• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's hyperbole and circle-jerking of GTA5 is pretty embarassing

BigDug13

My heart fluttered in response to such an averse reaction to the subject at hand, from the original source of the conversation, no less! I settled my hand against my forehead, momentarily breaking from my routine to give thought to the powerful and oppositional statement.

Alas, after finally attaining a true grip on the words in question, a formulation of my own statement had occurred, and in all of its glory, here it shall be posted:

"It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a post the OP made. A purely emergent, back-and-forth dance more exciting than every pre-constructed and predictable GTA thread I've ever half-heartedly F5'ed my way through.

Make no mistake; NeoGAF is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible."

That is thread flawless victory right there. Brilliant.

Famassu

I don't think the problem is that they liked it a lot. It's that their description of what they played sounds like even worse hyperbole than Rockstar PR could come up with.

And one part of it is also the presedence set by their completely ridiculous GTAIV "oscar worthy" review that didn't find a single fault in an objectively flawed game (controls like shit in some situations, bad checkpoint placement, bad mission design partly, stupid phone ringing all the time for annoying reasons etc. etc.) and went completely overboard in praising some utterly mediocre or just decent aspects. They simply don't give such previews or reviews which turn a blind eye to the various flawed aspects to other games and often nitpick them to hell and back.

Effect

Wow. The GTAV haters are dumping on acclaim for the game before they've even had a chance to pretend they've played it.

After GTA IV people should be wary of extremely high praise for this game. That's what happen the last time. People should not forget that.

Het_Nkik

I used to eat shit up like this when I was... what, 12? 13? All those IGN Ocarina of Time previews... Fishing was good enough to be its own game! type stuff.

IGN knows its audience.

RulkezX

I'm pretty sure we all know that GTA V is going to be hailed as THE.BEST.GAME.EVER!!11ONE by every single gaming media site and publication.

And R* ain't giving exclusive a play-through of the game in exchange for crappy previews.

Maybe they are just really happy the game doesn't revolve around QTEs, scripted corridors, and other things that have dragged down modern game design?

Sillverrr

I can't even bear to read it. Cringe-worthy.

Two weeks in advance, and knowing how GTA IV turned out, it's hard not to feel cynical. Angry, even, that the same website can get away with spewing forth the same ridiculous hyperbole with regards the sequel. And that Rockstar must have a decidedly dodgy hand in this.

I won't dissect GTA IV, because that horse has been flogged to death. Suffice to say, I personally found it inferior to Vice City and SA in the main area that counts - fun. GTA IV was clunky and there was bugger all to do outside of missions.

However, if GTA V is a return to form - and by that I mean a spiritual successor to San Andreas - the hype will be largely justified, and all will be forgiven (well, maybe not any quotes about "Oscar-worthy" dialogue).

Roll on the 17th.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well all I can say is you're going to have egg on your face when it's even better than these previews suggest.

abrack08

Read the article, was entertained, learned stuff about GTA online I didn't know, and now I'm a little more hyped for the game. Not really much of a GTA guy but this sounds fun.

Damn you IGN!

I agree, despite the fact GTA V is one of my most anticipated games this year, the way some sites are creaming their pants over GTA V is truly ridiculous (not only IGN). It does nothing but put me off the game to be honest, not excite me more.

I've purposely stayed away from message boards and in-depth previews as I don't want any spoilers, that's the best way to go into a game you're excited for these days imo, not to read all that crap and then be disappointed when it doesn't live up to unrealistic expectations that's been set by sites like this.

Thorakai

My heart fluttered in response to such an averse reaction to the subject at hand, from the original source of the conversation, no less! I settled my hand against my forehead, momentarily breaking from my routine to give thought to the powerful and oppositional statement.

Alas, after finally attaining a true grip on the words in question, a formulation of my own statement had occurred, and in all of its glory, here it shall be posted:

"It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a post the OP made. A purely emergent, back-and-forth dance more exciting than every pre-constructed and predictable GTA thread I've ever half-heartedly F5'ed my way through.

Thanks IGN for inspiring poetry like this to breathe into life.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I used to eat shit up like this when I was... what, 12? 13? All those IGN Ocarina of Time previews... Fishing was good enough to be its own game! type stuff.

IGN knows its audience.

To be fair OoT fishing was good enough to be its own game. There have been plenty of examples of games having mini games good enough to be its own thing that I don't fault IGN for that necessarily.

It's everything else that comes off as scummy.

2San

Naivety is just a lack of knowledge. I know their "track record" and I don't see why that really matters. You see this with EVERYTHING because it's almost entirely impossible not to have a bias.

Is it money hats?
Is it bias?
Is it ... maybe ... they just really enjoyed it?

If this was Super Mario Galaxy 2 people wouldn't give a shit. If it was Last of Us, people wouldn't give a shit. If it was Street Fighter IV, people wouldn't give a shit. But gushing for GTA, or Halo, or any other "mainstream" game and it's all moneyhats and conspiracies.

I doubt R* pays IGN to rate GTA V well, I'm pretty sure it will do that on its own, unless what you're telling me is that R* paid 68 different critics to get it to a metacritic of 98/100?

You know, sometimes people just like stuff.
Take 2 are known to pressure news outlets to their bidding, they don't even use money with smaller ones. They simply don't allow you to go to the review event or send you review or the extent NDA to release date. They do enforce minimum grades for GTA games. So you know IGN's track record and still trust them on their word? That's on you. Not sure why you feel the need to mention other games. We are talking about GTAV in this case. I'm hyped for GTAV as well, but this is a fluff piece.

To be fair, basically the entire internet has been busy circle-jerking about GTAV for the last few months. I can't wait until the game comes out so we can all get over it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

inbCaHRG2S39d.gif

deli2000

I'm ridiculously excited for V, more so than any video game this year. But jesus christ IGN. What the hell are doing?

That being said. I'm probably going to look at these "GTA V will suck just like IV" posts in a different light after V is released.

antitrop

I learned my lesson from GTAIV to ignore fluff pieces like this.
GTA IV is still one of the best games of the generation, like maybe in the lower part of the top 10.

I don't think I'll ever understand why there are many on GAF that think GTA IV was a "bad" game. Ya, it was worse than every GTA game on the PS2, but it was still "good".

bwahaha masterful last sentence.

Is no one allowed to be excited for a good game anymore? For all we know they could be genuinely describing their experiences with the game. I guess people would rather just hate a game because it has a lot of hype, but from everything we've seen for the past year it looks excellent.

They aren't reviewing the game yet so of course they're excited and happy to get the chance to play it. Once reviews come out then you can judge their opinions.

TxdoHawk

It just amazes me how effective the hype train is. Six months after IV, you wouldn't have found a soul in support of V on these boards, given how bad the backlash was.

(I thought IV was a decent game, neither Oscar-worthy nor worst game of the forever. I just hope GTA Race is back, mainly.)

ASFM

Neo Member
You'd almost think they were people, excited about a game.

Like GAF has never abused hyperbole to try and tell other people how good a game is.

Let em be excited!

The Boat

It's always the same with "AAA" games and GTA has long been the best example of how the media and comunities receive these games. It's an endless circle jerk filled with hype, and lavish praise that only goes away quite a while after the actual release. Only when the dust settles do the more informed opinions start coming out and the games' flaws brought out to open so to speak.

BFIB

When the first GTA V trailer hit, I flipped on the IGN coverage video.

Greg Miller doing what he does best, which is making sure he's the loudest person in the room, and the other guy who already was proclaiming this to be the best game ever, it was just embarassing to watch.

I haven't really paid attention to IGN's coverage since then (read the first page of yesterday's article), but its clear that they have zero journalistic integrity, and are nothing but a PR hype machine.

MormaPope

Banned
Is this game gonna get 10/10s from everybody like GTA IV? Pretty embarrassing.

Yes, because GTA and Rockstar related properties have never been highly rated before and after GTA IV. GTA V will also be exactly like GTA IV based on my blind skepticism, so my pre-disappointment with reviews is definitely warranted.

Ploid 3.0

rockstar marketing and pr are so incredibly good at their jobs - to a point where i feel like derren brown is running those departments - i refuse to trust anything said about their games for a year or so.

Yeah, take the hollywood quote fore example.

It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a decision I made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I’ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.

Make no mistake; Grand Theft Auto V is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible.

I have a feeling this situation is like the GTA IV previews where they played 2 or so missions (the mission where you hang off of the side of a van, and the mission where you call the lawyer to find which npc he is) and feel like it's full of missions like that maybe because the Rockstar handler said so to impress them.

Naivety is just a lack of knowledge. I know their "track record" and I don't see why that really matters. You see this with EVERYTHING because it's almost entirely impossible not to have a bias.

Is it money hats?
Is it bias?
Is it ... maybe ... they just really enjoyed it?

If this was Super Mario Galaxy 2 people wouldn't give a shit. If it was Last of Us, people wouldn't give a shit. If it was Street Fighter IV, people wouldn't give a shit. But gushing for GTA, or Halo, or any other "mainstream" game and it's all moneyhats and conspiracies.

I doubt R* pays IGN to rate GTA V well, I'm pretty sure it will do that on its own, unless what you're telling me is that R* paid 68 different critics to get it to a metacritic of 98/100?

You know, sometimes people just like stuff.
That's because SMG 1 and Uncharted 2 are legitimately amazing games so people would be willing to give gushing previews such as this one the benefit of the doubt.

With GTA V, on the other hand, we have a sequel to a game that, despite the whole videogaming press drooling over it, to the point of making it the best reviewed game of all time, delivered an underwhelming product on both a gameplay level (subjective opinion of mine, shared by many people) and technical level (at least on Ps3, the game runs and looks like utter shit).

I wasn't around on videogaming forums at the time of GTA IV's release, but I bet that people were actually falling for hyperbolic previews like this in that instance, without bringing out the whole money hat argument, since they still had games like Vice City and San Andreas in their eyes, games which were mostly worthy of the critical acclaim they received.

RayMaker

Banned
The 4 words I learnt from GAF

1.hyperbole
2.Strawman
3.tar baby

I started using them in my everyday life and everyone's like WTF are you saying?

Gaf needs new obscure words no one uses in the real world.

GAFlish.

Top Bottom