• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Ben

Banned
BTW, Big Red Button isn't responsible for the character designs - those are from the cartoon series, and BRB had no control over them at all.

I'm actually optimistic about this as a game, though. Big Red Button hasn't released any games yet, but they have a strong and experienced team in every department.

I worked with one of their senior designers (who is also a GAF member) and he really knows his shit, and they're really picky about who they hire.

I think the game is going to be good because of the pedigree, and the fact that they've been working on it for a number of years now, but yeah, sad BRB was saddled with these monstrosities.

Sonic please

original.jpg

Sanzaru?! Oh man, the worst thing about this, other than how crappy the game looks, is that Sanzaru aren't working on Sly 5.

Kitoro

What the HELL did they do to Knuckles?! I was just admiring Knuckles' character model in Sonic Dash as being my favorite of the characters. Then I see this and holy crap it looks like he got Frankenstein'd.

If this is a 4 player online co-op game, I'll forgive the horrible art direction and start getting hyped, though.

Still, I can't believe SEGA would let anyone bastardize their characters this much. Sonic looks like an early 3D rendition of a 3D Sonic for Sonic 3D Blast that they didn't end up using for good reason. Good grief...

Graphically the game looks great but not suprising considering the developer. The game should have some nice eye candy.

Also just because Knuckles is strong in general doesn't mean he has to look like he's juicing up for the last five years; I wonder if they will end up changing his overall character personality as well? Wow.

Overall it seems like from my perspective that Sega is still in 32x mode continuing to constantly redefine and change their own product too much and in rapid succession. I feel bad for Sonic....

The more I see, the less worried I am. The TV series looks good - and finally we have a Sonic Cartoon that isn't a complete alt-universe or same universe with stupid "NOW WE'RE ON EARTH AND HAVE TO DEAL WITH KIDS BECAUSE FOCUS GROUPS" nonsense. My 10 year old self is kinda hyped.

I mean not only that, we can finally play as Characters other than Sonic again! The variety of playstyles was something I really appreciated about Adventure, I mean yeah some of them sucked, but it was still more interesting than constant Sonic levels.

The models in game look a little awkward, but I like most of the designs bar Knuckles which just looks so awkward and weird. But eh, I was never a huge Knuckles fan anyway. I guess you just learn to accept it.

I'm far more excited about Sonic Boom than I ever was about Lost World. Which was making me worry if maybe Sega really had completely lost track of the series, or if it was time for me to bow out (sad after the rather decent Generations)

Also 3DS game not being made by Dimps! Surely this is something to be excited about seeing as it was clear Dimps had stopped being able to make half-decent sonic titles ages ago. Really keen to see what Sanzaru bring to the mix

When they're running it looks awesome, when they're not I'd rather it was just Sonic Generations 2(or not since I want it on Xbox One/PS4).

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, Big Red Button isn't responsible for the character designs - those are from the cartoon series, and BRB had no control over them at all.

I'm actually optimistic about this as a game, though. Big Red Button hasn't released any games yet, but they have a strong and experienced team in every department.

I worked with one of their senior designers (who is also a GAF member) and he really knows his shit, and they're really picky about who they hire.

Good to hear; optimism increasing.

Ridley327

Well Lost World was 720p 60 FPS for what it's worth
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94023922&postcount=1

Does Lost World run on the same Hedgehog Engine that Sonic Team has used since Unleashed? I know it's not an entirely fair comparison because the environments in Lost World are far less dense and busy than the ones in Unleashed and Generations, but if it is the case, the Wii U does have the muscle to get that engine running at 60 fps.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The cartoon series looks good! Surely interested in that. For the game, I want to see more (and, especially, see something for the 3DS version. Sanzaru and not Dimps, that's an event! :lol ). And Amy and Tails don't look bad (Tails look good in the CG trailer), Sonic a bit less (but that's because of the legs), while Knuckels...eeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Eggman looks great.

Tails and Amy are fine.

Sonic needs to shorten his legs.

Steroid Knuckles is just horrible.

Someone needs to take him to the back of a shed and end his misery.

Character models look awful, but other than that I'm excited for Sonic to get a revitalization. The show seems great and the game is giving Ratchet and Clank vibes. Super glad that this isn't replacing mainline Sonic as well. Seems like a welcome addition and great for kids. Except for Steroid Knuckles.

bon

Oh well. There goes everyone's hope that the third Sonic exclusive for Nintendo was the Mario and Sonic platformer.

Oh well .
Kinda feels like Nintendo got shortchanged on that Sonic deal. They got one mainline game, and then Olympics and a cartoon spinoff game.

SykoTech

Sanzaru?! Oh man, the worst thing about this, other than how crappy the game looks, is that Sanzaru aren't working on Sly 5.

I don't know how big Sanzaru is, but they're just making the 3DS version. I can't imagine a handheld version of a TV show cash-in game taking the entire team's attention.

A new Sly game is definitely in the works given the movie announcement. Here's hoping it's Sly 5 by Sanzaru and not The Movie: The Game by random developer.

daman824

Dang sega might have slipped up here. If they wanted this game to sell it should have been on every console possible. It's not going to do too good on the Wii U.

At least we know this isn't taking the place of the main series. I think that a tv series airing on Cartoon Network is a great idea if it's done well. If it works, it could really help sega and the sonic brand. But if it's bad it wont last more than one season.

Eggman looks great.

Tails and Amy are fine.

Sonic needs to shorten his legs.

Steroid Knuckles is just horrible.

Someone needs to take him to the back of a shed and end his misery.

This about sums it up. Sonic wouldn't look so terrible if they fixed his arms and legs.

They could all stand to lose the bandages. Please.

Mesoian

I don't know how big Sanzaru is, but they're just making the 3DS version. I can't imagine a handheld version of a TV show cash-in game taking the entire team's attention.

A new Sly game is definitely in the works given the movie announcement. Here's hoping it's Sly 5 by Sanzaru and not The Movie: The Game by random developer.

Dimps' triumphant return.

:(

Yup, and that's sad, all we have is a trailer, all we can comment on are the graphics.
I guess it's hard to wait for more info before getting "OMG so terrible"

I actually expected it to be way worse.

Ridley327

Using CryEngine 3? No way man.

Wonderful 101 has points where it dips below 15. It's not the game, it's the system.

30 fps, definitely.

Ehh, it's pretty clear that Wonderful 101 was very poorly optimized from top to bottom. The footage we've seen for Bayonetta 2 is far, far, far smoother than that game was.

Mesoian

boom16ekm3.gif

boom2rekey.gif

Okay yeah you know what,

I'm kind of hyped.

Some real Sonic Heroes vibes going on but...yeah, looks okay.

Will play.

Ehh, it's pretty clear that Wonderful 101 was very poorly optimized from top to bottom. The footage we've seen for Bayonetta 2 is far, far, far smoother than that game was.

I would not bet any money that this game will be 60fps, and I'm the person who currently has a bet with Retro+ that Donte will be in the next Capcom crossover fighting game.

Myriadis

The environements look great but the characters look fairly strange. Not that the originals were good to begin with.

Yup, and that's sad, all we have is a trailer, all we can comment on are the graphics.
I guess it's hard to wait for more info before getting "OMG so terrible"

The focus on the character design is hilarious.

I mean, yeah, it's odd (to be nice) but I care more about the way the game plays and the environments which look quite promising.

eXistor

This...looks really shitty. Sonic Lost World didn't turn out great, but at least that looked interesting up to release, this just looks like ass right from the bat. There's time to convince me though. I'm still waiting on the grand return of Sonic, who knows, this might surprise us.

What the hell did they do to the designs for Sonic and Knuckles? Sonic would look okay if the legs were shorter or something, but Knuckles... dear god, no. What the hell?

sonto340

This...looks really shitty. Sonic Lost World didn't turn out great, but at least that looked interesting up to release, this just looks like ass right from the bat. There's time to convince me though. I'm still waiting on the grand return of Sonic, who knows, this might surprise us.

Unleashed and Generations already happened though

Ridley327

Some real Sonic Heroes vibes going on but...yeah, looks okay.

Will play.

I would not bet any money that this game will be 60fps, and I'm the person who currently has a bet with Retro+ that Donte will be in the next Capcom crossover fighting game.

I wouldn't bet money on the game being 60 fps either, but I'm not going to immediately discount the possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom