• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

deadfolk

I think it depends. The 43" model is about as good as you can do at that size. You're not going to find premium sets at that size range, period. I'd say if you need a TV in the ~40" range, it's a great option.

The 49" is not as good of a deal, IMO- mainly because of the move from the 43"'s VA panel to an IPS one. Once you get into that size range, you're within a few hundred bucks of being able to take a pretty noticeable step up in picture quality by going to a set that has local dimming, higher peak brightness, and a VA panel as opposed to IPS. Just my two pennies.

Even then it depends.

Where I live the 49 was cheaper than the 43. And IPS is better for me, as we don't sit exactly at a 90-degree angle to the TV, and rarely in too dark an environment, so viewing angles are more important than black levels.

Kawika

Picked up 43" version at best buy open box. Grabbed horizon to try out as my first 4k game, holy hell this game is stunning, I'm glad I held off until I got a 4k tv to play it.

Are you playing full RGB or HDR? I actually prefer it without HDR but full RGB.

How does this model compare to the X900E, is there a vast difference?

X900E is a pretty noticeable step up. It can go brighter, has better native contrast, has local dimming, etc. It does have a narrower viewing angle than the 49" X800D, though- due to the VA panel. You'd need to decide how important viewing angle vs. blacks/contrast are for your setup.

Even then it depends.

Where I live the 49 was cheaper than the 43. And IPS is better for me, as we don't sit exactly at a 90-degree angle to the TV, and rarely in too dark an environment, so viewing angles are more important than black levels.

For sure- you need to fit the individual needs of your setup. But a 49" isn't feasible for some setups (like mine, where I sit ~4 feet from my gaming TV in my office). My point was that you can't really do better in the 40"-43" range than the X800D regardless of price. You can definitely do better than the X800D in the 50" size range, however.

Cabal

I needed a 65 inch tv for my gaming setup so after blowing through two Vizio M series tvs in 3 weeks, I returned it and bought a Sony X850E. I love everything about it. The picture quality is outstanding with great smart features. I was really happy about the inclusion of Bluetooth as well, it's been really nice listening to everything using headphones when needed. If anyone is looking for a great tv in the 65 inch range for around 1500, I think this is worth a look.

Okay but does it hinder the TV experience at all? I use netflix/plex and co with my Xbox/PS4 anyway.

I was gonna say no but it kinda does. Sometimes the volume meter is a bit unresponsive or doesn't show up on the screen right away, the input switch UI can lag a bit, most apps run poorly (but video apps don't have any issues). It's serviceable but it does hurt things a little

Question that I'd put here, I guess:

I'm looking for an HDMI switch that has two way output. Do HDMI switches add further input lag? I'd think not, considering they aren't processing the image in anyway, but you never know. And do you guys know of any that support 4k/HDR@60hz pass through?

Daffy Duck

Is this model Sony KD43XD8077SU in the UK the silver version of KD43XD8088?

Edit:
And sorry, is this the 2017 models version? If I remember correctly are these worse than the old one?

GazzaGSi

Question that I'd put here, I guess:

I'm looking for an HDMI switch that has two way output. Do HDMI switches add further input lag? I'd think not, considering they aren't processing the image in anyway, but you never know. And do you guys know of any that support 4k/HDR@60hz pass through?

I bought this one and it works perfectly:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M6CG1XV/

I have PS4 Pro to the input, then one output to my xd80 (tested Ratchet and Clank for HDR) and the other output to my projector. Works with no issues at all.

Edit
This is the US link for the same item
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6CG1XV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Toe-Knee

Had anyone tried using anything via Scart? I hoped up my dreamcast and I can't stop it from changing to full view on the widescreen zoom settings.

Not a major issue but it's annoying having to change it to standard everytime.

ordrin

Had anyone tried using anything via Scart? I hoped up my dreamcast and I can't stop it from changing to full view on the widescreen zoom settings.

Not a major issue but it's annoying having to change it to standard everytime.

ive got my ps2 connected via scart.

works fine. but it doesnt output as high a res as a dreamcast obviously.
not sure if its 16:9 either. (maybe only in the menus)

Toe-Knee

ive got my ps2 connected via scart.

works fine. but it doesnt output as high a res as a dreamcast obviously.
not sure if its 16:9 either. (maybe only in the menus)

I think I've narrowed it down. It happens when the system changes from 50 to 60hz.

Guess I'll finally get around to doing those mods.

Salaadin

Is the 2017 model (x800e) substantially worse than last years? I see a lot of people saying the get last years but no one around me has it in stock.

Madness

Is the 2017 model (x800e) substantially worse than last years? I see a lot of people saying the get last years but no one around me has it in stock.

At the 43" size, yes. Sony made a worse tv with only marginally better brightness levels but worse color gamut aka dci coverage, worse black levels and contrast, I think input lag is even lower. Don't know what they were thinking putting an IPS panel. I swear viewing angles is the biggest red herring in modern tv reviews. Yeah IPS has better viewing angles but when most VA panels are perfect until 25 or 30 degrees off centre, it makes littles difference for the majority of your viewing or at such a small size. If you wanted a 75" and have a living room where sofas are on sides, people routinely view at angles I can envision a scenario where IPS is something to look at but even then I would struggle to say it's worth it. Most non OLED televisions including the recommended ones are VA panels. At 43" try and find last years D series. At 49" I would honestly save and get the x900E series which has drastically better blacks, brightness, etc.

Salaadin

At the 43" size, yes. Sony made a worse tv with only marginally better brightness levels but worse color gamut aka dci coverage, worse black levels and contrast, I think input lag is even lower. Don't know what they were thinking putting an IPS panel. I swear viewing angles is the biggest red herring in modern tv reviews. Yeah IPS has better viewing angles but when most VA panels are perfect until 25 or 30 degrees off centre, it makes littles difference for the majority of your viewing or at such a small size. If you wanted a 75" and have a living room where sofas are on sides, people routinely view at angles I can envision a scenario where IPS is something to look at but even then I would struggle to say it's worth it. Most non OLED televisions including the recommended ones are VA panels. At 43" try and find last years D series. At 49" I would honestly save and get the x900E series which has drastically better blacks, brightness, etc.
Thanks so much for this. I think I know what I'm going to do...

Fhtagn

If $800 is the max one wants to spend on a TV right now, is last year's 49" still the one to go for?

Input lag is pretty important to me for Battle Garegga/Shmups in general, but I also want a nice picture for watching blu-rays.

Toe-Knee

If $800 is the max one wants to spend on a TV right now, is last year's 49" still the one to go for?

Input lag is pretty important to me for Battle Garegga/Shmups in general, but I also want a nice picture for watching blu-rays.

You will definitely get both with last year's model.

I took the plunge and got myself the xbr49x900e. This is my first 4K HDR TV. I need help with HDMI cable suggestions. I am currently using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 Pro and I need a cable for my PC and Xbox. Is the Amazon Basic brands good enough for 4K HDR? I am seeing in the reviews and questions that it does not do 4K HDR 60fps. Is this something I should be concerned for my PC? What cable brand are you all using?

Thanks!

With a budget of $800-1,100, what are some recommendations you guys would make for a 4K/HDR TV?

I always hear "real/true 4K" thrown around as if some TV's labeled 4K aren't actually 4K, and I honestly don't know what any of that is about. Just need something that'll look great when paired with my new PS4 Pro (kinda took advantage of this weekend's GameStop promo and got one without spending a dime lol)

Also, how much do you guys think I could sell a Vizio 65" D650i-B2 for?

There is no possibility to output Audio via USB on this TV, right?
Android TV normally supports this (i.e. Shield TV).
I want to connect my DAC.
I took the plunge and got myself the xbr49x900e. This is my first 4K HDR TV. I need help with HDMI cable suggestions. I am currently using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 Pro and I need a cable for my PC and Xbox. Is the Amazon Basic brands good enough for 4K HDR? I am seeing in the reviews and questions that it does not do 4K HDR 60fps. Is this something I should be concerned for my PC? What cable brand are you all using?

Thanks!

Amazon Basics cables are always excellent quality.
Their HDMI cables are already HDMI 2.0 compliant, so no problem with 4k/60Hz/HDR.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SSD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
With a budget of $800-1,100, what are some recommendations you guys would make for a 4K/HDR TV?

I always hear "real/true 4K" thrown around as if some TV's labeled 4K aren't actually 4K, and I honestly don't know what any of that is about. Just need something that'll look great when paired with my new PS4 Pro (kinda took advantage of this weekend's GameStop promo and got one without spending a dime lol)

Also, how much do you guys think I could sell a Vizio 65" D650i-B2 for?
For around 1000$ you can get the KS8000 with 55".
IF you can find one.

Coxy100

Banned
Anyone else had problems with the Netflix app since the TV update?

No programmes will load for us. The app opens fine but as soon as you try to watch a programme the loading circle comes up and it either gets stuck at 1% or 25% :(

For around 1000$ you can get the KS8000 with 55".
IF you can find one.

Nice, thanks. Any idea how much I can sell the Vizio for? Looking around online, I see it's been discontinued, so it's hard to gauge what it might be worth, and I wanna get as much for it as possible.

Probably a stupid concern, but I wonder how much better the image is on the KS8000. Gonna hate losing that 10 inches lmao

EmiPrime

I have been playing a bunch of PS2 games on this TV via RGB SCART. It's too bad the game mode can't deinterlace 480i content without a ton of judder but in cinema pro mode the games look really good with zero judder, typical PS2 aliasing issues aside but that's very evident on CRTs also. I assume the TV is adding in excess of 50ms of input lag like this but it's very playable for most games.

Anyone else playing older games on this TV? 480i stuff passes my "good enough" threshold but I'd love to hear accounts from those using OSSC/XRGB-Mini. I tried playing some Castlevania on my PC-Engine but 240p content is probably a bridge too far without some external help.

I have been playing a bunch of PS2 games on this TV via RGB SCART. It's too bad the game mode can't deinterlace 480i content without a ton of judder but in cinema pro mode the games look really good with zero judder, typical PS2 aliasing issues aside but that's very evident on CRTs also. I assume the TV is adding in excess of 50ms of input lag like this but it's very playable for most games.

Anyone else playing older games on this TV? 480i stuff passes my "good enough" threshold but I'd love to hear accounts from those using OSSC/XRGB-Mini. I tried playing some Castlevania on my PC-Engine but 240p content is probably a bridge too far without some external help.

Maybe it would be better with one of those HDMI upscaler things? I was wondering how older games on this TV were as well.

EmiPrime

Maybe it would be better with one of those HDMI upscaler things? I was wondering how older games on this TV were as well.

Yeah that's what the OSSC (line doubler) and XRGB-Mini (upscaler) can assist with. I actually think the picture I get on this TV with my PS2 is a lot better than the picture I got on my parent's widescreen CRT back in the day (okay those were all terrible but still!) but I definitely want one of the two for my older consoles and their 240p content.

dEvAnGeL

I have joined the Sony family after a decade of Samsung tv's, i bought the 55XBR900E, i love everything about the tv except that the screen is not fully clear but semi glossy, all the Samsung tv's i had were clear panels so it will take some time for me to get over it completely.

Chinbo37

So if I am in Europe this model - Sony KD-49XE9005BAEP is the "900E"?

Its generally recommended for gaming and video etc?

JoeLT

Anyone know why you can't watch 4K 60fps videos in YouTube? It maxes out at 1080p/60 or 4K/30, nothing in between. Doesn't seem to support HDR on YouTube either. Trying to watch the Xbox One X trailers but most of them are 60fps so I get stuck with 1080p, can this be fixed in a YouTube update? I don't think it's a hardware issue as it seems to play 4K/60 VP9 content fine off USB.

canocha

I'm eyeing up the 49 inch model for this, let me know your impressions GAF if anyone owns this set. Need second opinions before I shell out the cash.

Got the TV and set it up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vXaqz

Didn't have much time to use it yet (had to build the table too).

But 55 is fucking huge!

The TV is bright, picture is clear (even Wii U doesn't look that bad)

The Android interface is a bit slugish, but it works.

Only tried Amazon TV free trial to watch a little bit of 4K HDR content! So clear!

derFeef

I am fighting myself regarding sizes.
I currently have a 37", sitting away 2,20m (7.4ft) - according to rting, I have the best viewing angle with 55" but holy moly that would be huuuuge in my case, it just seems wrong. Even 49" seems too big somehow, 43" should feel more comfy personally but maybe I should hit that middle ground with 49".

I am fighting myself regarding sizes.
I currently have a 37", sitting away 2,20m (7.4ft) - according to rting, I have the best viewing angle with 55" but holy moly that would be huuuuge in my case, it just seems wrong. Even 49" seems too big somehow, 43" should feel more comfy personally but maybe I should hit that middle ground with 49".

Don't go lower than 49".

Unknown?

I'm using my PS2 via component cables. It's alright but the aspect is always 4:3 even if the game supports widescreen. I have resolution set to max and sharpening down to a minimum.

Top Bottom