• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

III-V

I have the X800D, I'm pretty sure HDR is working I'm just confused as to why it would affect things like the black borders on a movie.

Do I have to mess around with the RGB settings or what?

It is the backlight responsible for blowing this out. Remember that the set does not have local dimming. I would suggest reducing the backlight to a setting that you can live with, although this will reduce your peak brightness. The contrast will stay the same.

Alebelly

Game and graphics do handle the scaling differently.

Are you sure, because i've tested it from 720p to 4k, and there is literally no discernible difference. Certain modes, when changing, do cause the picture to reload, game and graphics modes do not reload when switching between the two. rtings also says they are the same, even though the addendum at the end of the review only mentions graphics mode.

But hey, what do I know.

III-V

Are you sure, because i've tested it from 720p to 4k, and there is literally no discernible difference. Certain modes, when changing, do cause the picture to reload, game and graphics modes do not reload when switching between the two. rtings also says they are the same, even though the addendum at the end of the review only mentions graphics mode.

But hey, what do I know.

I have never tested myself, another Gaffer had posted this many months ago. I can try to dig it up. I think Graphics offers pixel perfect scaling while gaming does something slightly different.

Alebelly

I have the X800D, I'm pretty sure HDR is working I'm just confused as to why it would affect things like the black borders on a movie.

Do I have to mess around with the RGB settings or what?

Only HDMI ports 2 and 3 support 4k HDR.

If you're using a PS4 to play movies (or games), change RGB from Auto to Full.

Or try going to Video Options in the tv and change Color Space from Auto to sRGB

If on PC go to Nvidia control panel, under Display --> Change Resolution, change Limited to Full

And I must ask (sorry) are your HDMI cables compliant?

Alebelly

I have never tested myself, another Gaffer had posted this many months ago. I can try to dig it up. I think Graphics offers pixel perfect scaling while gaming does something slightly different.

No worries, I'm pretty happy with the Tv as is right now, loving it, thanks :)

Only HDMI ports 2 and 3 support 4k HDR.

If you're using a PS4 to play movies (or games), change RGB from Auto to Full.

Or try going to Video Options in the tv and change Color Space from Auto to sRGB

If on PC go to Nvidia control panel, under Display --> Change Resolution, change Limited to Full

And I must ask (sorry) are your HDMI cables compliant?

I am using a Chromecast Ultra so it is fully compliant, I haven't tried my PS4 or PC in it.

The Chromecast is in the HDMI 2 port.

I will fiddle with the settings and see if I can get it looking better, I haven't got around to messing around with the picture yet.

EDIT: Turns out I was just thinking of the native Plex app, Chromecast doesn't have grey bars thankfully. Panic over.

GazzaGSi

Finally got my 55" up on the wall today after parting ways with my beloved 55W905.

I'm sure it can be connected up better so thought I'd ask here.

Current setup is PS4 Pro to HDMI2 (enhanced turned on)
Optical lead from Pro to receiver (Oldish ish receiver so not HDCP 2.2)

Receiver does have a HDMI ARC so can I leave the Pro connected to HDMI2, run another HDMI lead from HDMI3-ARC to receiver and remove the optical cable? Never needed to use ARC before so just wondered if I'm right in thinking any sound from a source connected to the TV will go through HDMI3 to the receiver?

On a separate note, holy shit what a difference. I have the 43" with a Pro upstairs but seeing the image quality with it on the 55" is mega, over the moon with it. Tried Ratchet & Clank first to test HDR and then the Division and it looks astounding :)

Just hoping to get it connected more conveniently as I've 3 remotes - TV, receiver remote and Virgin TV remote. The receiver is a Sony so think they can be synced so one could be put aside.

Ushay

Yo GAF, I'm looking at picking up the X900E this summer. Now I need to know the UK equivalent model and any variants I should consider.

Been hearing great things about this set.

Yo GAF, I'm looking at picking up the X900E this summer. Now I need to know the UK equivalent model and any variants I should consider.

Not sure what the UK variant is but I have this set and absolutely love it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Does the update add PIP and Bluetooth headphone support?

Mine is updating right now.

No and No.

PIP exists in Android 7, but only between some android apps and a input source [youtube popup window].

Entry model is 49XE9005.

ZOONAMI

No and No.

PIP exists in Android 7, but only between some android apps and a input source [youtube popup window].

Entry model is 49XE9005.

So yeah it can do an app and a cable box on pip which is all I really wanted. Can now put on sports or whatever and still watch hbo go.

Still don't understand no Bluetooth headphones though.

Finally got my 55" up on the wall today after parting ways with my beloved 55W905.

Receiver does have a HDMI ARC so can I leave the Pro connected to HDMI2, run another HDMI lead from HDMI3-ARC to receiver and remove the optical cable? Never needed to use ARC before so just wondered if I'm right in thinking any sound from a source connected to the TV will go through HDMI3 to the receiver?

On a separate note, holy shit what a difference. I have the 43" with a Pro upstairs but seeing the image quality with it on the 55" is mega, over the moon with it. Tried Ratchet & Clank first to test HDR and then the Division and it looks astounding :)

Just hoping to get it connected more conveniently as I've 3 remotes - TV, receiver remote and Virgin TV remote. The receiver is a Sony so think they can be synced so one could be put aside.

Is there a 55inch model for the US market?

cjp

A worthy upgrade then? I'm still on a W905A and I don't really want to part with it. Although the new LG OLEDs look tempting.

A worthy upgrade then? I'm still on a W905A and I don't really want to part with it. Although the new LG OLEDs look tempting.

I'm in the same boat, i'm still on my 55W905 and honestly i still love it. But i'm itching to jump into HDR and getting a scorpio or Pro this fall. Gazza, seems like it's been a worthwhile upgrade for you?

GazzaGSi

I'm in the same boat, i'm still on my 55W905 and honestly i still love it. But i'm itching to jump into HDR and getting a scorpio or Pro this fall. Gazza, seems like it's been a worthwhile upgrade for you?

Huge upgrade, I'm more than happy with it. I was fairly concerned at first letting the w905 go but after firing it up the difference is exceptional. Only tweaked the settings slightly to more my style and the clarity and colour is fantastic. I've played division for over 1000 hours and loving the grind again on the xd80 as it's looking like a new game (content aside ofc).

Only had the 905 up for sale for 2 days and it sold so the cost of the xd80/upgrade was well worth it.

ghibli99

Just updated my 43" X800D... HDR doesn't seem to be working on my PS4 Pro now (worked perfectly before). I have to set the TV to standard to get an image to appear. Otherwise, I get a black screen with occasional flickering. Not cool. :(

BTails

Just updated my 43" X800D... HDR doesn't seem to be working on my PS4 Pro now (worked perfectly before). I have to set the TV to standard to get an image to appear. Otherwise, I get a black screen with occasional flickering. Not cool. :(

Uhoh... I've been playing Doom since doing the update (49" X800D), so I haven't noticed any issues. I'll boot up Horizon when I get home to check.

Dineren

Banned

Anyone know if this is a common issue or just a one-off? Just picked up this TV and now I'm a bit worried about updating it when I set it up.

ghibli99

And now Windows 10 is only identifying this TV as 1080p... any attempt to change it to 3840x2160 results in a black screen with one line at the top before it rolls back to 1080p automatically. Everything worked perfectly before this update. I'm really annoyed right now... hopefully I can get this figured this out.

Madness

Had the entire motherboard swapped. No wonder it went so quick. The HDMI1 port is very weakly connected to the motherboard. The only fucked up thing is that the tv now shows as a XBR-65X750D. There is no serial number information or anything.

I was planning on picking up this tv in the 49" but saw an intriguing deal on BJs.com

I ended up picking up a Samsung UN55KU6290 for $400 flat (free shipping and tax free). Granted the HDR may not be as nice but I'm paying like half the price...

DieH@rd

Banned
It's official. I simply CANNOT get 43XD8005 around me [Serbia & Hungary]. The model is totally phased out and nobody is selling it any more. All that is available is shitty 43XE8005 for a bit over 1000€ [49XE9005 is bit over 1.7K€].

Looks like I will have to wait some future 43XF8005 in march of 2018, or whatever it will be called then, and be ready to pay at least 1K€ when it appears. :-/

Madness

^ Can't you look for the set on Ebay.de or whatever the German site is? Would assume you could find either some refurbish for cheaper or some new for a better price than that in euros.

III-V

And now Windows 10 is only identifying this TV as 1080p... any attempt to change it to 3840x2160 results in a black screen with one line at the top before it rolls back to 1080p automatically. Everything worked perfectly before this update. I'm really annoyed right now... hopefully I can get this figured this out.

Have you attempted a system reset? home - settings - storage and reset - reset
and if that doesn't fix things then try factory reset.

Unplug everything from the TV before doing resets.

Dineren

Banned
I'm liking the TV so far, but everything about the interface is so slow. Is that normal? Not a deal breaker, but hitting the button on the remote and then having to wait is annoying.

I'm getting a lot of banding in Gravity Rush 2 and Persona 5 on this TV. Is there anything I can do about that? Ive had it for half a year but I think I'm just noticing it now because there's a lot of large sections of flat colour in these two games.

Everything seems to be matching up correctly in terms of settings (full colour space in game and full colour space on tv, etc)

Dineren

Banned
I've used a lot of different Android devices and haven't seen an interface this slow. Still, everything else on the TV is great, I'm glad I bought it.

ghibli99

Have you attempted a system reset? home - settings - storage and reset - reset
and if that doesn't fix things then try factory reset.

Unplug everything from the TV before doing resets.
Hey man! Yeah, I did a standard reset and factory reset. Didn't help. Tried reinstalling drivers, DDU, etc. Wasn't helping at all. Then when I'd try to install the latest NVIDIA driver, it'd crash and then Windows wouldn't boot unless in safe mode. LOL What finally worked is after doing DDU, d/l'ing the NVIDIA driver via Windows Update, which was from a couple months ago. After that, everything was back to normal. HDR on my PS4 Pro also seems to be behaving correctly now, even though I didn't change anything. So bizarre, but for now, everything seems to be working. Whew! :)

Top Bottom