• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

III-V

With the PS4 Pro 2160 RGB will drop to YUV422 or 420 to produce HDR. Says HDMI bandwidth isn't there to do both HDR and RGB Is that true or is that a shortcoming with the PS4 Pro?

HDMI BW is not there, that is correct. This is not a shortcoming of the Pro.

ordrin

HDMI BW is not there, that is correct. This is not a shortcoming of the Pro.

ill add that its also not a shortcoming of the tv either.
as far as im aware no tv allows 4k hdr rgb @60fps

it requires a new type of hdmi. which isnt released yet?

Madness

Get last years X800D if you can. Poor blacks, worse WCG, and no real increase in nit brightness. Don't know why they went IPS for this television.

Is rtings a great source for calibration settings?

It might be a good starting point but you will still want to make adjustments based on your space, lighting and general preference.

Also for the X800D they performed their settings on the 43". That has a different panel than the other models in the D series. The same calibration would have different results.

Just search for your model TV in the Avs forums. There are usually different calibrations to choose from.

brau

From the KS thread. Just thought i would get some more input from here.

Question for you guys.

I currently own a Sony Bravia X800D. I'm pretty happy with it. BUT! I am moving in 2 weeks to Finland from the US. So... would you guys recommend, shipping the TV i currently have, or buying this model (this being the Samsung KS 8000) of TV which seems to be a significant upgrade from what i have been reading.

I would also need for you EU gaffers some suggestions on where to find the TV. I would think upgrading to the 55" or 60" would be good.

I love X800D, and i budgeted to ship it, but i dunno if there is a difference in the voltage output and would have to buy extra things for it. It might just be easier to sell it and upgrade it, so i thought on this one.

Any thoughts would be awesome. Thanks!

From the KS thread. Just thought i would get some more input from here.

Well, this all depends on how much it's going to cost you to ship the x800d vs. how much it would cost you to sell it and get a new KS8000 in the EU.

Also, keep in mind that if you're going to bring an American TV to the EU and something goes wrong with it, getting it fixed or replaced through your warranty is going to be a huuuuge pain.

brau

Well, this all depends on how much it's going to cost you to ship the x800d vs. how much it would cost you to sell it and get a new KS8000 in the EU.

I have someone that would pay $700 USD. That would be 625.14 Euros. Not sure how much the KS800 or the X800D are over there haha.

Also, keep in mind that if you're going to bring an American TV to the EU and something goes wrong with it, getting it fixed or replaced through your warranty is going to be a huuuuge pain.

Yes, i thought about that too. If for some reason it doesn't work i'll be stuck with a TV that i would not be able to get rid of.

I have someone that would pay $700 USD. That would be 625.14 Euros. Not sure how much the KS800 or the X800D are over there haha.

Yes, i thought about that too. If for some reason it doesn't work i'll be stuck with a TV that i would not be able to get rid of.

700$ USD is really solid.

Crunch the numbers and see what works, but if I were you'd I'd sell the TV and get a European model once you get to Finland, even if you just end up getting another X800d. It'll be much less of a hassle if something goes wrong, and you'll avoid shipping fees.

wwm0nkey

Never bothered to check but do the apps support 4k output or would I need a separate device for that? I assume they do but haven't tried them yet

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the android update will screw around with your tv settings...just a warning.

So today I just got a directv ready ad that's just stuck on the top of my input list. I don't have directv and have no way of removing it, can anyone confirm if they see it aswell?

Shin-Ra

Never bothered to check but do the apps support 4k output or would I need a separate device for that? I assume they do but haven't tried them yet
Netflix and Amazon support 3840x2160 and HDR10 video streaming.
YouTube supports 3840x2160 up to 60fps but the app hasn't been updated for HLG HDR yet.

-Mikey-

Looking for my first 4K TV and found this thread. Is there any reason to believe these 2016 models will be discontinued later this year? I'm wondering if waiting until something like a Black Friday is a good idea or if they won't even be available by that time.

brau

Netflix and Amazon support 3840x2160 and HDR10 video streaming.
YouTube supports 3840x2160 up to 60fps but the app hasn't been updated for HLG HDR yet.

Netflix you have to add to your account 4k tho. Netflix has 4k and HDR included with Prime. Tons of awesome shows with HDR and 4k on Prime tho to test out. Botch is awesome, and Red Oaks.

I finally got around to buying the 43 inch the other day. Ive been trying to get the settings just right, but sometimes stuff looks washed out. Im still tinkering with it.

One thing that is extremely annoying is that I keep having network errors. I cant use youtube, or netflix or really anything. For the update, i kinda just kept pressing to search for an update over and over again for like 20 mins till it decided to work. Idk what the issue is. I dont have problems with any wireless devices in my house.

Ledsen

So I bought this TV due to great reviews to use with my PC. I renamed the input to get out of PC mode and to get access to picture setting again. But now every time I reboot the TV or the PC it re-renames the input to PC and locks it to PC mode so I have to do it all over... what the holy hell?

Toe-Knee

I finally got around to buying the 43 inch the other day. Ive been trying to get the settings just right, but sometimes stuff looks washed out. Im still tinkering with it.

One thing that is extremely annoying is that I keep having network errors. I cant use youtube, or netflix or really anything. For the update, i kinda just kept pressing to search for an update over and over again for like 20 mins till it decided to work. Idk what the issue is. I dont have problems with any wireless devices in my house.

I found the WiFi to be next to useless for anything other than googlecasting.

Switched to wired and haven't had a single issue since.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is this the same model as the X8500D series?

No. XD85 has slower OS [which did not recieve Android 7.0], every panel is IPS and backlight strobes at higher frequency [support for 120hz].

XD80 has newer SoC [it gets Androiud 7.0], 43" is VA [best model to get], but it's limited to 60hz.

broony

Yeah same for me. I don't know enough to say if it's actually wrong. It basically looks like the brightness is up and the colour is down, but they are not.

Is there a set of suggested settings anywhere and any tips for troubleshooting?

III-V

Does the TV randomly turn on for anyone? I don't know why it happens.

No, but it will turn on if you press the PS4 controller, and possibly some other remotes.

Yeah same for me. I don't know enough to say if it's actually wrong. It basically looks like the brightness is up and the colour is down, but they are not.

Is there a set of suggested settings anywhere and any tips for troubleshooting?

Yes, user rtings posted settings but do not follow the 10-point grey scale.

Salaadin

So, is last years model of this TV still THE TV to get for 4k HDR gaming in this price range?
I have a PS4 Pro and told myself that Id upgrade soon and I think now is the time. 700 bucks was around my range too....

Dynomutt

So, is last years model of this TV still THE TV to get for 4k HDR gaming in this price range?
I have a PS4 Pro and told myself that Id upgrade soon and I think now is the time. 700 bucks was around my range too....

Yup in the price range far and away. Think the new model no longer uses VA panel is the build quality/finish is not as good.

dolabla

I've been having problems watching live streams on the YouTube and Twitch apps. Anybody else having this problem? They just flat out don't work and they've never worked. I get an error with YouTube and Twitch is just a black screen with the chat window working fine.

I tried uninstalling all updates on the YouTube app through the Google Play Store, but it didn't do anything. I then tried to find how to reinstall updates and I can't find it. So I don't know if my YouTube app is up to date or not. It says the version I have is 1.3.11. And it says Updated on April 18th 2016. Can anybody let me know what yours says?

I had to download the IGN app to watch E3 the other day. The live stream on it worked perfect.

I've been having problems watching live streams on the YouTube and Twitch apps. Anybody else having this problem? They just flat out don't work and they've never worked. I get an error with YouTube and Twitch is just a black screen with the chat window working fine.

I tried uninstalling all updates on the YouTube app through the Google Play Store, but it didn't do anything. I then tried to find how to reinstall updates and I can't find it. So I don't know if my YouTube app is up to date or not. It says the version I have is 1.3.11. And it says Updated on April 18th 2016. Can anybody let me know what yours says?

I had to download the IGN app to watch E3 the other day. The live stream on it worked perfect.

I have all sorts of problems with those apps, I'm pretty sure you can reinstall updates on the play store app.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Got this tv a couple of days ago, haven't connected to internet so I'm guessing on base firmware - should I update to this new one that has been released or try to get hold of some of the older firmwares?

In the process of revamping and moving my gaming setup (currently in my basement, looking to move to one of my bedrooms instead) and the 49" version of this tv is still available at Best Buy for delivery. I am so tempted to pull the trigger...

deadfolk

Anyone have decent settings for the 49" version? The rtings one is for the 43" which has a different type of panel, so isn't much use to me.

I'm really bad at calibrating these things, and just would like a starting point that's reasonable.

nashman

Yeah twitch since last update is black screen with chat. Hit left on remote to get to twitch settings symbol then click on any of the options ,usually 1080p(60), and stream comes on. An annoying extra step but only takes 2 secs.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Anyone have decent settings for the 49" version? The rtings one is for the 43" which has a different type of panel, so isn't much use to me.

I'm really bad at calibrating these things, and just would like a starting point that's reasonable.

I just used the Rtings settings then tweaked the black level to my tastes.

Toe-Knee

Try the black level set to 35-40 for better contrast and overall a better hdr experience.

Kemal86

Broke down and got one of these "like new" from Amazon for $535 (49inch). Hopefully it's in good shape when it arrives in two weeks.

Slightly unrelated but does anyone know how I can watch 4k youtube videos such as Destiny 2 gameplay uploads on my TV? The only time I get the option to select 2160p under quality is if I search 4k video and watch one of those demo videos. I've confirmed the upload is in 4k by opening on PC.

Toe-Knee

Hmm, the XD series is 2018 models?

Would th XE 2017 model suffice, since it too have 4K and HDR?

XD are 2016.

I have no experience with the xe but I think that the xd8505 uses an inferior processor as it's an early 2016 model.

But I reckon it will be OK looking on rtings the xe series seems to have slightly worse contrast.

ordrin

ever since the latest update im getting the most annoying message popping up everytime i power on the tv

it says do i want to configure the 'samba interactive tv service'
i dont because i dont use the set as a television, only for consoles.

how do i deactivate it? (because setup now and then skip doesnt do it)

Top Bottom