• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.
So incase anyone is interested, concept art via the SEGA Blog:

http://blogs.sega.com/2014/02/06/se...y-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-with-sonic-boom/?0=1

12335875765_f533df0047.jpg

12336334234_d85df5ee19.jpg

12336334644_092416dafa.jpg

12335876865_a94fd9e172.jpg

Shiggy

This is an awful screenshot. Looks like a beta prototype shot.

The screenshots look more like an early alpha version or pitch version. I think if this is coming this fall, we shouldn't expect too big improvements either. Especially when it's a Sonic game.

Edit: Well, so much for being an early alpha version...
Game has been in development for two years

daman824

Holy crap. That is totally Sonic Boom!
Based on the graphical quality in that video, it looks like a ps4 and xb1 version of the game might have been planned at one point. There is a very noticeable downgrade in the trailer sega released.

So here's a weird thought... do you think Nintendo was waiting for this announcement before releasing the next Nintendo Direct? I mean, it's a big 3rd party title likely to draw in kids...

This is an awful screenshot. Looks like a beta prototype shot.

Funny enough, it reminds of that prototype Windy Valley screenshot for Sonic Adventure.

Two years in development? Well how big is BRB, anyway?

If SEGA wanted to quickly switch gears and make Skylanders Sonic a reality, then they should have gone full bore or something, assuming that BRB is as big as the eight cool dudes photographed on their site. Maybe this really is just a ruse to sell bendies to kids...

StevieP

Banned
Based on the graphical quality in that video, it looks like a ps4 and xb1 version of the game might have been planned at one point. There is a very noticeable downgrade in the trailer sega released.

When something is prototyped on a high end PC, it's not going to end up with the same results on a Wii U (or a PS4, for that matter).

Okay. So.. it's from former Naughty Dog people and Sly Cooper people and the character designs borrow from those kinds of games to a degree.

Sonic borrows from Sly.
Tails borrows from Jax.
Knuckles borrows from Crash.
Amy borrows from Ratchet.

It looks to have wide areas to run around in with occasional bursts of speed. None of the music in the game is featured in the trailer. I'm going to take a -I hope there is a demo- approach to this game.

Also, what does the 3DS game look like? I need to know that information.

Nilaul

"Check this out, a secret ruin"

No way... dude. Seriously? Whats up with those one liners. Gamer's aint dumb that they need to be explained what everything is. We can see that in 2 sec.

I got a Ratchet and Clank vibe from this trailer.

I like that.

As someone who considers Sonic & Knuckles to be the last great sonic game, I have to admit: I like what I see here. I am well aware of the Sonic viscious circle, so consider me cautiously optimistic.

RagnarokX

I doubt that's it. For one, when signing an exclusivity deal you don't just sign for a number of games, but for specific titles. Sega isn't suddenly putting together an outsourced Sonic game quickly in order to get over with the deal; this is what has been planned from the beginning.

Also, this game seems to have been in development for quite some while already. At the beginning of this CryEngine 3 show-reel from last March you see footage from a Red Button Entertainment game that quite clearly seems to be Sonic Boom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8T3pe9G4Pc

The reason Sonic Team is not developing this is likely a different one: The whole Sonic Boom brand is targeted at kids from the US/Europe and I assume that they are outsourcing the game with the hopes that a western studio is culturally better in line with the taste of today's kids. It's probably also easier to cooperate with the animation studio this way.

Before:
B3HdZuL.png

ETYOAYI.png

After:
O7kaY8m.png

SONIC%20BOOM%20VIDEO%20GAME%20-%2003%20Sonic_1391691295-noscale.jpg

Looks like this environment hasn't changed much if at all in a year.

daman824

When something is prototyped on a high end PC, it's not going to end up with the same results on a Wii U (or a PS4, for that matter).
Doesn't even look close though. Based on what they are saying about the game with it being more open and everything, it sounds like it would be better with ps4 and xb1 level tech. Whatever though, we'll see what sonic looks like on the ps4 next year.

yes 100% CryEngine is 30 FPS (not 60 FPS on any console (so far)).

Let me reiterate. CryEngine is build to run 30 FPS on Xbox/PS3. It is definately super unlikely it will perform 60 FPS on Wii U all out of the sudden.

I asked Big Red Button's Bob Rafei about the resolution and framerate we could expect from CryEngine Sonic:

The Wii U game is built on Crytek's CryEngine 3, but Rafei was coy on what that means for the game's framerate or resolution.

"I think we're revealing that soon, so I'm going to hold off on that," he says.

Also, what does the 3DS game look like? I need to know that information.

Outside of saying Sanzaru was developing it, we did not see hide nor hair of the 3DS game today. All Sega said is the Wii U and 3DS version would be unique, so probably like Lost World.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Knuckles would work best as an African-Aztec outdoorsman who rap-speaks like Muhammad Ali, but I'll never get that lucky.

That would work too.

Watching the HD trailer and getting used to the new character design I think this has the potential to be a good game. Is this going to have a 4 players co-op?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Getting huge Jak & Daxter vibes of this game, with some Sonic Heroes thrown in. Watch this game end up being a lot better then Lost World.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This thread is longer than Ground Zeroes, even if no one posts anymore.

That would work too.

Watching the HD trailer and getting used to the new character design I think this has the potential to be a good game. Is this going to have a 4 players co-op?

According to Rafei, most of the game's areas feature only two characters at a time, so I'd guess two-player co-op.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom