• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's hyperbole and circle-jerking of GTA5 is pretty embarassing

MormaPope

Banned
That may very well be the case, but the likelihood of any video gaming outlet getting an exclusive and then giving it a less than stellar review is probably extremely small. Its just not going to happen.

Gametrailers had an entire episode dedicated to Max Payne 3, it was a behind the scenes type of deal. They gave Max Payne 3 a 7.8/10, one of the lower review scores for the game. 7.8 isn't bad or terrible at all, just a observation.

Neff

Any feature on a mega-commercial exclusive hosted on a massive media outlet such as IGN is simply going be selling you the game as much as divulging information about it. It's a sad, inevitable fact.

I mean, these guys might genuinely think it's a really good game, but you sure as hell aren't going to hear any negatives about it, and the positives will be praised in an orgy of superlatives.

It's all the more apparent when GTA really isn't that special to a lot of people anymore.

BigDug13

Yep, I remember it,too. GTAIV was being heralded as the "bestest gamez evar!!" across all of videogame-dom at the time.

But after 2-3 months? People were saying, "It's not as good as what people say," etc. Granted, the same can be said for almost every AAA game, but it was on another level for GTAIV.

Seems to be the case with GTAV. We'll know soon enough.

No doubt, GTA V will be fun, will sell boatloads and be a critical and commercial darling. But will it fare the same on GAF after a few months' time?

I think so. I see it as GTA IV is to GTA III as GTA V is to San Andreas. Late console life, hardware well known, long development time, lots of great mechanics from other games to draw from, robust online mode that has gotten a huge amount of development time.

GTA IV seemed pretty cool when it came out, but it was early in the console's life and it was easily surpassed by games released later on that hardware when developers had a better handle on how to make games on them. While I see this game as squeezing every last ounce of capability out of this aging hardware.

Derrick01

Banned
Guys you can like and even be excited for GTA 5 without resorting to ridiculous hyperbole. It's like whoever's writing this is trying to copy Sessler with his orgasmic praising and overrating. The only thing he's missing is Sessler's thesaurus.

El-Suave

I remember the reviewer of GTA IV (Goldstein) saying he negotiated ad placements with the publisher himself. Business and editorial are not seperate at all at IGN sometimes. Greg Miller is basically working for Sony when he moderates panels for them at conventions. That doesn't invalidate their opinions of course, but it makes IGN a site I haven't visited in a long time except for when GAF links me to it.

Rich!

There's a reason why I regard IGN the way I do - no more than a glorified PR regurgitation outlet.

Then again, that's what's to be expected from the cesspit that is gaming "journalism" nowadays. I get my gaming opinions and news from people I know and from independent sources like GAF.

Couldnt care less what IGN think of GTA V. Their reputation is so far down the shitter, it's swimming in the sewerage treatment centre.

Himself

Rockstar writes some fatty checks and IGN is basically a PR machine. It's the perfect storm for a total lack of accountability.

Gotta love the technique of using second person to feed right into adolescent boys's power fantasies.

none of these gaming sites are to be confused to be like normal news outlets.

anyone who equates game journalism with regular journalism is to be laughed at.

BigDug13

OP needs this quote

"It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a decision I made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I’ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.

Make no mistake; Grand Theft Auto V is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible."

Fuckin' hilarious.

That was difficult to read. I'm embarrassed for the writer.

I'm totally hyped for this game and I have no doubt it will blow GTA IV out of the water, but damn dude...

Pyrokai

I seriously wish I understood what makes these games so loved. I couldn't care less about GTA games, and because of this I seriously question my tastes.

Like, I only wish I were as excited as these guys. Really kinda sucks.

brandnew

Do you think this is embarrassing for Entertainment Weekly?

Review outlets / industry sites are as much about promotion and supporting their chosen field as they are about criticism. That's just how it works.

Here here.

No matter what some of their writers/editors may think, IGN is not a games criticism outlet. It's more like a game enthusiast soapbox. They usually assign previews and reviews to people who are fan(boys/girl)s of the series which leads to this excited, hyperbolic writing.

Also, when IGN articles do get all excited and hyperbolic like this, I think it's genuine. These are people who are really excited about the games they are writing about. What needs to change is the fact that so much weight is put on IGN reviews.

Coolwhip

Banned
IGN is becoming increasingly less pleasant to visit. For some reason they cover movies and tv series a lot now, I don't visit for that personally. And I agree with the OP, their coverage for games like GTA V and Titanfall could have been written by someone in the youtube comments section.

wellthatsucks

Neo Member
I made it through about 3 paragraphs in the first article yesterday before I closed the window. Just pathetic. I'm looking forward to GTAV, but I couldn't care less about reading hyperbolic nonsense like this.

Well you are pretty naive then, looking at IGN's and Take 2's track record.

Naivety is just a lack of knowledge. I know their "track record" and I don't see why that really matters. You see this with EVERYTHING because it's almost entirely impossible not to have a bias.

Is it money hats?
Is it bias?
Is it ... maybe ... they just really enjoyed it?

If this was Super Mario Galaxy 2 people wouldn't give a shit. If it was Last of Us, people wouldn't give a shit. If it was Street Fighter IV, people wouldn't give a shit. But gushing for GTA, or Halo, or any other "mainstream" game and it's all moneyhats and conspiracies.

I doubt R* pays IGN to rate GTA V well, I'm pretty sure it will do that on its own, unless what you're telling me is that R* paid 68 different critics to get it to a metacritic of 98/100?

You know, sometimes people just like stuff.

I read the first page or so of that GTAV preview and god damn.... Yeah. It reads like it was written by a PR person. Some of those quotes are just bad.

Rockstar are notorious for review / preview shady business and IGN seems more then happy to go alone for the ride for less important games so yeah...

massoluk

Banned
I can't say I'm shocked reading more of "This is just like a Hollywood movie!" from a GTA-related features from IGN, or any big gaming websites, really.

Please make it stop.

Or maybe we like a video game we played.

Shocking concept, I know.

My heart fluttered in response to such an averse reaction to the subject at hand, from the original source of the conversation, no less! I settled my hand against my forehead, momentarily breaking from my routine to give thought to the powerful and oppositional statement.

Alas, after finally attaining a true grip on the words in question, a formulation of my own statement had occurred, and in all of its glory, here it shall be posted:

"It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a post the OP made. A purely emergent, back-and-forth dance more exciting than every pre-constructed and predictable GTA thread I've ever half-heartedly F5'ed my way through.

Make no mistake; NeoGAF is made of moments just like this.

Himself

I seriously wish I understood what makes these games so loved. I couldn't care less about GTA games, and because of this I seriously question my tastes.

Like, I only wish I were as excited as these guys. Really kinda sucks.

There's plenty of people on our side of the fence. There's nothing to understand. Don't feel bad.

sappyday

Well can you blame them? I've been drooling over the fantastic cinematic trailers that Rockstar North has put together for us, the fans. Everything we've seen so far shows us that this game is packed with a bunch of fun, meaningful, visceral, amazing content in which we'll be completely lost in once we have that disc in our hand.

Everyday I go on YouTube and look at the trailers only to be amazed once again like a child experiencing ice cream for the first time or when a grown man finally gets fellatio. Looking at the landscape and seeing the Downtown towers in the horizon that is brimming with life that Rockstar North have carefully detailed. Characters that are not only for the first time 3-Dimensional but also as a allegory for today's society. As an 18 year old male I find myself relating to these characters in way that I could not even think. You thought The Last of Us had meaning? True it did, but this has 3x the meaning.

So ask again, can you really blame em?

BigDug13

I made it through about 3 paragraphs in the first article yesterday before I closed the window. Just pathetic. I'm looking forward to GTAV, but I couldn't care less about reading hyperbolic nonsense like this.

It's better to just go to GTA.net and read their summaries to get any new info if you want it instead of attempting to decipher this amateur prose.

I've always wanted to try this hyperbowling that GAF is always talking about.

Every other sentence needs a metaphor. Use lots of one word sentences. Make sure to claim the game will herald a new age of gaming. Act a little afraid of how good it is.

There you go!

Sean

Banned
IGN has the "world exclusive first hands-on" and a whole week of exclusive GTAV coverage with @RockstarGames pimping out IGN's articles to their 1.3 million followers. What did you expect?

I stopped reading previews and reviews ages ago cause of stuff like this.

zroid

Banned
IMO the thing about exclusive previews are they tend to condition the reviewer. I don't believe that any outlet makes a conscious effort to give games higher scores in response to ad money or exclusives (except Famitsu), but it's just natural human bias. More sites should be actively trying to separate their preview coverage from the individual who will review the game. He/she should not get involved with the game in any way prior to being handed the review copy.

antitrop

It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a decision I made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I’ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.

Make no mistake; Grand Theft Auto V is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible

This tells me absolutely nothing. How can so many words say so little?

My heart fluttered in response to such an averse reaction to the subject at hand, from the original source of the conversation, no less! I settled my hand against my forehead, momentarily breaking from my routine to give thought to the powerful and oppositional statement.

Alas, after finally attaining a true grip on the words in question, a formulation of my own statement had occurred, and in all of its glory, here it shall be posted:

"It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a post the OP made. A purely emergent, back-and-forth dance more exciting than every pre-constructed and predictable GTA thread I've ever half-heartedly F5'ed my way through.

im fucking dying

Haunted

RwWdB.gif

MormaPope

Banned
Reading the article was jarring, proper preview next time please, it was disgusting.

Or, you know, you just don't visit IGN anymore.

Feels like complaints about IGN are some sort of secret prayer, that someone's own taste and perspective will be championed and be decided as truth.

HardRojo

Perfect response.
n9chevgznes468z.gif

Or, you know, you just don't visit IGN anymore.

Feels like complaints about IGN are some sort of secret prayer, that someone's own taste and perspective will be championed and be decided as truth.
I won't stop reading IGN just because I dislike one article from one of their editors.

Top Bottom