• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Jarnet87

Nice! But will it still be a good investment at the end of the year do you think or are there any up and coming ones which could supplant it?

The Sony X800E and Samsung MU6300 (2017 versions of the X800D and KU6300) got worse reviews then the 2016 counterparts so for the remainder of this year the 2016 models are still the best TV in the 40" range it looks like.

III-V

Yup. I'm using the X80D! It came with the latest update and you can switch between it and HDR10 at will.

I did not realize this, thanks.

Yes, you can switch between HDR 10 and hybrid log gamma (HLG) in:

advanced settings -> video options -> HDR mode

Hey guys, I think I'm getting some weird HDMI handshake issues. When connected to my PC via HDMI 2, all my other PC screens will go black for a few seconds every once in a while. This only happens when the TV is off, btw. It also goes away if I plug it into HDMI 3 or 4, but I need to be plugged into HDMI 2 or 3 so I can get Full range with RGB.

Anyone have this issue?

Reckoner

Amazon.de just had a flash sale of the KD43XD8005 for 630. I managed to reserve one, but I'm still not sure if I'm going forward with the purchase.

Toe-Knee

Been playing with HLG HDR and it actually can make some games look way better. It correctly deals with skies and makes it so you can see through windows while indoors. It even helps bring out some detail lost in bright highlights. I recommend booting up Assassin's Creed Unity to see what I mean.

Just messing around, and I super know that it isn't correct or "right". I just think it's really interesting as it helps paint a picture of what HDR can do for whatever you try it on.

Edit: Seriously. I just tried GTA V and HLG makes the clouds look nice and the stained glass windows of Michael's front door actually visible. Y'all should give it a look.

So are you saying you are 'forcing' hdr on non hdr material?

Interesting if so I've never thought to try that.

I'll give it a look of this update ever comes out for the xd8305

Madness

Turning HDR on without it actually being HDR just oversaturates the image and reflects inaccurate colors. You may end up liking it, but it would be similar to changing color to like 85, changing tints and black levels, liv color to high etc. Some things may look 'better', but a lot looks worse. Some 4K demos on YouTube have faux HDR applied before they uploaded the image and I can easily tell.

Shin-Ra

HOME > Settings > Network > Remote device settings
Control the TV remotely from your PlayStation 4, or from an app on your phone/other mobile device.

Could be deeper integration than HDMI CEC (Bravia Sync) allows coming, or there could be nothing!

III-V

Turning HDR on without it actually being HDR just oversaturates the image and reflects inaccurate colors. You may end up liking it, but it would be similar to changing color to like 85, changing tints and black levels, liv color to high etc. Some things may look 'better', but a lot looks worse. Some 4K demos on YouTube have faux HDR applied before they uploaded the image and I can easily tell.

no lies detected

no lies detected

Yup. It's just that HLG HDR is nothing like HDR10 in that it doesn't over-saturate colors (it actually slightly mutes some) or have any harsh changes in the picture that you get when trying to force HDR10. All it attempts to do is display highlights and shadows correctly, which in all games I've tried, does very well at. I have yet to find one real disadvantage to not using HLG HDR besides the slightly less-colorful oranges/reds (might also be because of my adv. temp calibration). I'm a real stickler for getting the most accurate picture possible, but I really like what messing with HLG gets and I plan on playing everything with it enabled from here on out.

I did some tests today too, btw, with games that already have HDR and found the results to be pretty interesting. I booted up Infamous SS and kept going back and forth between HDR10 and HDR being disabled in the game's settings with HLG being enabled on the TV. What I noticed was that HLG provides, in terms of highlights and making a game less "flat" looking, a decent attempt at creating a real HDR experience. The skies and shadows all looked similar to the real deal HDR implementation, with of course the variances being in color and peak brightness.

So yeah, give it a real shot on some games! It's interesting just as a sort of way to go back to old games and see them in a different way. Games like Batman Arkham Knight and GTA V look particularly great and have me dreaming of what they could look like with HDR properly implemented and with all the benefits.

III-V

Yup. It's just that HLG HDR is nothing like HDR10 in that it doesn't over-saturate colors (it actually slightly mutes some) or have any harsh changes in the picture that you get when trying to force HDR10. All it attempts to do is display highlights and shadows correctly, which in all games I've tried, does very well at. I have yet to find one real disadvantage to not using HLG HDR besides the slightly less-colorful oranges/reds (might also be because of my adv. temp calibration). I'm a real stickler for getting the most accurate picture possible, but I really like what messing with HLG gets and I plan on playing everything with it enabled from here on out.

One interesting thing to note is that the HLG is a piece-wise gamma function and shares the same gamma function as SDR below 100 nits.

This allows TV stations to broadcast HDR and SDR in the same channel - the content does not have to be re-mastered.

So I just need to spend more time thinking about HLG I hadn't realized it was already upon us.

vegohead

Currently playing life is strange with HLG, night and day difference for the backgrounds and clouds. Really cool how it's just one setting so you can turn it off with ease from the action menu.

This is the TV that keeps on giving :)

Hastati

Loving this tv but want a bit more sound without spending a fortune. Anyone have any recommendations for around $200? Wondering if there's some cheap addition that works well with this model, Sony's offerings all seem to exceed my budget.

Currently playing life is strange with HLG, night and day difference for the backgrounds and clouds. Really cool how it's just one setting so you can turn it off with ease from the action menu.

This is the TV that keeps on giving :)

Ayeee, glad someone tried it out :)

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Any UK gaffers with this TV got it wall mounted? Which wall mount did you use? I'm redecorating the living room and looking to wall mount it and I'm looking for recommendations of a wall mount.

Any UK gaffers with this TV got it wall mounted? Which wall mount did you use? I'm redecorating the living room and looking to wall mount it and I'm looking for recommendations of a wall mount.

I'm just using this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003U46SWC/

Seems fine with no issues

qFpTeZC.jpg

Ayeee, glad someone tried it out :)
Tried it out myself thanks to you. Man I'm really liking what I see on certain games. Also basically got to try it on all my games thru my screenshot gallery, most games benefited from it imo. Might just stick to it myself going forward.

Anyone having an sound sync issues with this TV? The audio on mine isn't matching up with the picture, it's especially noticeable when using the Youtube App on the xbox, but I'm seeing it generally too.

EvB

So be honest people: Do you think this will be the best Bang-For-Buck 43-Inch 4K TV in the UK by the time Scorpio rolls around or should I wait to see what else comes?

The price tag is looking like £630-ish so far and I'm willing to cap out at £650 or £700.

Nah, the be elephant in the room is that it's not really an HDR set, it' can accept an HDR signal, but there will be no benefit over feeding it an SDR signal, especially from a game console.
The older Samsung prices are dropping now, I saw a 49inch Samsung KS9000 in John Lewis for under 1k, so the 43inch models must be even lower. That range is UHD Premium certified and have local dimming.

Nah, the be elephant in the room is that it's not really an HDR set, it' can accept an HDR signal, but there will be no benefit over feeding it an SDR signal, especially from a game console.
The older Samsung prices are dropping now, I saw a 49inch Samsung KS9000 in John Lewis for under 1k, so the 43inch models must be even lower. That range is UHD Premium certified and have local dimming.

But it is a HDR set, just not as competent at brightness(nits) as more expensive TVs. It still has 10bit colour and a wide colour gamut which are very much HDR components both of which are beneficial over a SDR signal.

Just bought a 49" set for my PS4 Pro, I read though that some of the HDMI inputs are better for 4K/HDR than others? Anyone remember which inputs these are?

Jafku

Just bought a 49" set for my PS4 Pro, I read though that some of the HDMI inputs are better for 4K/HDR than others? Anyone remember which inputs these are?
Should be input 2 and 3. Make sure to go into settings external inputs, HDMI signal format change this to enhance 4K hdmi signal format

Redders

Anyone having an sound sync issues with this TV? The audio on mine isn't matching up with the picture, it's especially noticeable when using the Youtube App on the xbox, but I'm seeing it generally too.

I've had them a few times, think it mostly happens when bringing the PS4 out of rest mode, I haven't had it general use though. It was fixed each time just by turning the TV off and on again.

Madness

You're not an elephant in the room, you just don't know what you're talking about. It is an HDR set in that it can accept HDR10 metadata and display colors and range beyond what is achieved over SDR. It has a wide color gamut, displays 10 bit color gradient, and has over 400 nits sustained brightness. It doesn't meet the full required specs for HDR10 or UHD Premium but the set never claimed to be it.

Even the vaunted KS8000, it drops to 500 nits sustained brightness over time. In a dark room, 400 nits is enough, but in a brighter room, HDR just isn't as impressive because the set doesn't get bright enough. But that doesn't mean there is no benefit over an SDR signal. That is a lie by someone who doesn't understand what HDR even is.

So at least know what you're talking about before you try and explain to others. No set at 43" is still better than this for HDR. At 49", the KS8000 or X900E are the best bets.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224867400

I made this post back in November of last year. It was with HDR on and HDR off. Now like I state, it doesn't mean much. And you can sort of achieve similar results when you turn HDR to on instead of auto. But highlights what HDR vs SDR is. Which is increased colors, better gradients, better shadows and contrast and brighter parts of the image.

brau

Question for you guys.

I am moving from the US to EU. Should i move this TV with me? or upgrade and get another set when i get to my destination? I noticed there was a difference in outlets and read that they might have different electric output that might not match. So just wanted a quick opinion before i got into looking into the whole thing. If i do get rid of it i would probably try to upgrade to a bigger set.

vegohead

Question for you guys.

I am moving from the US to EU. Should i move this TV with me? or upgrade and get another set when i get to my destination? I noticed there was a difference in outlets and read that they might have different electric output that might not match. So just wanted a quick opinion before i got into looking into the whole thing. If i do get rid of it i would probably try to upgrade to a bigger set.

I used this power converter when I bought a Pal ps3 and it works like a charm. I'm pretty sure the European power adapter that's included will solve your problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLY84YW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

wwm0nkey

Just got the 43inch. It was $150 off because it had a minor scratch on the screen and when I say minor...I actually can't see it unless the TV is off and light is facing it a very particular way lol

brau

I used this power converter when I bought a Pal ps3 and it works like a charm. I'm pretty sure the European power adapter that's included will solve your problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLY84YW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thats what i was thinking. Just use adapters. But a neighbor was interested in buying the TV from me, and i was at odds with the thought of it. I really like this set, and i rather keep it than look for a new tv and go through all the process again when i get there.

Thanks for the heads up :D

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

2 and 3 are the ones that support 4k 60hz Gotta turn on enhanced HDMi in the settings too.

Gotta love completely wrong info. That's one hell of an elephant.

Kawika

I am finding that disabling HDR is the way to go with most games. I have swapped a few cables out but please correct me if I am wrong.

Input 2 PS4 PRo
Input 3 Xbox One S

Enhanced HDMI enabled via the options menu.

With the PS4 Pro 2160 RGB will drop to YUV422 or 420 to produce HDR. Says HDMI bandwidth isn't there to do both HDR and RGB Is that true or is that a shortcoming with the PS4 Pro?

Whenever I enable HDR everything seems washed out on PS4 Pro. But I turn off HDR and RGB activates and everything comes alive with really deep color.

I had a little bit better time with Forza Horizon 3 than I did with Horizon Zero Dawn w/ HDR. I still think its just easier to disable HDR. I am still happy with the TV it just has a little more input lag that I am comfortable with and I really wish it supported my OSSC for retro gaming.

The Sony X800E and Samsung MU6300 (2017 versions of the X800D and KU6300) got worse reviews then the 2016 counterparts so for the remainder of this year the 2016 models are still the best TV in the 40" range it looks like.

Can confirm the X800e is a disappointment. Not sure how it compares to the D, but I bought an 800e on sale this week from Best Buy and found it to have AWFUL black levels. I'm talking light grays where there should be blacks. Worse in HDR mode. My four year old Bravia totally kills it in that respect.

Shame, was looking forward to jumping into the HDR space.

Top Bottom