it's all about placing those leader units as I march forward so all of my regular units can maximize the effect.

I was never huge on the Cross Ange opening but it works super well as a battle bum. I was legit hype when Vilkiss transformed and the theme kicked in for the first time in the game

I checked on the actual song on Youtube earlier, and yeah it doesn't as good as the in-game BGM.

Bebpo

Banned

I can get on board with this. Let's also add:

There is no Eureka Seven movie

You don't understand man, he has no sense of taste left? How are you supposed to live your life like that? How will he ever cook food again! The angst, the angst.

90s edginess.
Yeah apparently you need know the plot of the game for the movie to even get close to making sense. Cross media franchise ideas too good.
I can get on board with this. Let's also add:

What are your opinions on the animated TV series sequel?

So, apparently Amuro is a commander here, everyone is addressing him with the title. But how come he doesn't have a leadership skill? Maybe later, I guess.

So I just got the Gundam Seed kids. Holy shit, I thought you guys were exaggerating about how bad Strike Impulse was. That thing is fucking trash tier

So, apparently Amuro is a commander here, everyone is addressing him with the title. But how come he doesn't have a leadership skill? Maybe later, I guess.

They are refering to his rank. From the games I have played he has never had a command aura.

Kinda suprised he is a commander he was a lieutenant in the CCA movie. Which is weird since he is amazing. I believe the back story is the Fed's distrust of newtypes.

Bebpo

Banned
On stage 43 and kinda taking a break before I finish the game up. After all the planetary stuff ends pre-40 and you basically have all your units/attacks outside OG/Yamato/Shine Spark, I realized that the game isn't really as engaging now.

Sure Yamato is great, so I'm looking forward to doing the rest of its story and getting the final few attacks in.

But the OG story is so minimal in the game (a good thing imo after Z3's OG story taking up so many maps) and so underdeveloped/uninteresting at this point that normally in a licensed SRW, at this point when the licensed stories start ending and dropping like flies, the OG story is supposed to be exciting, interesting and in full gear so that's the plot element that keeps you engaged to see where this original plot leads/ends; but here there's really no OG plot besides the enemies showing up occasionally fighting and leaving, so it's basically like it doesn't exist and there's only 1 plot left in the game that is Yamato (and maybe some Crossbone, but since Crossbone is post-story I'm not expecting much [Crossbone really shouldn't have been post-story here, they should've included the plot in V]).

Also I feel like normally you don't get all your end units/final attacks so early in. I had most by like map 36. At this point the maps are actually very quick in the stage 40s because I've seen all the animations and there's nothing new to see and not a lot of cross-over plots, so I just leave animations off, MAP attack everything real quick and turn on animations for the couple of boss exchanges and that's it, map over.

Still enjoying it and looking forward to finishing it, but I think the OG story so far is like the least interesting OG story we've ever had in a SRW. There's almost no mysteries or interesting characters outside the MC/Nine (I like both). I think this was sort of intentional after how Z3 turned out and wanting to have the OG plot be very minimal and very backseat to the anime plots, but maybe they went too far and there could've been more OG plot and more interesting plotline.

Speaking of the OG, the super route upgrade is a weird unit. I can't think of almost any other supers that are entirely gun/shooting/ranged weapons. I think the real route upgrade feels much more canon to the original unit and makes way more sense, but I went super because I love super robots too much :( I'm hoping the last attack is a sword or something because c'mon you can't have a cool looking super robot without a single physical melee attack! :p

Shouta

The OG story gets a little more interesting towards the end. That's what I felt anyway. It's a little more engaging the recent standalone SRWs but it definitely needed a bit more stuff going on.

OG stories needs a happy medium between the multi-game SRWs and the standalone ones. That's what's been lacking recently. It's a real shame too because the designs have held up for the most part but not the writing for them.

Bebpo

Banned
Fwiw, I thought the OG story in UX was really good with the Kali-Yuuga and Resurrection cycles. Was interesting and felt like a plot out of a Shin Megami Tensei game. Had a great final boss too.

Before that Z2 was really good OG story, great MC, great support cast, good antagonist, lots of lore/mysteries and some setup for Z3 as well.

BX was unmemorable, Z3 was incredibly invasive taking over what seemed like half the game, and then all the build up ended up being lame in the end, Z1 was just ok with solid MCs and Asakim but otherwise nothing too interesting.

They are refering to his rank. From the games I have played he has never had a command aura.

Kinda suprised he is a commander he was a lieutenant in the CCA movie. Which is weird since he is amazing. I believe the back story is the Fed's distrust of newtypes.

Yeah, but when the blue girl from Cross Ange has the aura, it's only weird that Amuro and some other 'leader' characters don't have it. I need more regular units with the leadership aura, because I feel that the motherships are too slow even with accel. I use Yamato and the submarine most of the time mainly due to their attacking mobility (P attack and hit & away).

Shouta

BX was definitely vanilla. It's not that it was bad either but that it just piggy-backed too much on the various series in it which is a real shame because I liked the unit. I haven't really played UX yet though I finally did get a copy. Before that, UX, the last standalone SRW was L which was really bland though I liked the protagonist and heroine.

The multi-game SRWs all really suffer when it comes to the final game in the series, I think. Even though I like Z3, there's definitely problems with it. Alpha 3 has problems too when it comes to OG story and the like. They can never seem to stick the landing at all.

Bebpo

Banned
BX was definitely vanilla. It's not that it was bad either but that it just piggy-backed too much on the various series in it which is a real shame because I liked the unit. I haven't really played UX yet though I finally did get a copy. Before that, UX, the last standalone SRW was L which was really bland though I liked the protagonist and heroine.

The multi-game SRWs all really suffer when it comes to the final game in the series, I think. Even though I like Z3, there's definitely problems with it. Alpha 3 has problems too when it comes to OG story and the like. They can never seem to stick the landing at all.

Alpha 3 definitely has problems but I thought the OG plot was still pretty solid and a good finish. The final boss emperor dude was kinda cool and the story was essentially an assault on Balmer with complexities and that worked.

L was the one SRW I skipped. I remember liking the OG plot in W and K though.

I think you'll like UX if you can get past the Z3/BX style grunt padding. Demonbane is a really cool addition, and Heroman is a neat unit even if the plot is trash. The SD Gundams in UX are even better than BX imo because it's 3 Kingdoms, and covering the Linebarrels manga is really cool as it has a good complete story.

Yeah, but when the blue girl from Cross Ange has the aura, it's only weird that Amuro and some other 'leader' characters don't have it. I need more regular units with the leadership aura, because I feel that the motherships are too slow even with accel. I use Yamato and the submarine most of the time mainly due to their attacking mobility (P attack and hit & away).

In the games I have played he never has had it. Also i think its part of Amuro's character. Not sure if you ever seen CCA but to keep it as spoiler free as possible char and amuro meet up and during the convo Char says to him unlike you im more then just a pilot.

It makes sense in this game for him to have it. He is londo bell's ace pilot and probably the best/most famous pilot in the EF military. However I don't think they'd ever give it to him since its like part of the things that seperate him from Char. Other then him being better at melee.

Not sure what to do after SRW V. I am not done yet Zelda, Persona, and Steel Division have slown me down. I might play it again since its in english but finishing up Z3.2 is probably better from a completing my backlog.

Loona

I wonder if I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how V's training plan feature works...

So there's a skill path tree, and you buy skills which unlokc the availability of other skills - as far as I can tell, these unlocks are universal to all characters.

When a skill is unlocked, by default it has a value of zero, and if you buy it, it's incremented by 1 - and if it's a root skill, it can unlock others, whose value moves from "-" to 0.

So once a skill has a value of 1 or higher, it seems like it can be assigned to someone.

If a character already has that skill, assigning it anyway makes it a +1 version.

The weird thing is i'm getting +1 version of skills when assigning them to characters that lack them, so i wonder if I'm missing something here...

Soulhouf

Finished the game!
I have a mixed feeling about this one. Story wise It started pretty strong but jumped off the cliff around chapters 10-20 with the Might Gaine and Cross Ange fatal combo. It's so stupid and boring and doesn't really fit into the epic space opera theme introduced by Star Blazers.
Eventually it was rectified with the Yamato's comeback and all the Getter/Mazinger/Eva/Gundam story arcs but never managed to create something consistent throughout the game especially with Cross Ange/Might Gaine crap they throw in from time to time. Admittedly I never heard of these 2 series before but seriously, look at them. How do you fit their story lines (I assume their arcs come from their respective anime series) into this? And why do we need like 7 identical robots from these series?

The presentation is a giant leap from the last notable licensed SRT (Z3) which is nice and it runs smoothly on both PS4 and Vita but the game has no challenge whatsoever. The series isn't known for being challenging but here it's a walk in the park and keeps getting easier. The final boss is a joke which is very disappointing

Over all I liked it. I good SRT squandered by some baffling decisions and a very fragile story which was put together in a lousy way.
Hopefully they will fix some of these problems in the next entry.
I also can't wait for an OG game with this new engine.

I haven't had time to beat this in between school and the insane deluge of games this Q1, but is this a standalone or will there be a V 2? Or do we not really know yet?

I haven't had time to beat this in between school and the insane deluge of games this Q1, but is this a standalone or will there be a V 2? Or do we not really know yet?

We don't really know but posts in their thread side with standalone. Stating the story is wrapped up with no loose ends by the end of the game.

Bebpo

Banned
I wonder if I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how V's training plan feature works...

So there's a skill path tree, and you buy skills which unlokc the availability of other skills - as far as I can tell, these unlocks are universal to all characters.

When a skill is unlocked, by default it has a value of zero, and if you buy it, it's incremented by 1 - and if it's a root skill, it can unlock others, whose value moves from "-" to 0.

So once a skill has a value of 1 or higher, it seems like it can be assigned to someone.

If a character already has that skill, assigning it anyway makes it a +1 version.

The weird thing is i'm getting +1 version of skills when assigning them to characters that lack them, so i wonder if I'm missing something here...

I think you're understanding it correct. You buy the skills like you'd buy a potion at a shop in an rpg and it adds to your inventory, then you just assign it to anyone you want. If they already have that skill, a lot of skills can have +1/+2/etc.. to increase the efficiency of that skill. Some, like Hit & Away, don't and will be greyed out so you can't apply a Hit & Away you bought if the character already has it.

V is standalone. It's getting the last mileage out of those Z3 sprites before they start a new series (trilogy or more) from the ground up with all new sprites.

Finished the game!
I have a mixed feeling about this one. Story wise It started pretty strong but jumped off the cliff around chapters 10-20 with the Might Gaine and Cross Ange fatal combo. It's so stupid and boring and doesn't really fit into the epic space opera theme introduced by Star Blazers.
Eventually it was rectified with the Yamato's comeback and all the Getter/Mazinger/Eva/Gundam story arcs but never managed to create something consistent throughout the game especially with Cross Ange/Might Gaine crap they throw in from time to time. Admittedly I never heard of these 2 series before but seriously, look at them. How do you fit their story lines (I assume their arcs come from their respective anime series) into this? And why do we need like 7 identical robots from these series?

The presentation is a giant leap from the last notable licensed SRT (Z3) which is nice and it runs smoothly on both PS4 and Vita but the game has no challenge whatsoever. The series isn't known for being challenging but here it's a walk in the park and keeps getting easier. The final boss is a joke which is very disappointing

Over all I liked it. I good SRT squandered by some baffling decisions and a very fragile story which was put together in a lousy way.
Hopefully they will fix some of these problems in the next entry.
I also can't wait for an OG game with this new engine.

Cross Ange got a ton of playable useless grunt units because it was a new series and they want to add as many playable units as possible for the actually "new" series since there are so few of them (Cross Ange, Might Gaine, Yamato are the only ones in V). I disagree on Cross Ange's plot. I think it worked well within the confines of the game and helped tie the multi world aspect together. It wasn't the best plot, but it was sure better than monster of the day type stuff in Might Gaine.

Loona

I think you're understanding it correct. You buy the skills like you'd buy a potion at a shop in an rpg and it adds to your inventory, then you just assign it to anyone you want. If they already have that skill, a lot of skills can have +1/+2/etc.. to increase the efficiency of that skill. Some, like Hit & Away, don't and will be greyed out so you can't apply a Hit & Away you bought if the character already has it.

But then why does my attempt to give Okita SP Up turn into SP Up +1 if he doesn't have SP Up already?...

Shouta

I loved Might Gaine in the game though my biggest disappointment with it is that they didn't go hella meta with the plot. That's its claim to fame after all.

massoluk

Banned
Super Robot series always has some quirky moments from the original tv series they pulled stuffs from, but the Natto matter broke me in a bad way.

Jirotrom

Super robot wars 5
SD Gundam G Generation Genesis
Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers

Which one should I buy? HALP!!

In the games I have played he never has had it. Also i think its part of Amuro's character. Not sure if you ever seen CCA but to keep it as spoiler free as possible char and amuro meet up and during the convo Char says to him unlike you im more then just a pilot.

It makes sense in this game for him to have it. He is londo bell's ace pilot and probably the best/most famous pilot in the EF military. However I don't think they'd ever give it to him since its like part of the things that seperate him from Char. Other then him being better at melee.

I think I remember vaguely that he's had a commanding aura in one of those PSX SRW games from back then.

Super robot wars 5

Having played all of them, I'd highly recommend SRW V. Moon Dwellers has squad system which I hate, and the story wasn't that interesting compared to the GBA OG games. And I didn't really enjoy Generation Genesis. Not sure why though, kinda forget.

Bebpo

Banned
Super robot wars 5

V is a more complete game with a ton of content. It's pretty long, though drags a bit.
Moon Dwellers is more an expansion pack size game, but it's well done and the animations are incredible.
G Gen is Gundam fanservice, only go for it if you're a huge UC Gundam fan and want a game of nothing but that.

Tsukumo

Super robot wars 5

Super Robot V is one of the best SRW ever. Top notch animations, great story, easy gameplay with a couple of difficult spikes here and there, and completely custom soundtrack. Very accessible strategy game.
Genesis is a really good G-Generation. If you can read Japanese and have a way to play PS2 games, you should jump on G-Gen Spirits though: Genesis is Spirits remake basically, up to Char's Counterattack/ Hathaway's Flash. It can get really easy if you grind, but for a Gundam fan is absolutely unique in that retraces and sometimes links together the entire Universal Century's plot. Sort of a Pokémon game, but with Gundams all over it.
Moon Dwellers is the game you want out of the three IF you are looking for a challenge. Possibly one of the hardest SRW I've ever played, tied with the second volume of Original Generations. Hit rates are extremely low, you have to have down every single mechanic to understand the solution to each stage SR Point, and the game has out of nowhere difficulty spikes. My biggest problem with it is the screeplay: the originals plot is good enough but the dialogues are boring as fuck, there's next to no joke, the interactions between pilots are few and not even mildly interesting.
Currently I'm jumping from one to the other and I like all of them, but in terms of overall quality SRW V is the king.

Loona

Super robot wars 5

Moon Dwellers seems more worthwhile if you're somewhat familiar with ongoing SRW OG stories. I can't really comment on the Gundam-specific games.
But a licensed SRW like V in English is something of an exceptional event, and story-wise a self-contained one, so if I had to pick one I'd go with that.

squall23

I loved Might Gaine in the game though my biggest disappointment with it is that they didn't go hella meta with the plot. That's its claim to fame after all.
What if they made Terada the evil mastermind and we have to kill his in-game version to beat the game?

Loona

What if they made Terada the evil mastermind and we have to kill his in-game version to beat the game?

Only if beating him deletes your saved files from the OG games, and removes the OG cast, since they tend to dominate the stories anyway despite the fact that the featured series tend to be what brings people to the games.

Bebpo

Banned
Did the end? of Might Gaine and got its last darth maul attack. I liked the end bits of Might Gaine and I do enjoy the dozen HQ close-up stills of Gaine in the attacks. I love how many animations they gave him.

Finishing up the other side of the final route split now. Should have the rest of the game done by the end of the weekend. Looking forward to any end surprises.

Btw, is it just me or does the Super OG unit kinda suck? I mean you stick him out front and he can't dodge anything (maybe Real OG version can), and even maxed 100% his armor is kinda thin. He doesn't have a ton of SP banks, he doesn't have Steel Wall 1/4th damage SP, he doesn't have a map attack....like he's kinda useless for grunts and only useful for mini-bosses/bosses.

Usually my maxed OG unit is pretty much the best unit in the game, and I get the feeling maybe the Real version is pretty awesome if it's got a much higher dodge rate and then with concentrate can just not get hit, but the Super version kinda sucks for an OG mech.

I am looking forward to Souji & Nine appearing in OGs in a decade or so, I like the characters a good deal and the mech is a pretty nice design. Would like a 2nd take at redesigning it from a gameplay-perspective & animations in OGs.

which one has the best animations?

Moon Dwellers has the highest quality animations. V has like 20x more animations.

Do you want to play as 20 characters with A+ animation, or 80 characters with A-/B+ animation?

Top Bottom