• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Not sure if this was posted but USGamer has a preview. Good read.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/sonic-boom-brings-a-brand-new-sonic-to-wii-u-3ds-and-tv

Here's the excerpt about the game.
Big Red Button CEO and visual director Bob Rafei - who was instrumental in Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter - describes the Sonic Boom game for Wii U as "wide linear," but not necessarily open world. Instead, Sonic Boom will feature interconnected hubs, with the game's narrative determining which two characters are available for play in each area and all four characters featuring in boss levels. Every character brings something to the table, from Sonic's speed, to Amy's agility, Knuckles' strength, and Tails' range. There's also co-op play available.

"We have a critical path that we want to make sure every player can access, and there's secondary paths as well," explains Rafei. "There's a healthy dose of platforming in the game. We do have 2D sections in the game and the 3D exploration is all about that. That's not to say that's all the game is."

Rafei says it's "hard to say" at this point what the split between exploration and combat will be, but that combat will be a "major component". He also tells me that Big Red Button has found a compelling use for the Wii U GamePad, but declined to give details at this reveal. The Wii U game is built on Crytek's CryEngine 3, but Rafei was coy on what that means for the game's framerate or resolution.

"I think we're revealing that soon, so I'm going to hold off on that," he says.

Since everyone is posting the bad screencaps again and again... let´s post some of the good for a change.

I still like how the game looks aside from the characters.

boom16ekm3.gif

boom2rekey.gif

What worries me about this game footage is the freaking 'boosting sections'. Everything else looks ok, but who knows how much of what and where. Eh...

I just want to point out again how bad this character model animates.

VanWinkle

I'm going to wait for more media before making too much of a judgement. I don't think the Sonic and Knuckles models look good, but I don't know, maybe I'll come around to them in time. I like the idea of a Sonic that's not insanely linear and one more like R&C in scope.

Sanzaru on the 3DS version has me REALLY curious. Sly 4 was great.

This is partially why this reboot is annoying me, though I'm hearing conflicting messages about whether it's a reboot or just a spin-off that'll run alongside the 'main' franchise.

They finally got a design and overall-aesthetic for the modern games that was nice and appealing for the most part, so why throw that all out almost immediately afterwards?

They were pretty clear in the presentation that this is an offshoot. Modern Sonic isn't going anywhere for now.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/sonic-boom-brings-a-brand-new-sonic-to-wii-u-3ds-and-tv

"Sonic Boom is a new branch of the Sonic universe. It won't be replacing the modern Sonic fans have grown to adore. It's just taking the franchise to another level," says Sega of America senior brand manager Marcella Churchill.

Rafei repeated the same sentiment to me.

My guess is it's like the Nintendo DS not being a part of the Game Boy line; if it doesn't take off Sega can say it's just an experiment, if it does, that's your Sonic for the foreseeable future.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Switching characters to use their one unique move is a good idea? Lol

Character switching for making use of different character abilities for different approaches to level design is absolutely a good idea. Also even if you're only talking about Heroes and not how this game is doing it, you're still wrong about each character only having one unique move. Only Sonic had the light speed dash. Only Sonic had the homing attack. Only Sonic had the wall jumping thing. Only Sonic had the little dash move. Only Sonic had the tornado attack thing. Only Tails could fly. Only Tails could shoot enemies from a standing position. Only Knuckles had melee combat attacks. Only Knuckles could break through objects. Only Knuckles had the triangle dive. Then there was the speed differences between all three.

Yeah sorry but you're talking bullshit. Besides even if Sonic Heroes did only have 1 unique move per character, which it didn't, it wouldn't stop this game from doing the character switching mechanic in completely different ways. As I said, the core team idea was a good idea even if the implementation in Heroes had problems. It's an idea that's absolutely worth revisiting in a new game in a new way.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What worries me about this game footage is the freaking 'boosting sections'. Everything else looks ok, but who knows how much of what and where. Eh...

I just want to point out again how bad this character model animates.

congress, that is a still picture.

Sweet design. Sonic looks a little clunky but like the trailer said, still a work in progress.

Love the idea of having a series of shorts with it on Cartoon Network! If only some similar companies took up that idea... (Nintendo + Insomniac)

Another exclusive for the WiiU definitely helps too! Hope there's more over the next few weeks.

Sonic's character model in the show did not translate well into the game. He looks awkward as hell. Everyone else looks fine (although I wish they hadn't beefed up Knuckles to such an extent).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Former Naughty Dog guys, huh? Okay they might be able to understand how to work with the limitations of 3DS and have fun design.

Edit: Oh, it is Sanzaru Games doign the 3DS version? I see them doing port work... not sure now...

H6rdc0re

Banned
There's a lot of close minded hating going on. I'm not judging a game by 3 seconds of gameplay footage and by how character models look like. Things should change/evolve. If you don't like change then keep playing Call of Duty the rest of your life.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Not sure if this was posted but USGamer has a preview. Good read.

Here's the excerpt about the game.

Combat being a major component worries me slightly. I suppose it just depends on how it''s implemented. If this was Sonic Team then alarm bells would be ringing, but considering who the devs are I remain optimistic. Nevertheless I hope combat is secondary to platforming and exploration.

This looks... very strange. Awful Knuckles character model aside, I don't think it looks too bad. I'm not convinced it's going to be a good game, but it will certainly be interesting to see how it shapes up!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since the gameplay details are out now do you want them updated in the OP here and the title changed or a new thread?

I'm fine with either.

Please tell me you didnt say "and?" to your picture, that is a still, thats trying to prove something about animation.

Are you that dense? I'm certain it's not hard to understand that he has a running animation, and by looking at that picture which is a still from said animation, you can see that he has been contorted in an awkward position.

I would have posted an actual clip of his run, but there isn't one handy. You just have to go watch the footage closely if you want to see it in action.

In other words, I am not saying that a picture is animation. I never thought I would have to tell someone this.

Edit:

Ah, here's an ok one with his run. His legs are really odd, and his arms out like that is just like the animation from Sonic 06. Bleh.

v1oz

The graphics look good. Nice shaders and nice lighting. It doesn't look flat like most Sonic games, things actually pop out more.

Just needs some AA and more refinement to the art.

Sydle

For a spin-off series the game looks fine if you ignore the character design. Sonic is bad and Knuckles is one of the worst designs I've ever seen.

Did they do some kind of testing to prove that the classic designs were a turn off for some gamers, or do they just want this to clearly look like a spin off?

wrowa

Unfortunately, kids are going to love this game and grown ass men will despise it.

Or it might turn out to be a good game. This bad-mouthing of the whole game based on a one minute trailer is ridiculous; especially since most of it is just due to the character designs, which couldn't be less important to the actual gameplay qualities of the title.

It's a shame, really. It seems that Big Red Button consists of talented people who could pull of a good game -- but, nope, they don't even get a chance to prove themselves.

For a spin-off series the game looks fine if you ignore the character design. Sonic is bad and Knuckles is one of the worst designs I've ever seen.

Did they do some kind of testing to prove that the classic designs were a turn off for some gamers, or do they just want this to clearly look like a spin off?

The designs are supposed to appeal to kids. Not to kids of the 90's, but to today's kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom