• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

lgHwkob.jpg

wrowa

I wonder if this might be a timed exclusive. Exclusivity deal or not, it seems a little weird to me that Sega would want to go exclusive with this game. They seem to be putting a lot of effort into the Sonic Boom brand and I'm sure that they've got high expactations/hopes for it, too. Whether or not the game is what fans long for, the trailer makes a really polished impression and using the CryEngine to power the game is not what you would expect from a cheap cash-grab, either.

Sonic is the most popular on Nintendo platforms, but in this specific case I'm surprised Sega is willing to place its eggs solely on a platform that might limit its potential. Well, in the console space at least. The 3DS version would likely easily become the best-selling one anyway.

Edit: Feels dumb to post this right after Nibel's quote! :lol

StevieP

Banned
Using CryEngine 3? No way man.

Wonderful 101 has points where it dips below 15. It's not the game, it's the system.

30 fps, definitely.

And Knack has points where it dips there too. Does that mean the PS4 is as weak as the Wii U? No, it does not.

The engine used means nearly nothing in comparison to what the engine is used to render on screen, and the amount of work done by the developer to optimize the experience in various ways.

Ridley327

Oh ho!

But that is weird, since it did sound like that Mario & Sonic at Sochi was the second one, but maybe they got some wiggle room since the announcement of the deal since it's not like you can put out that game on other systems?

EDIT: Yay for article writers not reading PR!

Jagsrock

Banned
The game looks good but the character models are definitely iffy. Knuckles being the worst. The faces look off I don't understand why they felt the need to change them like this. At least tails and amy look good....

Also also sonics body looks like a chili dog in the screen above

KOCMOHABT

It's safe to assume 30fps, right???

yes 100% CryEngine is 30 FPS (not 60 FPS on any console (so far)).

Let me reiterate. CryEngine is build to run 30 FPS on Xbox/PS3. It is definately super unlikely it will perform 60 FPS on Wii U all out of the sudden.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wonder if this might be a timed exclusive. Exclusivity deal or not, it seems a little weird to me that Sega would want to go exclusive with this game. They seem to be putting a lot of effort into the Sonic Boom brand and I'm sure that they've got high expactations/hopes for it, too. Whether or not the game is what fans long for, the trailer makes a really polished impression and using the CryEngine to power the game is not what you would expect from a cheap cash-grab, either.

Sonic is the most popular on Nintendo platforms, but in this specific case I'm surprised Sega is willing to place its eggs solely on a platform that might limit its potential. Well, in the console space at least. The 3DS version would likely easily become the best-selling one anyway.

Edit: Feels dumb to post this right after Nibel's quote! :lol

Thinking about it, given the (apparently) big boost SEGA will give to the franchise with the new series, new toys, lots of merchandise, I feel this could be an important title, sales-wise, for 3DS. Obviously, for Wii U as well, but 3DS has much, much more installed base and is much, much more alive than Wii U right now. Of course, if the potential of the reboot is fulfilled. After all, saleswise, picking this as exclusive wasn't as a bad idea as it could have been...

daman824

This honestly is a good thing. This isn't affecting the main sonic titles and letting a team who isn't sonic team make a sonic game for once might actually lead to some really positive changes in gameplay. The art direction for the stages already looks leagues better than anything since colors.

elfinke

First Sonic game since the Sega Master System (never owned a Mega Drive) that doesn't engender dismissive feelings in me at the outset.

Looked pretty neat, a pseudo-R&C vibe, which is always alright by me.

"Serving as a prequel to the stories revealed in the TV series the Sonic Boom video game will deliver a totally different experience to previous Sonic games with collaborative gameplay at its core. Developed in the U.S by California based Big Red Button Entertainment (Wii U) and Sanzaru Games (Nintendo 3DS) in collaboration with Sonic Team, this is the third title to be released as part of an exclusive deal with Nintendo. Sonic Boom will take advantage of the innovative hardware of both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, with traditional elements of Sonic games, such as speed, also featured. The videogame will also introduce exploration, combat and a new Enerbeam tether mechanic that will allow the Sonic Boom world to be discovered in totally unique ways."

1) Sonic: Lost World (Wii U, 3DS)

2) Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games (Wii U)

3) Sonic Boom (Wii U, 3DS)

With this, the 3-game deal with Sega expires and they can release Sonic for any platform they desire.

That's why Sonic Team is working on Sonic for next gen, and why Sonic Boom is getting outsourced.

RagnarokX

Remember when Nintendo said that Nintendo DS was a third pillar and not replacing GBA? With a TV show and game there's no reason for Sega not to want this to be the new direction for Sonic, but saying that it's not gives them an out if it fails and probably helps mitigate possible losses such an announcement would cause to sales of currently available products.

It reminds me to an extent of the recent Tomb Raider reboot where Square was so gun-ho about selling this new direction that they started making a movie based on the reboot before the game was even close to being finished with development.

Gameplay wise this could be good, but in terms of character design it is absolutely awful. Tails and Amy look okay, but Sonic and especially Knuckles look terrible. Overdesigned to hell.

Mesoian

Oh Sega, what have you done?

1540327_10152234671646796_482047152_o.jpg

:(

This looks fine, but amy not having pink arms while everyone else has their appropriate color matching arms just cements the fact that blue arms are weird.

Blue arms are weird

BLUE ARMS ARE WEIRD!

I'm not a fan of the long thin legs and big upper body design at all but who knows, it might grow on me. Hell I enjoyed watching sharks on rollerblades as a kid so why not? Lol. I miss saturday morning cartoons. :(

Mlatador

Banned
The dup-step music (or what it's called) in the trailer wasn't my cup of tea, not gonna lie, but everything else looked rather nice. Sonics character model needs maybe a little getting used to, but apart from that, I'm actually excited :)

A Sonic game using CryEngine 3 on Wii U? I have to admit I didn't see that coming, lol!!

Fit-GAF, what's that thing called where gym people mess up and their legs look really thin like these characters but have barrel chest?

Oregano

With this, the 3-game deal with Sega expires and they can release Sonic for any platform they desire.

That's why Sonic Team is working on Sonic for next gen, and why Sonic Boom is getting outsourced.

I sincerely doubt that is the reasoning at all. Sonic Boom will have been in development at the same time as Lost World and they obviously had no problem releasing that as a Nintendo exclusive.

I don't the next mainline Sonic is going to skip Nintendo platforms either.

Apart from the legs issue. I am looking forward to more gameplay details. Anything co-op and I'm in.

This may be my first sonic purchase ever! I never even bought one for the mega drive...

Riki

Outside of Sonic's legs being a bit funky, I actually like the new designs and got a really good vibe from that trailer.
The fact that it seems to be a throw back to the Sonic Adventure games or even Sonic Heroes is actually a huge plus to me.

I don't mind them changing things up and not making it a platforming game like people seem to want. A new studio making this could be just what the franchise really needs.

Also it's nice to see a game use Cry3 on WiiU, even if it's for Sonic. Sure looks pretty stunning so far.

So that means whatever they're doing, we'll see next year...Hope it works out.

MAN, I'm fucking EXHAUSTED, running like a chicken with its head cut off to keep updating... my very first article as a new Staff Member/Writer at SonicStadium!

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/02...-big-red-button-and-sanzaru-trailer-included/

Congrats man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom