• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

bon

I don't like those redesigns but I'll give the game a chance.

Hopefully Sonic Team is working on a sequel to Lost World, which would explain why this is outsourced.

TheOGB

Banned
r507DQb.jpg

New keyart? Or was this posted already?
Stop doing this to Amy

For fucks sake

Oh man...that's something.

Tails & Amy look alright, Robotnik looks great.
Sonic & Knuckles...What in the hell?

Also were they buried in a tomb or something? That's a lot of bandages.
Another thing that bugs me. It's pretty obvious that nobody lifts in the Sonic universe, but those twig arms freak me out.

http://kotaku.com/meet-the-new-sonic-and-his-next-game-1517561472
"Series executive producer Evan Pailey described episodes of the show where an overprotective Sonic fires Tails from sidekick and Eggman applies, Eggman tries to get into Modern Lair Magazine and, after losing again to Sonic for the umpteenth time, the archvillain fakes an injury and takes Sonic to court. The new co-operative play mechanics in the games and show will also be seen in the toys"

Guys. The TV series sounds pretty good..

...I'm actually pretty interested in seeing these episodes now.

There's just too much new info to take all in. I'll need to take a wait and see approach with all of this. In conclusion:

• Honestly the game doesn't look that bad. Ex ND vets inspire confidence, and we've seen to little to judge the game's quality
  • Leg lengths are lanky and frightening
  • TV show looks decent, could be funny based on the ep descriptions some posts above
  • most importantly: it's good to know reboot Sonic is NOT replacing Modern Sonic. Who thought the day would come when people were relieved to hear that Modern Sonic isn't going anywhere, lol

Hexa

Fuck. Does this mean Sanzaru isn't working on Sly 5. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I want that soooooo much. And Verendus even teased it. Motherfuckerpo;asjdflasijaoieghnoauwrvnaiejf

Edit: Nvm. I'm probably over reacting. I'm a bit touchy about Sly though. xD

Knuckles' design :lol :lol :lol Oh dear...

BUT, former Naughty Dog employees? I hope they bring something very Jak & Daxter to this, I mean it's a separate series altogether so why not? More than anything though, I just hope for quality.

Effect

This push with the video game, tv show, and possibly toys really is what Nintendo should be doing with Mario and his friends. Hooking kids with the TV show so they'll want the games even more. Like they used to do back with Super Mario Bros 3 and World.

Those screens look A MILLION TIMES BETTER than Lost World. Lost World look like a Wii game. Are you people just looking at the art style and getting angry. The worlds look infinitely more detailed.

Ridley327

Fuck. Does this mean Sanzaru isn't working on Sly 5. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I want that soooooo much. And Verendus even teased it. Motherfuckerpo;asjdflasijaoieghnoauwrvnaiejf

I think it just means that their next release is Sonic Boom for the 3DS.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Cmagus

I like the look of the world but I'm not crazy on Sonic, Knuckles and Amy's design Tails look pretty good. I think its their mouths that look off they look squished in or something its the head thats throwing the design off on Sonic and Amy. Knuckles just looks dumb and roided up.

goldenpp72

I won't believe that one 'till I see the next Sonic game.

They probably are saying because they are already aware of all the racket going on with the new designs.

Please god be true, I'm willing to play any game that is fun but please don't let the 2015 and beyond titles be a continuation of this design.

Lijik

http://kotaku.com/meet-the-new-sonic-and-his-next-game-1517561472
"Series executive producer Evan Pailey described episodes of the show where an overprotective Sonic fires Tails from sidekick and Eggman applies, Eggman tries to get into Modern Lair Magazine and, after losing again to Sonic for the umpteenth time, the archvillain fakes an injury and takes Sonic to court. The new co-operative play mechanics in the games and show will also be seen in the toys"

Guys. The TV series sounds pretty good..

Those plots are amazing, right outta Adventures Of from the 90s

The animaion is so awkward though. The design cant seem to handle being animated at all, Sonic running looks so awkward

Taker666

The character models could certainly use some tweaking...

...on the flipside the game doesn't look like it plays like a traditional Sonic game...so there's a chance it might be good.

So it looks like that leak was incorrect, that its not coming to x1/ps4.

So is sega working on a mainline sonic game then? Or is there only one team for that?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gigantic Press Release: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/se...sonic-the-hedgehog-with-sonic-boom-2014-02-06

SEGA Launches New Multiplatform Franchise Strategy for Global Icon Sonic the Hedgehog™ with Sonic Boom™
First Ever CG Animated Television Series, New Western Video Game Developers, and Robust Merchandising Program Introduce New Look, New Play Pattern, and Rise of Supporting Characters

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON, Feb 06, 2014 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- For more than two decades Sonic the Hedgehog has been one of the world’s biggest gaming icons, with over 70 video game titles, four animated series, and an extensive global merchandising line to his name. This year SEGA® is excited to introduce a new branch of the Sonic universe, entitled Sonic Boom™, that will debut a new look for Sonic and friends and launch their first-ever CG animated television series, new video games for the Wii U™ system and the Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system and a new toy line. The creative driving forces behind these projects are working together with SEGA to kick-start a global campaign for Sonic Boom™ that will excite and engage new and existing fans across a variety of platforms.

Sonic Boom’s visual identity includes character designs inspired by the abilities and unique personalities of each of the characters while still maintaining the core identity and values of the Sonic brand. The rich worlds of the TV series and videogame will share a common narrative and a number of location and stylistic similarities reflecting full collaboration between videogame, TV series partners and SEGA from the outset.

The Sonic Boom television series, coproduced by SEGA of America Inc. and OuiDO! Productions, will debut on Cartoon Network in the U.S. and on CANAL J and GULLI in France during the 2014/2015 season. The series is an ensemble comedy consisting of 52 x 11-minute standalone episodes packed full of high-adrenaline action. Every episode starts from a small character-driven story and explodes into an epic tale of saving the world, robot battles and more.

Serving as a prequel to the stories revealed in the TV series the Sonic Boom video game will deliver a totally different experience to previous Sonic games with collaborative gameplay at its core. Developed in the U.S by California based Big Red Button Entertainment (Wii U) and Sanzaru Games (Nintendo 3DS) in collaboration with Sonic Team, this is the third title to be released as part of an exclusive deal with Nintendo. Sonic Boom will take advantage of the innovative hardware of both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, with traditional elements of Sonic games, such as speed, also featured. The videogame will also introduce exploration, combat and a new Enerbeam tether mechanic that will allow the Sonic Boom world to be discovered in totally unique ways.

Sonic Boom will be supported by a robust global licensing and merchandising program, anchored by new master toy partner TOMY. TOMY’s line will showcase the new character looks, stressing interaction between core characters, and will feature new play patterns based on both the new game and TV series. TOMY will develop a comprehensive toy range across a broad number of categories including plush, action figures, RC, role play, vehicles and novelty. Sonic fans can expect a high-quality, collectible toy line fueled by TOMY innovation and energized with speed, lights, sounds, motion-activation and action-performance. SEGA will launch a broad licensing program across multiple categories including toys, apparel, publishing, accessories, food and beverage, health and more – making this one of the biggest license initiatives SEGA has undertaken in recent years. The company will enlist many of its current partners who have had tremendous success with Sonic over the past years while seeking new licensees to join this exciting new Sonic licensing program.

“We want to ensure that the Sonic brand continues to evolve and appeal to new generations of Sonic fans and this different look introduces a fresh approach that will be at once both familiar and new to consumers,” said John Cheng, President & COO, SEGA of America. “We are committed to supporting this initiative to provide great entertainment to fans for all aspects of their lives.”

Sonic the Hedgehog first appeared as a videogame character in June 1991 and instantly became an icon for a generation of gamers. Defined by his super-fast speed and cool attitude, in the years since he first raced on to videogame consoles Sonic has become a true global phenomenon with over 140 million videogames sold or downloaded worldwide across consoles, PC’s, mobile phones and tablets. SEGA’s iconic blue blur has also gone on to enjoy incredible success in many licensed areas, such as toys, apparel, comics and animation.

The Sonic Boom TV series is a coproduction between SEGA of America, Inc. and OuiDO! Productions. Executive producers on the show are Evan Baily, Donna Friedman Meir and Jane McGregor on behalf of SEGA, and Sandrine Nguyen and Boris Hertzog from OuiDO!. Other partners involved in the TV series include Lagardère Entertainment Rights for distribution and Lagardère Active TV Licensing & New Business for licensing and merchandise in France.

For press assets visit www.sega-press.com

sonto340

Those plots are amazing, right outta Adventures Of from the 90s

The animaion is so awkward though. The design cant seem to handle being animated at all, Sonic running looks so awkward

I thought Sonic Running looked super awkward as well.
had to double take and rewind to make sure Youtube Wasn't Lagging, because it looked like the same frame. They really need to work on the running animation /:

- J - D -

This is the most interesting Sonic and crew have been in years, aesthetically. The franchise was just boring, stagnant, and the designs were more often then not associated with a lot of crap and mediocrity. Fresh start.

Those screens look A MILLION TIMES BETTER than Lost World. Lost World look like a Wii game. Are you people just looking at the art style and getting angry. The worlds look infinitely more detailed.

Yeah, really.

It seems like "everyone" is judging the game's look by the character designs and ignoring the environments that look very good.

I can get over the character designs which are everywhere from "ok" to "what in the hell???" if the game is good and while there's no guarantee at all it will be fun, I'm more optimistic than pessimistic.

Especially hearing about who is developing it.

HUELEN10

Guys, I just thought of something...

Is this Sonic fast? Like, the Sonic we know is just naturally fast, but with that cartoon teaser and all, is this Sonic actually fast, or did he find something that gives him super-speed or something? I wouldn't be surprised, after all it kinda happened with Pac. I mean, does it matter? Probably not, but just a passing thought.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the "cut scene" models are horrible, but the actual game footage seems great and also three cara models are vey good (knuckles is meh...!!!), and the game resemble somehow a sort of sonic adventure 3!

Everything seems rather lifeless—even Eggman's lost his rotund shape, though the Roosevelt look's pretty neat. And post-modernism doesn't work for me, since it's already used as a crutch everywhere in modern media, something that's easily corporatized and salable (think the Super Bowl RadioShack ad, nothing but references!).

Whatever. If this makes money for SEGA so that they can fund Sonic Team's separate efforts, I'll let it pass.

It's almost as if Sega took a retrospective look at everything they did right in the last few Sonic games and decided to rectify that by defecating on the franchise even harder than Heroes, Shadow and 06 combined.

Early Johnny Test was decent, I was basically expecting a better version of that, specifically in regards to character interactions.

Oh, well nevermind then.

Early Johnny Test had decent animation and was pretty funny so its a reasonable expectation.

Ravidrath

BTW, Big Red Button isn't responsible for the character designs - those are from the cartoon series, and BRB had no control over them at all.

I'm actually optimistic about this as a game, though. Big Red Button hasn't released any games yet, but they have a strong and experienced team in every department.

I worked with one of their senior designers (who is also a GAF member) and he really knows his shit, and they're really picky about who they hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom