• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looks OK from behind when he's fast running, otherwise he looks just plain awful.

Knuckles looks like Knuckles. The only problem I have with these designs is they are too leggy. Count your blessings, though. At least Knuckles doesn't look like this:

tumblr_mu2gs39MVZ1ryjfrjo1_1280.png

But yeah, all their faces seem spot on, they just look like they've been tortured via "the rack" and Knuckles has been injected with steroids WHILE being tortured.

So apparently theres one more exclusive Sonic game coming according to Nintendos VP of licensing. He specifically emphasized:

So i'm guessing Mario and Sonic at the Soichi Olympics isn't part of the deal like everyone assumed.

I had to listen to my audio recording again. The exact quote:

"The new Sonic Boom game is the third title to be released as part of this exclusive three-title deal between Sega and Nintendo, and promises to be the most exciting one yet." - NoA VP of Marketing Steve Singer.

So unless he later recanted, it's the last one.

Riki

Previous Mario and Sonic games has always been exclusive because they are using Nintendo IPs, it's strange for me they are including this game as part of this exclusivity deal.

Makes perfect sense as far as Nintendo is concerned.
Want the new Sonic game based on the new show and toys? Need a WiiU.

Ah! Misunderstood!

On further analysis this actually kind of looks like the type of open 3d platformer people around here have been asking for. I just hope it can at least mostly deliver.

Meohsix

Well Iwata Said Nintendo “Hasn't Been Targeting Children Enough”
So if a Cartoony Skylanders looking exclusive Sonic game doesn't scream "HEY KIDS BUY A WII U!" i don't know what will.

Gsnap

Previous Mario and Sonic games has always been exclusive because they are using Nintendo IPs, it's strange for me they are including this game as part of this exclusivity deal.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to include Mario and Sonic as a part of the 3 exclusive games deal since there have been Mario and Sonic games in the past, and there will surely be more in the future.

A Nintendo VP says it's the second and guys from Sega say it's the 3rd?

I guess we'll just wait and see.

Picture of the team they posted to day on their Twitter:

bf0k6yjcmaagtq6hulyh.jpg

I count between 60 and 70 people.

That's weird, because I went over to have a look at their website and the only staff photo on the mobile site showed eight people, with particular reference to two (presumably the two who established the studio).

Anyway, I think the character designs here are fucking atrocious, but I think a fresh non-Sonic Team development might be good for the franchise. I've no love at all for Sonic so I won't fall prey to the Sonic Cycle, but interested to see more of this mainly because of the developers.

Ceezsa

Man I get a Ninja Turtles feel from this.

Tails-Mikey-short and orange-yellow
Sonic-Leo-Fit and Blue
Knuckle-Ralph-Buff and Red
Amy-Don I guess-Slim and purple-pink

Amir0x

Banned
That shit looked pretty ace visually for a Wii U game, but as always gotta be apprehensive about any new Sonic release. Bad memories

TunaLover

Makes perfect sense as far as Nintendo is concerned.
Want the new Sonic game based on the new show and toys? Need a WiiU.
What I mean is SEGA announced a 3 game exclusivity deal, what I find weird is they included Mario and Sonic as part this deal, considering Mario and Sonic always has been exclusive.

It should be:
-Sonic Lost World
-Sonic Boom
-New Sonic game

Riki

That shit looked pretty ace visually for a Wii U game, but as always gotta be apprehensive about any new Sonic release. Bad memories
Well, this one does have the benefit of not being made by Sonic Team, so there's that!
What I mean is SEGA announced a 3 game exclusivity deal, what I find weird is they included Mario and Sonic as part this deal, considering Mario and Sonic always has been exclusive.

It should be:
-Sonic Lost World
-Sonic Boom
-New Sonic game

Yeah, misunderstood what was said! Sorry!

GooeyHeat

Well the character designs are... something.
Sonic's scarf just makes me think that it's going to get caught on something while Sonic is running and he is going to get strangled and die.
I really like the goggles on Tails. A lot of characters have useless goggles, but since he's all about flying, whether in the plane or on his own, it's a perfect fit.
Knuckles... sorry I can't think of anything else other than the leg days that he skipped.
Amy is actually better than her Adventure-onward version; the fact that her dress actually goes down instead of horizontally is a big plus.

As for the video... the fact that ex-Naughty Dog employees (that worked on Crash Bandicoot, no less!) are basically ripping off Ratchet and Clank's style sounds a hell of a lot better than anything Sonic Team has put out recently.

Keeping an eye on this one...

Zen

Banned
Nintendo needs to buy the IP already and put Sonic and his friends out of their misery. Yuji Naka is probably crying himself to sleep.

Nka is a hack who forced out the people who were arguable as much/more the creative forces behind Sonic. His contribution was his amazing coding and the initial idea 'to make him fast', nothing more. He oversaw ruining Sonic plenty of times so don't put him on a pedestal.

Onesimos

The character designs are not what I expected, especially Knuckles. Let us hope this game is good and is unlike some of the past Sonic games that dissappoints.

D-e-f-

Banned
Well Iwata Said Nintendo “Hasn't Been Targeting Children Enough”
So if a Cartoony Skylanders looking exclusive Sonic game doesn't scream "HEY KIDS BUY A WII U!" i don't know what will.

He didn't really say that. It's a wishy washy translation since there were multiple people interpreting it in various ways and that's just the one everybody clings to.

I'm trying to figure out the counting.

Seems like went middle row then up then down... but it seems...
Yeah odd thing to notice just found it weird

You're not the only one :D

Btw, I'm also noticing that it's always an amazing spectacle when a Sonic game gets announced. 20+ pages already for a game series nobody supposedly gives a shit about.

GooeyHeat

Well, Sanzaru is doing the 3DS version, but I haven't played anything by them. I see that they did the PSP spinoffs of Ratchet & Clank, as well as, more recently, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Any impressions on these (or even on The Sly Collection, just for an idea of technical performance)?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yep, this is now my most anticipated game of 2014. Haters gonna hate. An interesting new gameplay style. Multiple playable characters being brought back in what looks like a good way. Ex Naughty Dog developers. I've got a very strong feeling this game is going to make Sonic Team look silly.

s_mirage

I don't understand the designers on this at all. Remember the short, pudgy Classic Sonic design that virtually everyone loved in Generations? Why have they gone in exactly the opposite direction to that?

Oh well, maybe the game will actually turn out decent despite the designs.

jimi_dini

That could be good or bad depending on which version of Ex-Naughty Dog employee it is! Super cinematic or joyful platformers

Wiki:
Babak "Bob" Rafei (Persian: بابک رافعی‎) is an Iranian Video game art director, character animator and concept artist.[1] He is the co-founder and CEO of Big Red Button Entertainment, Inc. A graduate of Parson's School of Design, Rafei was the very first employee of Naughty Dog, joining them in early 1995 to work on Crash Bandicoot. Other notable works include Jak and Daxter and Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune.[1]

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Wow, the devs of Sly 4 are doing the 3DS version? Even the 3DS version has a chance at being good! Roided Knuckles aside things are looking up so far. I look forward to seeing proper gameplay of both versions come E3.

TunaLover

I don't understand the designers on this at all. Remember the short, pudgy Classic Sonic design that virtually everyone loved in Generations? Why have they gone in exactly the opposite direction to that?

Oh well, maybe the game will actually turn out decent despite the designs.
They are targeting this with the TV show for a 6-11 age demography, the people who loved chubby retro Sonic is older. I'm quite disconnected with kid's taste those days though :p, it seems they like edgy, extreme things.

trixx

Yep, this is now my most anticipated game of 2014. Haters gonna hate. An interesting new gameplay style. Multiple playable characters being brought back in what looks like a good way. Ex Naughty Dog developers. I've got a very strong feeling this game is going to make Sonic Team look silly.

I wish i can go in with that attitude.

Been apprehensive about franchise as a whole but since i though lost world was going to be better than 3d land at initial reveal. I don't even have an opinion now. Definitely not my most anticipated wii u title though.

NotLiquid

I would have expected a Nintendo Direct or something. So bizarre.

We might see some footage in one soon hopefully. I'm surprised this game wasn't on their release lists, guess there's still a good amount of stuff we don't know about.

Also, that old thread about wanting Naughty Dog to go back to more "game play" oriented games instead of cinematic stuff is kind of funny in hindsight. This feels like an answer to that.

D-e-f-

Banned
from the press release:

About Big Red Button Games:

Based in Los Angeles, CA, BRB was founded in 2009 by Bob Rafei, Jeff Lander, and veterans from leading gaming studios such as Naughty Dog, Heavy Iron, Luxo Flux and High Impact Games, to leverage team’s specialization and prior experience in character action game development.

We might see some footage in one soon hopefully. I'm surprised this game wasn't on their release lists, guess there's still a good amount of stuff we don't know about.

Well that's how unannounced games work, don't they? They don't appear on random public release schedules :)

javac

I almost wonder if Nintendo's reconsidering how they use them. This has to be close to the longest we've gone without one, and I wonder if it's tied to their recent poor performance...

Hmm I guess that would explain why we haven't seen one in a while...although I think we did get one a month ago? I guess we might just be impatient! :p I wonder why they didn't wait till E3 to show this.

EDIT: You guys above are right. I guess it makes sense overall!

Also I just realized that the game is called Sonic Boom...as in
the sound associated with the shock waves created by an object traveling through the air faster than the speed of sound
Why did it take me this long? o_0

I seriously don't know what to think about this. With all due respect to the team working on this project, I don't know why Sega thinks this is a good idea, but no wonder they're stressing it's a "spin off", which means they're just testing the waters as far away as possible, to see if this is what people want from the series, and if it's a good direction for the series to go in. It just kind of feels like something you'd expect in a market research meeting or something, except it's actually happening and feels like a bad joke.

I see what they're trying to do, but I can't help but feel this'll fall flat on its face, and it'll be something Sega will desperately try to forget.

That said, I do like that Amy's been brought back as a main cast member, following the support Peach had rejoining the playable cast in SM3DW.

Knuckles though.......................man.....and Sonic......I can't.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I almost wonder if Nintendo's reconsidering how they use them. This has to be close to the longest we've gone without one, and I wonder if it's tied to their recent poor performance...

No its not, we had a ND in december, we have them every other month(and not even this early, usually is like "month the 14" or whatever)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I wish i can go in with that attitude.

Been apprehensive about franchise as a whole but since i though lost world was going to be better than 3d land at initial reveal i'm don't even have an opinion

I too was burned by Lost World, but I've got a good feeling about this one. Largely because of the developers involved. If this was being made by Sonic Team I'd probably be a bit more cautious given how Lost World turned out despite how good it looked when it was revealed.

atbigelow

I like wubstep, but didn't like it here.

Knuckles looks ridiculous, Tails looks great, Sonic a bit too leggy, Amy no opinion.

...I think I might buy this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom