• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

daemonic

Banned
I can't handle the attitude in their facial expressions. The raised eyebrow and smug smirking are just too much. Why can't they tone it down for once?

Fit-GAF, what's that thing called where gym people mess up and their legs look really thin like these characters but have barrel chest?
Missing leg day!

Speaking of which, Eggman now has a prominent barrel chest; combined with the military two-piece and sash, he's sporting a cool Roosevelt/Captain Falcon look.

Shakala

Did a quick photoshop reconstruction of the bodyshapes (mainly legs):

r507dqbowb94.jpg

Can you make sonic's arms normal color again? :p

SykoTech

Sorry guys. Photoshop all you want, but Sega's got a fetish for sexy legs. They ain't going away.

Photoshop Sonic's arms make to his normal color while you're at it.

I sincerely doubt that is the reasoning at all. Sonic Boom will have been in development at the same time as Lost World and they obviously had no problem releasing that as a Nintendo exclusive.

I don't the next mainline Sonic is going to skip Nintendo platforms either.

Yeah, because of the three-game exclusivity deal that Nintendo signed with Sega.

1) Sonic: Lost World (Sonic Team for Wii U + Dimps for 3DS)
2) Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games (Sega Sports Japan for Wii U)
3) Sonic Boom (Big Red Button for Wii U and Sanzaru for 3DS)

Next-gen Sonic may definitely come to Wii U as well...

4) Next-gen Sonic (Sonic Team for Wii U / PS4 / Xbox One)

I'm just taking the information from this image. It correctly leaked the Sonic Boom TV series:

aLtncbsl.jpg

...so I don't see why it couldn't have leaked a PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U planned game as well.

Mesoian

Those are bandages? I thought sonic was wearing drake's scarf from uc3 because of the ex ND guys.

I kind of hope they make a big deal about taping your ankles, then talk about how silly it is to tape your ankles if you're running for speed instead of distance.

aside from lol Knuckles new look the trailer was decent , but i didn't buy lost world til a price drop and i will be on the look out for this

hopefully its great

sonto340

Yeah, because of the three-game exclusivity deal that Nintendo signed with Sega.

1) Sonic: Lost World (Sonic Team for Wii U + Dimps for 3DS)
2) Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games (Sega Sports Japan for Wii U)
3) Sonic Boom (Big Red Button for Wii U and Sanzaru for 3DS)

Next-gen Sonic may definitely come to Wii U as well...

4) Next-gen Sonic (Sonic Team for Wii U / PS4 / Xbox One)

I'm just taking the information from this image. It correctly leaked the Sonic Boom TV series:

aLtncbsl.jpg

...so I don't see why it couldn't have leaked a PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U planned game as well.
Sonic Boom was announced forever ago, Name and all. We even knew the characters were going to be redesigned.

Oriel

The bandages are there to hold off their true power levels. They're Weighted Bandages.

The bandages are to mask the leg extension surgery Sonic and Knuckles got done while in Russia for the Sochi Olympics. I hear such cosmetic operations are big business over there.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Huh. HUH.

Well.

This could be cool? I'm not a huge fan of the new character designs but the game still might be cool.

The game LOOKS like it might be cool?

Man, this is WEIRD though. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I wonder if the Enerbeam's a dull catch-all mechanic used to activate puzzles and environment objects, a la Elebits. BRB better know to how balance the combat and platforming systems to this thing if it's as versatile as I'm predicting.

wrowa

With this, the 3-game deal with Sega expires and they can release Sonic for any platform they desire.

That's why Sonic Team is working on Sonic for next gen, and why Sonic Boom is getting outsourced.

I doubt that's it. For one, when signing an exclusivity deal you don't just sign for a number of games, but for specific titles. Sega isn't suddenly putting together an outsourced Sonic game quickly in order to get over with the deal; this is what has been planned from the beginning.

Also, this game seems to have been in development for quite some while already. At the beginning of this CryEngine 3 show-reel from last March you see footage from a Red Button Entertainment game that quite clearly seems to be Sonic Boom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8T3pe9G4Pc

The reason Sonic Team is not developing this is likely a different one: The whole Sonic Boom brand is targeted at kids from the US/Europe and I assume that they are outsourcing the game with the hopes that a western studio is culturally better in line with the taste of today's kids. It's probably also easier to cooperate with the animation studio this way.

Mr Swine

Banned
I sincerely doubt that is the reasoning at all. Sonic Boom will have been in development at the same time as Lost World and they obviously had no problem releasing that as a Nintendo exclusive.

I don't the next mainline Sonic is going to skip Nintendo platforms either.

Seeing how Lost world on Wii U hasn't barely sold more than 300k worldwide and I don't think this title will sell more than that. So yes, I think the next gen game won't come out in a Wii U with abysmal sales

NEO0MJ

I knew the designs for the TV show were gonna be ugly but not this much.

Have just been going through my 'The History of Sonic', specially the character section, with all the assets, good times, never forget.

aqbkqx.png

I never knew Eggman was so tall.

Ehh. I prefer it to going back to classic sonic.

What im not happy is they seem to be going to the stupid notion that sonics friends can keep up with sonic. Outside of that... *shrugs*

the trailer already looks faster than lost world so thats all I care about.

Oregano

aLtncbsl.jpg

...but didn't leak the Sonic Boom game for Wii U and 3DS?

I'm not saying the next game isn't going to be PS4/Xbone/Wii U but I don't get the implication that this game is outsourced as a means to weasel out of the Nintendo exclusivity deal.

I very much doubt they'll skip 3DS for the next game as well.

EDIT:
Seeing how Lost world on Wii U hasn't barely sold more than 300k worldwide and I don't think this title will sell more than that. So yes, I think the next gen game won't come out in a Wii U with abysmal sales

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Sonic Racing sold best on Wii U and Rayman Legends, even after the delay debacle, sold best on Wii U. There's no reason to stay exclusive but cutting out the Wii U entirely would likely be counterproductive, especially considering PS4 and Xbone won't have the userbase advantage that the 360 and PS3 had in those two cases.

Riki

I doubt that's it. For one, when signing an exclusivity deal you don't just sign for a number of games, but for specific titles. Sega isn't suddenly putting together an outsourced Sonic game quickly in order to get over with the deal; this is what has been planned from the beginning.

Also, this game seems to have been in development for quite some while already. At the beginning of this CryEngine 3 show-reel from last March you see footage from a Red Button Entertainment game that quite clearly seems to be Sonic Boom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8T3pe9G4Pc

The reason Sonic Team is not developing this is likely a different one: The whole Sonic Boom brand is targeted at kids from the US/Europe and I assume that they are outsourcing the game with the hopes that a western studio is culturally better in line with the taste of today's kids. It's probably also easier to cooperate with the animation studio this way.

Holy crap. That is totally Sonic Boom!

...but didn't leak the Sonic Boom game for Wii U and 3DS?

I'm not saying the next game isn't going to be PS4/Xbone/Wii U but I don't get the implication that this game is outsourced as a means to weasel out of the Nintendo exclusivity deal.

I very much doubt they'll skip 3DS for the next game as well.

Not necessarily to "weasel out of the Nintendo exclusivity deal." Nintendo and Sega could have planned two in-house Sonic titles and one outsourced Sonic title from the start.

My point was is that having an outsourced Sonic Boom release after Sonic: Lost World frees up internal resources for the next main Sonic game.

So instead of Sonic Team focusing on Sonic: Lost World and Sonic Boom (side series), they could focus on Sonic: Lost World and next-gen Sonic (presumably).

And now that Sonic: Lost World is out, they can go full-steam on the next-gen Sonic (presumably).

RobbieNick

Am I hearing right that the game is done by some former Jak and Daxster developers?

Anyway, at least it's not Sonic Team. It makes it more like a licensed spinoff rather than Sega Sonic. Remember folks, Sonic Boom is not replacing official Sega Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom