• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Seen people talk about the 43" panel being VA and the 49" panel being IPS, and this having an impact on image quality.

Is the 43" really that much better? Is it noticeably better for someone who just wants 4k/HDR and is otherwise a casual consumer?

bosseye

I went from a year old VA Sony panel to the 49" IPS X800D and whilst I could see that the contrast seemed very slightly worse, it wasn't a big issue and the 4k/HDR and bigger screen more than makes up for it for me. And you get used to what you have, so after 6 months of this TV it looks stellar to me across all content.

I somehow managed to buy the 43" version from John Lewis even though the website initially said it was sold out; there was still a checkout button though which I clicked on and then it mysteriously asked me only for £455, which is an absolute steal for such a good TV and a 5-year warranty from JL. I thought it was a pricing error and didn't expect my order to go through but I got a confirmation email and the TV is to be delivered on Saturday, so I hope it's not too good to be true!

Ushay

Got the TV and set it up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vXaqz

Didn't have much time to use it yet (had to build the table too).

But 55 is fucking huge!

The TV is bright, picture is clear (even Wii U doesn't look that bad)

The Android interface is a bit slugish, but it works.

Only tried Amazon TV free trial to watch a little bit of 4K HDR content! So clear!

Nice thanks for the impressions, for me it's a tie up between the 49 inch version of this and the QLED equivalent, which is priced extortionately higher at the moment. Unless the Samsung TV's prices drop I'm dead set on getting the X900E in a few months time.

DieH@rd

Banned
I somehow managed to buy the 43" version from John Lewis even though the website initially said it was sold out; there was still a checkout button though which I clicked on and then it mysteriously asked me only for £455, which is an absolute steal for such a good TV and a 5-year warranty from JL. I thought it was a pricing error and didn't expect my order to go through but I got a confirmation email and the TV is to be delivered on Saturday, so I hope it's not too good to be true!

Congratz.

43XD8005 cannot be found in my region since february. :-/

lynux3

Got the TV and set it up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vXaqz

Didn't have much time to use it yet (had to build the table too).

But 55 is fucking huge!

The TV is bright, picture is clear (even Wii U doesn't look that bad)

The Android interface is a bit slugish, but it works.

Only tried Amazon TV free trial to watch a little bit of 4K HDR content! So clear!

Try this for better Android responsiveness.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/40ozx6/howto_remove_featured_apps_section_and_sony/

You won't regret it.

Going back and forth on this 4K set. In a weird place where I can afford one (thanks GameStop!), but unsure if I should pull the trigger or wait for better deals around the holidays or maybe even longer. I've got a Pro now, and my 65" Vizio D series looks amazing paired with it. Not to mention, I can't afford a true HDR monitor bigger than 55", and I've gotten so used to 65", getting something smaller seems odd. So maybe I play the waiting game.

Shame, I found the 55" KS8000 for about $900, seems like a good deal. Decisions…

JoeNut

Wow this tv, I have upgraded from a 720p plasma and it's blowing my mind even in 1080p! Does anyone know if there are like "optimal" settings for tv&gaming? On my old tv I remember the factory settings weren't as good as it could get so I presume it's the same here?

DieH@rd

Banned
From everything I am reading about this TV it seems great but what about input lag? It seems to have a fair amount and more than the LG and Samsung models. Is that correct?

If you have Pro or PC [or will get Scorpio], set it up that them are doing the upscaling to 4K. TV will then accept native 4K signal, and lag will be very good.

Ushay

If you have Pro or PC [or will get Scorpio], set it up that them are doing the upscaling to 4K. TV will then accept native 4K signal, and lag will be very good.

Doesn't this happen automatically when setting the console up? Interesting.

Chinbo37

Good to know but then does this mean that feeding it non naitive sources such as My 360/PS3/Wii U etc will increase the lag?

Question regarding optical out:

I have the TV connected to my stereo DAC via optical.
Sound works fine, but I can't control the volume with the Sony remote.

Audio output is set to variable, but the volume is fixed.

In the advanced audio settings there is an option to control the volume of the digital output, which works fine, so it's no hardware limitation.

Anyone know what I'm missing here?

Toe-Knee

Question regarding optical out:

I have the TV connected to my stereo DAC via optical.
Sound works fine, but I can't control the volume with the Sony remote.

Audio output is set to variable, but the volume is fixed.

In the advanced audio settings there is an option to control the volume of the digital output, which works fine, so it's no hardware limitation.

Anyone know what I'm missing here?

I think that feature is for the ir blaster or hdmi arc.

Not entirely sure though.

I couldn't get it working with my Sony soundbar either.

oni-link

Oh wow, thanks for this, I was pretty happy with my random fiddling but I'm gonna try this and see if it looks even better

I actually came here to ask what soundbar people with this TV would recommend

Ideally I don't want to spend too much, but willing to part with a few hundred if that's what required

Any ideas?

Toe-Knee

Oh wow, thanks for this, I was pretty happy with my random fiddling but I'm gonna try this and see if it looks even better

I actually came here to ask what soundbar people with this TV would recommend

Ideally I don't want to spend too much, but willing to part with a few hundred if that's what required

Any ideas?

I've been using the Sony hct-ct60. Works really well. No audio lag over optical like I had on my last TV.

The menus have become so unresponsive for me lately, changing the volume is just such a pain in the ass, as it doesn't work most the time. Anyone have any tips on how to fix it or anyone having the same problem at all?

Toe-Knee

The menus have become so unresponsive for me lately, changing the volume is just such a pain in the ass, as it doesn't work most the time. Anyone have any tips on how to fix it or anyone having the same problem at all?

Move was doing this. A full power cycle worked for me.

xion4360

Restart the TV and make sure you have fresh batteries of course.

Can someone please explain to me why TV keeps randomly turning on?

Turn off Bravia sync control under external inputs just to be sure its not some synced device powering it on.

ZOONAMI

Yeah I've been having this problem too. Guess I need to power cycle.

greekappi

Hey y'all, sorry to bring this up but it seemed like the right place:

I checked out Sony's new OLED, the XBR65A1E and it was the most glorious thing I have ever seen: Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCR93SJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My question is, how is this for gaming? Is there an input lag analysis of this TV anywhere? I can't believe how amazing it looked. Viewing angle was 100% perfection. It will be my next TV as long as it doesn't suck complete ass for gaming. Does anyone know?

DieH@rd

Banned
If you have a Pro or PC, you can task them to upscale to 4K, which means TV will always recieve 4K signal and thus input lag will be lower.

JoeNut

Hi Folks, absoutely loving my new 55" version - UK Gaf, are you using YouView or the standard UI? i kind of prefer the standard UI but don't see a way to sort channels by HD (i'm using Freeview) which means i'm sticking with YouView for now, am i missing something?

Restart the TV and make sure you have fresh batteries of course.

Turn off Bravia sync control under external inputs just to be sure its not some synced device powering it on.

I did. I come back to my room and see my TV on. This doesn't happen all the time, just once in a blue. Is there way to turn off googlecast off?

Just got an update on my x900e. Think it's just stability.

My x800e would randomly turn off as well. Might have been the power strip. Hasn't happened since I moved.

As a Canadian who never plays multiplayer and has a slightly smaller room, what's my best option out of the TVs?

Have had a Pro for a little while now but have yet to push it to its true potential.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Ever since the update my sound over HDMI is super quiet.
Anybody know how to fix this?

Even cranked up to 90 I can barely hear voices in FFXII.

Kawika

Ever since the update my sound over HDMI is super quiet.
Anybody know how to fix this?

Even cranked up to 90 I can barely hear voices in FFXII.

Is that today's update? I just updated and haven't turned it back on yet. I really hated losing features when my 810c would update.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Is that today's update? I just updated and haven't turned it back on yet. I really hated losing features when my 810c would update.

Yes today's update paired with my PS4 Pro.

Setup is pro directly into HDMI 2 and one of the TV HDMI ports outputting to the sound system.

Worked perfect last night but today it isn't. The only thing I changed was doing a TV update.

Just checked the Xbone S and the sound is low there as well. It must be a TV setting.

EDIT: looks like the problem may have been an HDMI cable that wobbled loose. Removed and plugged back in all the HDMI cables and the sound is loud again.

Top Bottom